The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 October 2020, 08:17 PM   #1
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Incoming...

Dear fellow board members,

A dream has come true. I have just purchased my first Patek Philippe. I have been (mostly) lurking a bit on this forum, gathering information and receiving some very friendly advice from various members, which I am very grateful for.

A Patek Philippe has been on my wish list for many years. Earlier this year I have decided to make that dream come true. I really, really love the Aquanaut, mostly the Traveltime (5164a). The current grey prices are a bit too much for my liking (and wallet :-)) so I guess I will have to be patient.

While in Paris recently I fitted on the Calatrava Traveltime (5524), both the G and the R version. I immediately fell for the 5524R, with its warm rose gold with copper and gorgeous sunburst brown dial. This made me reconsider the Aquanaut Traveltime. It almost gave me sleepless nights and I spent hours and hours looking at online pictures, brochures, magazines, et cetera. I really could not make up my mind (although JorgeCCW almost got me convinced that the 5524R should be the one with the gorgeous pictures of his watch on various straps), which I assume has a lot to do with the fact that the watches are so different: a comparison is almost not possible and unfortunately buying them both is not an option for me (first world problems, I know!).

After having tried on various non-Traveltime Aquanauts (both former and newer models), I could recently try on a 5164a. This convinced me to stick with my first choice. But like I said, given the grey prices I will have to be patient...

This made me look at another Patek Philippe that has been on my wish list for ages... the Golden Ellipse. My first memories to this watch go way back, back to the 80's in fact. My father, a watch enthousiast, had a brochure of Patek Philippe that he showed me various times when I was a 7-9 years' old boy. I remember that I liked the Nautilus but found it a bit strange because of its 'ears'. :-) The one that I kept looking at over and over though, was the Ellipse 3738 with the blue dial. That dial really did it for me, the blue that had so many different tones of blue in it...

During the decades that passed, I have enjoyed watches immensely. The Ellipse stayed on my mind but I considered it out of reach. The memories of its blue dial really made me look at other watches with blue dials. In fact, it made me walk into our local jeweller's store one Sunday morning when I saw a blue dial Rolex that reminded me of the Ellipse's dial. I fitted on the 116.000 and immediately bought it. I really love that watch btw, it is so simple and made my other watches retire for quite some time because it is so comfortable to wear.... However, I am drifting off...

I decided that my first Patek should be an Ellipse! I tried on the current ones, and while I love them both, various things made me consider going for a model that is no longer available:
  • the 5738P is absolutely stunning with its mesmerizing blue dial. And whlie the platina is gorgeous and makes it less of a dress watch, it also made a little bit 'cold' to me;
  • the 5738R with its rose gold is so warm and the bigger crown really fits to its bigger size; however, the black dial is a bit flat, certainly compared to the blue sunburst dial;
  • the 5738 is a great size and it certainly looked good on my wrist; however, I thought it might perhaps be a bit too big for a classic (dress) watch. It convinced me that the 3738, although in today's standards it is on the smaller side, would fit me as well;

The hefty price tag of both watches and the considerable price difference between the R and the P while I prefer rose or yellow gold, convinced me not to pull the trigger on either of them.

So I kept looking on Chrono24 and found a really nice one. I have never bought a watch online (I'm the type of guy that also wants to see and flees clothes before buying instead of ordering online) but the small amount of Ellipse's on offer and COVID-19 making it difficult to travel, left me no other option. I found one that looked very promising. After checking the reviews and going back and forth with the company on Chrono24 and WhatsApp, I decided to test my luck and pull the trigger... The company that I both it from had it delivered totallly wrapped and protected, very nice.

And so my Patek Ellipse, with box and papers, arrived and is proudly sitting on my wrist now. It looks pristine and I am very, very happy with it. It is such an elegant timepiece with its special elleptical form, yellow gold, and... its gorgous blue dial...

We'll, let the pictures speak for themselves...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 08:39 PM   #2
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Love the blue dial. Very nice and classy!
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:40 PM   #3
watch-guy.com
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
Dear fellow board members,

A dream has come true. I have just purchased my first Patek Philippe. I have been (mostly) lurking a bit on this forum, gathering information and receiving some very friendly advice from various members, which I am very grateful for.

A Patek Philippe has been on my wish list for many years. Earlier this year I have decided to make that dream come true. I really, really love the Aquanaut, mostly the Traveltime (5164a). The current grey prices are a bit too much for my liking (and wallet :-)) so I guess I will have to be patient.

While in Paris recently I fitted on the Calatrava Traveltime (5524), both the G and the R version. I immediately fell for the 5524R, with its warm rose gold with copper and gorgeous sunburst brown dial. This made me reconsider the Aquanaut Traveltime. It almost gave me sleepless nights and I spent hours and hours looking at online pictures, brochures, magazines, et cetera. I really could not make up my mind (although JorgeCCW almost got me convinced that the 5524R should be the one with the gorgeous pictures of his watch on various straps), which I assume has a lot to do with the fact that the watches are so different: a comparison is almost not possible and unfortunately buying them both is not an option for me (first world problems, I know!).

After having tried on various non-Traveltime Aquanauts (both former and newer models), I could recently try on a 5164a. This convinced me to stick with my first choice. But like I said, given the grey prices I will have to be patient...

This made me look at another Patek Philippe that has been on my wish list for ages... the Golden Ellipse. My first memories to this watch go way back, back to the 80's in fact. My father, a watch enthousiast, had a brochure of Patek Philippe that he showed me various times when I was a 7-9 years' old boy. I remember that I liked the Nautilus but found it a bit strange because of its 'ears'. :-) The one that I kept looking at over and over though, was the Ellipse 3738 with the blue dial. That dial really did it for me, the blue that had so many different tones of blue in it...

During the decades that passed, I have enjoyed watches immensely. The Ellipse stayed on my mind but I considered it out of reach. The memories of its blue dial really made me look at other watches with blue dials. In fact, it made me walk into our local jeweller's store one Sunday morning when I saw a blue dial Rolex that reminded me of the Ellipse's dial. I fitted on the 116.000 and immediately bought it. I really love that watch btw, it is so simple and made my other watches retire for quite some time because it is so comfortable to wear.... However, I am drifting off...

I decided that my first Patek should be an Ellipse! I tried on the current ones, and while I love them both, various things made me consider going for a model that is no longer available:
  • the 5738P is absolutely stunning with its mesmerizing blue dial. And whlie the platina is gorgeous and makes it less of a dress watch, it also made a little bit 'cold' to me;
  • the 5738R with its rose gold is so warm and the bigger crown really fits to its bigger size; however, the black dial is a bit flat, certainly compared to the blue sunburst dial;
  • the 5738 is a great size and it certainly looked good on my wrist; however, I thought it might perhaps be a bit too big for a classic (dress) watch. It convinced me that the 3738, although in today's standards it is on the smaller side, would fit me as well;

The hefty price tag of both watches and the considerable price difference between the R and the P while I prefer rose or yellow gold, convinced me not to pull the trigger on either of them.

So I kept looking on Chrono24 and found a really nice one. I have never bought a watch online (I'm the type of guy that also wants to see and flees clothes before buying instead of ordering online) but the small amount of Ellipse's on offer and COVID-19 making it difficult to travel, left me no other option. I found one that looked very promising. After checking the reviews and going back and forth with the company on Chrono24 and WhatsApp, I decided to test my luck and pull the trigger... The company that I both it from had it delivered totallly wrapped and protected, very nice.

And so my Patek Ellipse, with box and papers, arrived and is proudly sitting on my wrist now. It looks pristine and I am very, very happy with it. It is such an elegant timepiece with its special elleptical form, yellow gold, and... its gorgous blue dial...

We'll, let the pictures speak for themselves...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Beautiful piece And it fits so well Enjoy and big congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:46 PM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Very nice blue dial! Congratulations!
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 09:48 PM   #5
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch congratulations

Old 3 October 2020, 10:13 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Beautiful watch and an amazing dial.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:14 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Congratulations, very elegant
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:15 PM   #8
ap190482
"TRF" Member

Super congrats and a really nice story! Thanks for sharing. Also, super pics. A timeless piece for sure.

ap190482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:19 PM   #9
fuigo
"TRF" Member

Amazing piece. Thanks for sharing your journey! Wear it in good health.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
fuigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 10:27 PM   #10
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
nice story. glad that this helps you solve the patek problem in your collection
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 07:00 AM   #11
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your kind words! I am very happy with it indeed and will enjoy it thoroughly!

I will trade out the black croco dial for a dark blue one, that will the blue dial stand out even more and make the watch even more easy to wear casually as well as with a suit!
Old 4 October 2020, 07:01 AM   #12
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huydoan View Post
nice story. glad that this helps you solve the patek problem in your collection
Old 4 October 2020, 10:01 PM   #13
sxdcfv
Banned

Great piece. Simple and dignified. Classic Patek.
sxdcfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 10:58 PM   #14
PurpleDial
"TRF" Member

Watch: @gerwatchfamily
Congrats - a true stunner and very happy to see more dress incomings!
PurpleDial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2020, 11:40 PM   #15
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The Golden Ellipse is a very under-appreciated and yet a nice elegant dress watch. Congratulations on your new watch and wear it in good health
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2020, 06:21 AM   #16
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The Golden Ellipse is a very under-appreciated and yet a nice elegant dress watch. Congratulations on your new watch and wear it in good health

Thanks! Am really loving it so far!
Old 6 October 2020, 06:22 AM   #17
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

It is under-appreciated indeed. It wears super comfortable being so thin. You can hide it nicely under your cuff.
Old 6 October 2020, 06:23 AM   #18
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDial View Post
Congrats - a true stunner and very happy to see more dress incomings!

A true stunner it is indeed. The combination of the blue dial and soft yellow gold is really nice.
Old 23 November 2020, 10:23 AM   #19
sambb
"TRF" Member

nice thread, would be great to see a comparison with other watches in your collection, like a standard rolex, so we can judge the size better. looks nice!
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 05:55 AM   #20
Will_L
"TRF" Member

You nailed it with that watch, looks great on you !!
Congratz
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 08:28 AM   #21
bogdoc
"TRF" Member

Looks beautiful. Congratulations!
bogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:08 AM   #22
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
nice thread, would be great to see a comparison with other watches in your collection, like a standard rolex, so we can judge the size better. looks nice!
I wish I was in the position to make a comparison to other watches in my collection. Maybe some day that dream will come true... However, what I can tell you is that the Ellipse has an amazing presence on the wrist. Although it is not big in dimensions, it does not look small at all. I have compared it to a Reverso Duoface as well as to a 36mm Rolex Oyster. Compared to the Reverso (which is much thicker), it actually looks much bigger. Not only in real dimensions but certainly how it looks. And also compared to the Rolex it was not small at all. For some strange reason it sits proudly “on the wrist”, I mean really ON the wrist. It is very thin but nevertheless it sits a bit higher than you would expect. Been thinking about it and my explanation is that maybe the reason is that the strap is ‘hidden’ behind the case, ‘lifting’ the case and giving it more presence.

Funny thing is that sometimes it appears to be on the smaller side (a real vintage watch) and sometimes on the bigger size (like a contemporary 36 mm watch). If you look at it from the top it is smaller and if you look diagonally on the wrist it is quite big... Maybe it sounds strange but it is really true to me. Another funny thing is that it looks on the smaller side when you have rolled up your sleeve or if you wear a polo shirt (don’t recommend that with the Ellipse but that’s a personal taste), but it looks fairly big of you wear it with long sleeves, partly hidden under the cuff...

I think this article gives a good idea (on the double strap with the Range Rover steering wheel in the back it looks very small btw): https://magazine.bulangandsons.com/s...e-ellipse-dor/

Anyway, I never thought I would enjoy this watch so so much. And I also love that it is not everybody’s taste and therefore quite unique to me.
Old 25 November 2020, 08:09 AM   #23
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_L View Post
You nailed it with that watch, looks great on you !!
Congratz
Thank you!!
Old 25 November 2020, 08:09 AM   #24
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdoc View Post
Looks beautiful. Congratulations!
Cannot agree more haha! Thanks!
Old 25 November 2020, 11:10 AM   #25