The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2018, 06:59 AM   #121
BSH47
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoord27 View Post
Mate, you are too soft. You are doing a business transaction worth thousands of dollars. Tell him you need a new watch at the same discount or you will write to Rolex and name and shame them here.

You need to be more ruthless and stop letting people walk over you. You deserve better!
Agreed. Very unfortunate situation overall.
BSH47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:04 AM   #122
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSH47 View Post
Agreed. Very unfortunate situation overall.
Certainly, very unfortunate.

But resorting to threats is poor form as well.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:11 AM   #123
RickR
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
They won't be able to sell "as new" since the warranty card was filled out with OP's name and dated!.
OK, how about 'practically new'. My point is someone is going to buy the watch without knowledge of what happened. I hope it works out for them. Given the AD's history, they will probably just say that someone had buyer's remorse - not what really happened.
RickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:12 AM   #124
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This wasn't even a hard to get piece, this was a ten a penny DJ. Shows some ADs are so arrogant now, need bringing down to size, and only Rolex can do it so report the AD and find another one.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:16 AM   #125
EDL7
"TRF" Member

What a frigggin AD..lol..the worse..hahaha...
Glad to hear you walked away..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:19 AM   #126
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
If it dropped on the carpet, probably ok. You also still have the warranty if there are any issues. I might have kept the watch but leveraged the situation to get your name first on the list for whatever hard to obtain watch piece you want? Maybe helps you develop your AD relationship?
Get my name on some phantom list? Yeah, right.
Old 15 April 2018, 07:19 AM   #127
Jsan20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB
Ask for a watch at cost that should even up the deal
Jsan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:24 AM   #128
Howlerbro
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR GMT II
I echo the sentiment that many here have expressed that sh*t does happen, and I didn't/don't fault the saleswoman much for the accident. If anything, it'll hopefully be the last time something like this happens in that store as it'll be top of mind for everyone going forward.

On a whim I called another of the AD's locations in the area an hour ago to inquire whether or not they had any more in stock and lo and behold there is a new one, same size/color/bezel type, sitting in their corporate vault. Makes me even a little more PO'd that the manager told me without hesitation that there was no way they had any other models in inventory for me to swap with and that this would be a 6-8 week special order issue for him to handle...
Howlerbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:28 AM   #129
drgoro
"TRF" Member

They should order a new one for you. I bought a brand new SS YMII from a prominent AD, only to have the movement stop after 24 hours, the offered to fix it for free, I declined and got my money back. It does make me wonder, what other type of mishandling occur behind closed doors!
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:29 AM   #130
goin camping
"TRF" Member

If there were no damage I'd go along but if damaged even just a little. I'd want a new one.

I do not blame you a bit for wanting another watch instead. You didn't drop it after all.

If you do want a new one. Turn that one in and get another and if they don't have another. Go to a different dealer.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:33 AM   #131
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlerbro View Post
On a whim I called another of the AD's locations in the area an hour ago to inquire whether or not they had any more in stock and lo and behold there is a new one, same size/color/bezel type, sitting in their corporate vault. Makes me even a little more PO'd that the manager told me without hesitation that there was no way they had any other models in inventory for me to swap with and that this would be a 6-8 week special order issue for him to handle...
In my book that would constitute a friendly call to Rolex NYC to explain your experience. At a minimum it makes them aware of what happened. Who knows, they might help you in other ways on future purchases.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:36 AM   #132
StuartG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
OK, how about 'practically new'. My point is someone is going to buy the watch without knowledge of what happened. I hope it works out for them. Given the AD's history, they will probably just say that someone had buyer's remorse - not what really happened.
The watch will be sold to a grey market guy and posted for sale as LNIB on TRF in a week or so!
StuartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 07:41 AM   #133
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
They drop the watch it’s their problem NOT YOURS.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 08:23 AM   #134
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin camping View Post
If there were no damage I'd go along but if damaged even just a little. I'd want a new one.

I do not blame you a bit for wanting another watch instead. You didn't drop it after all.

If you do want a new one. Turn that one in and get another and if they don't have another. Go to a different dealer.
Problem is there might be damage that isn't noticeable right away.

I'd definitely be unhappy with that situation. Walking away was a good choice.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 08:33 AM   #135
EDL7
"TRF" Member

I wonder...how many Rolexes are dropped this way in jewelry stores..no visible damage..but sold... as fast as they can..to the unsuspecting customer..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 08:37 AM   #136
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I think someone alluded to this before, if so, apologies and I'm not trying to plagiarize. If I'm not mistaken, the warranty does not cover accidental damage, such as dropping. Suppose something was loosened inside the case, but doesn't affect the performance of the watch until, say, next year, or the year after, or the year after that. You send it to RSC for warranty work and they refuse to cover it under warranty because the watch is not defective. RSC says the problem is due to accidental damage. You don't know for sure where the AD will be next year, or four years from now. You don't know for sure that you'll be in the same area next year, or four years from now. Such things are what lawsuits are made of. Best to decline the purchase. Again, if someone has already covered this, my apologies.
erhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 08:53 AM   #137
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
i lean toward this opinion.

+2.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 08:54 AM   #138
s14roller
"TRF" Member

A Datejust?? Walk, no, run, to another AD. This wasnt some super hard to find piece, another AD will happily supply you with one. There's no way of knowing if that drop introduced shock to the movement and unless that manager was a Rolex engineer who could tell you if it did, I'd take the safe route.
s14roller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:00 AM   #139
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex, Oris
So interesting. I’m not going to try to draw any parallels between brands, but on another forum someone recently posted that they were having problems with a new watch, took it in for service, and the AD claimed it had shock damage not covered by warranty. The OP claimed to have no idea how this could have happened and was looking for help and from the community.

What’s interesting is that the community pretty much castigated the OP saying how easily the movement can be damaged, and how he MUST have done something to the watch. Watchmakers posted pics of dislodged dials, and so on. People claimed that a movement could be damaged by a three foot fall into carpet.

I came away thinking that they love their brand so much that in defense of the brand’s service department, they made the brand out as a delicate flower that probably shouldn’t be worn for everyday use.

I agree that in this situation the OP did the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tarnsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:07 AM   #140
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
I wonder...how many Rolexes are dropped this way in jewelry stores..no visible damage..but sold... as fast as they can..to the unsuspecting customer..
I'd be willing to bet more than we might suspect

I hate to think that might be the case but why wouldn't they...? Accidents happen and I doubt they are marking that merchandise as anything but NIB.
Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:13 AM   #141
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
This is bad, but I seriously doubt it warrants a kick to the testicles ...
He will drop the watch again for sure
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:20 AM   #142
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
If it dropped on the carpet, probably ok. You also still have the warranty if there are any issues. I might have kept the watch but leveraged the situation to get your name first on the list for whatever hard to obtain watch piece you want? Maybe helps you develop your AD relationship?
This is what I was thinking.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:32 AM   #143
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I wonder how the dealer would react if a person trying on a watch dropped it. I think its unfair of them to expect you to buy it...should be your call, period, no pressure.
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:39 AM   #144
DahMan
Banned

I would let the guy that dropped it , figure out how to sell this example, and hand the customer a new watch
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 09:39 AM   #145
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Hopefully the OP feels much better knowing this! ^
Old 15 April 2018, 11:31 AM   #146
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I Interesting situation here.

Okay, first, lets be honest - dropping the watch was a accident and it could happen to anyone. I guarantee the Rolex suffered no mechanical or cosmetic damage. Even a Waterford crystal champagne flute would likely not be harmed.

**However**.....

The absolutely appalling attitude of the staff is something that would anger anyone after spending 10 or 12 thousand bucki-wucks on a watch. As some already mentioned, they should have been bending over backwards to ease your concerns and 'bad vibes' and ease the tension. Their indifferent attitude, to say nothing of threatening to not honor your discount is just a low, sleazy form of doing business. And these guys are an Authorized Rolex Dealer? An agent to sell and a represent one of the most prestigious organizations in the world?

And, think of this: If their attitude was so 'cavalier' after dropping the watch *IN YOUR PRESENCE*
I ask myself - HOW DO THEY HANDLE THE WATCHES / JEWELRY after hours?

I wouldn't trust these guys to 'float ice cream in a root beer'.

If it were me, I would have politely informed the two 'mouth breathers' that I'm canceling this transaction and left the store never to return.

Harsh reaction? Maybe but I'm not a vindictive person. I've rarely felt the need to exact revenge or carry a grudge. Life is too short fot that kinda' nonsense. But, and I'm sure there are many like-minded folks out there, I always have empathy for the 'underdog'. (Not quite the same here, but there are parallels)

Anyway, hope things work out for ya' keep us posted.

M

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 11:56 AM   #147
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

To the OP, you did the right thing and I'm glad you were able to back out of that deal. And as you see, the DJ is a commodity watch, if they had dropped a new DaytonaC it would have been a more difficult situation.

The carpet in an AD is likely commercial carpet, and not very absorbing like the carpet in our homes. While it was likely okay, when you pay for a new watch that had just had its stickers removed you expect a new watch and the last thing you want is to see someone drop it on the floor. And you certainly can't trust anything this AD tells you. An extended warranty would not be worth the paper it is written on.

Along the same lines, I don't let anyone adjust the bracelet but me. If someone is going to scratch the links or ruin the screws it is going to be me. Otherwise I'd be really upset at someone that I have no recourse with. If I mess up my own watch it was my responsibility and I can be mad at myself and accept it.

I'm sure you can find a replacement and your wife will enjoy her new watch without having to think about that drop for the next 10 years.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2018, 11:56 AM   #148
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I'd cancel the deal and walk away. I absolutely would not accept a watch that had been dropped.

I'm sure that it can be found from another AD.
Old 15 April 2018, 12:09 PM   #149
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgo888 View Post
they dropped it, you have every right to ask fior replacement
do not take or settle. You paid good money
they refuse, then return it.
You were the aggravated customer, they have no leg to stand on
x2
Old 15 April 2018, 12:11 PM   #150
arosado
Banned

Watch: Rolex, AP & Omega
Don't take it. It's your right as a customer.
arosado is offline   Reply With Quote