The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 3 December 2020, 07:22 PM   #31
Kernow
Banned

I like them both
Kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 09:35 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I look forward to seeing this new model. I might be a buyer.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 11:29 PM   #33
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
Nice...shame they caved into changing the word manned to human....less historically correct imo
I don't think they caved at all. This version has a new movement. NASA certified this new version. There are plenty of female astronauts unlike the Gemini & Apollo missions.

This is the NEW Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 11:33 PM   #34
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
IlNASA certified this new version..
Where did you find this information?
NASA didn’t made this.
I’m not into debate manned or/vs humans but let’s get things real
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 11:44 PM   #35
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I might be biased but aesthetically I like the current version more than than the new one!
Old 3 December 2020, 11:55 PM   #36
Easy E

So, they took an ugly bracelet and made it worse. Neat.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 12:07 AM   #37
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
I don't think they caved at all. This version has a new movement. NASA certified this new version. There are plenty of female astronauts unlike the Gemini & Apollo missions.

This is the NEW Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch.
The term "manned" simply means having a human crew. Changing the wording is historically incorrect and unnecessary.

As for the watch itself, not digging the bracelet. The old bracelet had its problems but I always liked it. Would prefer the keep the bracelet but alter the clasp to allow for on-the-go micro adjustment.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 12:12 AM   #38
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

With descriptions of the changes

Old 4 December 2020, 12:14 AM   #39
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
The term "manned" simply means having a human crew. Changing the wording is historically incorrect and unnecessary.

As for the watch itself, not digging the bracelet. The old bracelet had its problems but I always liked it. Would prefer the keep the bracelet but alter the clasp to allow for on-the-go micro adjustment.
This....and im not into the man vs woman debate im simply saying not historically correct but it is what it is.....ill still be buying one
Old 4 December 2020, 02:13 AM   #40
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:

If people are complaining about manned vs human not being historically correct then what about the new 3861 movement? That's way off the mark. The modern 1861 bracelet also isn't correct. Times change and human is now the period correct text for 2020 period.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 03:09 AM   #41
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
If people are complaining about manned vs human not being historically correct then what about the new 3861 movement? That's way off the mark. The modern 1861 bracelet also isn't correct. Times change and human is now the period correct text for 2020 period.
It also says "The First Watch Worn On The Moon"

It doesn't say "A Distant Cousin Of The First Watch Worn On The Moon With A New Movement And Modern Bracelet"

So clearly they are advertising this watch to basically the closest thing you can get to the actual watch worn on the moon in 1969. To me, it makes more sense to keep the wording the same as was used in 1969 which was "manned space missions." There was no need to update that wording in my opinion and strikes me as caving the the modern PC crowd at the expense of history. I don't recall too many people complaining about "manned" being on the back of that watch...

Maybe on the 50th Anniversary watch they should change the quote on the back to read "One Small Step For A Human, One Giant Leap For Humankind" as well???
Old 4 December 2020, 03:58 AM   #42
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
I like the taper of the new bracelet but don’t like the look of the new bracelet
Old 4 December 2020, 05:51 AM   #43
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:

It doesn't say "A Distant Cousin Of The First Watch Worn On The Moon With A New Movement And Modern Bracelet"

So clearly they are advertising this watch to basically the closest thing you can get to the actual watch worn on the moon in 1969. To me, it makes more sense to keep the wording the same as was used in 1969 which was "manned space missions." There was no need to update that wording in my opinion and strikes me as caving the the modern PC crowd at the expense of history. I don't recall too many people complaining about "manned" being on the back of that watch...

Maybe on the 50th Anniversary watch they should change the quote on the back to read "One Small Step For A Human, One Giant Leap For Humankind" as well???
What about the incorrect movement and bracelet? That's not correct either and hasn't been correct for like 50 years since that last version went to the moon.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 07:14 AM   #44
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

I'm convinced people enjoy splitting hairs. Whatever.

I'll buy the Speedy Pro Moonwatch after waiting 2 years for the Snoopy-50 and realizing I can't get one. And it will be the NASA certified Hesalite version.
Old 4 December 2020, 07:20 AM   #45
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I think the moon connection to these watches is getting more and more tenuous. It's probably fair to say that the current watches evolved from the models used in the moon landings, but they have never been to the Moon.

I do like some of the new details such as the chrono seconds hand, but the bracelet does nothing for me. The current / older version is still very tempting with it's hesalite crystal and solid case back still available with a good price reduction over the MRRP.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 07:28 AM   #46
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I think the moon connection to these watches is getting more and more tenuous. It's probably fair to say that the current watches evolved from the models used in the moon landings, but they have never been to the Moon.

I do like some of the new details such as the chrono seconds hand, but the bracelet does nothing for me. The current / older version is still very tempting with it's hesalite crystal and solid case back still available with a good price reduction over the MRRP.
This

the current watch at least has some ties to the original in the movement and for just how long it was around, this new one outside of the looks of it and the plastic crystal, its basically a whole new watch. The new model in that image above looks like a strange fusion of the flat lug style and the current one, whereas if I google 1960 speedmaster it looks identical to the current model.

I don't believe NASA did the testing on this movement either so there is that.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 07:53 AM   #47
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 09:31 AM   #48
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozack90 View Post
This

the current watch at least has some ties to the original in the movement and for just how long it was around, this new one outside of the looks of it and the plastic crystal, its basically a whole new watch. The new model in that image above looks like a strange fusion of the flat lug style and the current one, whereas if I google 1960 speedmaster it looks identical to the current model.

I don't believe NASA did the testing on this movement either so there is that.
Agreed. The old version is a vintage watch in every sense of the word and logged thousands of hours of time in space. I love the dial and the movement on this new watch, but it’s really more of an homage piece, like the FIOS. Nothing wrong with that, but you are right it’s a tenuous tie to the real deal at best. I mean omega needs to get this NASA certified and actually worn by astronauts who are more and more turning to the x33. Otherwise this will just be an homage piece.

That said, if this new watch drops and for the price proposed, it’s likely the best chrono under 15k. Highly accurate, antimagnetic, incredible legibility, and not so get people in a stir, as good if not better than the Daytona.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 10:25 AM   #49
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Speedy Pro moving forward is dead. This isnt THE moonwatch. Fake news.

Lemania Speedy is the 'moonwatch'
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 10:53 AM   #50
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Agreed. The old version is a vintage watch in every sense of the word and logged thousands of hours of time in space. I love the dial and the movement on this new watch, but it’s really more of an homage piece, like the FIOS. Nothing wrong with that, but you are right it’s a tenuous tie to the real deal at best. I mean omega needs to get this NASA certified and actually worn by astronauts who are more and more turning to the x33. Otherwise this will just be an homage piece.

That said, if this new watch drops and for the price proposed, it’s likely the best chrono under 15k. Highly accurate, antimagnetic, incredible legibility, and not so get people in a stir, as good if not better than the Daytona.
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't try to get this one into space, if not with NASA then in some deal with Elon and SpaceX

As for the cost, I actually think that is another thing to watch as this won't be cheap given its manual wind and has low water resistance and the "affordable" model with a plastic crystal....really anything is a better deal than street for a Daytona or a 321 speedy, but I can think of a bunch of other chronographs which will be pretty attractive.

And if Rolex drops a tudor chrono with the new movement and a more legible design than the black bay, that might get some attention.
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 04:12 PM   #51
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
Attachment 1187715

Attachment 1187716

I am really liking he spear shaped chrono hand and larger pushers. Also hoping that the crown is easier to wind and that the clasp has quick adjustment.

Wait so is this new watch also flight qualified then ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:47 PM   #52
ratty
"TRF" Member

Assuming that this info is correct, are the pushers on this new version the same as those on the new Snoopy version?

I’ve just looked at a picture of the new Snoopy and the pushers appear to be wider and not as high as the current watch.
Old 4 December 2020, 07:04 PM   #53
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I’m just glad I bit the bullet and bought the 1861 earlier this year instead of hanging out for a new model.

The new bracelet design looks odd with that narrow centre link.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 07:31 PM   #54
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I’m just glad I bit the bullet and bought the 1861 earlier this year instead of hanging out for a new model.

The new bracelet design looks odd with that narrow centre link.
This has certainly got me thinking about buying one whilst they are still available.
Old 4 December 2020, 08:29 PM   #55
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
Attachment 1187715

Attachment 1187716

I am really liking he spear shaped chrono hand and larger pushers. Also hoping that the crown is easier to wind and that the clasp has quick adjustment.
Also looks like the spear second hand moves further out on the dial (away from center) and will be less obstructive to the subdials. Dial and subdial legibility is Always a plus for me
Old 4 December 2020, 10:39 PM   #56
JParm

Watch: Yes!
I'll stick with my Apollo 11 50th and its awesome bracelet.

I'm perplexed why Omega can't get this right in terms of just putting that bracelet on everything...if it is indeed just for "special" editions, then so be it, but that new bracelet in the leak is no better than the current one, IMO (save for the taper).
Old 4 December 2020, 11:40 PM   #57
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

What I don't understand is why can't Omega put a micro adjustable clasp on every metal bracelet. Makes no sense to me.
Old 5 December 2020, 01:23 AM   #58
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Great leak. Looks like better finishing on the hands.

The text font is VERY different.

Don't really like the bracelet but that's subjective.

Glad they kept the hesalite version and it still being flight qualified.

Very glad I got my 1861 speedy when I did.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:28 AM   #59
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticsub View Post
Very glad I got my 1861 speedy when I did.
Of course

alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 08:22 AM   #60
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Thinner case and that bracelet? HELL YEAH!

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote