The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 September 2020, 11:58 AM   #1
Pirate89
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 39 / black dial
Op 39

Will value of OP 39 increase?
Pirate89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:00 PM   #2
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

I think the only one that might increase a significant amount is the white dial. That may die off quickly but time will tell. I saw DavidSW have a white OP39 for $8k. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it
vinny84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:02 PM   #3
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Only if the freckled ducks maintain social distancing during mating season.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:14 PM   #4
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
In my view a quick decrease in value largely because the OP41 is substantially similar in size yet offers a wider variety of colors plus the 70 hour power reserve is key.
Old 2 September 2020, 12:30 PM   #5
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
I think the only one that might increase a significant amount is the white dial. That may die off quickly but time will tell. I saw DavidSW have a white OP39 for $8k. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it
When did you see this?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:31 PM   #6
IR201
"TRF" Member

It's got to have a rather hard cap right? At some point quick in the value escalation people would prefer other watches I assume?
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:34 PM   #7
vinny84
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
When did you see this?

Yeah I messed up. I saw a DJ not a OP. I was skimming pretty fast through the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vinny84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 01:48 PM   #8
toomann
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
I'm not sure I agree for this reason. I was recently in the last few days trolling a few resellers on my 114300 op39 which retailed at $5900 when I bought mine at the end of 2016 and I'm now seeing prices between 6K and 7K for never worn and ones that have been worn. Some with all paperwork and others not. Whether they get those prices is a different story of course. My point is that a few years ago the prices being asked for were in the high 4k to lower to middle 5k. Either way it doesn't matter a whole lot since I don't ever plan on selling mine. I usually buy what I like and rarely sell. But if it holds it's value that's always a plus.
toomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 02:08 PM   #9
CK19
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
It's got to have a rather hard cap right? At some point quick in the value escalation people would prefer other watches I assume?
I think this is it. Will used op39s creep into the $6k-7.5k, (white being the highest, grape lowest) probably. But, a hard cap at the range where a Milgauss, exp2, airkjng, exp, 5 digit subs begin
CK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 02:16 PM   #10
Rubyrex
"TRF" Member

I think the grape will be more $$
Rubyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 02:26 PM   #11
matPORTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
I would have liked to have acquired an OP39 white dial, however I certainly was not going to pay the premium that "reputable re-sellers" in Australia have been asking for them, and I've been to just about every AD & Boutique only to be told they were getting no more stock.

One re-seller in Sydney, Australia had a listing up for a few months at AUD$9800 (US$7200 on the latest conversion). Predictably, that listing finally came off their website first thing Tuesday morning Sydney time. I'm wondering if the listing will come back online at a higher price?

The highest asking price I currently see on C24 is US$8382 (new / unworn). Even if the greys take most of the new OP41 stock and put them up at a 20% premium, that is still a cheaper ask than this.

Much like is happening with The Hulk, the sellers will probably try to squeeze the market until the new stocks hit the market, and then prices will probably come back to parody, stabilize, then slowly start creeping back up again as demand increases (after we all start seeing collection photos, wrist shots and people wearing them in the flesh).
matPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:57 AM   #12
Jrsanchez
Banned

Its even more now
Jrsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:05 AM   #13
london_v
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by matPORTS View Post
I would have liked to have acquired an OP39 white dial, however I certainly was not going to pay the premium that "reputable re-sellers" in Australia have been asking for them, and I've been to just about every AD & Boutique only to be told they were getting no more stock.

One re-seller in Sydney, Australia had a listing up for a few months at AUD$9800 (US$7200 on the latest conversion). Predictably, that listing finally came off their website first thing Tuesday morning Sydney time. I'm wondering if the listing will come back online at a higher price?

The highest asking price I currently see on C24 is US$8382 (new / unworn). Even if the greys take most of the new OP41 stock and put them up at a 20% premium, that is still a cheaper ask than this.

Much like is happening with The Hulk, the sellers will probably try to squeeze the market until the new stocks hit the market, and then prices will probably come back to parody, stabilize, then slowly start creeping back up again as demand increases (after we all start seeing collection photos, wrist shots and people wearing them in the flesh).
$7200 is a good price you should have gone for it. Prices won’t drop as it’s a discontinued model so it’s pointless comparing it to mrsp. The white OP is the one to go for and imo will hold it’s value the strongest given its 2 year production run.
london_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:15 AM   #14
nokaoi1
"TRF" Member

Buy it to wear and enjoy. Don't worry about value increasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nokaoi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:41 AM   #15
Buzzlite
"TRF" Member

OP39 will increase in value period, all dial variants. the production run is only 5 years on these, these are for sure a classic and in the years to come they will increase, my prediction for these OP 39s is 10k within the next 5 years.
Buzzlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:44 AM   #16
london_v
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzlite View Post
OP39 will increase in value period, all dial variants. the production run is only 5 years on these, these are for sure a classic and in the years to come they will increase, my prediction for these OP 39s is 10k within the next 5 years.
Agree. 2 year run for the white and black so these are even more exclusive.
london_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:46 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate89 View Post
Will value of OP 39 increase?
If history has any meaning, Rolex values will stay relatively stable or increase.

It does beg the question of why you want to buy a wrist watch.