The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 November 2005, 03:19 PM   #1
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Newbie needs some help: SD vs Sub which as my first Rolex?

Greetings all,

I posted these same questions on another forum but didn't get a huge response so I'm hoping to get some more help here. I am looking at getting my first Rolex and I hope that the experts out there can share their opinions on some questions that I have?

1) Sub vs Sea Dweller? Would one be more valuable in the long term over the other? Any big difference in make or quality? Is it worth paying more for the sea dweller as they are more scarce?

2) I have a friend who has a sea dweller for a good price but he has no papers or box etc... would the watch be worth nothing without these?

3) Can anyone post a few comparison pics if they can of ones they own?

I don't mean to be a pain, I have done my research but it always helps so much more to read the opinions of owners who are unbiased. I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada so if anyone can suggest an AD that would give me a good deal please do (if such an AD even exists!) I'd be willing to drive a fair distance to save some $$$ as well.

Many thanx to any or all opinions, I hope to post my new Rolex pics here soon!

REN

PS: If you have a lengthy reply please e-mail me @ kingblackbolt@yahoo.com

“Hail to the king, baby" Ash (Army of Darkness 1992)
kingblackbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 03:26 PM   #2
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingblackbolt
Greetings all,

I posted these same questions on another forum but didn't get a huge response so I'm hoping to get some more help here. I am looking at getting my first Rolex and I hope that the experts out there can share their opinions on some questions that I have?

1) Sub vs Sea Dweller? Would one be more valuable in the long term over the other? Any big difference in make or quality? Is it worth paying more for the sea dweller as they are more scarce?

2) I have a friend who has a sea dweller for a good price but he has no papers or box etc... would the watch be worth nothing without these?

3) Can anyone post a few comparison pics if they can of ones they own?

I don't mean to be a pain, I have done my research but it always helps so much more to read the opinions of owners who are unbiased. I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada so if anyone can suggest an AD that would give me a good deal please do (if such an AD even exists!) I'd be willing to drive a fair distance to save some $$$ as well.

Many thanx to any or all opinions, I hope to post my new Rolex pics here soon!

REN

PS: If you have a lengthy reply please e-mail me @ kingblackbolt@yahoo.com
First off Ren, welcome to TRF!! We are glad that you are here and please stick around and enjoy this place.

As for the two watches:
1) I think both hold their value exceptionally well. So as far as that goes, no worries. For 99.999999% of us, the money is not justified in the difference since we don't test out the depth rating of either watch. But that is not what is different about the two watches. The SD will have noticably more heft to it, it is a heavy sucker. The sub tends to sit more comfortably on the wrist and wears slightly slimmer, ie.. less door knocks.

2)It is not worth "nothing" without boxes and papers so long as you know it is 100% genuine, but it is worth alot less if you were going to sell it later.

3) Someone will be along to post the comparison pics, I am sure of it.

And no apology needed, we are all happy to help. RogerF, one of our mods is in TO and may be able to steer you to a good AD, although discounts are not easily had unless you have a personal relationship with the AD.

Best of luck in your hunt and please stick around!!

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 03:28 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Ren,

A very big and warm welcome to this forum. You have definitely taken a step in the right direction, that's for sure!

The SD and Sub-date are both superb watches running the same dependable, accurate and very rugged bulletproof like 3135 movement.

The SD is thicker by almost 2 mm, but the case diameters are identical at 40 mm. The SD dial = 29 mm, the Sub dial = 30 mm.

Both watches have Oyster Fliplock bracelets, but the SD comes with an extra link to add onto your bracelet so that the watch can be worn over a diver's suit for some real professional deep sea diving....something 99.99% of us will never use.

The SD is a flat sapphire crystal without cyclops, the Sub has a cylcops....so you can choose there too....whether you like the cyclops or not!!

The SD is fitted with a gas release Helium valve on the '9' o'clock side...once again meant for saturation diving....and once again something 99,99% of which none of us will ever use.

Some pics for you...

and the Sub...

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 03:30 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

A comparison chart for you...

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 12 November 2005, 03:34 PM   #5
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Welcome to our fabulous forum.

For taking my suggestion and joining the forums I will definately help you out when you are ready to buy. Like I said I am pretty close to my AD and I am sure they will give you a decent deal for a new Rolex.

Here are some pics of the SD

RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 03:37 PM   #6
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Dman,
thanx for the info, Roger actually informed of this site as he posted a reply on that other forum I mentioned and he knows a good AD in this area. He has been the most helpful of anyone I've emailed so far, great guy indeed!

JJ
Nice pics! I don't much care for the cyclops but would like to have a date on my watch so the SD may be the way for me to go. I can tell that I'll be reading and enjoying your posts here for a L-O-N-G time to come!

Guess my arm will be getting a good work out with the SD, maybe I'll have to alternate arms?

Old 12 November 2005, 03:42 PM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

The SD looks like a heavy watch, but is only 13 grams heavier than the Sub-date which is 135 grams - the SD is 148 grams. You will get used to its heft and size within 24 hours, I assure you. The SD is an excellent watch and if you don't much care for the cyclops, then that would be an excellent choice.

Good luck - JJ

Old 12 November 2005, 03:49 PM   #8
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Roger thanx again my friend! Seeing those pics are making me drool indeed... I'm just trying to be cautious and be 100% sure of the one I want as I won't be buying one every few months, rather every year or so. I was able to try on my friends SD and it just "felt right". I will check back on this forum often, now that I know you are one of the moderators I know this place is worth joining!

Do you think we could meet up in the next couple of weeks so that I could go to the place and try a few subs on and get an idea of the price, or would it be better for you if we wait till I have the total cash amount?

My offer of a free lunch when we meet up still stands!

JJ thanx for the great chart!

Old 12 November 2005, 03:52 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

You're welcome, Ren....any time!!

Old 12 November 2005, 03:52 PM   #10
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Roger thanx again my friend! Seeing those pics are making me drool indeed... I'm just trying to be cautious and be 100% sure of the one I want as I won't be buying one every few months, rather every year or so. I was able to try on my friends SD and it just "felt right". I will check back on this forum often, now that I know you are one of the moderators I know this place is worth joining!

Do you think we could meet up in the next couple of weeks so that I could go to the place and try a few subs on and get an idea of the price, or would it be better for you if we wait till I have the total cash amount?

My offer of a free lunch when we meet up still stands!

JJ thanx for the great chart!
Tell you what, in the next couple of weeks I will be bringing a friend to buy a GMT2 as my friend fell in love with my mine, I will give you the heads up a few days in advance and we could all go together. No lunch necessary as I love to go watch browsing.
Old 12 November 2005, 03:53 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF
Tell you what, in the next couple of weeks I will be bringing a friend to buy a GMT2 as my friend fell in love with my mine, I will give you the heads up a few days in advance and we could all go together. No lunch necessary as I love to go watch browsing.
I'll take the lunch, I'll take the lunch!!!

Old 12 November 2005, 03:59 PM   #12
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
I'll take the lunch, I'll take the lunch!!!

Sure meet us at the Firken on the South west corner of Weston and 7. After lunch we can go to Damianis since they are only 2 mins from there.

See you there JJ
Old 12 November 2005, 04:00 PM   #13
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Roger, are you gonna skip a meal?

Old 12 November 2005, 04:01 PM   #14
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Dman,
thanx for the info, Roger actually informed of this site as he posted a reply on that other forum I mentioned and he knows a good AD in this area. He has been the most helpful of anyone I've emailed so far, great guy indeed!
You are welcome! And about that great guy thing, are you sure we are talking about the same Roger?

Old 12 November 2005, 04:01 PM   #15
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Roger you are the man! That is a generous offer and I'd love to tag along for a watch buying session. Look forward to meeting you and your friend. Just e-mail me a few days before and I'm there (hopefully it's on a weekend as that is when I have the most free time) It's 1 am so I'm going to hit the hay for a few hours (and try not to think about a Rolex).

Talk to you soon,
REN

Old 12 November 2005, 04:03 PM   #16
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Quote:
Roger you are the man! That is a generous offer and I'd love to tag along for a watch buying session. Look forward to meeting you and your friend. Just e-mail me a few days before and I'm there (hopefully it's on a weekend as that is when I have the most free time) It's 1 am so I'm going to hit the hay for a few hours (and try not to think about a Rolex).

Talk to you soon,
REN
The dreaming is the best part, just ask JJ.

Old 12 November 2005, 04:05 PM   #17
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
Roger, are you gonna skip a meal?

Old 12 November 2005, 04:06 PM   #18
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman
You are welcome! And about that great guy thing, are you sure we are talking about the same Roger?

Kiss my yellow butt
Old 12 November 2005, 04:06 PM   #19
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Talk to you soon,
REN

Old 12 November 2005, 05:09 PM   #20
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Hi,
Heres a good comparison link:
http://www.bjsonline.com/watches/articles/0005.shtml

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/se...reference.html

I had a similar dilema and in fact have just sold my SD for a Sub date. Can you try both on? Which won for you has an extra something when you look at it.

I find for myself the Sub a little more comfortable when wearing all day. In saying that the SD is a superb highly respected watch with an enormous pedigree. Its Rolex's top of the shop in sports tool watches.

In terms of value, in the UK no papers and accessorys will affect its resale value, but again it depends on how much you pay for it in the beginning and whether its a keeper for you or not.

Which ever you choose imho you have a choice of two of the finest Rollies available

Enjoy the experience

Last edited by Baptistman; 12 November 2005 at 05:11 PM..
Baptistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 07:25 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF Ren just try both on see which one smiles back.On
the wrist you will feel no difference between both.My pref is the SD
not a huge fan of cyclops myself,but I have both models.As for value
well for me that don't come into it,but all Rolex hold there prices
just that bit better compared with other brands.Regarding
the box its not that important but might knock a few pounds
off price,as long is watch is genuine it will resell without
problems.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2005, 11:06 PM   #22
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Welcome Ren. I think the guys have just about covered your request, like Padi says, try them both and see which one feels best. You won't go wrong with either.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 12:33 AM   #23
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Let me add my welcome to TRF, Ren. Nice to have you here. Any friend of Rogers is..... well, that's another story, but we'll overlook that in your case.

Oh, and I bet the only reason Roger put you up to this thread was so he could post more pictures of his collection.

BTW, I'm a GMT man myself, so I can't really help you out. And I happen to like the cyclops. To me, it's one of Rolex's most distinguishing features.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 12:45 AM   #24
kingblackbolt
"TRF" Member

Greetings one and all,

Thanx for the BIG welcome hug to the RF! All thos pics are making me drool all over again for my soon to be on my wrist Rolex.

Jon,
Are you the reviewer for most of those articles? There is so much good info there, you've saved me at least a few hours time scouring the net. The facts are very well presented with unbiased opinions, perfect mix! I really need to decide now, do I get the SD or the Sub? Decisions, decisions...

I'm off to brunch so I'll chat with you all soon.

REN

Old 13 November 2005, 02:05 AM   #25
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Oh I forgot to add, I see you are a Python fan.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2005, 02:07 AM   #26
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Let me add my welcome to TRF, Ren. Nice to have you here. Any friend of Rogers is..... well, that's another story, but we'll overlook that in your case.

Oh, and I bet the only reason Roger put you up to this thread was so he could post more pictures of his collection.

BTW, I'm a GMT man myself, so I can't really help you out. And I happen to like the cyclops. To me, it's one of Rolex's most distinguishing features.

Now was that nice?

I am glad Bart is yellow, it makes it so much easier for me to say.......

KISS MY YELLOW BUTT (I know I got a whole lotta butt)