The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2018, 10:00 PM   #91
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
I've never been in a separate checks situation ever. If I know my wife and I have had more than other folks, I'll always offer extra to offset the amount our dining companions might be subsidizing with their portion of the split. Can't remember much of any times when my offer was accepted, unless I truly insisted (e.g. I/we ordered alcohol and the other folks didn't).

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 10:09 PM   #92
MARTIN1264
"TRF" Member

Average it out over the Couples or one of us just pays the whole thing....
MARTIN1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 11:06 PM   #93
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
We usually always go out with the same people so we have gotten used to splitting equal ways. Sometimes we drink, sometimes we don't but eventually it balances out.

We recently went out with a new couple of friends and before we even got to ordering they asked the waiter to set up different checks. I actually found this to be extremely offensive so I let them order whatever budget friendly option they wanted and pulled the ultimate DB move and went all out. (BTW, I wanted to pay for all of us as I knew they went out of their way to have this dinner around our schedule)

Yeah, stare at my expensive bottle of Merlot that you're not getting a single drop off.

Perhaps I thought about it too much but come on, if you want to have separate checks, at least have the conversation briefly.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2018, 11:36 PM   #94
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

If I invite someone out, I'll always get the check. Why the uproar over seperate checks, especially when couples go out??? Seems like the most fair way to me. The waiter should be happy when I request that since I will always tip 20-25%. The guys from my Lodge go to lunch every Friday, sometimes up to 12 people. How in the world would the waiter expect us to divide up the bill when some pay in cash, and some with a CC??? Some of the older guys think this is still 1940 and are terrible tippers. If I have out of town guests, or if I'm visiting someone I will always grab the check.

Last edited by Widows Son; 25 May 2018 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: spelling
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2018, 11:41 PM   #95
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN1264 View Post
Average it out over the Couples or one of us just pays the whole thing....
How would it ever average out when some couples drink like fishes and some don't??? Or if someone has very expensive tastes and others don't??? If you frequently go out with the same people, seperate checks make the most sense, IMHO.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 12:33 AM   #96
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I usually just split it in half but I have been in this exact scenario only my wife and I were drinking and our friends were teetotaling so I gave them an extra $40 cash which more than covered our drinks.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2018, 01:09 AM   #97
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

99% of the time when we're with another couple or two we just do an equal split. If there is a vastly different cocktail/wine delta I usually offer to pay more or offer to leave the entire tip.

Asking for separate checks is one thing, but I have a personal rule to not go out to eat with people who start adding up what they consumed once the check is dropped.
Old 26 May 2018, 10:49 AM   #98
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
We normally take turns and luckily the other party ended up with the larger bills. Lol!
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote