The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 December 2020, 12:31 AM   #1
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Why I think OF YM is better than OF daytona

Have had the pleasure of owning both and wanted to share experiences to help others who may be cross shopping between these oysterflex models.

I believe the YM is a much more integrated design and I can now totally appreciate that this was the model that rolex created to introduce the OF.

1. The OF bracelet going almost all the way up to the case instead of to a solid end link really makes the package feel more integrated (similar to other rubber strap watches). I feel that the daytona end links makes the OF look “tacked on” almost as an afterthought. This makes the case appear larger which some may prefer but I am not convinced it looks better.

2. The matte black strap with matte black bezel and matte dial is a far more integrated look for this stealth looking watch compared to the shiny bezel of the daytona. The rose gold case and rose gold bezel with the ceramic insert with subtle polished numerals really shine against this matte look in the YM whereas I feel that there is almost too much going on with the daytona with the shiny and polished parts in the OF versions in particular.

3. The glidelock. It is a game changer. I dont understand why rolex can’t offer this on all OF models because the fit is so important with this strap. My wrist size changes throughout the day and while I never have to use adjustments as much on a steel bracelet, I feel that the OF almost requires this.

This is just my opinion as an owner of both. I will give the nod to the Yachtmaster in a surprising twist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 December 2020, 12:35 AM   #2
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

I agree but on a luxury watch at that price point I would want a metal bracelet as there are so many after market options for straps.
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 12:43 AM   #3
JodyHighroller
Banned

I agree on your sentiments! The GlideLock on the new 126655 makes a huge difference compared to its predecessor, the 116555. I purchased my 126655 in January and adore it. I receive the most compliments on it even including non-WIS.

I’m looking to purchase a RG OF Daytona with the Rosé color dial, but I’m waiting till next year to see if Rolex rolls out the GlideLock to the Daytona OF line. It’s the only one left in the catalog that doesn’t have it. The other OF models already have it so it’s just a matter of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoak View Post
I agree but on a luxury watch at that price point I would want a metal bracelet as there are so many after market options for straps.
Here in the states, it’s about a $12,000 difference between OF and gold links on comparable full PM model. You want to pay an extra $12,000 USD for 12~ links?
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 12:51 AM   #4
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
The clasp an the OF Yacht Masters is a work of art in itself
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 01:10 AM   #5
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Both beautiful. YM execution seems more integrated. I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 01:24 AM   #6
prnceofpersia23
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500LN
Having previously owned both, I can appreciate your thoughts!

The matte look works really well for the YM, especially considering the matte strap. I did think that it made the overall appearance of the watch look a little dull, which I did not appreciate on a $27K watch. The shine of the Daytona bezel combined with the sunburst of the dial really made it pop. I had the yellow gold version of yours.

It's funny, I actually think the opposite with regards to the end links. It's the YM that looks "tacked on" to me, like someone took the bracelet off and added an aftermarket strap. The Daytona's end links make the Oysterflex look like it belongs on the watch.

That being said, I still prefer the YM. Why? You nailed it with your third point, Glidelock! It truly is a game changer. I let the Daytona go because I could never get the right fit. The YM was a perfect fit every time. There is no question that all Oysterflex models desperately need a Glidelock clasp. Rolex added it to the new Sky-Dweller and I am hoping they'll do the same for the Daytona.

I let the YM go to make room for my steel Daytona, but it will be missed. Congrats on those two stunners and enjoy the heck out of them!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191127_120403.jpg (145.5 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg 20200809_160341.jpg (117.1 KB, 456 views)
prnceofpersia23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 01:46 AM   #7
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Also a signature element of the YachtMaster has been the bezel markers done in relief. With the new black cerachrom bezel done in this style makes that watch very attractive to look at.
Old 3 December 2020, 01:48 AM   #8
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Never owned either but would love to some day.
I 100% prefer endlinks though as to me that looks more integrated and more thought-out design wise as opposed to the strap connecting directly to the case. Any case can do that with any strap.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 01:49 AM   #9
sam3536
"TRF" Member

Stunning pictures on this forum. I like the details on the daytona. I already have multiple watches on bracelets with the same case as the YM.
That being said, I would go for the daytona, especially when I don't care for any daytona on bracelet. Just my personal taste.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
sam3536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 01:59 AM   #10
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Them's fighting words!

But seriously, if Daytona OF had glidlock, how does your ranking change?
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 02:11 AM   #11
amilch
"TRF" Member

I just purchased my YM OF and it is amazing. I have owned the WG OF daytona and between those two I prefer the YM. I totally understand your points. This YM reference has not received much love in the past. However, I ve been noticing that it's becoming a bit more popular. Amazing piece. Congrats!
amilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 02:18 AM   #12
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
This has probably been addressed somewhere in the forum, but can you buy a separate glide lock clasp and fit it on to an OF Daytona strap?
Old 3 December 2020, 02:36 AM   #13
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I feel that that OF models overlap with AP models. Thats part of the reason I have never contemplated these models because i have that already covered on my collection. But the glide lock issue is a real struggle, Rolex should address that because that's a factual determent for the Daytona.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 02:48 AM   #14
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I think I prefer the YM (either model) for the glide lock, legibility and date. The Daytona is a looker for sure.
Old 3 December 2020, 03:36 AM   #15
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I feel that that OF models overlap with AP models. Thats part of the reason I have never contemplated these models because i have that already covered on my collection. But the glide lock issue is a real struggle, Rolex should address that because that's a factual determent for the Daytona.
Question since the opportunity came up... would you trade a WG YM42 for an AP 15500ST?
Old 3 December 2020, 03:43 AM   #16
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

I agree with all of your points even though mine doesn't have the glidelock. I actually called RSC to see if I could upgrade and was told no, plus it's obscenely expensive ($6,000+) IIRC.

My favorite thing about the YM is how the RG is extremely polished, and extremely shiny, and every other element of the watch is the exact opposite.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 04:11 AM   #17
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
I agree with all of your points even though mine doesn't have the glidelock. I actually called RSC to see if I could upgrade and was told no, plus it's obscenely expensive ($6,000+) IIRC.

My favorite thing about the YM is how the RG is extremely polished, and extremely shiny, and every other element of the watch is the exact opposite.
Exactly!!!
NYG1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 04:13 AM   #18
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

6K wow!
Old 3 December 2020, 06:12 AM   #19
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

To my taste, the champion is the 42mm white gold Yachtmaster. It seems to be co-ordinated better than any of the others. There’s a sober consistency, Matt black dial, bezel and strap, the red writing stripped away. All set against the white gold, a natural contrast In a way the shiny rose gold isn’t. In fact, for me, it’s the best looking watch Rolex currently make ( fighting words!).
I prefer the Daytona on a proper gold bracelet. The design of the OF on the Daytona looks a bit of an afterthought. As for the lack of flexilink, baffling.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 06:21 AM   #20
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

The dial on the WG is lacquer... they switched from the matte on the RG... still looks great, makes the white writing crisp
Old 3 December 2020, 06:55 AM   #21
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by szabo_martin View Post
The dial on the WG is lacquer... they switched from the matte on the RG... still looks great, makes the white writing crisp

White gold 42 has gloss black dial for sure?
Old 3 December 2020, 07:20 AM   #22
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Yes the 42 is gloss
Old 3 December 2020, 07:48 AM   #23
SAlNlDllvllAlNl
"TRF" Member

Both are great watches! I agree that the OF YM just edges out the OF Daytona. There is just an amazing balance to the YM with the matte and shiny. Very appealing to look at in person.
SAlNlDllvllAlNl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 07:50 AM   #24
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
erm i prefer the end links tbh.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 08:38 AM   #25
VincentM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518-LV-CHNR-DJ-
I tried YM on OF (RG37-RG40-WG42) many times and although beautiful, it never clicked for me. I prefer the contrasts of colors and textures on the Daytona.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
VincentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 08:43 AM   #26
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentM View Post
I tried YM on OF (RG37-RG40-WG42) many times and although beautiful, it never clicked for me. I prefer the contrasts of colors and textures on the Daytona.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Great photo!
NYG1121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 08:52 AM   #27
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
erm i prefer the end links tbh.
I agree that the endlinks give a finished look!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote