The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 September 2020, 12:40 PM   #1
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Rolex brand took a turn today...

Underwhelming showing to say the least. Is Rolex aiming for the Swatch customer? Clearly trying (emphasis on trying) to appeal to a different customer base. Some of the new watches could use a Swatch guard. Disappointing.

Sub change is meh.
SFBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 12:43 PM   #2
JonOnTime
"TRF" Member

I honestly don't know what some people expect. The sub is new and improved, has a lot of the changes anyone would want. This is nothing outside of what any Rolex fan would reasonably expect. Some cool new subs, but some future potential options to look forward to.
JonOnTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 12:43 PM   #3
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
Underwhelming showing to say the least. Is Rolex aiming for the Swatch customer? Clearly trying (emphasis on trying) to appeal to a different customer base. Some of the new watches could use a Swatch guard. Disappointing.

Sub change is meh.
Agree. While I actually like the sub change, it's not enough to distinguish it from across the room like they did when the cerachrom bezel came out. Boring showing from the Crown today.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 12:44 PM   #4
RPC19
"TRF" Member

Like this will stop just about anyone on these boards from buying or posting “great pull” on incoming threads. Lol
RPC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 12:44 PM   #5
PrinceV
"TRF" Member

I think other companies have taken a bigger leap than what Rolex did today. I like the new Omega Seamaster with the yacht master look bezel with the red second hands.
PrinceV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 12:47 PM   #6
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC19 View Post
Like this will stop just about anyone on these boards from buying or posting “great pull” on incoming threads. Lol
Yes, I still want a Pepsi. However. I have zero desire for any of the watches released today.
Old 1 September 2020, 12:53 PM   #7
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOnTime View Post
I honestly don't know what some people expect. The sub is new and improved, has a lot of the changes anyone would want. This is nothing outside of what any Rolex fan would reasonably expect. Some cool new subs, but some future potential options to look forward to.
Are you getting in line for a new OP?
Old 1 September 2020, 12:55 PM   #8
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I just hope this isn't a trend that will affect others like the Daytona. Rolex had the perfect size for their watches as history has shown, also everybody is going back down in size and even the monster truck of watches Panerai is having great success in sizing down.

If they pursue a trend to enlarge their line, then it will be for the worse...but this is a step in the wrong direction at least. If they go down this road further, Rolex will still be successful but they will lose that feverish loyal fan base quality they've enjoyed for so long.
It's what makes Rolex unique, psycho addicted fans like no other, but because we love this traditional position filled with heritage and steadfast history, lose that, lose a whole lot of loyalty.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 12:55 PM   #9
JonOnTime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Are you getting in line for a new OP?
I think I'd gladly go for one. I'd really have to see some of these funky ones in the flesh. That orangeish red looks berzerk. I'm still in my 30s so who knows. But I'd say the Rolex Green or silver are on my mind.
The big wristed have won the day!
Old 1 September 2020, 12:56 PM   #10
JonOnTime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I just hope this isn't a trend that will affect others like the Daytona. Rolex had the perfect size for their watches as history has shown, also everybody is going back down in size and even the monster truck of watches Panerai is having great success in sizing down.

If they pursue a trend to enlarge their line, then it will be for the worse...but this is a step in the wrong direction at least. If they go down this road further, Rolex will still be successful but they will lose that feverish loyal fan base quality they've enjoyed for so long.
It's what makes Rolex unique, psycho addicted fans like no other, but because we love this traditional position filled with heritage and steadfast history, lose that, lose a whole lot of loyalty.
If you look at the pictures the new one is smaller than the 40 super case. 41 is truly just a number on paper.
Old 1 September 2020, 12:59 PM   #11
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think I'd gladly go for one. I'd really have to see some of these funky ones in the flesh. That orangeish red looks berzerk. I'm still in my 30s so who knows. But I'd say the Rolex Green or silver are on my mind.
The big wristed have won the day!
Fair enough. The OP colors don’t appeal to me. I prefer a date function so the OP isn’t for me anyway.
Old 1 September 2020, 01:24 PM   #12
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Making watches bigger is following a musty trend
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:28 PM   #13
safwan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner TT
same impression I got when saw new sport releases. loosing its uniqueness, adding color and slightly bigger size.
safwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:28 PM   #14
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I have money ready in case my AD has an aneurysm and forgets that I'm not a VIP for that new Kermit... great addition to the Rolex line-up.

The OP's a gaudy in their colour choices - perhaps they will be better in person as most things are from Rolex.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:28 PM   #15
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Yes, I still want a Pepsi. However. I have zero desire for any of the watches released today.
Get a Pepsi ASAP before Rolex ruin that next.
Old 1 September 2020, 01:30 PM   #16
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

The subs were cool. I like the 41 OP but some of the colors are kind of cheesy.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:34 PM   #17
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Yes a clever turn, that is why they are Rolex. Distribution is changing too I think.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:41 PM   #18
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

They certainly seem to be targeting a younger clientele with the new OP colors. I doubt it has much affect on brand strength though. The sub (and other sports models) will remain enormously popular
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:41 PM   #19
SFBAY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
Yes a clever turn, that is why they are Rolex. Distribution is changing too I think.
Distribution is changing based on what?
Old 1 September 2020, 01:46 PM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
The new Sub being highly anticipated for awhile now really didn't do much for me. I'm more than happy with my 114060 since I've had it for three years now it keeps getting better. The OP41 caught my eye, the 39 felt small but I always liked the brushed bracelet and rounded bezel. Now being a 41mm with an EasyLink its a must see for me. Im really liking that silver/champagne colored dial too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 01:47 PM   #21
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite
I do believe Rolex is now trying to be Invicta
Onewatchguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 02:01 PM   #22
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
New Sub

Quote:
I agree. The size change does not make that much difference but the movement is a big improvement. It looks like they trimmed down the bracelet lugs and it isn't that square block any more, which is a big plus IMO. I did not see if there were any other changes so I can't comment on that.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 02:02 PM   #23
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewatchguy82 View Post
This is a ridiculous statement.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 02:06 PM   #24
JonOnTime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onewatchguy82 View Post
So many prima donnas.

People out here acting like the sub is 48 mils and the oyster perpetual became a quartz. Jeezus
Old 1 September 2020, 02:10 PM   #25
MauiRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The "trendy" new colors on the OP are gross and disappointing for a brand like Rolex. New dials sure, but new materials or new finishing. Not just a few new trendy painted colors. Really disappointing. Step backwards for the brand.
MauiRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 02:10 PM   #26
dpvillanueva
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
I do hope they don't touch the Daytonas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

dpvillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 02:10 PM   #27
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDive View Post
This is a ridiculous statement.

Well hell they make 100 different colors in the 40mm pro diver.
Old 1 September 2020, 02:10 PM   #28
Onewatchguy82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpvillanueva View Post
I do hope they don't touch the Daytonas.

Next Daytona 42mn
Old 1 September 2020, 02:12 PM   #29
MRPWRPATX21
"TRF" Member

Given what this year has thrown at the world, they would be stupid to drop a bunch of splashy watches right now. The world is dealing with a pandemic, they're releasing watches 6 months later than normal, they just told Basel to kiss their ass because they're going rogue next year...not sure that's when I make sweeping line-up changes if I can avoid it.
MRPWRPATX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 02:17 PM   #30
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I must be one of the few that actually like the changes both to the Sub and OPs... If I walk in and see a yellow OP36, i'm pretty sure i'm walking out with it...
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote