The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2020, 02:34 AM   #61
djyolky
Banned

Relationships!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:50 AM   #62
Miker86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
In the process of doing that, cheers
Will you not just get stung with import duties if you buy from DavidSW?
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:55 AM   #63
Flyfisher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
I'm looking at Panerai, they are doing many more interesting things than Rolex.

You mean like actually having watches available for purchase?
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:57 AM   #64
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker86 View Post
Yep vat.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:58 AM   #65
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
Exactly, what a novel concept! It's incredible really... when you walk in, you see a complete range of models. The best part, you can also try them on!

Old 23 June 2020, 03:12 AM   #66
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
I expect that a Rolex AD has readily available for purchase 97 out of 100 models.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 03:20 AM   #67
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRacker View Post
Great read Matt! Consider yourself very lucky you had epiphany after only 6 months. Personally, it took me several years before I reached the inevitable conclusion everyone else who's been doing this for a while reaches. I own 4 grail pieces and I'll go over the story behind each one:

Grail #1 Black Daytona 116250
Bought from a grey dealer back in 2005. At that time MSRP was $6700. I paid $10K. It was a lot back then and I was even kicking myself a bit as to why I capitulated and went grey. That purchase is looking real sweet now.

Grail #2 Black Daytona 116500LN
Bought directly from and AD with no prior purchase history. You read that right. Nada. Zip. Zero. How did I pull this off? Connections. A relative was good friends with the owner of a multi-store AD. They made 1 call (actually I think it may have been a text). AD moved me to the top of the list, ahead of all the other VIPs. I had it 3 weeks later.

Grail # 3 Submariner 116610LN
Bought from an AD with no prior purchase history. No connections this time. How did I pull this off? I got lucky and ran into a very sweet young lady who somehow felt sorry for me. She was also hoping this would be the piece they'd use to reel me in get me to bundle and buy high end pieces later on. But I never took the bait. There have been many similar stories here in TRF. It depends largely on luck and where you're located.

Grail #4 GMT 126710BLRO
Bought grey and paid what I had to pay.

So there you have it. Other than just laying down and going grey I don't thing any of my experiences are repeatable. It will save you a lot of time and frustration. And time is the most precious resource of all. We tend to forget that sometimes. Best of Luck!
Wow incredible! Time to exit the business while you can lol
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 03:21 AM   #68
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Relationships!

Ya exactly, ie spending tons of cash on PM
Old 23 June 2020, 03:22 AM   #69
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker86 View Post
I’ve spoken with a few grey dealers and apparently they ship in way that doesn’t get charged duties/taxes, although they do say it’s possible to still get hit and they’re not responsible, so it really is a gamble in the end.
Old 23 June 2020, 03:25 AM   #70
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
I’ve spoken with a few grey dealers and apparently they ship in way that doesn’t get charged duties/taxes, although they do say it’s possible to still get hit and they’re not responsible, so it really is a gamble in the end.
Gasp! A trusted seller doing something to circumvent taxes! This board may just erupt now!

Old 23 June 2020, 04:34 AM   #71
WatchNutcase
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
I expect that a Rolex AD has readily available for purchase 97 out of 100 models.
Lol
Old 23 June 2020, 10:03 AM   #72
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Yes very true, I don't mind how it was 5 years ago. A little bit of scarcity makes the game fun, but when it's virtually impossible to buy any nice SS sports model it's gone way too far. I can understand such a thing with brands like Patek for example who are more meticulous and have fully decorated movements, but for mass produced Rolex it's unacceptable. They have the means to expand or just shift production velocity from less desired models into the professional line but they've decided not to.
I mean, I think you also need to see it from the various stake holders perspectives also. Not saying what you're saying is wrong, but its abit one sided and slightly blameful to Rolex.

1) Customers: Frustration and anger is felt as people are not able to get the watches they want, is not ideal.

2) ADs: Frustration as everyone just keeps asking for the same 3-4 models all day every day and they cannot sell the remaining 97% of their inventory, which is crucial to keeping the "lights on" in the shop, to pay rent, salaries whatnot.

3) Greys: Margins on Sport rolexes are very thin, they arent making "loads" of money as what some people think. They also pay either inflated prices from the "flippers" or they have to purchase a bulk load of other rolex watches from the ADs through the backdoor to get the SS Rolex in the deal.

4) Rolex: Doing well because they are maintaining Brand Equity, their watches are more desireable than ever. They are still selling many other models (its not their job to sell it). Why would you suddenly flood the market with Pepsis or daytonas? Doesnt make any business sense.

Overall, the situation is not ideal, but from a business perspective, I don't think one can "fault" rolex for "restricting" supply or being evil. I think honestly speaking, they arn;t really doing anything too different from what they were doing for years. Just making watches and shipping them out. I think its the AD behaviours that has changed radically, mostly to protect their own business from just being outlets to sell Subs and Daytonas. They need to sell other things to stay alive.

Perhaps maybe the AD model is outdated, or maybe the industry needs more SS Sport watches to match the change in times and tastes.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 10:50 AM   #73
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I mean, I think you also need to see it from the various stake holders perspectives also. Not saying what you're saying is wrong, but its abit one sided and slightly blameful to Rolex.

1) Customers: Frustration and anger is felt as people are not able to get the watches they want, is not ideal.

2) ADs: Frustration as everyone just keeps asking for the same 3-4 models all day every day and they cannot sell the remaining 97% of their inventory, which is crucial to keeping the "lights on" in the shop, to pay rent, salaries whatnot.

I think you are making some assumptions that are false. Specifically, most consumers shopping for a Rolex are looking to buy models from Rolex Classic line, which is readily available from the AD's.
AD's can and do sell "97% of their inventory", no problem.
Old 23 June 2020, 10:56 AM   #74
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
I think you are making some assumptions that are false. Specifically, most consumers shopping for a Rolex are looking to buy models from Rolex Classic line, which is readily available from the AD's.

I agree, all my ‘grail’ watches on my list are non SS.

To SS fans, we’re ‘wasting’ money on PM, reality is, when we buy one of our grails, we’re offered an SS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 10:59 AM   #75
wb55
"TRF" Member

So you're a member of a watch forum, have a watch review website & Instagram and you genuinely walked into multiple ADs asking for a Daytona at list? And said the BLRO and Sub were your fall back options? With absolutely zero spend? When your existing Rolex was bought grey anyway? And you're suprised that they laughed you out of the store?

This honestly reads like a troll.

Brb joining an online dating site looking for Angelina Jolie but if she says no I'll settle for Jessica Alba or Kate Upton as my fall back options.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:00 AM   #76
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
True, I know that Rolex does very well with the classic line, I heard its the best seller in fact.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

Old 23 June 2020, 11:04 AM   #77
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
I agree, all my ‘grail’ watches on my list are non SS.

To SS fans, we’re ‘wasting’ money on PM, reality is, when we buy one of our grails, we’re offered an SS...

Yes, when one takes a look at Rolex entire product line, including all the Classic models as well as the the precious metal professional/sport models, it becomes clear that Rolex Company, its AD's, and the consumers are doing just fine.
The 2 or 3 SS sports models popular at internet discussion forums are financially irrelevant to Rolex Company or its AD businesses.
Old 23 June 2020, 11:07 AM   #78
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, when one takes a look at Rolex entire product line, including all the Classic models as well as the the precious metal professional/sport models, it becomes clear that Rolex Company, its AD's, and the consumers are doing just fine.
The 2 or 3 SS sports models popular at internet discussion forums are financially irrelevant to Rolex Company or its AD businesses.
Correct. Thats why I think critism targetted at Rolex is just unnecessaary. Their business is doing great.

Old 23 June 2020, 11:12 AM   #79
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Some watches are best to get at grey. Example above is the submariner. Not much premium and immediately available. Another good example is the James Cameron DSSD. They sell for about MSRP + tax from grey.
Old 23 June 2020, 11:39 AM   #80
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Quote:
All I'm saying is that the only Rolex watches you want to buy happen to be the 3 models which currently have an aftermarket value higher than the AD's MSRP.
I am not saying you are a flipper, only that you like the idea of buying a new watch from an AD and walking out the door knowing the watch is worth more than you paid for it.
It's not just you. This forum has posts everyday from guys complaining about not being able to buy an SS Daytona, GMT, or Sub from an AD at MSRP. And I believe the reason for this is guys want to buy something that is worth more than they pay.
Ever since I started into the watch hobby, this has always been the Rolex enthusiast's calling card.
"Buy a Rolex and you can sell it for the same price you bought it, maybe even higher."
"You're not buying a Rolex, you're just renting it."

Let's face it, this is the core of Rolex ownership. This is what pushes people to buying: low financial risk.

"Man, $9k is a lot of money for a Sub. But it's ok, if I sell it I'll get my money back."

If Rolex doesn't have good resale value, all of the flippers and half of the Rolex WIS here would disappear overnight.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:46 AM   #81
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy404 View Post
This model is similar to how Hermes sells their handbags. If Rolex had unconstrained production of sports models, it would probably all be bought up by flippers and grey market sellers who have the purchasing power to buy up the entire inventory at a time. This also wouldn't reflect well on the brand, so I'm guessing this is one way to deter them.

As Rolex is a private company, they can do what they want. And if they think theres too many sports models out there already, they can control production as they see fit. It also benefits owners by maintaining the watches value. One of the reasons why people buy Rolexes is because they do hold value, and unconstrained production would totally destroy that.

I wouldn't say they are intentionally doing this to make it hard for people to attain them, but actually looking at the long term picture for the brand. I'm sure they could make more money if they wanted to buy increasing production.
No, I think this is the best anti-flipper measure that Rolex has ever implemented. Based on the number of "my AD rejected me" threads popping up, I'd say it's working fabulously.

Unfortunately, Rolex WIS became collateral damage. But given the popularity of the brand, I think they're ok with that.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 01:28 PM   #82
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
Ever since I started into the watch hobby, this has always been the Rolex enthusiast's calling card.
"Buy a Rolex and you can sell it for the same price you bought it, maybe even higher."

Let's face it, this is the core of Rolex ownership. This is what pushes people to buying: low financial risk.

"Man, $9k is a lot of money for a Sub. But it's ok, if I sell it I'll get my money back."

If Rolex doesn't have good resale value, all of the flippers and half of the Rolex WIS here would disappear overnight.
This.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 01:49 PM   #83
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Spot ON.

Old 23 June 2020, 04:18 PM   #84
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
So you're a member of a watch forum, have a watch review website & Instagram and you genuinely walked into multiple ADs asking for a Daytona at list? And said the BLRO and Sub were your fall back options? With absolutely zero spend? When your existing Rolex was bought grey anyway? And you're suprised that they laughed you out of the store?

Brb joining an online dating site looking for Angelina Jolie but if she says no I'll settle for Jessica Alba or Kate Upton as my fall back options.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 06:55 PM   #85
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:

TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 09:17 PM   #86
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
[QUOTE=wb55;10696467]So you're a member of a watch forum, have a watch review website & Instagram and you genuinely walked into multiple ADs asking for a Daytona at list? And said the BLRO and Sub were your fall back options? With absolutely zero spend? When your existing Rolex was bought grey anyway? And you're suprised that they laughed you out of the store?

Brb joining an online dating site looking for Angelina Jolie but if she says no I'll settle for Jessica Alba or Kate Upton as my fall back options

AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 09:42 PM   #87
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
No, I think this is the best anti-flipper measure that Rolex has ever implemented. Based on the number of "my AD rejected me" threads popping up, I'd say it's working fabulously.

Unfortunately, Rolex WIS became collateral damage. But given the popularity of the brand, I think they're ok with that.

Not quite. A lot of the hot models are going out the backdoor to the Greys

Rolex constantly advertises these models as watches everyone must have and then preaches that these models should only be acquired at an authorized AD...

Yet a new buyer walks in to an AD, finds no watches but lots of BS and games

So new buyer goes home and googles “how to get a SS Rolex” and they find out there is no shortage, all the Greys have them for MSRP + premium

Not working so fabulously I would say

Old 23 June 2020, 10:16 PM   #88
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm looking at Panerai, they are doing many more interesting things than Rolex.
Rolex SkyD is very interesting imho. The movement and dial are very impressive as we get away from decades of old-school side-case pushers to set date, etc.

Nowadays, my daily beater is a Panerai (PAM01033 while i await the 1118). Love the Panerai, plenty of great strap options too for dress up and/or true hard-core sports use too. Panerai is doing quite a bit of impressive materials development, and new movements too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 10:59 PM   #89
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:

I was with him at the beginning until he started BSing us about the Explorer I not being a good fit on his 6.5 inch wrist . Yet somehow the Daytona, BLRO and Submariner with its super case would fit him very well???
I have a feeling your AD smelled your BS as well when you told him that sorry excuse, and he labelled you as a potential flipper. your age probably does not help either, lots of young millenials have joined this hobby in the recent years, who are even willing to go in debt to acquire these watches to resell them for a profit. And not the best idea as well to ask for three of the most hyped references without any purchase history. you should have just sticked to one model as a first time buyer, you would have looked more serious as a potential long-term customer to the store.

Anyway, you are probably better off going on the grey market for now. there is a nice canadian forum if you want to purchase in canada and avoid nasty duties and sales taxes. Good luck with your future purchases OP.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 11:19 PM   #90
DG123
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, and the "hottest of the hot models" is always a direct correlation between MSRP and after market pricing. For example, SS Daytona's
sell for the largest dollar increase above MSRP, so that watch becomes the most coveted/hottest to buy for MSRP at an AD. Next highest resale percentage above MSRP is the GMT, so that model becomes "second hottest model. The Submariners sell in the aftermarket for a bit above MSRP so the Sub's become , as the OP of this thread suggested, an "acceptable third choice".
After the above three "hot models" there are no options which this type of buyer will consider,because his true goal is to walk out of the AD with a watch worth more than he paid for it. This type of buyer considers a display case full of DJ's, OP's, precious metal watches etc... to be an "empty case" and, or, that the AD shop "has nothing to sell".

Tags
authorized , dealer , list , rolex , wait