The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 September 2020, 08:32 PM   #61
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
I must be one of the few that actually like the changes both to the Sub and OPs... If I walk in and see a yellow OP36, i'm pretty sure i'm walking out with it...
You are not alone. I love all the new releases (okay if I'm being honest the SkyD on rubber is a bit odd). Sign me up for one of those disgusting OP41 colors.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 08:35 PM   #62
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Oh, and here is a killer AirKing from 1966. I guess Rolex liked crazy dials 55 years ago. Huh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3617.JPG (40.5 KB, 245 views)
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 08:42 PM   #63
lubricious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog View Post
People complaining that the new Sub lineup was underwhelming clearly dont understand Rolex Horology. There is almost never significant changes in the Submariner, the Submariner has almost always been a perfect watch so only very subtle or invisible changes are needed from time to time. If you want a new watch with an all new look go buy an Apple watch that will be obsolete and replaced in 2 years, or an Omega who pump out new dials every 4 months. Rolex did it right and has been doing things right for a long time.

Crap. I own an Apple Watch and Omega... and a Sub. But I completely agree with you. Lol!

Spot on statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lubricious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 08:47 PM   #64
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
I just hope this isn't a trend that will affect others like the Daytona. Rolex had the perfect size for their watches as history has shown, also everybody is going back down in size and even the monster truck of watches Panerai is having great success in sizing down.

If they pursue a trend to enlarge their line, then it will be for the worse...but this is a step in the wrong direction at least. If they go down this road further, Rolex will still be successful but they will lose that feverish loyal fan base quality they've enjoyed for so long.
It's what makes Rolex unique, psycho addicted fans like no other, but because we love this traditional position filled with heritage and steadfast history, lose that, lose a whole lot of loyalty.

If this submariner wears anything like the Datejust 41, it would actually wear like a smaller watch. After all, the Datejust 41 is actually under 40mm.

Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 08:48 PM   #65
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the new watches. Some more than others but I think Rolex did a good job.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 08:52 PM   #66
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC116710LN View Post
They certainly seem to be targeting a younger clientele with the new OP colors. I doubt it has much affect on brand strength though. The sub (and other sports models) will remain enormously popular
This.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 09:28 PM   #67
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBAY View Post
Underwhelming showing to say the least. Is Rolex aiming for the Swatch customer? Clearly trying (emphasis on trying) to appeal to a different customer base. Some of the new watches could use a Swatch guard. Disappointing.

Sub change is meh.
Yeah, they went a little crazy with the bright colors and fattened up OPs, but the big news is that they brought back traditional proportions to the submariners.

After a lost decade, their iconic diver is back!
Old 1 September 2020, 09:49 PM   #68
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

I agree that they have corrected a previous mistake by returning the Subs lugs to a more classic look. I have always hated the Hulk (it’s so green) but quite liked the Kermit so I like that change as well.

I realise that the current GMT models are very popular but wish they would take them back to brushed Oyster bracelets and classic dimensions with an all Black and a Coke bezel option.

The OP’s younger look was a good idea although I prefer the Silver/Champagne dial with white gold applied hour markers. The yellow gold is a little fussy on a watch that should be deliberately plain and clean looking.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:00 PM   #69
Nixshah
"TRF" Member

I agree with the OP to a certain degree, but I am holding out for the 2021 releases slated for early next year. Maybe Rolex will surprise us with some more compelling updates.
Nixshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:37 PM   #70
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Underwhelming showing to say the least. Is Rolex aiming for the Swatch customer? Clearly trying (emphasis on trying) to appeal to a different customer base. Some of the new watches could use a Swatch guard. Disappointing.

Sub change is meh.
Disappointing.... to you perhaps. There will be a multiyear wait for these-you can count on it. In general, you will see most view these as a success. These are the models that should have followed the 5 digit models. With the new subs, the 1mm increase im not thrilled with, but its almost not discernible to the eyes and more in line with the classic 4/5 digit watches. So im not sure who you are referring to when you say a different costumer base? I would agree with the giant puffed out lugs from the previos version, Rolex was only trying to increase wrist presence of the watch (no other functional purpose for that) and that more appeals to a different costumer base? The new releases are closer to the 5 digit than they are to the giant lug versions.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:43 PM   #71
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Disappointing.... to you perhaps. There will be a multiyear wait for these-you can count on it. In general, you will see most view these as a success. These are the models that should have followed the 5 digit models. With the new subs, the 1mm increase im not thrilled with, but its almost not discernible to the eyes and more in line with the classic 4/5 digit watches. So im not sure who you are referring to when you say a different costumer base? I would agree with the giant puffed out lugs from the previos version, Rolex was only trying to increase wrist presence of the watch (no other functional purpose for that) and that more appeals to a different costumer base? The new releases are closer to the 5 digit than they are to the giant lug versions.
No doubt there will be a wait for these and they will sell plenty!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:48 PM   #72
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
They changed the SubC what all the forum members asked for, more refined lugs, the new submariner seems beautiful to me.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
This ^^^

Apparently we need to be careful what we ask for

I like the changes but I don’t dislike the previous super case design either. I think both can do-exist in a collection. Call me crazy
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:57 PM   #73
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod297 View Post
I felt the same way upon initial review. But after seeing some live reviews on youtube, I think it's a better sub.

I think everyone was hoping/expecting for a Blue Dial & Blue Ceramic SS Sub. When it didn't materialize, everyone was very let down.

Give it time, I think the watch will be great.

Unfortunately, I don't think the new Green & Blue bezel subs will be as popular as it's predecessors. The dials on those 2 are what makes them special.

Agreed with both of your points, there was a lot of hope for a blue Sub in SS and the Hulk and Smurf are so special and distinctive because of their dials. These new releases are a bit of a letdown for me (Sub-wise). The OP’s are interesting, though.

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 10:59 PM   #74
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I love the new Sub. as much as the old, it's time to add more to my collection.

Some people just loves to complain about everything.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 11:00 PM   #75
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
If this submariner wears anything like the Datejust 41, it would actually wear like a smaller watch. After all, the Datejust 41 is actually under 40mm.

Datejust 41 is 39mm and the Sub 41 may also be 39-40mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adc1fe789eba55592851136a18521bb1.jpg (222.8 KB, 157 views)
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 11:22 PM   #76
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
They are moving away from their traditional sizes!

I like 36-38-40mm.

41mm is not something I wished for!

The colours, I like! Reminds me of stella dials! Im glad Rolex found their crayons.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 11:24 PM   #77
psv
"TRF" Member

I for one think the new Submariner line looks great. I will withhold my comments until I see them in person, but I'm hopeful.

I would be more upset if they would have messed up the classic Submariner line. What did you guys expect in terms of changes?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 11:54 PM   #78
madlad17
"TRF" Member

Just as a small clarification, both the pictures and the information on the website have been updated. All Subs still have the triplock crowns and the TTs do indeed have gold crowns.
madlad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2020, 11:58 PM   #79
karlsbad69
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sub change is meh.

OK boomer

New subs are awesome! Can't wait to see in person.
karlsbad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:10 AM   #80
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Get ready for the new 41mm coke GMTs in 2021.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:20 AM   #81
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Daytona was very luke warm when it was first released... stranger things had happen.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:26 AM   #82
zjd168
"TRF" Member

I see the Rolex brand getting stronger and stronger everyday
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:43 AM   #83
GBD
"TRF" Member

I like all the changes across the board, except for the SkyD on rubber...that one just looks wrong to me.

But the new Sub looks like a much more harmonious design, and I love the bright OP dials, especially the yellow.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:51 AM   #84
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleburns View Post
Yellow looked awesome! I can't wait to see it but i guess that's cheesy in your case

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I see what you did there
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 12:54 AM   #85
PaulEvansLoafers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116610
I think Rolex was smart in adding the new OPs.

If successful, they would have managed to expand their customer base to include newer/younger generations all the while keeping the current one with the Sub line improvements, bluesy, etc.

Good job, in my mind.
PaulEvansLoafers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 01:32 AM   #86
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Rolex brand took a turn today...

5,619 people were disappointed and gave up on Rolex today.

561,900 just added their names to a waitlist, real or imaginary.

Old 2 September 2020, 01:38 AM   #87
Chumpey
"TRF" Member

Eh...this isn't what I'd call 'disappointing'. Having been a fan of the brand and followed it for some decades now: this is still a move forward.

The missteps for me are the switch to a steel crown on the two-tone models (along with the white text on the bluesy) which just seems stingy and the change to a 21mm lug width. I get that's probably to keep it in proportion, but I'm not a fan.

I know that the TT Yachtmasters had steel crowns, but I always figured that was to maintain balance with the fully gold bezel. Anyway...whatever, I'm never going to be able to get one at retail so fudge it: BlackBay 58 it is!
Chumpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 01:40 AM   #88
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
It's amusing that people actually get bent out of shape over 1 mm difference in diameter. It's not like Rolex comes out with a 51 mm sub...
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 01:42 AM   #89
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
The OP41 caught my eye, the 39 felt small but I always liked the brushed bracelet and rounded bezel. Now being a 41mm with an EasyLink its a must see for me. Im really liking that silver/champagne colored dial too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
This is also the only release that caught my eye. Looking forward to seeing this in the metal.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 01:44 AM   #90
Chumpey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
It's amusing that people actually get bent out of shape over 1 mm difference in diameter. It's not like Rolex comes out with a 51 mm sub...
Ha, yes exactly. I bet the 1mm difference is hardly noticeable in person. I'll take it for the better proportions.
Chumpey is offline   Reply With Quote