The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 July 2019, 06:00 PM   #31
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
I have tried desperately to source the Summer Edition from AP but they have sold out Worldwide. Its 44mm btw unless you are talking about a different watch?

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.A010CA.01/
That is one good looking watch!
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 07:16 PM   #32
marselluswallace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Do u remember how Frank mueller collapsed?
I bought a diamond encrusted Conquistador Cortez brand new in around 2007/2008 and sold it around 3 years ago for a small fraction of what I paid for it.When I bought it I thought it was the dogs danglies but I think the FM brand just went out of fashion,big time.

I did like RM for a while-I respect the workmanship that goes into one but my interest was waned now and for me I don’t think they hold the timeless appeal of Rolex/PP
marselluswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 07:29 PM   #33
SearChart
TechXpert

Love them, have tried them on and even regulated one. But way way way out of my league.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 08:03 PM   #34
Codik
"TRF" Member

I like the fact that they are true sports watches, and luxury watches at that. Basically the rich guy’s g-shock.

I’m still not quite sold on the look - they are so in the trend that they will inevitably look dated in 10 years time. That’s not something my budget can withstand, but maybe on day I will win the lottery.
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 08:40 PM   #35
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
That is one good looking watch!
Yep it is. Saw Chris (another TRF member) wearing one at a recent AP dinner event and I totally loved it. Superb A++
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 08:43 PM   #36
ragsk
Banned

Have no desire for RM. They don't do it for me at all. Handled a number of them at the Audemars Piguet factory including some very special pieces (one or two of which were not even made public yet) and I still was pretty underwhelmed.

Not my cup of tea but we are all different. So to all you RM loving TRF members out there good luck in getting whatever your heart desires!
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 09:03 PM   #37
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I like them. But not sure I love them to pony up the money for one. I think the brand is unique and interesting. But then I also think, will they stand the test of time? Maybe. But at the end of the day I like the simplicity and classical look of PP over most any RM.
Old 4 July 2019, 09:21 PM   #38
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
I thought that I was a bit of a PP snob. Mostly vintage in my collection. Recently purchased a 5167 and LOVE it. The Aqua got all the wrist time, and the vintage PP was starting to get dusty in the safe.

My problem was I had what equated to at least one RM sitting in the safe not getting any wrist time. So I move a few PP and purchased my first RM016.

Now my problem is the 5167 is jealous that it doesn't get the wrist time it used to.

LOVE the RM016. I will add that I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to the skeleton movement.

OH, BTW I also own a couple of great FM. I doubt they will leave my collection as no one does complications like FM (crazy hours and secret hours)
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 11:07 PM   #39
tng11
"TRF" Member

I think RM makes some interesting pieces. I think that they are a large part marketing and hype, but some of them are horologically very interesting. The entry level pieces are very blah though.

I personally like the RM 35-02 a lot. I would never pay the market price for that watch, let alone MSRP. It would be a fun watch at say 30K, but not 200K. It's a league that is way above me, and I'm content with letting the big boys play in that league. For 200K I'd much rather have a 5970P, 5270P or 5370P.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 11:17 PM   #40
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Golf View Post
My collecting journey has brought me to RM, and I must say I really aporiciate them. They aren’t for everyone, but what brand is? I have over 30 watches currently and 3 RM. of all those watches the RM get worn the most. Keep in mind it’s summer and a sporty look is in. I have 5070P, 5170P, 5270P, 5370P, in Nautilus I have 5711 both dials, 5990 5980, 5164A. I have platona, Batman, Pepsi, hulk several Journe. Etc etc.

WARNING - The RM”s have a place and are addictive.
Also - if you think Patek are tough to acquire, ha ha, you ain’t seen nothing yet. Try getting a NPTP black RM-11-03 or any other 11-03 for that matter. A Bubba, ha. A Nadal 35-02 black, no chance -none, grey or preowned only. These make a 5711 look like a Breitling when it comes to difficulty to acquire. You need to step in and get started then buy some big boy pieces to get a recognition piece like one of those. Think about the 5711 bought at retail, dealer is handing you $40k or more. Some of these RM’s are like handing you $100,000 plus.

Let’s be honest, has RM developed as a watchmaker to create highly complicated watches that no one else can duplicate the complication? no. But what they have done is create these in materials no one else has tried or been successful. Where they have excelled is in marketing.

One last thing, when you wear one it will be noticed. If you only want to have your watches fly under the radar, run away from RM. more people than you think can identify the brand. Here are mine, the 67 Rose is great with a suit or casual. The others are just fun.

The brand is polarizing no doubt but if you want a sports watch, I don’t know of anything more sporty. Those who bash them likely have never handled one much. One other thing, if you think some AD’s for various brands can be, shall we say difficult, expect nothing less here too. It takes time to build a relationship. RM expects a lot from the clients and they reward them accordingly.
Thanks for the advice. the 11-01 Looks really cool. They said I could get on the list for a 11-02. But I’m not sure if I’m ready for that yet. Still not a 100% there but I do appreciate it. I’m not worried about being under the radar or above lol.

I’m semi retired.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 11:21 PM   #41
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I like the bubba wubba...I mean bubba watson. Realistically the 67 in titanium, rose, or WG are probably the ones I gravitate towards. Ultra slim, skeletonized etc. Don't own any yet.
That’s the girl one? The really small one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
What a collection, those look great! The Rafa in particular is incredible. Can’t imagine what they’re like in person!
Surprisingly they let me hold the Rafa one about 6 months back...it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
Buy your wife the cotton candy one and steal her 5990
We’ve already swapped. She wears my smaller ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
I have tried desperately to source the Summer Edition from AP but they have sold out Worldwide. Its 44mm btw unless you are talking about a different watch?

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.A010CA.01/
You are right it’s 44mm. For some reason I thought it was 42mm. Its a really fun looking watch.
Old 4 July 2019, 11:22 PM   #42
aproo
"TRF" Member

RM is a nice watch and good mix to any collection, moved along another piece but kept the AB2. My favourite with a mix of ceramic and rose gold.

aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2019, 11:24 PM   #43
Fat_ninja
Banned

Btw one of the reasons I’ve become interested in RM is the skeletonized movement. I really wanted an AP openworks...but alas no one will sell me one. :(

And I’m not about to go start an AP relationship from scratch. There are a few interesting watches but I don’t think the spend will be enough to get me on the openworks list.
Old 4 July 2019, 11:25 PM   #44
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproo View Post
RM is a nice watch and good mix to any collection, moved along another piece but kept the AB2. My favourite with a mix of ceramic and rose gold.

That is so cool!
Old 5 July 2019, 12:31 AM   #45
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I think they're really impressive. I tried on a friends, but its a little too busy for my taste.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 12:38 AM   #46
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

I don’t think the morning after will be pretty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 01:54 AM   #47
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I do not like them, in photos or in the flesh. Bulky and ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 02:05 AM   #48
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have 4 Pateks and 2 RMs including the 11-02... I have had a number of people comment on how they like the 11-02 when they see me wearing but only one knew who RM was and the value. The others just thought it looked cool

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. the 11-01 Looks really cool. They said I could get on the list for a 11-02. But I’m not sure if I’m ready for that yet. Still not a 100% there but I do appreciate it. I’m not worried about being under the radar or above lol.

I’m semi retired.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 02:05 AM   #49
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Extremely comfortable to wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I do not like them, in photos or in the flesh. Bulky and ugly.

Old 5 July 2019, 02:08 AM   #50
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I have 4 Pateks and 2 RMs including the 11-02... I have had a number of people comment on how they like the 11-02 when they see me wearing but only one knew who RM was and the value. The others just thought it looked cool
What’s the other RM?
Old 5 July 2019, 02:14 AM   #51
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Extremely comfortable to wear

Makes sense with the exotic materials like carbon but they are still way bulky and tall. I appreciate the craftsmanship and technology but that's where it ends for me.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 02:18 AM   #52
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
I dig RM!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 02:20 AM   #53
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

Rm 004

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_ninja View Post
what’s the other rm?
Old 5 July 2019, 02:22 AM   #54
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Rm 004
Which do u prefer of the 2? Just curious
Old 5 July 2019, 02:25 AM   #55
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
I find myself continually going into the RM store. I walked into the store today and put my name down on a RM-030 to see if there’s a slot open. I haven’t committed to it yet. But i feel like if its not the next 6 months... maybe the following 6 months?

I also went to AP but was interested in an AP summer edition ROO That apparently was a short run (rose gold white dial 42mm chrono with 44mm pushers and a white strap. Edit this was not available

How did u guys think about braoadening out ur collection? Which path have you gone. BTW I’m not stopping my Patek buying... I’m thinking of additional watches that might be fun.

I keep coming back to RM. feels like the RM 30 is the same size as the 11-02.

What u guys think?
For a short period, I was strongly infactuated with a RM 11-02/03 in RG. But then, I felt not justified, ie really too much to pay when there are so many better and more affordable alternatives. Now I don't feel attracted to it at all. It's basically a statement watch, just mho.

As for broadening my collection... Many of my watches were impulse buy so I need to kick off this watch buying habit. I already have too many watches and can't wear them all, so I just wait and see until something comes along that I really want. It took me > 6 months to confirm that I really want the 5170P.

If you like the RM and money is no object, by all means go ahead and make yourself happy.
Old 5 July 2019, 02:30 AM   #56
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
For a short period, I was strongly infactuated with a RM 11-02/03 in RG. But then, I felt not justified, ie really too much to pay when there are so many better and more affordable alternatives. Now I don't feel attracted to it at all. It's basically a statement watch, just mho.

As for broadening my collection... Many of my watches were impulse buy so I need to kick off this watch buying habit. I already have too many watches and can't wear them all, so I just wait and see until something comes along that I really want. It took me > 6 months to confirm that I really want the 5170P.

If you like the RM and money is no object, by all means go ahead and make yourself happy.
Maybe I should give it another 6 months before I decide...maybe I’ll fall out of love with it. Money is always an object :(
Old 5 July 2019, 02:35 AM   #57
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Maybe I should give it another 6 months before I decide...maybe I’ll fall out of love with it. Money is always an object :(
Good idea. At the very least, you should try it on many times to be sure.
Old 5 July 2019, 02:36 AM   #58
Sam Philip
Banned

I have tried to obtain RM 11-03 and RM 35-02 but could not get those watches at retail. I agree with DR Golf's comment that 5711 at retail is very easy to obtain compared to RM 11 or RM 35 at retail. Even a Patek enamel world timer is easy to obtain compared to those RMs
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2019, 02:50 AM   #59
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I have tried to obtain RM 11-03 and RM 35-02 but could not get those watches at retail. I agree with DR Golf's comment that 5711 at retail is very easy to obtain compared to RM 11 or RM 35 at retail. Even a Patek enamel world timer is easy to obtain compared to those RMs
Is there a reason you don’t want the 11-02? They are taking orders. You can get in 8 weeks
Old 5 July 2019, 02:50 AM   #60
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Being a ninja is all about stealth, wearing an RM is all about creating noise - the two aren’t compatible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote