The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 13 April 2010, 02:58 AM   #1
hockeyguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona white/DSSD
Review: Huge misconceptions about Deepsea

I just bought a Deepsea from an Ad, and I wanted to clear up what I think are some major misconceptions people have about the DS. By the way, it is these misconceptions that has prompted me to post my first ever message to this forum! (which I joined recently)

First, you really have to see the DS in person and try it on before passing judgement. The Original Gas Escape Valve and Ring Lock System wording around the inside of the bezel is virtually invisible in real life! It is nowhere near as bold as it looks on pictures/magazines where the dial is blown up 20 times (like the cover of the April 09 Watchtime). In fact, I can't even see the wording when I look at the dial to check time. And there is NO way a person even sitting next to you and looking down at your watch would even see the writing- I have asked people and they have to bend down so that their nose is close to the dial to even make out the fact that there IS wording. And even when you hold the watch right up to your face (which you dont normally do anyway) the writing is subtle and not nearly as bold as even the white Rolex wording at the top of the dial.

Second, the size is nowhere near as "huge" or "monstrous" as people on this forum make it out to be. I wear suits everyday (investment banker) and the Deepsea fits EASILY under my cuffs- I wear standard Boss shirts. For reference, I am about 6ft tall, maybe 195 lbs, relatively slim, and wrist size is maybe 6 3/4". This watch is actually smaller that the ubiquitous Breitling Chronomats, and of course much smaller than the Avenger series as well, and smaller than the Planet Ocean line as well. It wears relatively small. Even the depth does not actually stand out at all when on the wrist, even showing outside the cuff. I also have a Submariner, and this DS compares very favourably in all aspects. It is just as comfortable, but has a much nicer wrist presence without screaming for attention.

The glidelock is amazing- it can let the watch rest snugly against your wrist, where it takes almost all of the weight away, or when your wrist swells slightly, you can keep loosening it in tiny increments until it feels great agan. I honestly cant imaging wearing the Sub again after this experience. I asked a few friends to look at both the DS and Sub on my wrist from a few feet away, and the consensus was that the DS looked much better and seemed to be a better size than the Sub, which looked very small in comparison.

In any event, this is just my view, but the pictures and negative comments on this forum on the DS kept me from buying it for months, but as soon as I tried it on I realized that the reality far, far different in a positive way
hockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 07:22 AM   #2
munichblue
"TRF" Member

All that can be said! Thank you mate....
munichblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 11:22 AM   #3
mpkRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO Jubilee
Well said buddy! If you enjoy it that is all matters. Enjoy! and welcome to the forum
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2010, 12:13 PM   #4
WatchnRoll
"TRF" Member

I agree! The DS is a sleeper on this forum...many envy it's features but put it down for size or the dial...

I think it's a fantastic watch!

Enjoy it
Old 13 April 2010, 12:14 PM   #5
diversified
"TRF" Member

I can't believe I still haven't see one yet!
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2010, 03:27 AM   #6
st8edge
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4K
Thanks for your comments. So much is said that it needs to be remembered that everyone has an opinon and it is best to see in person and decide for one self.
The DSSD is on my very short list of the next watch I buy and I appreciate your comments.
st8edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2010, 06:08 AM   #7
motoface

agree - need to see in person and try on. impressive piece.
motoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 10:03 AM   #8
blackbelt chef
"TRF" Member

Deepsea

I agree with your opinion of the Deepsea. I have owned one for 9 months and never looked back. At first it felt a little heavy compared to my Sub but got used to it quickly. This watch has no comparison at this time.
blackbelt chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2010, 04:03 PM   #9
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
My initial impression from the reviews and pics was the writing on the ring was like a billboard. However, I had to see one in person to see this incredible technological achievement. Fist impression was the writing is no big deal. Yes, I absolutely agree the impression we get from the blow-ups is quite different than reality. The next thing I noticed was that the watch laid quite comfortably on the wrist. Asked on TRF about opinion from DSSD owners on long term wear, and it was quite positive. My impressions were great size, classic look, ceramic bezel, maxi-dial, blue lume (how cool is that) and an incredible clasp without the downsides… no cyclops, no polished center links.

Pulled the trigger on Friday, and should have next week.

George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2010, 05:33 PM   #10
tommyg76
"TRF" Member

Got mine last week (from a fellow TRF member) and must say I am delighted! This will be an occasional watch for me, with my LV being my daily wearer, but it is everything I wanted...I agree with your summary above.

Enjoy it!
tommyg76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Rolexsd4000
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Mk1 , TT SD43
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
I just bought a Deepsea from an Ad, and I wanted to clear up what I think are some major misconceptions people have about the DS. By the way, it is these misconceptions that has prompted me to post my first ever message to this forum! (which I joined recently)

First, you really have to see the DS in person and try it on before passing judgement. The Original Gas Escape Valve and Ring Lock System wording around the inside of the bezel is virtually invisible in real life! It is nowhere near as bold as it looks on pictures/magazines where the dial is blown up 20 times (like the cover of the April 09 Watchtime). In fact, I can't even see the wording when I look at the dial to check time. And there is NO way a person even sitting next to you and looking down at your watch would even see the writing- I have asked people and they have to bend down so that their nose is close to the dial to even make out the fact that there IS wording. And even when you hold the watch right up to your face (which you dont normally do anyway) the writing is subtle and not nearly as bold as even the white Rolex wording at the top of the dial.

Second, the size is nowhere near as "huge" or "monstrous" as people on this forum make it out to be. I wear suits everyday (investment banker) and the Deepsea fits EASILY under my cuffs- I wear standard Boss shirts. For reference, I am about 6ft tall, maybe 195 lbs, relatively slim, and wrist size is maybe 6 3/4". This watch is actually smaller that the ubiquitous Breitling Chronomats, and of course much smaller than the Avenger series as well, and smaller than the Planet Ocean line as well. It wears relatively small. Even the depth does not actually stand out at all when on the wrist, even showing outside the cuff. I also have a Submariner, and this DS compares very favourably in all aspects. It is just as comfortable, but has a much nicer wrist presence without screaming for attention.

The glidelock is amazing- it can let the watch rest snugly against your wrist, where it takes almost all of the weight away, or when your wrist swells slightly, you can keep loosening it in tiny increments until it feels great agan. I honestly cant imaging wearing the Sub again after this experience. I asked a few friends to look at both the DS and Sub on my wrist from a few feet away, and the consensus was that the DS looked much better and seemed to be a better size than the Sub, which looked very small in comparison.

In any event, this is just my view, but the pictures and negative comments on this forum on the DS kept me from buying it for months, but as soon as I tried it on I realized that the reality far, far different in a positive way
You are right on the money..Great write up.
Mike
Rolexsd4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2010, 03:37 AM   #12
Alexus
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD/PAM74/ExII/SRSD
Thanks for this. I'm more into "Vintage" but hey, at least learned something in case somebody asks...

Well written!
Old 20 July 2012, 11:36 PM   #13
ro1ex
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,DD,DJ,GMT,AP
I have had my Deepsea for about a month now, and all I can say is I agree 110% on what the OP has said about the DS. Im also a slim guy, and it does not look out of place on my wrist etc.
ro1ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2012, 02:50 AM   #14
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
I wouldnt have know this if i didnt read this post, very intersting especialy when you mentioned that you have 6.75 wrist. Thanx for sharing and we are looking forward to seeing some pictures ;)
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2012, 03:01 AM   #15
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
A very well constructed review of the watch. Thanks for articulating those points so clearly

The Dssd is so well designed ensuring great comfort and looks. It's easily a preference over the sub when I rotate.

The main thing is that you have it fitted before making a final decision. It really does need to be sized otherwise the impression is not accurate.

In the hand it feels unbalanced and this extends onto your wrist unless the bracelet is properly adjusted IMO.

Unfortunately it's not easy to try one on properly sized.

When this is done then I feel the Dssd and it's extraordinary aesthetic can be fully appreciated.

Again....great points....well made.
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2012, 06:24 AM   #16
Memphis
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
i'm late to the game, but i agree with hockeyguy. i had a ball deepquest and the thing was so uncomfortable precisely because it was either too tight or too lose. with the glidelock i got my dssd perfectly size and the weight disappears.

one thing that i did was remove the divers extension and connect the bracelet directly to the moving thingy... it removes the weird effect where the clasp could pop open when the back was propped by anything.

i followed this post, makes a big difference.

http://rolexdeep-seadwellerglidelock...-bracelet.html
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2012, 06:38 AM   #17
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Thanks for the write up. I always thought that the writing was also like a huge billboard.
Old 15 August 2012, 12:08 PM   #18
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I've tried one on a few times and it is remarkably comfortable for a watch with those specs and as you say the wording on the ring-lock system is hardly visible at all in real life circumstances.

It is however very thick and there's no way around that, but if you can get it under your cuff, you're good to go!

Congratulations!

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2012, 05:43 AM   #19
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Okay looks and feel is one thing, but for me, my watch never comes off. Has anybody gone on a run with this thing. How about lap swimming, is the weight noticeable after 20 minutes in the pool.
My 42mm PO gets heavy three miles into a run especially on hot days, on the flip side I don't feel a thing in the pool.
Not talking about size, but weight. It isn't a big watch really, but it does hit the scale with the biggins. For normal everyday suit stuff, I get it, but how about for the exercise duty.

Yes I have a suunto T6 HR monitor, but I don't want to be forced to take two watches when I travel or work abroad.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2012, 11:09 AM   #20
hockeyguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona white/DSSD
Hey thanks for all the comments! Two years later, I have now have a Daytona, a 116610lv and a GMT II C and the DSSD is still my favourite! I have never found it too heavy or big and I wear it all the time with full business suits. But I didn't notice how well it looked with a suit until I saw it on a business colleague in a meeting- he is not a big guy but it looked perfect
hockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2012, 07:49 AM   #21
FrogmanFreak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breitling Emergenc
How about posting the DSSD and a Sub / SD on the same wrist just for comparison sake?
FrogmanFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2012, 08:43 PM   #22
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
I a DSSD owner now for 2 years, could not agree more. This watch is the best fitting watch I own. If I were to have only one watch it would be my DSSD.
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2012, 09:39 PM   #23
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanFreak View Post
How about posting the DSSD and a Sub / SD on the same wrist just for comparison sake?
i would like to see that as well.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 02:37 AM   #24
FLHP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega
I really love this one too, I really think it's my next purchase.
FLHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 03:01 AM   #25
43builder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116528 YG Daytona
Love this watch - this is my favorite rolex! Purchased mine 14 months ago and haven't looked back!
Omega Vintage 1970's 617 Movement
43builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 03:09 AM   #26
aquanaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Yep, had mine for over 2 years and its never off my wrist!. Great write up!
2020 Rolex SD43 Sea-Dweller
2022 Rolex Datejust 41 - Blue Dial, Fluted, Oyster
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 04:23 AM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Great write up. I would only add that the key for me was getting the watch sized right. Thanks.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 04:42 AM   #28
HRV
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
Love mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2012, 05:41 AM   #29
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Seen it, tried it, didn't like it. Too big
Old 26 November 2012, 05:44 PM   #30
34SF
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15570
I had one for about 6 months. I couldn't get my shirt sleeve to fall over it and after a long day the upper right lug would dig into my sissy bone on my wrist. It's a beautiful watch and superb craftsmanship is evident at every angle but...just wasn't for me. I'm 6'1" 230 and supposedly should have been able to carry this off. It's too bad because the bracelet is first rate.
34SF is offline   Reply With Quote