The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 25 January 2020, 07:56 AM   #1
Alexx84
"TRF" Member

PAM1351 way to go?

Hi to all. I am looking to buy my first PAM and I fell in love with PAM 1351. I also looked PAM 1312 with black dial, and even considering that one, because on black dial I can use more diverse straps. The main concern about 1351 is Titanium case... Does it shows any kind of patina over the years? I plan on keeping it for a long time :) Any one maybe with PAM351 to share his thoughts?

Regards

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Alexx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 06:19 PM   #2
ASW1
"TRF" Member

I've a bunch of titanium Panerai and have no issues with marking/patina etc. Also because it's more subtle than steel any marks are less obvious in any case.

I would definitely go titanium over steel, which is a personal choice. I prefer the colour, the weight and the 'feel' of the metal.

Yes, steel with black will be easier with more colours, but titanium/tobacco has more character IMO.

Here are a couple of my titanium PAMs 368 & 670.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:21 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I personally find titanium to be a bit too muted with a black dial, but with tobacco and gold hands, it’s really stunning. That being said, I probably would go for the 351 over 1351, as I think the blue hand on the 1351 looks out of place.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2020, 07:31 PM   #4
Alexx84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I personally find titanium to be a bit too muted with a black dial, but with tobacco and gold hands, it’s really stunning. That being said, I probably would go for the 351 over 1351, as I think the blue hand on the 1351 looks out of place.
I think for sure it will be 1351. As for the blue dial, I find it nice touch, a little detail to bump up the watch. Tastes are different For sure it is better looking on black dial. Also I inspected 1351 in AD very closely and when put side by side with 1312 it is hard to see color difference in the dial. It depends of the light and angle.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Alexx84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 06:09 AM   #5
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 16800
PAM1351 way to go?

I’ve had a 351 since 2017 and love it. It’s tolerated normal wear and tear very well. I agree that matte titanium hides dings and scratches better than polished stainless.

There’s also something about matte titanium that is less tangible, unique to the material. I think the surface oxidation, which is probably just a few microns thick, has a sort of brown tint to it. It just looks awesome on leather, and the brown rubber it came with. I would also go with the 351 over 1351. Not because of the blue hand, but because of the word “Automatic” beneath “Panerai,” which I think is unnecessary and clutters the dial.

Old pic:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 11:40 AM   #6
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Titanium brushed case, polished bezel, tobacco brown dial, gold hands is classic color combo for Panerai.... just awesome

You can use a special pencil that helps you hide light scratches on brushed titanium

351 is a classic automatic panerai with 3 numerals and seconds and date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote