The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 May 2020, 07:36 AM   #31
R.J.
"TRF" Member

Watch: milgaus gv
Seven months to save for my next watch. Six months to go.
Old 24 May 2020, 07:43 AM   #32
redmosquito1983
"TRF" Member

I bought a Harley in 2012, paid it off in 2016, kept it as in asset until March when I sold it off to buy my submariner. So 8 years in total
redmosquito1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:53 AM   #33
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I don’t think I would feel comfortable genuinely saving hard (to the exclusion of other day to day things) so long for something which is a nice to have item.

That said, I also don’t tell someone else what music to play in their car. So it’s just my viewpoint & everyone should do as they please.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 08:09 AM   #34
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

After return from Afganistan, I bought a motorcycle harley sportsters 883.

Than sold it to buy a submariner.

i am 41 year old so 3 years in war zone.Thank god, terrorist or not never fire on a living being.

So watch is clean in my hearth. Probably i will wear it till i die.

Honestly with my current salary, probably in 10 or 15 years i can save for a sub.

Sometimes i saw people in here have 10 or 20 subs its beyond my imaginations.

anyways life is life.
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 08:31 AM   #35
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
My first ever Rolex was back in the early 90s. It wasn’t really saved for but, I did modify my spending habits for about a month to accommodate the purchase. I did save for several months in the late 80s for (what I thought then) my first expensive watch, a Cartier Santos TT ( yeah I know, but back then they were hip)
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 08:45 AM   #36
flal
"TRF" Member

Never really saved for one, but waited until the time was right for sure. I’ve saved for investments that wound make me money, but I never put away money over any length of time for a watch. When I felt my financial situation was right for a discretionary purchase I pulled the trigger. I’ll likely be doing this later this year for a special occasion and paying grey markup for a Dayton I’ve wanted since I was a teenager.

I don’t look down on people though who have a steady salary and save if that’s what they want to do with their money and if it’s a prudent decision. In a way I've saved too by waiting until I was comfortable making a purchase.
flal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:02 AM   #37
pefrom
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM111, 126710BLRO
My first Rolex was actually at 114060. Honestly, I had no plans initially on purchasing one. I’ve always admired Rolex pieces but I just kept on thinking, “I’m not really a Rolex guy.”

Until one day I dropped off my Speedy to an AD to get sent off for service and they asked if I was looking for other pieces to buy in the future. Just having a light conversation. I tried on a Sub and that was the end of that. I loved how it looked on my wrist and how it felt. I never thought I would but I did. I had some funds set aside for some music equipment and I ended up blowing that on the sub that day.
pefrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:13 AM   #38
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
My advice is save for a house. A watch should be idle cash. Wait until your necessities are taken care of before you buy a watch.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:27 AM   #39
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex50 View Post
I’ve saved up for 2 years and have about another six months to go before I have enough saved.
I’d be curious to know what’s the longest you’ve saved up before buying - actively saving and planning for a specific Rolex purchase.
Thanks.

What you getting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:30 AM   #40
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
40 minutes. Maybe more if I had trouble with the Wire Xfer.

I have been blessed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dude that is funny.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:49 AM   #41
qua13
Banned

watch is one the things that i will never save up to buy. I only buy when i want and i have enough for it.
qua13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:50 AM   #42
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
financial threads like these end up as a pissing competition..
You ain't whistling 'Dixie'!

Some folks save, some do not need to save, some *claim* they don't save while others probably *should* have saved. Too many cross sections of life, truth, non truths and egos to gain much perspective or come to a conclusion of any kind.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:06 AM   #43
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
I wanted to purchase a Rolex once I hit a certain point in my life. Once I made that point happen my wife did not think it was a wise financial decision. We agreed that whatever our financial advisor said, we would do. She figured he would say no, but I paid attention to what watch he wore.

His answer was that most of his clients were house poor, but that we were savings poor and I should purchase the watch if I wanted it. I still chuckle to this day as I expected him to to agree, but not for that reason.
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:15 AM   #44
cdmorenot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
When I was a kid my dad taught me a very very valuable lesson.

Do not save for something in particular. Save, period.

Under his logic, if you’re saving for something specific you’re limiting your saving potential.

I’ve always kept this in mind so I don’t think I have ever saved for a Rolex. I’ve saved money and I’ve been able to buy stuff.

Old 24 May 2020, 06:17 PM   #45
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post

Under his logic, if you’re saving for something specific you’re limiting your saving potential.

I’ve always kept this in mind so I don’t think I have ever saved for a Rolex. I’ve saved money and I’ve been able to buy stuff.

Wise man. And how I live my life also. Not born rich but born very fortunate in more important ways. If, at some point, I find that I feel I have some spare walking round money, I’ll put my big boy pants on and buy something I want
Old 24 May 2020, 06:58 PM   #46
MickMcGreggor
"TRF" Member

15 years. Got close to making a purchase but decided to spend the money on my daughter's education.
MickMcGreggor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 04:39 AM   #47
Onetwobit
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Just bought my first, subc, and although I've wanted one for years, it was only recently that I decided to pursue my AD for the piece. I didn't "save" up for it, but just felt I was finally in a good position to make the purchase. Let's call it 2 years, from when I knew I wanted my first Rolex, to when I got the call.
Onetwobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:12 AM   #48
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

45 years for me.
I wanted a sub since seeing early James Bond movies as a teenager.
Couldn’t have even come close to affording till I was 60 and even then I was nearly 61. I’d just put the purchase into the “one day- hopefully “ category.

14060M used. Still have it
Had other watches before and since too but that was my first Rolex.
Love looking at it for all the things it means to me.

toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:13 AM   #49
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post

Great advice, a lesson I taught myself from a young age and will teach my children.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:42 AM   #50
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Bought my first Rolex at 35. I inherited two along the way. I’m a chronic researcher, early adopter, and upgrader. So I didn’t buy one until I could get a Day Date, the one I always wanted. After 6 months, I figured out the weight of the DD40 was just too much to wear comfortably for me and traded it in for all the Rolexes I held off buying along the way. Now I have a collection and a lesson learned. Do what you can when you can. Life is short.

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:43 AM   #51
greeneyedguy
Banned

2 years for a Daytona C. I have the cash, waiting on the call.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:29 AM   #52
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

I just save all the time, not for something specific, like a watch. When the essentials are taken care of, and I can buy a Rolex without “asking the wife if it’s OK (wtf)”, then I go buy it.
BlakeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:40 AM   #53
YYR
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one that bought a Rolex on a zero apr credit card?
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:40 AM   #54
YYR
"TRF" Member

Lol
YYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:44 AM   #55
calebb90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR View Post

I’m sure many have. And many more have bought a Rolex on credit cards that do charge interest.

calebb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:47 AM   #56
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR (2019)
About an hour.
D.P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 09:53 AM   #57
EtherBrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR View Post

Plenty of times. But only when the AD isn’t extending a bank wire discount.

EtherBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 02:32 AM   #58
roviw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
This reminds me of an old thread where a member once stated that he would never purchase a Rolex without a net worth of at least one million dollars. Yet, he owned a Rolex. You can imagine how that ended.
The below was my reply to a similar thread 18 months ago

This is an interesting thread to look through, however it shows how so many people really do seem to be putting away such huge amounts into savings before treating themselves to a nice watch or several.
I suppose things may be different in the USA possibly and also depends whether people have families or dependants of course.
My children are grown with their own homes and families, I am now 58 and single and at a point where I can do what I want regarding spending money.
I do not go on holiday, I do not eat out in fancy places, I do not drink or smoke etc etc.
BUT I love nice cars and nice watches.
I own my own home, it is the same home I bought as a first home about 33 years ago, it is mortgage free and I have no debts now. I do not need a large amount of income to live on.
I did buy my watches over a 12 or 14 year period and did not have much in the way of savings at the time, and still don't now, I have generally figured that if times come hard then I will just sell something. I enjoy the work I do and have no thoughts on retiring as long as I have my health. Eventually the option to move to a smaller house if required as well.
In the UK it is normal for people to move up the housing ladder buying larger houses and larger houses, then when retirement approaches they look at down-sizing which releases equity and this then releases liquid funds which help to live on as your income may have stopped by then.
Generally there can be a large cost each time you move house, what with legal fees, moving fees, stamp duty tax ( here in the UK is huge ) , as I have only ever bought one house I have never had to stump up these costs.
Anyway, each to their own and it must be great to be able to buy a Rolex with 2% of your savings but I wonder does a Rolex mean as much to a person if it is something they could actually buy for say a couple of week's salary as opposed to 6 month's salary ?
116520 Daytona White face
16700 GMT Master Pepsi Bezel
roviw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:04 AM   #59
Stripiest
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by roviw View Post
The below was my reply to a similar thread 18 months ago

This is an interesting thread to look through, however it shows how so many people really do seem to be putting away such huge amounts into savings before treating themselves to a nice watch or several.
I suppose things may be different in the USA possibly and also depends whether people have families or dependants of course.
My children are grown with their own homes and families, I am now 58 and single and at a point where I can do what I want regarding spending money.
I do not go on holiday, I do not eat out in fancy places, I do not drink or smoke etc etc.
BUT I love nice cars and nice watches.
I own my own home, it is the same home I bought as a first home about 33 years ago, it is mortgage free and I have no debts now. I do not need a large amount of income to live on.
I did buy my watches over a 12 or 14 year period and did not have much in the way of savings at the time, and still don't now, I have generally figured that if times come hard then I will just sell something. I enjoy the work I do and have no thoughts on retiring as long as I have my health. Eventually the option to move to a smaller house if required as well.
In the UK it is normal for people to move up the housing ladder buying larger houses and larger houses, then when retirement approaches they look at down-sizing which releases equity and this then releases liquid funds which help to live on as your income may have stopped by then.
Generally there can be a large cost each time you move house, what with legal fees, moving fees, stamp duty tax ( here in the UK is huge ) , as I have only ever bought one house I have never had to stump up these costs.
Anyway, each to their own and it must be great to be able to buy a Rolex with 2% of your savings but I wonder does a Rolex mean as much to a person if it is something they could actually buy for say a couple of week's salary as opposed to 6 month's salary ?
Old 26 May 2020, 03:23 AM   #60
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Do you save by collecting and trading, and then trading in for Godzilla? If so, then about seven and a quarter years. Much more interesting then just putting money in the bank.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote