The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 May 2016, 05:01 PM   #121
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I think there can be different views on this in different countries and geographical areas.

In my experience in the UK a YG Date Date type 'dress' watch can look really classy, especially on a leather strap. It's certainly something I would consider wearing with a shirt and tie.

However, IN MY EXPERIENCE, all be it limited, the YG Sub wearers I have met are more 'look at me' type people. Certain cultures in the UK are happy with 'look at me', certain cultures aren't. While I would consider a YG dress watch I wouldn't want a YG Sub or GMT type sports watch. I'm quite happy to wear WG Daytonas and I would like a platinum version as well, but YG is not for me. The same goes for diamonds in watches, not for me.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 05:04 PM   #122
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post

Personally, my view on YG Rolexes is that they can be a bit flashy and off-trend if not handled right. Day Date on a President bracelet with gold dial just screams Richard Nixon to me, and not in a good way, it feels very dated.

When I wanted to add some YG to the collection, I went retro, went vintage, got a contrasting dial, and put 'em on leather or croc straps.
Very nice
Old 27 May 2016, 08:29 PM   #123
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I think there can be different views on this in different countries and geographical areas.

In my experience in the UK a YG Date Date type 'dress' watch can look really classy, especially on a leather strap. It's certainly something I would consider wearing with a shirt and tie.

However, IN MY EXPERIENCE, all be it limited, the YG Sub wearers I have met are more 'look at me' type people. Certain cultures in the UK are happy with 'look at me', certain cultures aren't. While I would consider a YG dress watch I wouldn't want a YG Sub or GMT type sports watch. I'm quite happy to wear WG Daytonas and I would like a platinum version as well, but YG is not for me. The same goes for diamonds in watches, not for me.
From my experience in the UK, those who wear a YG sports model with a YG bracelet are generally from a working class background who have made a mark. It's usually paired with a gold chain and a ring or two. I have a good mate from Manchester who fits the bill nicely. Estate boy who went into the property racket, worked with me in selling big houses to Chinese people and made a boat load of cash. I think he is a good bloke, but to those who barely know him, douche would probably be one of the first words that spring to mind.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 08:57 PM   #124
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
100% depends on the owner. A DB is a DB wether he's wearing a gold YMII or an SS grand seiko
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 09:39 PM   #125
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
TBH I am part of this camp. I run a small investment firm and have created a company culture that is laid back, sporty yet very professional. We have a punching bag, kettle bell and a bench at the office. That's why I always wear my DSSD for work.

I am also a community organiser and social activist, which means I work with a grassroots crowd on a regular basis. Again DSSD is my watch of choice or my 1675. Rocking a gold watch in these circumstances seems to be a dick move when most of the constituency whom I serve could barely afford to feed their families.

I only wear my TT and my WG privately. I do appreciate a YG sub which I think is beautiful. But it goes against my public persona.

Do go ahead and feel sorry for me...
Usually if you can afford a gold Rolex you can afford a nice SS or two. So I would feel sorry for you if you felt the need to wear your gold Rolex in front of people who are really struggling but you don't, so I don't. As with all things in life, time and place, but ruling something out forever that you want just because of what others might think is never going to be my path.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 09:44 PM   #126
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
Bingo!!
thanks Tom!! I was certain we are in the same mindset when it comes to these sorts of things
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 10:08 PM   #127
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
From my experience in the UK, those who wear a YG sports model with a YG bracelet are generally from a working class background who have made a mark. It's usually paired with a gold chain and a ring or two. I have a good mate from Manchester who fits the bill nicely. Estate boy who went into the property racket, worked with me in selling big houses to Chinese people and made a boat load of cash. I think he is a good bloke, but to those who barely know him, douche would probably be one of the first words that spring to mind.
Bingo...a few sovereign rings...YG YM and nothing subtle...no doubt a good guy but the image is everything I not a fan....unfair conclusion would be barrow boy, second car dealer
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 11:36 PM   #128
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I can't believe how much about a person some of you can learn just by looking at his or her watch.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 11:50 PM   #129
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Do you think anyone notices us with all those giant gold toned Invicta watches with diamonds out there? I have encountered numerous gold Michael Kors and kiosk watches that make my watches seem small and unimpressive to those who don't know real timepieces from junk.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 11:50 PM   #130
filfoster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubDate/GMTII/TTDJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I think.....the person him/herself defines douchey or classy....the watch usually has little to do with this.
Can't really improve on this.
filfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2016, 11:53 PM   #131
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Do you think anyone notices us with all those giant gold toned Invicta watches with diamonds out there? I have encountered numerous gold Michael Kors and kiosk watches that make my watches seem small and unimpressive to those who don't know real timepieces from junk.
Bingo

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 01:49 AM   #132
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
Bingo...a few sovereign rings...YG YM and nothing subtle...no doubt a good guy but the image is everything I not a fan....unfair conclusion would be barrow boy, second car dealer

Only Fools and Horses springs to mind.

(This was a TV show in the UK with a character you could describe as above.)
Old 28 May 2016, 01:54 AM   #133
Stuxnet
Banned

I once worked with a guy who wear a gold Day Date. He didn't wash his hands after going to the bathroom. He didn't even pretend to wash his hands if somebody else was in the bathroom. He would flush the toilet, come out of the stall and walk straight out.

He was a major douche.

I hope other people who wear gold Rolex watches are not like him.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 02:09 AM   #134
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
I think age doesn't matter as much as style and surroundings. If you have the proper style/dress it can look very classy.

As much as I want a YG sub I really can't pull off a gold Rolex. I actually didn't feel like I could pull off my TT DJII with green Roman numerals so I quickly traded it. That was in my late 20s and at 34 I still don't think I could pull it off. That being said I dress VERY casual 99% of the time. Jeans and golf shirt is the daily office attire and weekend is shorts and tee shirt. Others may feel differently but gold just seemed too loud for my casual attire. I actually tend to wear my AP FC diver the most because it's so under the radar. I LOVE PM watches but more to admire and collect rather than get the most wrist time. I've actually only worn my RG AP on a few occasions. It's a shame she doesn't get more wrist time.

g
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 02:12 AM   #135
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Usually if you can afford a gold Rolex you can afford a nice SS or two. So I would feel sorry for you if you felt the need to wear your gold Rolex in front of people who are really struggling but you don't, so I don't. As with all things in life, time and place, but ruling something out forever that you want just because of what others might think is never going to be my path.
Not ruling out a YG watch per se, I am debating on 5th Rolex, so far I have narrowed it down to:

WG Sky-D
YG Sub blue dial
WG DJ 41MM

I do have love for the YG, just that given my lifestyle it probably won't see much wrist time. I might get it one day, maybe when I hit 35-40. I think I will feel more comfortable to do.
Old 28 May 2016, 02:43 AM   #136
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
Gold Rolexes have the "used car salesman" vibe in the UK.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 02:52 AM   #137
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Not ruling out a YG watch per se, I am debating on 5th Rolex, so far I have narrowed it down to:

WG Sky-D
YG Sub blue dial
WG DJ 41MM

I do have love for the YG, just that given my lifestyle it probably won't see much wrist time. I might get it one day, maybe when I hit 35-40. I think I will feel more comfortable to do.
All nice choices but my heart is blue.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 03:10 AM   #138
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
All nice choices but my heart is blue.
Yup I live in HK and there are about 15 luxury watch shops near my office. I look at the YG sub blue all the time and try it on every now and again. It's definitely the best YG piece out there. The black face is a close second, but blue reigns King.
Old 28 May 2016, 03:15 AM   #139
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollister View Post
Gold Rolexes have the "used car salesman" vibe in the UK.
UK is such a classist society, almost like an unspoken caste system, albeit with some social mobility.

Those that have from an upper middle class background would most likely opt for a Patek or for those who are patriotic may wear a Bermont just because it's made in England. YG watch with YG braclet would nouveau rich for their taste.
Old 28 May 2016, 03:56 AM   #140
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
UK is such a classist society, almost like an unspoken caste system, albeit with some social mobility.

Those that have from an upper middle class background would most likely opt for a Patek or for those who are patriotic may wear a Bermont just because it's made in England. YG watch with YG braclet would nouveau rich for their taste.
Can't really argue with this.

Old money is unlikely to buy Rolex, especially YG Rolex.

New money is more likely to buy Rolex, especially if they want to shout about it.

With the influx of foreign money, things may gradually change though.
Old 28 May 2016, 04:01 AM   #141
KarlS
Banned

Quote:

I think you meant Bremont? YG is perfectly acceptable if tasteful and discrete...
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 04:30 AM   #142
ming the merciless
"TRF" Member

If you need to ask that question deep down I suspect you already know the answer.
ming the merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 04:43 AM   #143
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I have seen older gentleman (age 60 or above) wear a YG DD and they usually carry themselves well. They have a relaxed aura about them and a confidence that sets them apart whether they are wearing a YG DD or a SS DJ.

When I see a younger man wearing a YG DD, I feel he is trying to prove himself because he has not quite "arrived" at the success level of the older gentleman stated above and wants to buy a ticket into the "old boy's club" by wearing the right watch, driving the right car, etc.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 04:59 AM   #144
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Im 28 and wear a YG DD with shorts and a t-short all the time. Might make me douchey but hey i can handle it.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 05:17 AM   #145
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
See, naturally the guys wearing gold don't think it's douchie. And most guys that are douches don't know they are douches and are thus proving their judgment unreliable thereby confirming their douchification. It was years until I found out.
Old 28 May 2016, 05:20 AM   #146
PrinceT
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I like how you put it haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PrinceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 05:21 AM   #147
PrinceT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
See, naturally the guys wearing gold don't think it's douchie. And most guys that are douches don't know they are douches and are thus proving their judgment unreliable thereby confirming their douchification. It was years until I found out.

+1

Old 28 May 2016, 05:26 AM   #148
PrinceT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post

Personally, my view on YG Rolexes is that they can be a bit flashy and off-trend if not handled right. Day Date on a President bracelet with gold dial just screams Richard Nixon to me, and not in a good way, it feels very dated.

When I wanted to add some YG to the collection, I went retro, went vintage, got a contrasting dial, and put 'em on leather or croc straps. It dials-down the glitz, separates from the Watergate vibe, and puts the emphasis on class and style with a tinge of positive nostalgia.

Nice one and great watch.

Old 28 May 2016, 11:15 AM   #149
TimothyNelson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038
Classy.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Best,
Timothy
TimothyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 11:38 AM   #150
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
I think age doesn't matter as much as style and surroundings. If you have the proper style/dress it can look very classy.

As much as I want a YG sub I really can't pull off a gold Rolex. I actually didn't feel like I could pull off my TT DJII with green Roman numerals so I quickly traded it. That was in my late 20s and at 34 I still don't think I could pull it off. That being said I dress VERY casual 99% of the time. Jeans and golf shirt is the daily office attire and weekend is shorts and tee shirt. Others may feel differently but gold just seemed too loud for my casual attire. I actually tend to wear my AP FC diver the most because it's so under the radar. I LOVE PM watches but more to admire and collect rather than get the most wrist time. I've actually only worn my RG AP on a few occasions. It's a shame she doesn't get more wrist time.

g

Your watch is sick dude. Insane.
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote