The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 February 2013, 02:02 AM   #31
cdnyc
"TRF" Member

Dino, can we get another wristshot while you're here?
cdnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 03:28 AM   #32
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
^ sure. Here are a few photos of my 2012 Jumbo. As you can see lighting really affects the color of the dial.

Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 03:49 AM   #33
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
The movement in his AP has been around for decades. It has been used by AP, VC, and PP. The issue with his watch is a shame, but I'm sure it will get sorted out. Its not something one commonly hears about with the Jumbo.

Staying away from AP because of 1 or 2 instances of watch having a problem is silly. I had 2 problems with my first inhouse movement Rolex Daytona. They were fixed under warranty and that was the end of it. It didn't keep me from buying subsequent Rolex watches and I've never had problems with any others I've owned even another Daytona.
I can see why it would deter customers, rolex makes roughly a million watches per year, and the ammount of problems you hear with new models are very slim to none.

Just by viewing this forum theres been new APs sent out with dings, plenty of watches coming back in poorer condition than when they went into service, problems such as this gentlemans with his jumbo. you figure with their production being at 5% of rolexes that they would make sure this kind of stuff NEVER happens.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 04:00 AM   #34
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
I can see why it would deter customers, rolex makes roughly a million watches per year, and the ammount of problems you hear with new models are very slim to none.

Just by viewing this forum theres been new APs sent out with dings, plenty of watches coming back in poorer condition than when they went into service, problems such as this gentlemans with his jumbo. you figure with their production being at 5% of rolexes that they would make sure this kind of stuff NEVER happens.
I have to disagree. I bet there's a huge number of Rolexes that have issues that simply aren't reported on forums. I just sent in a new 179161 for service under warranty due to really low amplitude. I've also sent in my Daytona for a sticking chrono hand, YM for sticking datewheel, and others over the years. How about a permanent bracelet link coming apart on a brand new Rolex? All new watches but issues I didn't bother reporting here. There are also numerous accounts of Rolexes being scratched while in for service. I can count on one hand all the issues with my APs.

Don't believe the hype/marketing. All watches/brands have issues. It's how they are resolved that's important.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 04:10 AM   #35
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnyc81 View Post
The fact that it worked for 14 days makes me wonder if there's a particular area of the date wheel that's catching. Maybe there's a tight fit or a weak gear lock that affects only in a particular area of the date wheel. Are you noticing that certain dates on the date wheel seem to be getting stuck consistently?

I'd hate to think a winder can't be used for a watch that:
1 - is not typically used as a daily beater
2 - only has a 40-hour reserve and
3 - has no date quickset.
I actually have a couple of clients with some Complications AP's based on the 2121 movement reporting that the winder doesn't wound the watches.

So i'm pretty confident that your winder is the problem not the watch.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 04:53 AM   #36
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post

Nonsense. All companies have products with failures, defects, and issues. My father and I each sent Rolex Daytonas in for service years ago and each came back in worse condition. I've seen new Rolex watches with dings, imperfect lugs, and other issues. There was a guy on the forum complainining that his Rose Gold President changed color with exposure to water even though their metal composition is supposed to prevent that. I've seen Omegas with a feather under the crystal and clasps on diving watches that would not stay shut. I've seen VC's with bracelet links that lock up, and a buddy had an Overseas Chronograph that had to go in for service within 6 months of purchase because the chrongraph function wouldn't work correctly.

We all hope that we will get a perfect item without problems. However, in an imperfect world, the real measure of whether a company is worthy of your business isn't how the deal with you when things are going smoothly, its how the treat you and work to resolve your problem.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 09:40 PM   #37
yonggoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
So i'm pretty confident that your winder is the problem not the watch.
first of all thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice regarding my woes...

in this case of the winder being the problem I'm not too sure because the hours and minutes are otherwise ticking as they should be...

and there was one instance when I was actually wearing the jumbo over midnight when the date failed to increment...
yonggoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2013, 02:43 AM   #38
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
first of all thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice regarding my woes...

in this case of the winder being the problem I'm not too sure because the hours and minutes are otherwise ticking as they should be...

and there was one instance when I was actually wearing the jumbo over midnight when the date failed to increment...
Of course it could be the watch itself but i know people that had issues with the same cal. using winders.

If you leave it for SC do describe the problem and your test result over that time-frame.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2013, 03:47 PM   #39
yonggoh

it failed to increment again yesterday from 17 to 18

:
yonggoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2013, 04:37 PM   #40
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
it failed to increment again yesterday from 17 to 18

:
I feel your frustration... Although the 2121 is a delicate movement, I believe its reliability is well-proven after 40 years. Your case might be unique and I hope that APSC would resolve it amicably.

I'm fortunate to own a few APs without problems so far. So please don't let one instance to dent your confidence in an otherwise great brand. Of course, it is your freedom to put your money where you're most comfortable with
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 07:37 AM   #41
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
I am having same issue. ..wonder if OP resolved? Has sat on winder ....but time is fine, just date still showed 24 vs today's date 26.

Any other jumbo owners have this? Mine is a new i series.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 09:40 AM   #42
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Oh my. For someone like me who is just trying to decide between the Jumbo or something else (maybe a 15400 or a Diver - different but nice pieces), this sounds quite disappointing. I know, I know, there could be issues with any watches out there, but...isn't 2121 a bit too delicate, comparing to, say, 3120? Not affirming anything here, just wondering. Actually, balancing the pros and cons for my next watch purchase is proving way tougher this time. I am also curious to hear the cause/solution for the date issue.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 11:27 AM   #43
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
I am having same issue. ..wonder if OP resolved? Has sat on winder ....but time is fine, just date still showed 24 vs today's date 26.

Any other jumbo owners have this? Mine is a new i series.
Mine is also an I series and so far I have not had issues with the date change with the 15202. Did yours stop changing dates completely or like the OP's where it is changing inconsistently?

Have you tried manually moving the time forward to advance the date and see if that works, or if the quick date setting function works?
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2014, 03:18 PM   #44
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

I used quick change to advance and set last week when received. Has been on winder ever since because I need another link (different story )and haven't paid attention until today. . Reset today by advancing time through crown forward rotations only and will seewhat happens.

Just after midnight and it did advance this time. But now under watch. ..
Old 27 December 2014, 03:22 PM   #45
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
I used quick change to advance and set last week when received. Has been on winder ever since because I need another link (different story )and haven't paid attention until today. . Reset today by advancing time through crown forward rotations only and will seewhat happens.

Just after midnight and it did advance this time. But now under watch. ..
I'm assuming winder is set to bi 800tpd?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2014, 01:14 AM   #46
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

It's on an Orbita rotorwind model with 10 minute cycle setting...haven't found clear TPD info on them though. Equivalent estimates range from 650-950

But if winder was the issue why is the time ok? Only the date change was an issue.
Old 28 December 2014, 03:57 AM   #47
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUpanerai View Post
Try this first before you go to the AD... unset the crown to the position where you can move the hands. Then go to the 10:45ish PM to 12 PM mark to try and advance the date, keep doing this a few times to get the date mechanism going, then try and see if this resolves the problem. If this doesnt fix it bring it into the AD. Try and advance it at least 10 days using this cycle to make sure that everything is working okay.

I know this is an old thread but recommend the above. My Jumbo had an issue one day where it would advance to the next day only to "click" back to the previous day. The trick was to fully wind the watch and NOT use the quickset feature. I did a full rotation of the hands and the date started advancing normally. A bit quirky but it corrected itself.
Old 1 January 2015, 02:02 AM   #48
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

2121 has that peculiar way of setting the date. Is this the only way of moving the date wheel, or can it also be adjusted by moving the hands a full 24-hour round? Thanks.
Old 1 January 2015, 06:31 AM   #49
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

When I reset the date after the issue I rotated the hands the full 24 hour round for each day needed. So far things have been ok.
Old 4 January 2015, 05:17 AM   #50
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
Didn't read whole thread but I notice if the watch isn't wound it can have issue changing date. Almost as if it gets stuck half way and doesn't have enough juice to flip the date wheel.
Old 21 January 2015, 04:02 AM   #51
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When I reset the date after the issue I rotated the hands the full 24 hour round for each day needed. So far things have been ok.
Still ok, Bill? I hope it is. Good luck getting the additional links too.
Old 21 January 2015, 03:46 PM   #52
applegrapefusion
Banned

any update?
applegrapefusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 12:34 PM   #53
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

New link came in few days after AP opened again for the year. They had sent me the link for old jumbo...now the fit is just right

Still watching the date...it had failed again on the 5th . I advanced the date using quickset (back to 1030, fwd past midnight) this time and stuck back on winder. Have worn once or twice per week since and on winder the rest. Time keeping hasn't been affected at all but just the date.
Old 22 January 2015, 08:48 PM   #54
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Thx...was thinking getting a jumbo...hope it goes well.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2015, 11:05 PM   #55
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
New link came in few days after AP opened again for the year. They had sent me the link for old jumbo...now the fit is just right

Still watching the date...it had failed again on the 5th . I advanced the date using quickset (back to 1030, fwd past midnight) this time and stuck back on winder. Have worn once or twice per week since and on winder the rest. Time keeping hasn't been affected at all but just the date.
Did you report the issue to AP at all? What did they say? I am considering buying the Jumbo, so am very interested in figuring out what sort of issues I might face. 2121 is a gorgeous movement, but it looks so delicate and fragile these days... Well, good luck Bill.