The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2020, 08:58 PM   #1
Sam80
Banned

GMT Master II and Others!

All,

Both BLNR and BLRO SS are prices the same by Rolex but why is the BLRO way more expensive I’m the grey market? Does this mean that BLRO is better but for the money (I know a watch is bought to be worn and enjoyed and not as investment) but still curious? Aside from down the road value, is it BLNR or BLRO?

Another thing ... is a better combo deepsea black or Sd43 with either of the above?

Last ... does anyone have an opinion about the Omega seamaster 36th American Cup edition? It looks nice but very sporty. The only way to make it dressier is to get a SS bracelet ... right? Is it good buy and will hold value or like all omegas (though great watches) are tough in resale?

Thank you all and sorry for the too many questions
Sam80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:06 PM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam80 View Post
All,

Both BLNR and BLRO SS are prices the same by Rolex but why is the BLRO way more expensive I’m the grey market? Does this mean that BLRO is better but for the money (I know a watch is bought to be worn and enjoyed and not as investment) but still curious? Aside from down the road value, is it BLNR or BLRO?

Another thing ... is a better combo deepsea black or Sd43 with either of the above?

Last ... does anyone have an opinion about the Omega seamaster 36th American Cup edition? It looks nice but very sporty. The only way to make it dressier is to get a SS bracelet ... right? Is it good buy and will hold value or like all omegas (though great watches) are tough in resale?

Thank you all and sorry for the too many questions
#1 - The BLRO is more desired, supply and demand. The Red/Blue combination has a lot of history and the new version hasn't been out as long as the BLNR Blue/Black

#2 - Either are fine as a combo with a GMT. The DSSD is similar in diameter but much thicker. The SD43 is a nice "meet in the middle" watch between the Sub and DSSD. Larger wrist is needed for either IMO

#3 - Love the America's Cup LE Planet Ocean. Beautiful watch, love the white dial and the entire red/white/blue combo. You could always order a SS bracelet with it and change it out from time to time. I prefer it on the blue strap with red trim. Sort of completes the package. Doubt it will go up much in value. If you like it, get it, don't get hung up on value on any of these.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:09 PM   #3
sam3536
"TRF" Member

I personally like the colours on the blro. More subtle not in your face blue. But I do see why some might prefer the blnr, its just a matter of taste.
As for the price, I believe it might be due to the fact that the Pepsi has an older history with Rolex.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
sam3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:26 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
#1 - The BLRO is more desired, supply and demand. The Red/Blue combination has a lot of history and the new version hasn't been out as long as the BLNR Blue/Black

#2 - Either are fine as a combo with a GMT. The DSSD is similar in diameter but much thicker. The SD43 is a nice "meet in the middle" watch between the Sub and DSSD. Larger wrist is needed for either IMO

#3 - Love the America's Cup LE Planet Ocean. Beautiful watch, love the white dial and the entire red/white/blue combo. You could always order a SS bracelet with it and change it out from time to time. I prefer it on the blue strap with red trim. Sort of completes the package. Doubt it will go up much in value. If you like it, get it, don't get hung up on value on any of these.

What Mike said
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:39 PM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post

This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:43 PM   #6
Brny11
"TRF" Member

GMT Master II and Others!

BLNR to me is a watch I would have wanted when I was 18 (not sure why, but it does nothing for me now). BLRO is an absolute beauty. A little loud for my tastes (currently own BB58 blue & black, explorer 1 and subC date, aka I love subtle). Nonetheless, I would definitely love a BLRO in the collection.

Not sure if that echos the community or just my opinion but I’d pay grey for BLRO before I’d pay MSRP for BLNR.

I’d choose sd43 over deep sea. Both too big for me but sd43 is one of the greatest divers out there (along with SD4K). JC is cool, but again I have 0 interest in a one inch thick watch lol.

Not a fan of Omega. Love Tudor, grand Seiko, zenith, JC, and Rolex. So no opinion on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:52 PM   #7
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
The BLNR was made because they couldn't make the BLRO to scale.

The BLRO is the original GMT color way. It is the only historical reference. It is also more technically difficult to make, and almost certainly made in fewer numbers. It is harder to get than basically any other Rolex, and is up there with the Daytona and SkyD in blue.

Simply put, the BLRO is just on a different level when you begin talking prestige.
Old 25 November 2020, 03:08 AM   #8
lacroix
"TRF" Member

BLRO is the winner here... historically, it's a legendary watch for its many many years of evolution.

However, it's hard to find either from an AD at this time. Personally, I do NOT pay over retail ever (watches are not a need), so if my AD presents me with either color combo, then go for it. Both are beautiful collector's pieces IMHO!!!
lacroix is offline   Reply With Quote