The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2020, 07:18 AM   #1
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

AD Scratched Daytona Update

Hi everyone,

First off, no disrespect to Padi (since that thread was closed), and I hope this post finds him well as well as the rest of you.

As many of you are aware, I created a thread that went somewhat viral, regarding my dealer scratching my watch when sizing.

I want to simply fill you all with an update, as I know many of you were curious and following the end results. Here's what happened:

I've spoken to both the SA and the tech. This likely happened in the hands of the SA. The tech apologized, and I spoke with my SA, and both of them proposed that I come and polish it and that they can simply lightly buff it out. I respectfully declined, but I thanked them genuinely for their offer.

I told my SA not to worry, to just be careful, Im actually proud because I was reassuring her that it's not a big deal, and told her I have love for her and she's always a pleasure to deal with. Basically told her not to give it another thought at all and not to worry. I found myself reassuring her that it's okay, because you know what, it is. The thing is on the clasp, it's not on the case, and it could barely even be seen as a light hairline scratch.

This is coming from someone who is admittedly very hypersensitive. I put 3M on my watches for God's sakes!

But with that said, it's definitely a lesson learned and I definitely think that it helps you all - keep the plastics on the watches when sizing, and then ask your ADs to take them off subsequently.

Just the last element or background for thought: the Hulk, Pepsi, and white panda Daytona (or semi panda ;)) were all purchased within a matter of about a year, with absolutely no other purchases and no other history, and without being too specific, I live in one of the most affluent, wealthy, and saturated areas in the WORLD, where VIPs easily will spend a million or two a year. And I'm not one of those VIPs and they have treated me with nothing but respect and kindness.

Thank you everyone for your comments, no matter what they were. And I'm very happy I'm part of this community.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
JacksonRain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:21 AM   #2
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
AD Scratched Daytona Update

Proud of you OP and great photo! Enjoy that watch however you want. With or without stickers and all
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:26 AM   #3
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I do not know about a lesson learned here. Since you had stated you did not expect a new clasp and would not let the store polish the clasp on the watch, what was the point of bringing it up to the store? Seems to me more people were needlessly upset over this where they could do nothing to assist you given your parameters.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #4
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Applaud you on your handling of this matter. Wear the watch proudly and enjoy. Don't let the little things in life bother you
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:31 AM   #5
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I do not know about a lesson learned here. Since you had stated you did not expect a new clasp and would not let the store polish the clasp on the watch, what was the point of bringing it up to the store? Seems to me more people were needlessly upset over this where they could do nothing to assist you given your parameters.
Thanks Bob. To let them know, so they could be more careful the next time around. And it meant something to me, that's why.
Old 19 February 2020, 07:33 AM   #6
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
Good for you I'm always fascinated by all the people on this forum that have panic attacks over small scratches on their timepieces. It's meant to be worn accidents will happen due to your fault and others. Life is to short to worry about it just wear it and get your moneys worth. Hell my staffordshire bull terrier just gave me her paw as a shake for a treat and scratched my 5711 bezel a bit. Life will go own I'm not worried.
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:38 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Thanks Bob. To let them know, so they could be more careful the next time around. And it meant something to me, that's why.
Enjoy your new watch and wear it proudly. It is stunning.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:40 AM   #8
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Glad it’s all sorted. Enjoy that beautiful watch.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:44 AM   #9
dimag333
"TRF" Member

I juse went through all your posts trying to figure out where you live

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:55 AM   #10
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimag333 View Post
I juse went through all your posts trying to figure out where you live

steve
NY. We are neighbors.
Old 19 February 2020, 07:56 AM   #11
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Wait a minute......the scratch obviously bothered you or else you would not have started a thread. Now you go back to the AD, you tell them and show them you scratched the watch and you let them off the hook. They offered a polishing/buffing which you declined, but that was not an acceptable option to begin with. Why not have them replace the clasp with a new one, at their cost, and then you have a brand new and unscratched watch? If this was an inexpensive item, then OK, but the last time I looked at the price of a Daytona, they are expensive.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 07:58 AM   #12
2024 Pledge Member

May the bridges you burn light your way.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:01 AM   #13
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Wait a minute......the scratch obviously bothered you or else you would not have started a thread. Now you go back to the AD, you tell them and show them you scratched the watch and you let them off the hook. They offered a polishing/buffing which you declined, but that was not an acceptable option to begin with. Why not have them replace the clasp with a new one, at their cost, and then you have a brand new and unscratched watch? I am just confused.
Because I would hate the customer who would refuse the offer to polish, and who would make such a demand for a replacement. I would like to think that customer USED TO BE me. So I'm trying to make a change within myself. I don't want to tarnish my relationship with good people who made an honest mistake. Does that makes sense?
Old 19 February 2020, 08:01 AM   #14
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I hope that bringing it up and forcing them to apologize doesn't leave a bad taste in their mouth.
Either way, I'm glad you're happy with the result.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:04 AM   #15
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Because I would hate the customer who would refuse the offer to polish, and who would make such a demand for a replacement. I would like to think that customer USED TO BE me. So I'm trying to make a change within myself. I don't want to tarnish my relationship with good people who made an honest mistake. Does that makes sense?
Why would they hate you to correct a problem which they caused?

Never said they were not good people, but good people make mistakes, and this is a costly mistake.

You created the original post, I think you will always be looking at that scratch on the clasp, which is not a minor scratch, and be upset.
Old 19 February 2020, 08:08 AM   #16
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is what I would consider an honest reply. Good on you. Wear and enjoy!
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:08 AM   #17
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Why would they hate you to correct a problem which they caused?

Never said they were not good people, but good people make mistakes, and this is a costly mistake.

You created the original post, I think you will always be looking at that scratch on the clasp, which is not a minor scratch, and be upset.
Sir, you have a poster just above you who suggested that I shouldnt have even called and "I made them apologize" and that may have "left a bad taste in their mouths."
Old 19 February 2020, 08:14 AM   #18
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sir, you have a poster just above you who suggested that I shouldnt have even called and "I made them apologize" and that may have "left a bad taste in their mouths."
The poster above me is 100% correct, if you did not want the AD to remedy the scratch, but in fact you did go in and point it out to the SA. I suppose you went in for a reason. If you are going in, and pointing it out, and thinking they will learn from this and never do it again, well, you are free to think so. The fact is the SA should never have sized your watch, it was a job for the watchmaker on premise. It is a very expensive watch, however, it is your money, and if you feel that all is OK, then all is OK.
Old 19 February 2020, 08:17 AM   #19
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
OP, I think you brought it up with them on the chance that they would offer you a replacement clasp, but as they only offered to buff the scratches out you left it at that. I think it’s very mature of you to move on from it and there be the lesson learned to which you mentioned.
Old 19 February 2020, 08:21 AM   #20
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
Ibtl
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:29 AM   #21
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Great pic! Glad you took the high road, live and learn, you're a class act!! Time to put the negativity to bed and enjoy your gorgeous watch!!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:33 AM   #22
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
OP - it shows quite a maturity on your part, realizing this is just a watch and that you should get over it. Good job
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:39 AM   #23
rodo
"TRF" Member

Very well handled, especially the fact you are grateful that they offered you hard to get watches - well done
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 08:57 AM   #24
seasubmariner
Banned

Quote:
Hi everyone,

First off, no disrespect to Padi (since that thread was closed), and I hope this post finds him well as well as the rest of you.

As many of you are aware, I created a thread that went somewhat viral, regarding my dealer scratching my watch when sizing.

I want to simply fill you all with an update, as I know many of you were curious and following the end results. Here's what happened:

I've spoken to both the SA and the tech. This likely happened in the hands of the SA. The tech apologized, and I spoke with my SA, and both of them proposed that I come and polish it and that they can simply lightly buff it out. I respectfully declined, but I thanked them genuinely for their offer.

I told my SA not to worry, to just be careful, Im actually proud because I was reassuring her that it's not a big deal, and told her I have love for her and she's always a pleasure to deal with. Basically told her not to give it another thought at all and not to worry. I found myself reassuring her that it's okay, because you know what, it is. The thing is on the clasp, it's not on the case, and it could barely even be seen as a light hairline scratch.

This is coming from someone who is admittedly very hypersensitive. I put 3M on my watches for God's sakes!

But with that said, it's definitely a lesson learned and I definitely think that it helps you all - keep the plastics on the watches when sizing, and then ask your ADs to take them off subsequently.

Just the last element or background for thought: the Hulk, Pepsi, and white panda Daytona (or semi panda ;)) were all purchased within a matter of about a year, with absolutely no other purchases and no other history, and without being too specific, I live in one of the most affluent, wealthy, and saturated areas in the WORLD, where VIPs easily will spend a million or two a year. And I'm not one of those VIPs and they have treated me with nothing but respect and kindness.

Thank you everyone for your comments, no matter what they were. And I'm very happy I'm part of this community.
Very beautiful Daytona!!!

I can understand you very well mate...We are not same as nobody are same, but although I dont know you I feel that you overthink about things and stress often over small things as you are sensitive (which you already admitted at your message). I like it though.

The scratch was small but it made you feel exhausted which I can tell from the length of the previous thread.

All I can say is that nothing is worth to worry. Enjoy your watches.

For the scratch watch this video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woH-px64FjM
seasubmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:01 AM   #25
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasubmariner View Post
Very beautiful Daytona!!!

I can understand you very well mate...We are not same as nobody are same, but although I dont know you I feel that you overthink about things and stress often over small things as you are sensitive (which you already admitted at your message). I like it though.

The scratch was small but it made you feel exhausted which I can tell from the length of the previous thread.

All I can say is that nothing is worth to worry. Enjoy your watches.

For the scratch watch this video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woH-px64FjM
How can I unsee that video ?! That was painful to watch. No pun intended.
Old 19 February 2020, 09:12 AM   #26
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
where VIPs easily will spend a million or two a year.
What do people even spend 1-2 million USD on?! Like actual jewelry? I can figure out a few 100k but come on lol.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:14 AM   #27
Abmatt2002
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
What do people even spend 1-2 million USD on?! Like actual jewelry? I can figure out a few 100k but come on lol.
DJ’s etc in the hope of getting a SS Daytona!
Abmatt2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:22 AM   #28
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Nice post OP. Wear that beautiful Daytona with reckless abandon and Enjoy
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:35 AM   #29
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

OP, I hope you are still able to enjoy this watch.
e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2020, 09:49 AM   #30
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Quote:
NY. We are neighbors.
I figured that as I would have described the area the same way regarding population!

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote