The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 September 2019, 07:56 AM   #1
Gdoc26
"TRF" Member

Amplitude of 3235

I have two watches with the 3235 movement . A DJ41 and SD43. Both of these seem to run in the 260-290 deg range, quite a bit lower than my other modern sports watch movements. Anyone else have similar experience?
Gdoc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Irydium
"TRF" Member

Which orientation of the watch did you test them at? 260 -270 is great for positions other than dial up or dial down, where it should be higher, where I've gotten 280 - 300).
Irydium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 10:28 AM   #3
Panych
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoc26 View Post
I have two watches with the 3235 movement . A DJ41 and SD43. Both of these seem to run in the 260-290 deg range, quite a bit lower than my other modern sports watch movements. Anyone else have similar experience?
Make sure that your watch is fully wound and you use a correct lift angle while you measure. It should be 55.
My 3235 on a DJ has 300+ amplitude.
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 06:52 PM   #4
watchmaker
TechXpert

High amplitude is not analogous to good performance of a watch. There's a lot more to it than that and that is why the amplitude only needs to be below a maximum value when fully wound and above a minimum value after 24 hours.

Rolex claims the chronergy escapement is 15% more efficient which means less amplitude is required to perform optimally compared to swiss lever escapements.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 12:23 AM   #5
Gdoc26
"TRF" Member

I use 55 as the lift angle and measure in six positions, dial up, dial perpendicular crown left, dial perpendicular crown right, crown down, crown up and dial down and take average readings.
Gdoc26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 05:00 AM   #6
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Amplitude dropping...

Yes, I think the 3235 in my SD43 has the same issue.

When I purchased the watch, the amplitude ranged from 288 (FU) to 239 (CD).
Now the movement is running at 260 (FU) to 218 (CD).

I had the same issue with my GMT 126710BLRO, along with a sticking date disk, and it required three trips for Rolex to get both of those issues right. The first time I sent it in was because the amplitude dropped to 188 (CD).

Disclosures: full wind, gain turned up high for the microphone to listen through thicker dive case, lift angle at 55 degrees, and the time-keeping is gradually slowing.

Any TRF community insight appreciated,

-Sheldon
Old 6 September 2020, 09:45 PM   #7
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonsmith View Post
Yes, I think the 3235 in my SD43 has the same issue.

When I purchased the watch, the amplitude ranged from 288 (FU) to 239 (CD).
Now the movement is running at 260 (FU) to 218 (CD).

I had the same issue with my GMT 126710BLRO, along with a sticking date disk, and it required three trips for Rolex to get both of those issues right. The first time I sent it in was because the amplitude dropped to 188 (CD).

Disclosures: full wind, gain turned up high for the microphone to listen through thicker dive case, lift angle at 55 degrees, and the time-keeping is gradually slowing.

Any TRF community insight appreciated,

-Sheldon
For 32xx the minimum permitted amplitude is 200 degrees measured after 24 hours.

I suggest checking that, then you'll have a definitive answer.
Old 7 September 2020, 03:38 AM   #8
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
For 32xx the minimum permitted amplitude is 200 degrees measured after 24 hours.

Perfect thank you!

-Sheldon
Old 7 September 2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Fred48
Banned

My new Explorer ran 260 dial up and down; Rolex said it was fine.
Fred48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2020, 11:27 PM   #10
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Perfect thank you!

-Sheldon
Any news?
Old 9 September 2020, 01:53 AM   #11
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

3235 Update

Thanks for looping back.

I attempted to insert the table that I sent to Rolex, but cannot seem to find the method for inserting HTML or PHP that works with the platform. I have attached a .pdf of my findings.

The watch is going to Rolex Dallas RSC today.

This is my second 32xx movement, and the fourth time that I have to send it into Rolex (but the first time for this watch).

I do feel fortunate that Rolex understands customer service and will ultimately will get resolved.

-Sheldon
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fully Wound.pdf (45.2 KB, 164 views)
Old 9 September 2020, 02:44 AM   #12
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks for looping back.

I attempted to insert the table that I sent to Rolex, but cannot seem to find the method for inserting HTML or PHP that works with the platform. I have attached a .pdf of my findings.

The watch is going to Rolex Dallas RSC today.

This is my second 32xx movement, and the fourth time that I have to send it into Rolex (but the first time for this watch).

I do feel fortunate that Rolex understands customer service and will ultimately will get resolved.

-Sheldon
Sorry to hear you’ve had multiple 32xx issues.

Better that it fails during the warranty period than after it expires is my take on it.
Old 26 September 2020, 02:47 AM   #13
wm82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post

In Crown down position.

The 32XX has had some teething problems, the biggest one being the center seconds wheel wear in the cannon pinion. They added an oiling point there in the manual. The 3135 never had that problem strangely.

Also theyve updated the calendar wheel with a new version, there was problems with the date change, and day/date change on the 3255.

I've serviced a number of 32XXs, mostly warranty repairs, and they never seem to have very high amplitude directly after servicing. Around 270-280 full wind at best. I think this is normal for the movement and has to do with the longer power reserve and escapement. Timing results are usually spot on.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 07:37 AM   #14
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Thank you! This helps. The Date Wheel issue resonates with my experience with the 3285 movement date wheel issue that I had with the 126710.

Rolex Dallas indicated a 6 week turn around on my 126600 and no mention of a full service . We’ll see how it goes.

Thank you again for your insights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm82 View Post
In Crown down position.

The 32XX has had some teething problems, the biggest one being the center seconds wheel wear in the cannon pinion. They added an oiling point there in the manual. The 3135 never had that problem strangely.

Also theyve updated the calendar wheel with a new version, there was problems with the date change, and day/date change on the 3255.

I've serviced a number of 32XXs, mostly warranty repairs, and they never seem to have very high amplitude directly after servicing. Around 270-280 full wind at best. I think this is normal for the movement and has to do with the longer power reserve and escapement. Timing results are usually spot on.
Old 10 December 2020, 10:02 AM   #15
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Just looping back around as follow-up to the low amplitude issue on my SD43 / 3235.

After two COVID-19 months at Dallas, the watched was returned. In my conversations with Dallas Customer Service Rep, she indicated that they could not discern any issue with the watch.

With the watch shipped back, I put it on the timing machine and here are the results (full wind):

Face UP

Crown Left

Crown Down

Crown Right

Face Down

So it looks to me the technicians just adjusted up the balance wheel. In normal wearing, the watch consistently runs +2 to +3/day (Face Up overnight on the night stand).

I have not let the watch run 24 hours for an amplitude reading yet; I’ll report back if the results are materially different.

-Sheldon
Old 11 December 2020, 02:17 AM   #16
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Like others have said, many (most?) 3235 movements have lower amplitudes than the 3135, in general. Which is fine. 240, 250, 260 is good, 220, 215 205 is not.

I do believe that the low amplitude (actually low) is connected with the seconds wheel pivot problem.

Mine was running at like 207 amplitude FU when I sent it in, also running 7-8 spd slow.
Came back fixed, pooped out again in 6 months.

Waiting for real fix before sending it in again.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2020, 09:37 PM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

Lift angle for the 32×× is no longer 55 degrees, it is now 53 degrees. Which will also result in a lower amplitude reading when compared to 55 degrees.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2020, 12:43 PM   #18
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Lift angle for the 32×× is no longer 55 degrees, it is now 53 degrees. Which will also result in a lower amplitude reading when compared to 55 degrees.

Thanks for the update. Did Rolex re-do the math, or was 55 degrees an urban myth?

Thank you again. I truly appreciate your insights.

~ Sheldon
Old 19 December 2020, 03:56 PM   #19
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Did Rolex re-do the math, or was 55 degrees an urban myth?

Thank you again. I truly appreciate your insights.

~ Sheldon
They re-did the math, it used to be 55 degrees in the technical documentation.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2020, 07:09 AM   #20
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Maybe good to do some calibration, on the newest iphone you can go to slowmotion recording with 240 fps. Take a shot a the balance wheel and determine the amplitide visually. Next compare it the reading of your timegrapher, see if it corresponds more to a setting of 55 or to a setting of 53 degrees.
Btw, also ETA specified their openings angle for some models in the past at 52 degrees and in more recent documentation they also lowered this angle for to 51 degrees.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2020, 09:46 AM   #21
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Here's a photo of my new DJ 126200 timing .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201115_185122.jpg (166.6 KB, 831 views)
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:42 AM   #22
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
They re-did the math, it used to be 55 degrees in the technical documentation.
So the technical documentation has officially changed to 53 degrees for the 32xx
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2021, 09:40 PM   #23
LNGSD43
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Would the change in lift angle go anywhere towards resolving issues with this movement? I’m no techie!
LNGSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 12:27 AM   #24
Smobews
"TRF" Member

Watch: The BIG ones
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGSD43 View Post
Would the change in lift angle go anywhere towards resolving issues with this movement? I’m no techie!
No

The isolated issues with the 3235 slowing down is from one of the pinions wearing on a bearing. Bas was kind enough to share pictures of the failure in a thread a while back. My opinion is that during manufacturing, the bearing isn't properly seated and aligned in the main plate, eventually causing uneven wear.
Smobews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2021, 09:45 PM   #25
LNGSD43
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smobews View Post
No

The isolated issues with the 3235 slowing down is from one of the pinions wearing on a bearing. Bas was kind enough to share pictures of the failure in a thread a while back. My opinion is that during manufacturing, the bearing isn't properly seated and aligned in the main plate, eventually causing uneven wear.
Thanks Smobews. One would think that should be relatively easy to fix under warranty. Mine has returned from RSC after almost 5 months and is now running perfectly. I hope this is the end of my 3235 woes.
LNGSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 09:58 AM   #26
JBoone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNGSD43 View Post
Thanks Smobews. One would think that should be relatively easy to fix under warranty. Mine has returned from RSC after almost 5 months and is now running perfectly. I hope this is the end of my 3235 woes.
Mine is running perfectly as well after a service after two years of daily wear (serviced about a year ago). Can I assume the issue is fixed or is the fix still unknown?
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote