The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 October 2020, 08:49 PM   #1
miatang
"TRF" Member

Is power reserve covered by the warranty?

I noticed my P-01 was stopping short of its power reserve lately.

I gave it a full wind and left it for couple of days. It stopped after 59 hours, some 11 hours short of its estimated 70 hours.

The watch is less than a year old and I was wondering if this would be covered under warranty or would I have to pay for a service?
miatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:00 PM   #2
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatang View Post
I noticed my P-01 was stopping short of its power reserve lately.

I gave it a full wind and left it for couple of days. It stopped after 59 hours, some 11 hours short of its estimated 70 hours.

The watch is less than a year old and I was wondering if this would be covered under warranty or would I have to pay for a service?
I would guess that the watch has a maximum power reserve of 70 hours if the criteria used to measure this is replicated in real life.

However, real life rarely if ever replicates testing so any reserve will be totally dependent on how the watch is used.

My suggestion would be to wind the watch, put it on your wrist for a week or two only removing it to sleep, at the end of the two weeks take the watch off, leave it and see how long it runs for. If you are still unhappy go and have a chat with the AD who supplied the watch and get their input.

The key fact is to use the watch as it was meant to be used then measure the performance.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:10 PM   #3
miatang
"TRF" Member

The watch is used most week days and only left off the wrist whilst sleeping and during the weekends.

I would put it in the box Friday night and noticed it had already stopped on Monday. This lead me to testing the power reserve as there might be an issue.
Old 27 October 2020, 09:25 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
The watch is used most week days and only left off the wrist whilst sleeping and during the weekends.

I would put it in the box Friday night and noticed it had already stopped on Monday. This lead me to testing the power reserve as there might be an issue.
First that would depend on how you wound it, as they need 60 plus full crown turns clockwise only to fully wind mainspring. And wearing a watch does not wind the watch its wrist activity that winds the watch. And I would doubt if you have any problem with your watch as even 59 hours reserve is good.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:44 PM   #5
webble1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I would guess that the watch has a maximum power reserve of 70 hours if the criteria used to measure this is replicated in real life.

However, real life rarely if ever replicates testing so any reserve will be totally dependent on how the watch is used.

My suggestion would be to wind the watch, put it on your wrist for a week or two only removing it to sleep, at the end of the two weeks take the watch off, leave it and see how long it runs for. If you are still unhappy go and have a chat with the AD who supplied the watch and get their input.

The key fact is to use the watch as it was meant to be used then measure the performance.
I would think the reserve is measured from the main spring being fully wound. Does it matter if it’s done manually?
Not sure what tolerance Rolex allows as they seem to refer to “Approximate power reserve”
webble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:44 PM   #6
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post

All of my 31xx movements have had and currently have a power reserve in the order of 47.5 - 48.5 hours.
With an advertised power reserve of 48 hours, i would say that is about right all day every day and well within acceptable tolerances.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 09:48 PM   #7
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webble1 View Post
Does it matter if it’s done manually?
Of course not.
A full wind is a full wind regardless of how it's achieved.
Old 27 October 2020, 09:51 PM   #8
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First that would depend on how you wound it, as they need 60 plus full crown turns clockwise only to fully wind mainspring. And wearing a watch does not wind the watch its wrist activity that winds the watch. And I would doubt if you have any problem with your watch as even 59 hours reserve is good.
I gave it 60 full crown turns before setting in the box.

59 hours is a good reserve but some way far off the estimated 70 hours quoted.
Old 27 October 2020, 09:53 PM   #9
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
All of my 31xx movements have had and currently have a power reserve in the order of 47.5 - 48.5 hours.
With an advertised power reserve of 48 hours, i would say that is about right all day every day and well within acceptable tolerances.
If it was coupe hours off the quote reserve I wouldnt be worried. The fact its 11 hours short of the quoted figure has got me worried there could be issues.
Old 27 October 2020, 10:01 PM   #10
tanask211
"TRF" Member

Previously I tried wearing my BB Dark for few days and give a 40 rounds of winding before recording the power reserve. It was able to run for 72 hours which somehow exceeded the specification of 70 hours.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 10:20 PM   #11
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’m sure power reserve is covered. But you may want to do more testing before you send it in. As many have stated the 70 hours is under perfect conditions. Maybe try a few more times and see what happens. I’ve honestly never tested any of my watches. Now I’m kind of curious. For me, and how I wear them, as long as I can get through overnight I’m fine. I Ritter often and have to wind them anyways. Now and then I’ll take a watch off Friday evening and when I go to put it back on on Monday I’ll notice it’s dead, usually dying 8-12 hours prior. So I figure the reserve is close enough to 40 for the ones that are in that range. I do have a 8-day Panerai and I often take it on vacation. I’ll wind it the day I leave and it’s still got power on our way home 7 days later. It’s kind of fun to count down the days on vacation because it has a power reserve indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 October 2020, 10:50 PM   #12
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
I’m sure power reserve is covered. But you may want to do more testing before you send it in. As many have stated the 70 hours is under perfect conditions. Maybe try a few more times and see what happens. I’ve honestly never tested any of my watches. Now I’m kind of curious. For me, and how I wear them, as long as I can get through overnight I’m fine. I Ritter often and have to wind them anyways. Now and then I’ll take a watch off Friday evening and when I go to put it back on on Monday I’ll notice it’s dead, usually dying 8-12 hours prior. So I figure the reserve is close enough to 40 for the ones that are in that range. I do have a 8-day Panerai and I often take it on vacation. I’ll wind it the day I leave and it’s still got power on our way home 7 days later. It’s kind of fun to count down the days on vacation because it has a power reserve indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 59 hours I got when testing is more than enough for me really. I'm just worried the shorter reserve is a sign of another issue.

Like you suggested I'll test it a few more times and see what the results are.
Old 27 October 2020, 10:57 PM   #13
darius359
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Try winding it 70+ times since the mainspring is lengthier now. See if the result differs if you're performing a timing test.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
darius359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 11:29 PM   #14
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius359 View Post
Try winding it 70+ times since the mainspring is lengthier now. See if the result differs if you're performing a timing test.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go
Old 27 October 2020, 11:42 PM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I also think how the unworn watch is positioned affects the PR. On either side creates more gravity effect. I would think face up or down is best.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 12:14 AM   #16
Paul7
Banned

I hope it's covered, my wife's DJ 31 is back for service under warranty, it has often stopped in the morning after being worn the previous day.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 12:59 AM   #17
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go
Moreover, please keep in mind that the watch should run for a _minimum_ of 70 hours and, as another member already wrote in this thread, usually you should expect 72/74 hours or power reserve.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 01:13 AM   #18
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Moreover, please keep in mind that the watch should run for a _minimum_ of 70 hours and, as another member already wrote in this thread, usually you should expect 72/74 hours or power reserve.
Yes I was expecting it should be close to 70 hours which Im sure it was when I first bought it
Old 28 October 2020, 01:13 AM   #19
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I also think how the unworn watch is positioned affects the PR. On either side creates more gravity effect. I would think face up or down is best.
Placed face up in the box so the position side of things should be optimum
Old 28 October 2020, 01:14 AM   #20
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I hope it's covered, my wife's DJ 31 is back for service under warranty, it has often stopped in the morning after being worn the previous day.
If I do have to go to the AD with this issue I will report back with progress
Old 28 October 2020, 02:50 AM   #21
darius359
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Placed face up in the box so the position side of things should be optimum
Position effects timing, not power reserve.

darius359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 03:11 AM   #22
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
If I do have to go to the AD with this issue I will report back with progress
Great. If they advertise 70 hours you should get 70 hours.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 03:17 AM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Great. If they advertise 70 hours you should get 70 hours.
Possibly but only when the mainspring is fully wound now that could be 70 plus full turns clockwise only. Myself would let movement fully run down and stop, then fully re-wind and re-check.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 04:15 AM   #24
XBMX
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona-114060 Sub
First off let me say that I'm no authority only a experienced owner. I've run the gamit starting with a SS DateJust in the 60's buying selling trading up to my first President to a TT Daytona. The model that saw the most wrist time has been a RootBeer GMT, I've owned two. After retirement Subs have become my daily choice.

[B]padi56[B] instructs winding 70 full turns. All this time I've wound foward-back foward-back whenever winding was needed. Thats like 1/3 of a rotation per stroke. Underwound yes, but my stopping issues I believe are directly related to lack of activity. My Daytona never stopped, not untill I retired. To keep my new 114060 running I have to shake it nightly before bed. I always loved showing off my Rolex and getting it noticed by someone. Next person to comment "nice watch" I'm going to spoil the moment by replying "it always stops or keeps lowsy time" just for the reaction.
XBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2020, 06:22 AM   #25
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Possibly but only when the mainspring is fully wound now that could be 70 plus full turns clockwise only. Myself would let movement fully run down and stop, then fully re-wind and re-check.
Good advise
Old 28 October 2020, 07:59 PM   #26
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the process of giving this a try. Thanks for the advice
Old 29 October 2020, 07:53 AM   #27
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
if you're winding from stop, a good amount of turns. it should last to it's rated reserve capacity and I am sure Rolex would warrant that unless they felt the watch was damaged from improper use, or modified or something like that.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 07:27 PM   #28
miatang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
if you're winding from stop, a good amount of turns. it should last to it's rated reserve capacity and I am sure Rolex would warrant that unless they felt the watch was damaged from improper use, or modified or something like that.
My thoughts were similar. I'm in the process of giving it a second test before going to the AD.
Old 24 November 2020, 01:44 PM   #29
andyb1402
"TRF" Member

How did your 2nd test go?
andyb1402 is offline   Reply With Quote