The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 November 2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Vanalich
"TRF" Member

Polaris - yay or nay?!

Folks! Need some help here. Am eyeing JLC for my collection (never had one before) and recently came across this review where the author is basically bashing Polaris as uninspiring, poor quality and plain boring watch lacking any attractive details about it.

Now, I am no expert myself and have no idea whether to take this seriously or not. I personally like the watch, and it is relatively affordable and stylish. I would sincerely appreciate your thoughts both on the review and the watch itself!!

Thanks in advance.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/jaeger-...tomatic-watch/

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Vanalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 10:09 PM   #2
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I find the Polaris uninspiring also and with all of the watches in the JLC line-up somewhat underwhelming. With that said, if you like the watch and can get it for the right price then why not? Resale is dismal but JLC makes a fine watch. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 10:27 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I like the bracelet and the “recessed” dial. Not too keen on the indices though.

You’d have to buy it at the right price so as not to take too big a hit if you decide to move it on.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2020, 11:27 PM   #4
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

ABTW is crap reporting if you ask me. If you watch their reviews, they are all the same and all paid placements. They say really nice stuff about obvious crap watches.

Anyway. I love the Polaris. Is like getting a sub with an explorer dial.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 04:27 AM   #5
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I’m surprised at how negative the review was, I mean I agree with the author, but 99% of all watch reporting could be written by the watch companies themselves. Hodinkee being the most embarrasing of the bunch.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 12:19 PM   #6
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I am an avid watch collector. I like the Polaris and nearly pulled the trigger on it in Jamaica. If you want one, keep in mind that authorized dealers will discount JLCs in the vicinity of 20%. If yours won’t, try another.

Personally, I like the blue faces more than the black.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2020, 12:31 AM   #7
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
ABTW is crap reporting if you ask me. If you watch their reviews, they are all the same and all paid placements. They say really nice stuff about obvious crap watches.

Anyway. I love the Polaris. Is like getting a sub with an explorer dial.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I agree with you regarding ABTW being crap reporting. In particular, I remember that Polaris review - a long and rambling article that barely presented any factual information, but just a repetitive personal opinion.
Old 16 November 2020, 06:02 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Polaris - yay or nay?!

Personally I rather like the design and JLC is a great manufacturer.

The watch-makers, watchmaker.

Not a fan of the article, reads a bit weak.

OP - buy what you like, not what some blog tells you to.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 03:15 PM   #9
Bassplayer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wife says too many
Couldn’t even get through the first paragraph. Who wrote that overly wana be descriptive mess?

JLC is the real deal. Plenty like the Polaris and plenty don’t. It comes down to you and your wrist. But, the quality is there with JLC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

" I prefer to drink; not drive "
John Alec Entwistle
Bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 11:21 PM   #10
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
I don't dislike it. I once considered it. I decided not to get it. It's no longer on my list of watches I want. Too many other diver options that are more desirable.

If I get a JLC, it will be a Reverso or Master Control.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:35 AM   #11
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
That is a pretty tough article to read. I remember skipping through it before. I always liked the Polaris (yay here) and think it would be a great piece to have. I came close to buying a slightly used blue dial non date on bracelet from a TS. I just couldn't commit to pulling the trigger thinking I want to thin the herd before adding any. So I watched it sit for quite awhile from 6.5k all the way to 5.8k before it disappeared.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:55 AM   #12
chunkythebulldog
"TRF" Member

Yay from me

IMG_9.jpg
chunkythebulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 10:00 PM   #13
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

it's a beautiful dial in blue, fancied the design when it was released. how much is it retailed at in HK btw? taken dealer's discount into account? if it's cheaper i'd be keen to make that purchase there.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2020, 01:44 PM   #14
FrostyJunction
"TRF" Member

I remember reading that article awhile back. It is such a bad write-up. I don't own one but it is on my short list. A friend of mine has the black version. It is flat out gorgeous. The different textures on the dial are awesome. The finishing is topnotch. JLC is definitely a step above most brands when it comes to quality and finishing. Plain and boring? Well that all depends on what we like. My Explorer 1 is super plain as is my SEAM 300 1957 and BB. I love simple clean dials without a date. The Polaris fits right in that category. Don't buy a watch based on what others think. Buy what is right for you. None of us needs to be validated by what others think of our watches. You do you.
FrostyJunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2020, 08:44 PM   #15
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

As others have said - seems like a rubbish piece of watch journalism, rather than a rubbish watch.

I have a reverso and generally like the JLC brand and positioning. To me part of what is great about JLC is that there is a subtlety about it all. Making amazing watches, but not needed to scream about it. If that is plain and boring, then I am all for it.

If someone is wearing a JLC I think they either know about watches or they just have good taste.

If I did not have too many watches already a Polaris would definitely be on my list. I think the rubber strap makes it incredibly wearable. Find a decent discount and enjoy it.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2020, 09:04 AM   #16
watchbobby
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I am an avid watch collector. I like the Polaris and nearly pulled the trigger on it in Jamaica. If you want one, keep in mind that authorized dealers will discount JLCs in the vicinity of 20%. If yours won’t, try another.

Personally, I like the blue faces more than the black.
Curious as to where in Jamaica you would find a JLC? I was there several times a number of years ago, and while I wasn't watch shopping then I can't recall seeing anywhere that one could buy that type of watch. I probably would have been careful about wearing one there, for sure.
watchbobby is offline   Reply With Quote