The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 September 2020, 04:51 PM   #1
Gary.
"TRF" Member

They don't want to make the Sub bigger.

I think we are looking at the the 41mm the wrong way. What has Rolex really been trying to accomplish?

Firstly, you have to consider the reasoning for the Super Case. Rolex is famously slow and conservative and, when watches started growing, they wanted to give us a larger-looking watch without departing from their 40mm standard. They wouldn't need to change much- date wheel etc). Just add a little metal and "Bingo".
Don't forget that they were also introducing ceramic bezels and Maxi-Dials to the Sub' which were pretty shocking by Rolex's standards.

A decade of complaining later, and Rolex has a new movement and is looking to address those lugs in a refresh.

But, if they just slim down the lugs, the watch will clearly look smaller and, while the big watch trend may be over, they are Rolex and they don't take two steps when one will do.

So they alter the case shape and the bracelet width in order to address the lugs without hurting the all-important "wrist presence" that people are so fond of.

The goal wasn't to make a bigger watch. The goal was to make a better-looking watch that looked the same size.

Thoughts?
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 04:55 PM   #2
dpvillanueva
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
The problem for me with the last gen of Maxicase Subs is that the lugs' corners actually hurt my wrist. They're not very ergonomical, just built on the Sub template that's made more robust. I couldn't wear the watch daily even if I wanted to for the aforementioned reason.
dpvillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It looks good, yes, but also more conventional, like countless other watches. It also looks big on the wrist, with the wider bracelet, which a number of people seem to really like.

Where you are on the spectrum of “this vs that” is up to you, but one is not “better” than the other.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 04:57 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpvillanueva View Post
The problem for me with the last gen of Maxicase Subs is that the lugs' corners actually hurt my wrist. They're not very ergonomical, just built on the Sub template that's made more robust. I couldn't wear the watch daily even if I wanted to for the aforementioned reason.
With the lugs seemingly a bit longer and about the same width, you may find the same discomfort.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 05:01 PM   #5
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Rolex didn't 'fix' anything. They made the previous shape for 12 years with zero changes. Now they have introduced a new, larger model to bring the Sub into line with the SD/DSSD.

There are no big/small watch trends - just manufacturers filling as many size niches as they can. Over the past several years, Rolex has increased the size of several models (or added larger versions) and some other manufacturers have added smaller models to their range. It's just good business to cater for as many tastes as possible (similar to auto makers). This current internet obsession over watch sizes (or indeed shapes) is baffling - there are plenty of options for everyone, including those who enjoy a variety of styles and sizes.

Btw, nothing new about maxi-dials - you'll find them on some vintage Subs and also the 5-digit LV.
Old 2 September 2020, 05:12 PM   #6
C_Troy242
"TRF" Member

21mm bracelet is just weird. It literally looks 1mm too wide, chunk of metal. The case shape I like.
C_Troy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 05:19 PM   #7
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpvillanueva View Post

Not to be a dick, but is it safe to say that you have a fat wrist? My wrist size is 6.7 and the corners of the case come no where close to poking my skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2020, 05:39 PM   #8
dpvillanueva
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
I actually have a small wrist...but there's something with sub lugs that don't fit well with it. i mean look how big a Daytona looks on it.
I don't get hurt with daytona lugs though. IMG_20200830_121154_copy_1250x1250.jpg
dpvillanueva is offline   Reply With Quote