The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 August 2017, 12:24 AM   #61
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
The site confused me...so, you bid on a style of watch, say a sub and they contact all the sub sellers with your offer and, if one accepts, you "win" the watch?
Do you get to see high rez pics of the watch you're getting ? Do you get to choose which sub you're bidding on ?
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 12:36 AM   #62
axelfoley
"TRF" Member

Maybe this BLNR is one of the lower cyclops magnification models?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=457513
axelfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 12:42 AM   #63
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
The site confused me...so, you bid on a style of watch, say a sub and they contact all the sub sellers with your offer and, if one accepts, you "win" the watch?
Do you get to see high rez pics of the watch you're getting ? Do you get to choose which sub you're bidding on ?
I checked out the website a couple of weekends ago when they offered 20% off on all watches. I was very confused, too. You don't see any picture, you don't know the condition of the watch, the year, etc. You don't if it is a stolen good.
I did not want to take the chance.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 12:44 AM   #64
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Box and papers are worth about $1k to DavidSW if you are trading it in.
Old 26 August 2017, 02:02 AM   #65
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxc145 View Post
Just curious. If a stolen watch was purchased by someone unawared and he or she sends the watch to RSC for service. What would RSC do?
I believe it'll be comfiscated and returned to the rightful owner or insurance company.
I believe that's just Internet lore. Who's to say that person A had their watch stolen, reported it, and then it was recovered, the insurance company sold it to person B who flipped it to person C who sent it in to the RSC for a service? Can RSC keep it? I think not. That's theft. I doubt that they want that kind of liability. Maybe they'd notify the original owner and let them take it from there, I can see that, possibly...

Remember guys, just because you read it on the Internet doesn't mean that it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Box and papers are worth about $1k to DavidSW if you are trading it in.
In my personal experience with two recent (contemporary) Rolexes, at resale time, the lack of the warranty card, even expired, is generally worth about $1000. The first watch, I didn't know that, and took it in the shorts when I went to sell it. Now I'm a more educated buyer.

Anywho... back to the OP and his misfortune. The watch, from what I can tell in your pictures, looks OK, but as noted by some, there are some awfully good fakes out there. Heck, someone could have bought an older GMT and swapped the hands and bezel to get the BLNR premium. I'd start with having a watchmaker pop off the back to check the movement, and if that's OK but you still have doubts, maybe send it to the RSC for an "estimate" of service, and they'll likely tell you if it's not what it is supposed to be, based on the serial number. Especially if you ask them.

This sucks. You hate to spend that kind of money and then have doubts. Best of luck!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 02:12 AM   #66
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
All this fuss is why I bought my BLNR new from a local AD.
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:15 AM   #67
carloman
"TRF" Member

Watch: and learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronMTL View Post
This is generally true for a lot of cheaper fakes, but there are $400 fakes that look very real and do have the correct hand stack....

I personally would pay $1800 more for the box, papers and more importantly peace of mind
I also completely agree with this.

I understand the appeal some have for bargain-hunting, but considering the risks versus the relatively small returns with high-end watch trading, I feel that one is much better off playing with stocks if all they want to do is come out ahead financially.

I remember when I was selling a blue Bond Seamaster a while ago, and I thought how the scam can easily run both ways, which is why I chose instead to suffer through the many nut-job replies I knew I'd get selling it locally on kijiji. Ex: Customer buys a high-end watch via Ebay and pays through Paypal. Receives the watch. Switches it out for a really good fake and returns it for whatever reason. There you go...

If the goal is to acquire a high end piece of luxury for themselves, then I think the most stressful part should simply be during the time when you decide/justify whether or not you can afford it, not after acquiring it. Go to an AD, or at the very least a trusted BNIB seller on here, pay what you already know is the going price for the item (since you researched the heck out of it ahead of time, right?) and then enjoy.

I also really enjoyed the experience of sitting down in the Rolex area of the AD, being shown different models, offered a drink, coddled a little, and then basking in that new car smell. It's at the core of the consumer experience for me.

This is strictly my opinion, and I hope I haven't offended anybody with my rant. I fully understand that for some it's all about the deal. I've just found that once I know I'm being offered a non-inflated price for something I want and can afford, I don't see the appeal of trying to scrape more off the top. I'm pretty sure that I must be every AD's dream customer.
carloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:58 AM   #68
dominate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z-blue Milli
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
You don't get to see any real pictures because they only allow "Like new- excellent condition" to be sold
dominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:58 AM   #69
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloman View Post
I also completely agree with this.

I understand the appeal some have for bargain-hunting, but considering the risks versus the relatively small returns with high-end watch trading, I feel that one is much better off playing with stocks if all they want to do is come out ahead financially.

I remember when I was selling a blue Bond Seamaster a while ago, and I thought how the scam can easily run both ways, which is why I chose instead to suffer through the many nut-job replies I knew I'd get selling it locally on kijiji. Ex: Customer buys a high-end watch via Ebay and pays through Paypal. Receives the watch. Switches it out for a really good fake and returns it for whatever reason. There you go...

If the goal is to acquire a high end piece of luxury for themselves, then I think the most stressful part should simply be during the time when you decide/justify whether or not you can afford it, not after acquiring it. Go to an AD, or at the very least a trusted BNIB seller on here, pay what you already know is the going price for the item (since you researched the heck out of it ahead of time, right?) and then enjoy.

I also really enjoyed the experience of sitting down in the Rolex area of the AD, being shown different models, offered a drink, coddled a little, and then basking in that new car smell. It's at the core of the consumer experience for me.

This is strictly my opinion, and I hope I haven't offended anybody with my rant. I fully understand that for some it's all about the deal. I've just found that once I know I'm being offered a non-inflated price for something I want and can afford, I don't see the appeal of trying to scrape more off the top. I'm pretty sure that I must be every AD's dream customer.
I agree with you, and if you're an AD's dream customer, I am too. The margin of savings you get online just isn't worth the risk. Indeed, before I bought my BLNR, I went *first* to Amazon because I buy everything there and hadn't bought an expensive watch in 17 years.

The back and forths with the several sellers was just enough 'off' to send me to my superb AD here in the SF Bay Area (Shreve & Co. on Post Street) and I've not regretted anything. The stress just isn't worth it.

And it's also good you point out that the scamming goes both ways. I've been scammed enough on eBay as a *seller* that I think you raise another good point and another reason to buy only from an AD or a trusted seller here. I'm grateful I found TRF.

OP, I join the others in wishing a good outcome on this. Sorry you're going through these doubts, but it's good that you're checking out your watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6269.jpg (267.3 KB, 285 views)
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 03:59 AM   #70
dominate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z-blue Milli
I'm going to get a watchmaker to open the case-back, stay tune
dominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 04:16 AM   #71
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominate View Post
I'm going to get a watchmaker to open the case-back, stay tune
I would take it to Rolex, not an independent. It's probably the only way you will put it to bed completely.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 04:54 AM   #72
TMore9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I would take it to Rolex, not an independent. It's probably the only way you will put it to bed completely.
+1

The daytona I purchased was taken to 2 independents and they both said everything checked out... they only agreed with me on the dial when I showed them pictures of a ceramic daytona compared to mine.

Taking it to Rolex is the only way to know for sure what's going on with that watch.

BTW, stock X has received my watch and I got an email from them saying they have reversed the money to my CC and I should expect it in 1-2 business days.
TMore9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 06:28 AM   #73
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominate View Post
You don't get to see any real pictures because they only allow "Like new- excellent condition" to be sold
but, like new for a watch compare to shoes is very different though. I personally would not buy a watch with dings, dents, or deep scratch. Even if there is only one and even if it is only a day old.
Also, a 5 year old watch could be like new if it is never worn, but the warranty has expired. And let's not forget the source of the watch. There are just too much information not provided.
Old 26 August 2017, 07:18 AM   #74
Vecuronium
"TRF" Member

Your watch is genuine.
Vecuronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 10:41 AM   #75
ilovewatches999
"TRF" Member

It looks legit, were you able to find the etched crown in the crystal? Normally it's at 6' o'clock but I know others have found legitimate etchings at other spaces of the crystal. You can also take the bracelet off and check between the lugs for the model number at the 12 o'clock side and the case material at the 6 o'clock side. Those two quick tests on newer models are generally quick identifiers because most mid grade replicas don't waste time on them as most don't check for them prior to purchase. Other than that you're going to have to get the case back open, as there are replicas that are almost identical to authentic until you look under the hood. Best of luck and I hope it turns out well for you!
ilovewatches999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 10:49 AM   #76
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Unless you're planning to flip, box and papers aren't important. Congrats and great deal IMO.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 11:32 AM   #77
Doood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewatches999 View Post
It looks legit, were you able to find the etched crown in the crystal? Normally it's at 6' o'clock but I know others have found legitimate etchings at other spaces of the crystal. You can also take the bracelet off and check between the lugs for the model number at the 12 o'clock side and the case material at the 6 o'clock side. Those two quick tests on newer models are generally quick identifiers because most mid grade replicas don't waste time on them as most don't check for them prior to purchase. Other than that you're going to have to get the case back open, as there are replicas that are almost identical to authentic until you look under the hood. Best of luck and I hope it turns out well for you!
FWIW, in post #20, 4th picture down, you can make out the etched crown. That's all I have to offer. I hope all works out for OP.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 12:46 PM   #78
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I believe that's just Internet lore. Who's to say that person A had their watch stolen, reported it, and then it was recovered, the insurance company sold it to person B who flipped it to person C who sent it in to the RSC for a service? Can RSC keep it? I think not. That's theft. I doubt that they want that kind of liability. Maybe they'd notify the original owner and let them take it from there, I can see that, possibly...

Remember guys, just because you read it on the Internet doesn't mean that it's true.

In my personal experience with two recent (contemporary) Rolexes, at resale time, the lack of the warranty card, even expired, is generally worth about $1000. The first watch, I didn't know that, and took it in the shorts when I went to sell it. Now I'm a more educated buyer.

Anywho... back to the OP and his misfortune. The watch, from what I can tell in your pictures, looks OK, but as noted by some, there are some awfully good fakes out there. Heck, someone could have bought an older GMT and swapped the hands and bezel to get the BLNR premium. I'd start with having a watchmaker pop off the back to check the movement, and if that's OK but you still have doubts, maybe send it to the RSC for an "estimate" of service, and they'll likely tell you if it's not what it is supposed to be, based on the serial number. Especially if you ask them.

This sucks. You hate to spend that kind of money and then have doubts. Best of luck!
Well. Once RSC returns it to the 1st owner OR the insurance company, it is no longer stolen. I assume RSC would take it off the "stolen watch" list?
Old 26 August 2017, 03:17 PM   #79
bbressler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp, GMTII, Sub
It looks legit, possibly with a cyclops who's mag is slightly off, but this was a not uncommon problem a few years back. Still...what a shady process for buying a luxury watch. I would never spend that kind of money without seeing lots of high res pictures and knowing who the actual seller is.
bbressler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batman , gmt , hulk , stockx , submariner