The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 February 2020, 10:45 AM   #31
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Watching Mircale now on ESPN.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 10:56 AM   #32
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Watching it right now Old enough to remember that game and the feeling when we won. The movie does a great job reminding me of that feeling

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 12:55 PM   #33
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
For years, Vladislav Tretiak, the star Russian goalie in 1980, conducted a goalie camp here in Detroit Lakes during the summer. One evening, I went out for pizza with some friends, two of whom were insane hockey fanatics. One said to me, “That guy in the booth next to us looks like Tretiak.” I said, “That IS Tretiak!” They went nuts and were able to meet and talk to him.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 12:56 AM   #34
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
For years, Vladislav Tretiak, the star Russian goalie in 1980, conducted a goalie camp here in Detroit Lakes during the summer. One evening, I went out for pizza with some friends, two of whom were insane hockey fanatics. One said to me, “That guy in the booth next to us looks like Tretiak.” I said, “That IS Tretiak!” They went nuts and were able to meet and talk to him.
Most people believe the reason the US was able to win that game was because the coach Victor Tikhonov benched Tretiak, the Russian goalie after the first period.

Tretiak was reputed to be the best goalie in the world at the time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/22/s...le-on-ice.html

At the time Russian players were starting to fight back against their lot in life, and Tikhonov was a tyrant.

The Czechoslovakian player Václav Nedomanský was the first Soviet Bloc player to defect to the NHL in 1974 and the Soviets clamped down on their players after that, and since they played a lot of European Tournaments they basically treated their players as prisoners when traveling. The first Russian to defect in 1989 was Alex Mogilny.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2020, 01:08 AM   #35
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

If you're a hockey fan, many people believe the best hockey game ever played was the game between the Montreal Canadians and the Soviet Red Army team on New Years Eve of 1975. (Tretiak played)

The game ended in a 3-3 tie.

Montreal had only lost 11 games that year and were an absolute power house and went on to win the Stanley Cup again that year.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote