The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 3 September 2018, 03:52 AM   #1
Star Ferry
Banned

Is Seiko becoming a WIS brand ?

I've noticed more and more high-end collectors are buying Seiko. I see it more often than Casio, Citizen, Orient, etc.

Was it the Prospex line? The wider distribution of Grand Seiko? Or has it always been this way and I'm just late to the party
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 04:17 AM   #2
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Grand Seiko certainly deserves to be.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:15 AM   #3
the_natural
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1974 View Post
Grand Seiko certainly deserves to be.
This.
the_natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 07:31 AM   #4
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon12

I think that this forum has helped Sieko become more accepted as a collectors Brand

I would have never considered Sieko, but since I’ve been reading here, I may buy a couple

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
From high end to daily wear, I think Seiko is definitely getting broader appreciation among 'serious' collectors/buyers outside Japan, especially GS, some of the Prospex line, and certainly vintage (especially early chronographs, certain King Seikos and pretty much all Grand Seikos). There are several good Seiko forums and sub forums online now, and a growing number of quality Youtube reviews of current and vintage Seiko models.
Old 3 September 2018, 08:47 AM   #6
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
From high end to daily wear, I think Seiko is definitely getting broader appreciation among 'serious' collectors/buyers outside Japan, especially GS, some of the Prospex line, and certainly vintage (especially early chronographs, certain King Seikos and pretty much all Grand Seikos). There are several good Seiko forums and sub forums online now, and a growing number of quality Youtube reviews of current and vintage Seiko models.
As an aside: how do I get my username in Times New Roman?
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 08:48 AM   #7
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
seiko and grand seiko have a solid place in any collection
Old 3 September 2018, 08:51 AM   #8
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
As an aside: how do I get my username in Times New Roman?
Seems to be only mods and SD43 Pledge Members right now, though I notice username fonts change depending on what device I use to view the forum.
Old 3 September 2018, 12:25 PM   #9
JimSnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ask me later.....
Seiko deserves notice
Old 3 September 2018, 01:40 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I cannot speak outside the forum but from my eyes they are building a fan base by merely making top quality watches for far less than the competition.
Old 3 September 2018, 02:34 PM   #11
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
I feel the same way. Before joining the forums I never really considered Seiko. Now, I am aiming towards a GS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 03:00 PM   #12
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I've noticed more and more high-end collectors are buying Seiko. I see it more often than Casio, Citizen, Orient, etc.

Was it the Prospex line? The wider distribution of Grand Seiko? Or has it always been this way and I'm just late to the party

To my mind it's recently beginning more a WIS thing. Either that or I'm late to the party as well.
Old 3 September 2018, 03:57 PM   #13
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I’ve always been interested in Seikos and they are very popular on watchuseek forum. My current collection consist of 3 rolex and 3 seiko watches.
Old 3 September 2018, 04:37 PM   #14
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Yes. Current collection is 3 Rolex and 5 Seiko. I have no interest in expanding my Rolex collection with the games they are playing with their SS models. Next purchase will be a Seiko.
Old 3 September 2018, 04:43 PM   #15
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I think Seiko has always been a WIS brand.. in Japan. It’s just that they used to keep the best for the domestic market only.

They are also a company (a bit like Jamo speakers) that make very high quality models through to mid range and even low range. In Europe/US this might not be a great marketing strategy for top end kit - which is probably why Grand Seiko has been spun off as a separate entity.

If you read around it, since 1910 the Seiko story has been on par with any Swiss watchmaker, peaking in the ‘68 Winter Olympics with the first LCD screen and portable computer. The mechanical/electric/magnetic combination in a spring drive is pretty incredible. I wonder how many people who dismiss it as a quartz watch realise that the quartz is only used as an oscillator in a negative feedback loop to generate a braking effect on the wheel via an electro magnetic force?

The purely mechanical range Grand Seiko HiBeat is pretty impressive too. Ticks at 36,000 bph and barely looses a second a day on the wrist.

The finish and detailing have to be seen first hand, especially in low lighting. The Zaratsu polishing and attention to light and shade really don’t across on the photos.

At the moment a Grand Seiko is a Patek Phillipe grade watch being sold at Omega prices. Superior to most Swiss watches in all but two areas - marketing and liquidity. This may change over time as more people find out about them.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 05:01 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I should, of course, have included dive watches in this list of collectibles.
Old 3 September 2018, 05:13 PM   #17
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

I first got into GS 4 years ago and have noticed a significant increase in interest since then. It seems to be a combination of increasing attention on watch blogs/forums (e.g., here and sites like Hodinkee), and Seiko's own marketing efforts, particularly in the last year when it spun off GS as separate brand. Say what you will about Hodinkee, but there's no denying they get a lot of eyeballs and therefore have some influence on watch enthusiasts.

I'm glad that Seiko and GS is getting more recognition, but the downside is that GS and Seiko have been increasing prices, and some limited edition GS and Seiko watches must now be reserved ahead of time.

Besides the quality of the watches, GS and Seiko ADs also seem to value your business and appreciate your interest. I have enjoyed my GS and Seiko purchasing experiences much more than any experience I have had trying to buy Rolex (sport models), AP, and Patek. With those brands, it's like you're begging them to let you buy their watches, unless you're someone who can spend six figures annually on their brand. It seems that many luxury watch brands these days are more interested in creating hype by artificially limiting production, than making sure all their customers (not just the big spenders) are happy.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2018, 11:06 PM   #18
Frogman
"TRF" Member

Seiko has always been one of the main WIS brands for the guys who know a bit about watches.
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 12:09 AM   #19
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
For me, yes. I have more Seikos than any other brands ( to be honest also because they are so affordable mostly ), and have grown very fond of them. I think in my rotation, I wear Seiko/GS the most. It's just so convenient to wear and offer stress-free wearing.

Grand Seiko offers spectacular finishing on the dial and case for the price and the performance is certainly right on par with anything Swiss brands can offer ( maybe bar certain grand complication ). What's not to love?
Old 4 September 2018, 03:58 AM   #20
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
It has been a wis brand for a long time. Now it is getting to the trendier crowd imo.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 11:51 AM   #21
Lol-x
Facilitator

Seiko is and has been since Martin Sheen wore one in Apocalypse Now an exciting tool watch!

Also the long standing PADI association gives the brand credence.

Now, we have re-editions and limited editions which fuel the fun.

Then we have Grand Seiko which is now a world wide brand and not simply reserved for the Japanese Market.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 02:12 PM   #22
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Based on what I've learned about Seiko and their history, Seiko is WIS brand, depending, I guess, on how one defines the term.

As a status brand, I think Seiko suffered a great deal during the years that Seiko didn't widely distribute their high-end watches.

But the thing that makes the Seiko watches of WIS quality is not so much their higher-end models, but rather the quality of their more affordable models.

A true WIS should be less concerned with status issues than they are with history, reliability, durability, reputation, and style.

Seiko manages to build a watch for just about everyone of the planet.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 09:15 PM   #23
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I have been a Seiko/GS fan since the mid 2000’s. More so owned 3 Seiko’s & 5 GS’s over the years (all traded). I plan to pick up one Seiko diver & 1 GS dress watch in the near future.
Old 5 September 2018, 04:26 AM   #24
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't say that about Seiko in general, but if you talk about vintage Seiko then my answer is yes. However, the same is valid for any vintage watch regardless of the brand IMO.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 07:54 AM   #25
darwin95
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onequik135i View Post
I have been a Seiko/GS fan since the mid 2000’s. More so owned 3 Seiko’s & 5 GS’s over the years (all traded). I plan to pick up one Seiko diver & 1 GS dress watch in the near future.

That’s exactly what I’ve done for last three months. One Seiko diver and one GS dress. Really happy with the quality... especially their dials are second to none. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
darwin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:54 AM   #26
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Yes.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 03:26 PM   #27
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin95 View Post
That’s exactly what I’ve done for last three months. One Seiko diver and one GS dress. Really happy with the quality... especially their dials are second to none. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice! I almost bought that same GS from DavidSW but ended up getting a new one from a local AD.
Old 5 September 2018, 09:50 PM   #28
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
A huge big yes from me. Seiko has been around for a long long time and they produce watches for all level of enthusiasts. Priced for the regular folks as well as those who don’t mind spending a little more for a work of art.

Incidentally, I put my MM300 back on rubber and have not been able to take it off since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 11:15 PM   #29
Frogman
"TRF" Member

Seiko is the glue and the heart of the WIS community.
Its the brand that spreads out over all levels of the hobby, its the gateway, the last stop and everything in between.
Its got great history and heritage, seiko have been great innovators and their watches have an honesty and value many others dont.
Their popularity is growing and growing too, the traditionalist Swiss fans are coming right around to seiko these days, as soon as they get them in their hands they realise what theyve been missing and many start to question the whole 'luxury' market after buying a few seikos.

I Australia Seiko has always been looked on highly, i know thats different to America where i think theres been some bias against asian watches for decades.
Seems even the American WISers who have never been into seiko are starting to change their perception of brand.
I think thats happening because seiko has earned it.
Frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 01:31 AM   #30
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
I look at Seiko as one of the more comparable brands to Rolex. Their level of vertical integration and control over their product is unmatched. They both make durable, reliable and easily serviceable movements and pair them with great designs. So for me it was only logical to start collecting vintage Seikos.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote