The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 28 October 2009, 04:29 AM   #31
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post
Thank you all for your insight and suggestions

I had already registered on FPN but for some reason, I am unable to start or reply to any threads. Not sure why

I think I will pay fountain pen hospital a visit over this weekend look at some ballpoint and fountain pens. From looking at the website, they are located downtown Manhattan near Wall St.
Correctamundo!
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 04:43 AM   #32
Thomas
Banned

I agree, fountain pens are probably not best suited for everyday use. Mont Blanc make a nice ballpoint and rollerball, but personally I think they are over priced for a plastic pen. Give Waterman a look, they are nice. I like rollerballs but they seem to use ink at a pretty fast rate compared to ballpoints.

There's a lot of nice pens on the market, make sure to take your time and look at several.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2009, 05:30 AM   #33
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I agree, fountain pens are probably not best suited for everyday use. Mont Blanc make a nice ballpoint and rollerball, but personally I think they are over priced for a plastic pen. Give Waterman a look, they are nice. I like rollerballs but they seem to use ink at a pretty fast rate compared to ballpoints.

There's a lot of nice pens on the market, make sure to take your time and look at several.
While they are admittedly not my very favorite, I must say they are still up there in my book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (28.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (64.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 28 October 2009, 06:27 AM   #34
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
While they are admittedly not my very favorite, I must say they are still up there in my book.
Faith, those are very nice looking twins

It's my mother's favorite color.
Old 29 October 2009, 04:34 AM   #35
2th Dr
Banned

I had the Le Grand Rollerball in that color, but gave it to my brother.
Old 29 October 2009, 06:11 AM   #36
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
I had the Le Grand Rollerball in that color, but gave it to my brother.
Lucky fella, I wish some one given me an Mb
Old 29 October 2009, 06:57 AM   #37
2th Dr
Banned

I'll PM you one!
Old 29 October 2009, 07:32 AM   #38
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
I'll PM you one!
I have a large capacity inbox now (400 to be exact)
Old 2 November 2009, 02:49 PM   #39
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
While the pen subforum here on TRF is being worked out and finalized, I have decided to ask a couple of questions in searching for "quality" pen. Keep in mind, I've never collected or owned nice pens before.

Here is the deal: I have been greatly inspired by the fine pen community here on TRF and actively looking for my first great pen. As I am a pen novice at this point, I've have decided to ask for advice as to where should I begin.

I am tooling over the idea of picking a nice fountain pen but I do not know much (actually anything) about them. Perhaps, I should start with a nice Montblanc ballpoint pen.

I guess I just need some direction Any and all advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

-Gus
Gus,

While you can't go wrong with a MB ballpoint or roller ball, I would suggest a fountain pen at some point in the near future.

I personally own several MB ball pens and used to use them in my younger days, but I must say that there is absolutely nothing like the glide of a fine fountain pen nib across paper. Once I experienced the effortlessness of writing, the beauty of the ink and it's shading, and the other many qualities of a nice FP there was no going back.

I use my FP's exclusively now and I cannot remember when the last time was that I carried a ball pen to work. One of the enjoyable things to me is to be in a meeting and take out my FP to take notes. I am sure a lot of the folks think I am rather strange, but for the most part people seem to enjoy seeing something out of the ordinary. I have actually had people say that they didn't know fountain pens were still being produced.

And the beauty of a fine FP cannot be denied. The engraved 14K or 18K gold nib, the "furniture" of the pen itself, all of that exudes quality and says something about the man or woman using it.

Regardless of what you decide there is just something about a fine pen that you will enjoy. It is much the same satisfaction that we get from wearing an exquisite Rolex timepiece and will compliment your Rolex in a very nice way.

Good luck!

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2009, 03:19 PM   #40
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Gus,

While you can't go wrong with a MB ballpoint or roller ball, I would suggest a fountain pen at some point in the near future.

I personally own several MB ball pens and used to use them in my younger days, but I must say that there is absolutely nothing like the glide of a fine fountain pen nib across paper. Once I experienced the effortlessness of writing, the beauty of the ink and it's shading, and the other many qualities of a nice FP there was no going back.

I use my FP's exclusively now and I cannot remember when the last time was that I carried a ball pen to work. One of the enjoyable things to me is to be in a meeting and take out my FP to take notes. I am sure a lot of the folks think I am rather strange, but for the most part people seem to enjoy seeing something out of the ordinary. I have actually had people say that they didn't know fountain pens were still being produced.

And the beauty of a fine FP cannot be denied. The engraved 14K or 18K gold nib, the "furniture" of the pen itself, all of that exudes quality and says something about the man or woman using it.

Regardless of what you decide there is just something about a fine pen that you will enjoy. It is much the same satisfaction that we get from wearing an exquisite Rolex timepiece and will compliment your Rolex in a very nice way.

Good luck!

Looks like we have the sub forum now!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome Steve

Richard, I have decided to take the day off from work and instead go to Fountain Pen Hospital first thing tomorrow.

Thanks to several members here, I have excluded ballpoint/roller ball from my short list (at least for the time being). I will go with FP!!! Something in the entry level like a Lamy 2000 or Sailor 1911.

Whatever I end up purchasing, I will test drive as many pens in my budget as I can.

I will report tomorrow with my purchase.
Old 2 November 2009, 03:26 PM   #41
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Looks like we have the sub forum now!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome Steve

Richard, I have decided to take the day off from work and instead go to Fountain Pen Hospital first thing tomorrow.

Thanks to several members here, I have excluded ballpoint/roller ball from my short list (at least for the time being). I will go with FP!!! Something in the entry level like a Lamy 2000 or Sailor 1911.

Whatever I end up purchasing, I will test drive as many pens in my budget as I can.

I will report tomorrow with my purchase.
Gus! Good man!

The Lamy Safari is one of the best writing FP's that I own. I kid you not!

While you are there make sure you try the 1.1 italic nib for it. And notices the line variations when you test it out. This nib can take a chicken scratcher and make him look like he just graduated a penmanship class with at least a B+! Amazing nibs and pens!

They also make a metal / aluminum model of the Safari called the All-Star. They have that really cool 1950's aluminum finish on them that is sort of translucent. Nice!
Old 2 November 2009, 03:39 PM   #42
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gus! Good man!

The Lamy Safari is one of the best writing FP's that I own. I kid you not!

While you are there make sure you try the 1.1 italic nib for it. And notices the line variations when you test it out. This nib can take a chicken scratcher and make him look like he just graduated a penmanship class with at least a B+! Amazing nibs and pens!

They also make a metal / aluminum model of the Safari called the All-Star. They have that really cool 1950's aluminum finish on them that is sort of translucent. Nice!
Then this is the nib for me!!!!! I appreciate the late night advice - just the details I am looking for tomorrow.
Old 2 November 2009, 03:49 PM   #43
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Then this is the nib for me!!!!! I appreciate the late night advice - just the details I am looking for tomorrow.
Yep. Give that 1.1 italic a try. It looks funny compared to the normal nib, but there is nothing like them.

PLUS, the great thing about these Lamy's is that you can pick up several nibs and change them out yourself in about 20 seconds. One pen, many nibs! The cost about 10 bucks each.

Here is what they look like with a writing sample. The Lamy is the one on top.

The Al-Star

Old 2 November 2009, 04:11 PM   #44
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the writing samples. You said the top one is the Lamy, which FP is on the bottom? I like that style a tad bit more
Old 3 November 2009, 02:02 AM   #45
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the writing samples. You said the top one is the Lamy, which FP is on the bottom? I like that style a tad bit more
Aaggh! I am kicking myself. I totaly forgot to mention the Safari! I have the ltd orange one and I agree it is an amazing pen for the price.
I have the 1.5 italic nib fitted and it is an amazing writer.
And you guys in the states get it even cheaper than we do!
This one is an excellent choice as well! I guess I got fixated on the under $200 thing and thought up to that!
Great thing with the safari is that if you want the wonderful italic for some of your writing then decide you want something more conservative for business you can flip the nib in seconds...Of course at this price you could get a couple of pens and save that job!
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2009, 06:49 AM   #46
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandy View Post
That really is quite stunning, you would definately like some of the artisan Nakaya's!

From the Nakaya website!
http://www.nakaya.org/emakie1.html
I just fell in love with Nakaya's "Makie-e" line.
Love Urushi's distinct gloss.
Absolutely stunning.

Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2009, 06:58 AM   #47
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Aaggh! I am kicking myself. I totaly forgot to mention the Safari! I have the ltd orange one and I agree it is an amazing pen for the price.
I have the 1.5 italic nib fitted and it is an amazing writer.
And you guys in the states get it even cheaper than we do!
This one is an excellent choice as well! I guess I got fixated on the under $200 thing and thought up to that!
Great thing with the safari is that if you want the wonderful italic for some of your writing then decide you want something more conservative for business you can flip the nib in seconds...Of course at this price you could get a couple of pens and save that job!
I ended up buying the LAMY Studio with M nib. The Studio felt better in my hand than the 2k and the ability to utilize cartridges (while traveling) is also appealing. All I am going to say now is, I see myself buying more FPs in the future!!

I will write up a brief review of the pen shortly.
Thanks for all your help!

G
Old 3 November 2009, 07:51 AM   #48
shandy
Banned

Quote:
I ended up buying the LAMY Studio with M nib. The Studio felt better in my hand than the 2k and the ability to utilize cartridges (while traveling) is also appealing. All I am going to say now is, I see myself buying more FPs in the future!!

I will write up a brief review of the pen shortly.
Thanks for all your help!

G
Excellent choice! I think you are going to get a great deal of enjoyment out of it and you know I think you will find yourself getting other pens, I know For so long I had one and now, well it is a very small collection but like my watches each one stands on it's own merits, I hope you check out vintage pens as well. I love writing with my 83 year old stub/flexi nib parker.
Here is what it looks like.
Old 3 November 2009, 08:19 AM   #49
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent choice! I think you are going to get a great deal of enjoyment out of it and you know I think you will find yourself getting other pens, I know For so long I had one and now, well it is a very small collection but like my watches each one stands on it's own merits, I hope you check out vintage pens as well. I love writing with my 83 year old stub/flexi nib parker.
Here is what it looks like.
Thanks! It's funny that you mention vintage pens. I caught myself self checking out a few today at FPH. They have a vast selection at what appeared to be decent pricing.

There is something about writing with an 80+ yo pen.
Old 3 November 2009, 08:24 AM   #50
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Excellent handwriting!
I need to get my copy books out and practice!
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2009, 08:25 AM   #51
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Excellent handwriting!
I need to get my copy books out and practice!
Agreed, my chicken scratch can't compare
Old 3 November 2009, 09:51 AM   #52
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

OK, that is a sweet Parker and the nib on that guy has to be rather rare.

Congratulation on a lovely Duofold!

Old 3 November 2009, 10:00 AM   #53
shandy
Banned

Quote:
OK, that is a sweet Parker and the nib on that guy has to be rather rare.

Congratulation on a lovely Duofold!

Thanks so much Richard, it is a rare beast in a couple of ways.
It is a Duofold special which has the length of a senior but the girth of a junior. The nib is the nib it came with all those years ago, a flex stub.
It has become my favorite fountain pen and I write between 9 and 15 pages a day with it.
It is the main reason for me sending my Nakaya back to John Mottishaw for a nib replacement. I have had John fit a double broad nibe with stub grind and extra flex, should be here by the end of the week and hopefull with the Montegrappa historia Limited edition I snagged off him at the same time

How are you enjoying the Omas, that has to be one of the most beautiful modern pens out there. I know one will be mine very soon, I love Omas and have had the pleasure of using the same one as yours with a broad nib, it has left memories with me!

Thank you as well folks for your comments on my handwriting, trust me it is the nib! I strive every day to improve but one look at Richards hand writing makes me realise I have a way to go.

Thank you as well Steve for creating this sub forum. I predict it is going to be a very busy one!
Old 3 November 2009, 10:15 AM   #54
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks so much Richard, it is a rare beast in a couple of ways.
It is a Duofold special which has the length of a senior but the girth of a junior. The nib is the nib it came with all those years ago, a flex stub.
It has become my favorite fountain pen and I write between 9 and 15 pages a day with it.
It is the main reason for me sending my Nakaya back to John Mottishaw for a nib replacement. I have had John fit a double broad nibe with stub grind and extra flex, should be here by the end of the week and hopefull with the Montegrappa historia Limited edition I snagged off him at the same time

How are you enjoying the Omas, that has to be one of the most beautiful modern pens out there. I know one will be mine very soon, I love Omas and have had the pleasure of using the same one as yours with a broad nib, it has left memories with me!

Thank you as well folks for your comments on my handwriting, trust me it is the nib! I strive every day to improve but one look at Richards hand writing makes me realise I have a way to go.

Thank you as well Steve for creating this sub forum. I predict it is going to be a very busy one!
Thanks Shandy for the compliment on my handwriting, but I assure you that it was all the pen. The photo in my signature is from the MB 149 italic that I have. That pen improves the appearance of my handwriting by 10 fold.

The Omas is excellent, but I am not using it at the time. It was more of a collector piece for my collection and was actually my first Omas. I am going to pick up the same pen in the Milord very soon. That one I will use in my rotation.

That Duo is a real keeper. I am going to see if I can find one somewhere, but it will most definitely take some time.

Can't wait to see examples of the one your are getting back from Mottishaw. Please don't forget to post some samples of its abilities.