The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 April 2018, 08:18 AM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Automatic watches need little if any winding. Even if it is dead you can just put it on and it will start ticking. You may wish to wind it a turn or two, but any more winding is just causing unnecessary wear and tear.
Says who? You can wind it up 40 or 50 turns and it will cause no wear and tear. They are made to be wound up before wearing. And in 30 years of wearing Rolex I have never broke one winding it up.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 08:20 AM   #32
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Says who? You can wind it up 40 or 50 turns and it will cause no wear and tear. They are made to be wound up before wearing. And in 30 years of wearing Rolex I have never broke one winding it up.
Listen to Seibei, he bought his first Rolex a week ago and is already an expert.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2018, 08:21 AM   #33
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Listen to Seibel, he bought his first Rolex a week ago and is already an expert.
Oh boy, shaking my head Mon!
Old 5 April 2018, 08:41 AM   #34
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Oh boy, shaking my head Mon!
Don't get me wrong.
There's nothing wrong with buying your first Rolex a week ago but when you push your wrong opinion (like he has done) 5 times in this thread it kind off gets to me.
Old 6 April 2018, 04:34 AM   #35
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Rolex is not the only mechanical watch out there.

I am getting to you because I am right.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 06:24 AM   #36
Kosgad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Expr -2 BK 216570
Thanks for your comments. This watch is going to Rolex for repair.

I wanted to check if the date magnification on this exp 2 looks fine? I saw a date just watch of my friend and the number looked a lot bigger than mine. Considering the fact that exp 2 is 42 mm dial, am I right in expecting it to be bigger than date just?

Your opinion pl

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Kosgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 06:39 AM   #37
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Rolex is not the only mechanical watch out there.

I am getting to you because I am right.
This is a card that accompanies your watch every time it comes back from service.

I understand that you've never seen or even heard of it so perhaps you can take a minute and read what Rolex instructs you to do?

If you have any other questions about your Rolex then please do not hesitate to ask and we will be happy to steer you right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg service-stuff.jpg (257.8 KB, 141 views)
Old 9 April 2018, 07:55 AM   #38
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I believe it is impossible to over-wind a modern Rolex.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #39
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I believe it is impossible to over-wind a modern Rolex.
Correct.
Old 9 April 2018, 10:23 AM   #40
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

It has a "Slipping" winding movement to prevent over wind.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 02:52 AM   #41
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Explain to me what good it does to manually wind a watch when there is no need for it. It is simply extra wear and tear for no good reason and to be honest I consider it a counter productive habit that will lead to premature wear and breakage.

Treat your watch with respect and it will give you many years of good service.
Quote:
Another question. What difference does it make whether the power reserve is full or not? If you are wearing the watch every day and it does not stop, then what is the problem?

If you insist on having the power reserve full, then all you are doing is putting more wear on the mainspring than is necessary, not to mention the added wear incurred by manually winding your watch.

This ^^^ is why I prefer to buy a new watch (not used) or a new car for that matter. That way I know exactly how it has been treated from day one. I would not want an automatic watch that had spent years fully wound on a watch winder, or an automatic watch that has had frequent unnecessary manual winding.
Strange notions you have. Topping up the wind on a Rolex is not going to affect the service life of the watch.

The automatic winding system is intended to maintain the wound tension, not to wind the watch from a dead stop. The watch is designed to be hand wound, there is no significant added wear caused by winding it. And, most springs have optimal efficiency when there is more stored tension, running the watch barely wound can affect accuracy.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 07:06 AM   #42
MonBK
Banned

A voice of reason. ^
Old 11 April 2018, 08:09 PM   #43
Kosgad
"TRF" Member

Finally I have managed to drop my watch for repair / service at a local Rolex AD. They are going to send it to London for service. I was told it would take 2 weeks as they tend to look into the repairs under guarantee as priority which is a good news. Also I have raised a question about the cyclops magnification too.
By the way the AD has taken my international guarantee card too. Is it a normal practice? Do they take guarantee card when you hand over your watch for repair/service either during the guarantee period or after that

I shall update the forum with the final outcome.

I would like to thank the forum and members for their guidance and support.

Kind regards.

Last edited by Kosgad; 11 April 2018 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Additional comment
Old 11 April 2018, 09:00 PM   #44
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosgad View Post
Thanks.
The above response raises a question. This is for people with automatic watches with power reserve indicator.

Have you noticed the power to be full without winding the crown but just by daily wear?

Let us wait for forum members to chime in

Of course Seibei is correct and there is no need to fully wind an automatic watch and I never bother.
Winding a watch will cause wear whether it is a wound manually or by the auto winder.
Therefore winding an automatic watch will cause more wear just as 2 + 2 = 4.
I don't think it is you that needs educating.

I don't need a PR indicator to know that my Rolex watches are being wound up fully by the auto winding mechanism. I can tell by how long they run when I take them off on Friday afternoon and they run in till Sunday afternoon.

If you fully manually wind a Rolex and wear it the auto winding mechanism will continue to wind the mainspring against the slip function - could this put more stress and wear on the auto winding components and would this be another reason not to fully manually wind?

There are times when a full wind is indicated to check if the mainspring has an issue but I can't think of another reason.
Some will say manually winding now and then has to be done to keep the oil moving etc. etc. but some owners might not a wear particular model for months and it does them no harm.

I see that the 'experts' have the cavalry backup arriving and hopefully they will pick on me now.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:13 PM   #45
Kosgad
"TRF" Member

Dear all an quick update on my explorer-2.
I handed over the watch to Rolex AD in UK and they sent it to service centre at London. It took a total of 5 weeks for the repair and return to AD which I collected today. I am pleased with their service but not sure about couple of things. I would welcome experiences of forum members on the following.

1) The Rolex service centre did not issue a detailed service report but mentioned as movement corrected, free of charge. Is it acceptable or is it the way Rolex does it?

2) additional components (1) free of charge- what does it mean?

3) my watch was returned in a card board box to AD (as told by them).

I was expecting a detailed report and also to return my watch in a decent pouch or in a presentable way especially when the watch stopped working within the guarantee period which meant their product was faulty.

Has any one experienced anything like this? Is it how Rolex handle their customers and honour their guarantee? I am indeed considering a formal complaint asking for explanations on the faults and works carried out on my watch. My worry was if the problem recurs I would not have any clue if it was the same issue or new issue?

I would value your suggestions on this. Thank you.

BW

Last edited by Kosgad; 19 May 2018 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Attach picture
Old 19 May 2018, 11:10 PM   #46
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
I handed over the watch to Rolex AD in UK and they sent it to service centre at London. It took a total of 5 weeks for the repair and return to AD which I collected today. I am pleased with their service but not sure about couple of things. I would welcome experiences of forum members on the following.

1) The Rolex service centre did not issue a detailed service report but mentioned as movement corrected, free of charge. Is it acceptable or is it the way Rolex does it?

I was expecting a detailed report and also to return my watch in a decent pouch or in a presentable way especially when the watch stopped working within the guarantee period which meant their product was faulty.

Has any one experienced anything like this? Is it how Rolex handle their customers and honour their guarantee? I am indeed considering a formal complaint asking for explanations on the faults and works carried out on my watch. My worry was if the problem recurs I would not have any clue if it was the same issue or new issue?

BW

[IMGhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180519/da64fc909f2305f4dbc8aff619716373.jpg[/IMG]
Your magnification looks fine to my eyes.
If your watch fails again, you’ll send it back to Rolex anyway, and they know what they did.
I have not serviced a watch in the U.K., so I can’t comment on their warranty repair practices. Pouch, pillow, coffin, cardboard, who cares as long as they honored their warranty on your Grey Market watch. You should be happy!

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:26 PM   #47
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Of course Seibei is correct and there is no need to fully wind an automatic watch and I never bother.
Winding a watch will cause wear whether it is a wound manually or by the auto winder.
Therefore winding an automatic watch will cause more wear just as 2 + 2 = 4.
I don't think it is you that needs educating.

I don't need a PR indicator to know that my Rolex watches are being wound up fully by the auto winding mechanism. I can tell by how long they run when I take them off on Friday afternoon and they run in till Sunday afternoon.

If you fully manually wind a Rolex and wear it the auto winding mechanism will continue to wind the mainspring against the slip function - could this put more stress and wear on the auto winding components and would this be another reason not to fully manually wind?

There are times when a full wind is indicated to check if the mainspring has an issue but I can't think of another reason.
Some will say manually winding now and then has to be done to keep the oil moving etc. etc. but some owners might not a wear particular model for months and it does them no harm.

I see that the 'experts' have the cavalry backup arriving and hopefully they will pick on me now.
Just follow the advice Rolex give you wind 40 time and wear the watch. This is from Rolex. Unless you know better than Rolex?
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:28 PM   #48
Pavlos
"TRF" Member

Quote:

BW

It went to the manufacturer to be looked at and your questioning them? lol Next time your worried about the date window buy from an AD the way it should be done.
Pavlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:31 PM   #49
Prizla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On return from a service Rolex by Rolex UK your watch will be presented in a green velvet Rolex branded pouch and accompanied with a 2 year service warranty (a laminated card) The service card is supplied regardless of the fact the watch was within it’s original purchase warranty and runs alongside it. You should have been given all of this by the AD when you picked the watch up.
Prizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:51 PM   #50
Kosgad
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mr Pavlos for the comment. I am not sure if you have missed the crux of this issue?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
It went to the manufacturer to be looked at and your questioning them? lol Next time your worried about the date window buy from an AD the way it should be done.
Old 20 May 2018, 12:06 AM   #51
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Just follow the advice Rolex give you wind 40 time and wear the watch. This is from Rolex. Unless you know better than Rolex?
I've seen tags that say this, but all of my documentation from Rolex says 20 times.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote