The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2020, 12:22 AM   #91
fenway
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 16014 Buckley
16610 Sub - two years
16014 Buckley Datejust - two years
16710 GMT - three years
16570 Polar Explorer - three years
16013 Champagne Tapestry Datejust - two years
18238 Champagne DD - six years

I bartend as a second job and put away $25 a night in cash toward what I want. Highly recommended.
fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 03:17 AM   #92
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
There's nothing wrong with saving up money for a nice watch.

Alone being able to set money aside each month, for something like a luxury watch, should be considered a win in my book. I grew up with a single-mother, working class. We definitely couldn't afford luxury items.

Some have been blessed from birth, others have worked hard to get to where they are, but a lot of people also enjoy just being working class and not have the same financial goals as others. Nothing wrong with wanting to have a Rolex, even if you can't buy it in cash today.

I went to Uni with a really smart guy, top of the class, got a great job right away - he worked there the following years moving up the latter. For 1 year we even room-mated together in a duplex penthouse we rented.

I then moved abroad for a few years, came back - ran into him. Guess what: he quit his job, didn't want to have any responsibilities and was working nightshift at a warehouse carrying boxes, loading trucks. He had never been happier.

The nightshift salary alone is enough for him to put some savings aside, he can supplement with overtime whenever he wants and at work he can just walk around, mind his own business, listen to music and enjoy working his own pace.

He has a colleague, also working the nightshift, has 3 university degrees, speaks 5 languages fluently - also just wants to load trucks. He has often been asked if he doesn't want to move up, do something else. Been offered promotions to becoming teamleader or something, no - doesn't want to. He's perfectly happy doing a job where he has the least possible amount of responsibility you can think of.

Point is: Making money isn't the primary goal for everyone, nor should it be. Having money certainly doesn't automatically make your life better than others, nor is it a guarantee for happiness.

If someone needs to save up for 8 years to be able to buy a Rolex, let them - I even applaud that, if that's their goal and they are able to achieve it. In most cases I'm sure they will enjoy that watch way more than Stockbroker-Steve that just swipes his Amex to buy his 4th Rolex that year.

Love this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 03:49 AM   #93
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

Always loved watches, got my first DJ for high school graduation. Knew I wanted another one but never truly saved to buy one. I did how ever save to have funds to put myself in a better position financially and when I became financially stable, I decided I wanted a new watch and got one.
S1mplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 02:09 AM   #94
Joe_Row
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by roviw View Post
The below was my reply to a similar thread 18 months ago

This is an interesting thread to look through, however it shows how so many people really do seem to be putting away such huge amounts into savings before treating themselves to a nice watch or several.
I suppose things may be different in the USA possibly and also depends whether people have families or dependants of course.
My children are grown with their own homes and families, I am now 58 and single and at a point where I can do what I want regarding spending money.
I do not go on holiday, I do not eat out in fancy places, I do not drink or smoke etc etc.
BUT I love nice cars and nice watches.
I own my own home, it is the same home I bought as a first home about 33 years ago, it is mortgage free and I have no debts now. I do not need a large amount of income to live on.
I did buy my watches over a 12 or 14 year period and did not have much in the way of savings at the time, and still don't now, I have generally figured that if times come hard then I will just sell something. I enjoy the work I do and have no thoughts on retiring as long as I have my health. Eventually the option to move to a smaller house if required as well.
In the UK it is normal for people to move up the housing ladder buying larger houses and larger houses, then when retirement approaches they look at down-sizing which releases equity and this then releases liquid funds which help to live on as your income may have stopped by then.
Generally there can be a large cost each time you move house, what with legal fees, moving fees, stamp duty tax ( here in the UK is huge ) , as I have only ever bought one house I have never had to stump up these costs.
Anyway, each to their own and it must be great to be able to buy a Rolex with 2% of your savings but I wonder does a Rolex mean as much to a person if it is something they could actually buy for say a couple of week's salary as opposed to 6 month's salary ?
2022 Rolex Submariner Date 126610LN
2020 Rolex Datejust 126300
2020 Rolex Explorer 214270
2016 Omega Seamaster Co-Axial
Joe_Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 02:53 AM   #95
imsayingthough
"TRF" Member

been telling myself ill get a PM rolex for about 2 years now but have not yet pulled the trigger. In that time i have purchased 3 watches which have cost more than the 1 pm rolex i have my heart set on so im working against myself but i will keep "saving".
imsayingthough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 01:45 PM   #96
morg.k24
Banned

I saved for 4 months to buy my first Rolex.
morg.k24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 03:31 PM   #97
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

43 years.
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 05:43 AM   #98
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
I was putting away on average $5-600 a month away

my 16570 Polar took 9 months
my 116610LN took 14 months
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 06:18 AM   #99
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
10 months for SD43
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 06:54 AM   #100
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
When I first got into the Rolex hobby, I was young and started small. I bought a 1007 oyster perpetual head. It needed a dial, service, and a band. I put a newer jubilee on it and an aftermarket diamond dial. I wore it for a couple of weeks and had less than $1200 into it. I put it up on ebay and sold it for a profit. I started visiting pawn shops on my off days, watching ebay, and built a decent little business to support my crazy addiction. Before I knew it I had Rolex Subs, Panerais, Omegas, and even some Breitlings and Tags. I'd trade them for cars or do anything I wanted. It was all separate from my primary income and I enjoyed those few years. I didn't really have to save to get started because I believe I started very entry level. Ebay got pretty shady and I got scammed and stopped. this was in my very early 20's and now i'm almost 40.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 08:09 AM   #101
gk718
"TRF" Member

Everyone has different ways of justifying paying for luxury items, so this thread is a bit vague. Some set money aside weekly, some dip into savings, some use credit cards, some may take money out of other investment earnings, etc.

Maybe a better question is what percentage of your liquid net worth (cash/stocks etc) do you feel comfortable spending on watches? Don’t mean to jack the thread but that’s a question that would be more relevant to a broader group of people, and probably a smarter way to look at luxury purchases in general.
gk718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 09:11 AM   #102
subdateII
"TRF" Member

Even though, I had enough saved. I waited 9 years between my 1st and 2nd Rolex 16600 and 116710 BLNR respectively. I don't believe in casually buying these types of items. To make it meaningful, I believe it's good to wait and be it a sort of quest/reward...
subdateII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 12:46 PM   #103
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Three years...no idea when I’ll “save enough” has nothing to do with the retail price I just refuse to go secondary at this point lol - I’ll keep saving until I get the call!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 12:54 PM   #104
smc23
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
longest had to be my first rolex SS datejust in my avatar. It probably took me about 5yrs to save up for that working part time and summers while in high school. Still have the watch today and i would say it has motivated me to appreciate saving for things.

Next watch that took almost as long was my Sub date, which was my motivation for saving and eventually purchasing it as my undergrad graduation gift to myself.
smc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 02:23 PM   #105
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Everyone has different circumstances. Some members do not need to save, while others will be on the other end of the spectrum.
This!

Additionally, everyone has different spending priorities, regardless of which end of the spectrum you’re on. I have a friend that makes pretty damn good money. I know for sure if she wanted a nice rolex today she could responsibly pay for it outright and own it tomorrow, but she won’t... even though every time I see her she says she wants to get one.

But, meanwhile, she’ll have no problem tearing down a perfectly good fence and building a new one cause of boredom. She’ll renovate a bathroom or her kitchen, both of which were renovated within the past 2 years.

10k here 30k there, 50k here. But I’m telling you she would save up to buy a watch. But if I told her about a cool new kitchen counter top design she’d rip up her granite within a day haha.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 02:27 PM   #106
MrJKLFoams
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaJLC
I waited long for the rolex watch to arrive and get a phone call than saving to buy one.
MrJKLFoams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 09:01 PM   #107
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
financial threads like these end up as a pissing competition..
Yep !
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 12:57 AM   #108
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
I'm going on 1.5 years now and it'll probably be another 6 months before i buy.

For me it's become about the journey just as much as the destination.

There were times i could have bought in the past 6 months, but i chose to do something else for the family and I wouldn't trade those memories for a watch any day.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 12:11 PM   #109
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex50 View Post
I’ve saved up for 2 years and have about another six months to go before I have enough saved.
I’d be curious to know what’s the longest you’ve saved up before buying - actively saving and planning for a specific Rolex purchase.
Thanks.

Generally I purchase then save to recover the expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote