The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 9 March 2019, 10:55 PM   #1
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Newbie first time owning a Mont Blanc BP

From time to time I like to browse through the pen forum and read about the enthusiastic stories of using a fountain pen.
That sparked my interest.

In the airport had some time to kill and went inside a Mont Blanc shop where I bought on impulse a MB Meisterstuck Solitaire Geometric dimension ball point.

I usually overtight things so it had to be a steel one, the resin type I fear is not going to last before it will crack.
Chose this one because of it's color, a nice champagne tone.

pen.jpg

For now I ignored the use of a fountain pen. I like tools to be ready anytime without drying out and clogging up nibs. The latter from what I have read on the web may be very troublesome. Total newbie on pens so I don't know.

Writing with this BP depends on the quality of the filling obviously. Installed a broad tip refill.
The pen is nicely made but apart from the heft the writing does not feel much better than from a one dollar pen.
That is a bit disappointing really.

Maybe I should have gone for the rollerball instead ?

Thanks for having me around
Old 9 March 2019, 11:05 PM   #2
JPersat
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing everybody
Congrats! That is one beautiful pen. And I find the pen pouches come in very handy. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JPersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2019, 11:40 PM   #3
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Wait until you get to write with a real pen.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Burlington
"TRF" Member

My first decent pen was a rollerball from Caran d’Ache.

It’s heavy, robust and is amazing to write with. The same as a ballpoint though, it’s really just the 5 buck refill doing the writing, the rest is the dressing around it. Of course hand feel and balance etc. all play a huge role. Not to mention overall aesthetics.

I recently added a Platinum Izumo fountain pen which has almost completely displaced the C-d’A, which has become my travel pen or when I need a second colour in my notebook/ signing documents in black ink. The rollerball cartridge is also wetter to write with quickly, helping a fast signature.

The Izumo is made of ebonite not metal, so it’s much lighter, but the material feel in the hand is really quite exquisite. The abundance of ink options too is a whole nother future journey as well to enjoy.

When I add my next pen, it will be a another fountain pen.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 09:02 PM   #5
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
My first decent pen was a rollerball from Caran d’Ache.

It’s heavy, robust and is amazing to write with. The same as a ballpoint though, it’s really just the 5 buck refill doing the writing, the rest is the dressing around it. Of course hand feel and balance etc. all play a huge role. Not to mention overall aesthetics.
I recently added a Platinum Izumo fountain pen which has almost completely displaced the C-d’A, which has become my travel pen or when I need a second colour in my notebook/ signing documents in black ink. The rollerball cartridge is also wetter to write with quickly, helping a fast signature.

The Izumo is made of ebonite not metal, so it’s much lighter, but the material feel in the hand is really quite exquisite. The abundance of ink options too is a whole nother future journey as well to enjoy.

When I add my next pen, it will be a another fountain pen.
That looks beautiful, nice combo with your AP as well.

I don't write a lot, perhaps a few lines per day or none at all for longer periods.
How long roughly can a FP stay unused before the ink dries out and it becomes clogged ? I am trying to determine if a FP would suit my needs, thanks
Old 10 March 2019, 09:27 PM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That looks beautiful, nice combo with your AP as well.

I don't write a lot, perhaps a few lines per day or none at all for longer periods.

How long roughly can a FP stay unused before the ink dries out and it becomes clogged ? I am trying to determine if a FP would suit my needs, thanks

Certainly I’ve left mine for a week without any noticeable affects when I’ve been away.

The other guys here on the subforum will know what is ok though or not as I am very much in the discovery phase still with FPs.

I was surprised just how different the writing experience and finished words on paper are to rollerball, which again is very different to ballpoint.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2019, 11:04 PM   #7
jar
"TRF" Member

There are as many answers to your questions when it comes to fountain pens as if you asked similar questions about watches.

The pens from the top tier companies like the watches from the top tier makers are meant to be used and not simply pretty jewelry. And just as in watches, there are some really expensive fountain pens that exist on advertising and marketing rather than the actual product.

So I happen to have a filled fountain pen that has been sitting unused for at least two and maybe three weeks. I picked it up, uncapped it and it wrote without hesitation.

Honestly, I would expect the same from any of my fountain pens; even the Montblancs.

But for an assured pleasant first experience I would have a few suggestions. Along the line of somewhat understated elegance combined with exceptional functionality I'd recommend one of the following as an introductory fountain pen.
  • Sailor 1911 L
  • Platinum #3776 or President
  • Pelikan M 600
  • Pilot Custom 743 or 742 (743 slightly larger and larger nib)

Of those, all but the Pelikan M 600 are cartridge/converter pens. The M 600 is piston filled from a bottle of ink only.

From left to right:Pilot 742, 74; Sailor 1911L, 1911S then the flat top equivalent pens.

From left to right: Platinum President, Izumo; Montblanc 149.

Platinum #3776 Chartres Blue.

The Blue one and Black one in the center are both Pelikan M 600s, the Blue the new style and the Black one the original style.
Old 10 March 2019, 11:06 PM   #8
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. A great pen from a great brand.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 05:39 AM   #9
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
There are as many answers to your questions when it comes to fountain pens as if you asked similar questions about watches.

The pens from the top tier companies like the watches from the top tier makers are meant to be used and not simply pretty jewelry. And just as in watches, there are some really expensive fountain pens that exist on advertising and marketing rather than the actual product.

So I happen to have a filled fountain pen that has been sitting unused for at least two and maybe three weeks. I picked it up, uncapped it and it wrote without hesitation.

Honestly, I would expect the same from any of my fountain pens; even the Montblancs.

But for an assured pleasant first experience I would have a few suggestions. Along the line of somewhat understated elegance combined with exceptional functionality I'd recommend one of the following as an introductory fountain pen.
  • Sailor 1911 L
  • Platinum #3776 or President
  • Pelikan M 600
  • Pilot Custom 743 or 742 (743 slightly larger and larger nib)
Thank you very much Jim, I am going to look into the recommended list.
You certainly have a beautiful collection
Old 11 March 2019, 04:45 PM   #10
dqsuyen
"TRF" Member

Hi Joli160,

Beautiful impulse buy! Should try a rollerball. In my opinion, the waterbased ink provides for smoother writing. Also feel the weight of the pen allows for less pressure needed by the writer which lends to the comfort of the pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dqsuyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:43 PM   #11
fancrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5960, 228206
That Izumo pen pic is amazing ! How is the nib?
fancrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 10:52 PM   #12
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancrown View Post
That Izumo pen pic is amazing ! How is the nib?
The Izumo nibs are based on the Platinum President nib but tuned by one of the true masters. They are fairly stiff with no real flex but smooth as oil on butter.

Two examples of Akatamenuri; Nakaya on top, Izumo on bottom. Both nibs are based on the Platinum President:
Old 2 May 2019, 10:21 AM   #13
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
From time to time I like to browse through the pen forum and read about the enthusiastic stories of using a fountain pen.
That sparked my interest.

In the airport had some time to kill and went inside a Mont Blanc shop where I bought on impulse a MB Meisterstuck Solitaire Geometric dimension ball point.

I usually overtight things so it had to be a steel one, the resin type I fear is not going to last before it will crack.
Chose this one because of it's color, a nice champagne tone.

Attachment 1025606

For now I ignored the use of a fountain pen. I like tools to be ready anytime without drying out and clogging up nibs. The latter from what I have read on the web may be very troublesome. Total newbie on pens so I don't know.

Writing with this BP depends on the quality of the filling obviously. Installed a broad tip refill.
The pen is nicely made but apart from the heft the writing does not feel much better than from a one dollar pen.
That is a bit disappointing really.

Maybe I should have gone for the rollerball instead ?

Thanks for having me around
Beautiful! Enjoy it!!!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote