The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 4 May 2020, 02:28 AM   #1
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyDweller 326933
Types of rubber used with Rolex seals

Here's a strange question but I want to know since I deal with some caustic chemicals sometimes. Easy solution is to keep my watch away from such chemicals, but that still doesn't satisfy the curiosity!

Any of our experts know more specifically what materials are used for these various O rings, gaskets, etc, in a newer rolex? Certain it is not natural rubber, but what type of synthetic rubber do they use? Butyl, Neoprene, EPDM, Silicone, etc. Thanks!
SpicyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 04:54 AM   #2
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
They are fluoropolymer. Viton is one brand name. Extremely resistant to corrosion, chemical attack, heat and cold.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:42 AM   #3
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
They are fluoropolymer. Viton is one brand name. Extremely resistant to corrosion, chemical attack, heat and cold.
Will a dab of WD40 help maintain the outer gasket of the crown?
Just asking haven't...

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 05:44 AM   #4
fsprow
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=yoniman;10588208]Will a dab of WD40 help maintain the outer gasket of the crown?
Just asking haven't...

NO, WD40 will just attract dirt.
Old 4 May 2020, 06:24 AM   #5
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Thanks! I tried to do some searches but nothing really specific comes up. Even when trying to order parts. No material details

Mike
Old 4 May 2020, 06:56 AM   #6
Bruce_Wayne
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Here is a link to various chemicals and O-ring chemical compatibility. Not always straight forward by sayings an O-ring is resistant to all acids or all caustics. I would recommend that when you are handling whatever caustic material, you are using proper PPE. If it is not convenient to remove your watch, make sure it is covered.

https://www.aceglass.com/html/3dissu...e/download.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruce_Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 07:14 AM   #7
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post
Here is a link to various chemicals and O-ring chemical compatibility. Not always straight forward by sayings an O-ring is resistant to all acids or all caustics. I would recommend that when you are handling whatever caustic material, you are using proper PPE. If it is not convenient to remove your watch, make sure it is covered.

Thanks that's a good document! As I suspected Viton is not really the best option for these gaskets. I wonder why rolex chose to use this material for seals

Mike
Old 4 May 2020, 05:21 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey View Post
Thanks that's a good document! As I suspected Viton is not really the best option for these gaskets. I wonder why rolex chose to use this material for seals

Mike
Simply because it's worked well over the past 20 plus years on countless millions of Rolex watches without problems, if I remember Rolex uses both Viton and Nitrile seals that can be slightly lubricated with Fomblin grease where needed like say on crown tube but a tiny amount.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 08:42 PM   #9
18078pres
"TRF" Member

wd 40 extracts moisture so don't use it on anything rubber. Silicone is good for rubber.
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 09:12 PM   #10
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Simply because it's worked well over the past 20 plus years on countless millions of Rolex watches without problems, if I remember Rolex uses both Viton and Nitrile seals that can be slightly lubricated with Fomblin grease where needed like say on crown tube but a tiny amount.
True. And chemical resistance is certainly not the only important quality. Resistance to repeated compression and release for the crown seal for example. I guess it would be foolish to second guess their decision on material choices

Mike
Old 4 May 2020, 09:51 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
True. And chemical resistance is certainly not the only important quality. Resistance to repeated compression and release for the crown seal for example. I guess it would be foolish to second guess their decision on material choices

Mike
In the real world today how many would even think of putting any watch near any chemical hazard that could damage the watch or harm the owner,so there is no need for any second guess on any decision. As Rolex has used the proper W/R material for use by anyone one that has plain common sense.That is to stay well away from any harmful material that could harm the owner or the watch.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 May 2020, 10:11 PM   #12
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In the real world today how many would even think of putting any watch near any chemical hazard that could damage the watch or harm the owner,so there is no need for any second guess on any decision. As Rolex has used the proper W/R material for use by anyone one that has plain common sense.That is to stay well away from any harmful material that could harm the owner or the watch.
Agree. But what if it's unintentional and unwitting?

Have you ever noticed that your answers are often snarky. Why is that? There's way too much of that on here (in my opinion) but as a moderator I just think you should hold yourself to a higher standard and use a less condescending tone. But maybe that's just me.

Mike
Old 4 May 2020, 10:45 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Agree. But what if it's unintentional and unwitting?

Have you ever noticed that your answers are often snarky. Why is that? There's way too much of that on here (in my opinion) but as a moderator I just think you should hold yourself to a higher standard and use a less condescending tone. But maybe that's just me.

Mike
Can assure its just you.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 May 2020, 11:18 PM   #14
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can assure its just you.
Have to say I'm not surprised you said that. I'm sure you think it's never you. Im sure you feel theres no need to be reflective of someone else's opinion. Best of luck to you

Mike
Old 4 May 2020, 11:34 PM   #15
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne View Post

Hey Bruce Wayne, Thanks again for that link. It can be useful for other things as well. Heres another pretty good site that does the same in a more interactive way. Definitely bookmarked it for general purpose use in the future. Check it out.

https://www.customadvanced.com/chemi...nce-chart.html
Old 6 May 2020, 04:57 AM   #16
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can assure its just you.
I have always found Peter’s comments to be extremely helpful and well informed. He has, on occasion, put me in my place which I probably deserved! He has strong opinions but they’re based on a great deal of experience.
Old 15 May 2020, 08:16 AM   #17
Nelson6
"TRF" Member

One thing I'm curious about is the seals being exposed to concentrated UV, such as what you get with cell phone sterilizers. It seem to me this might be a great way to sterilize you watch without harming it. Anybody know?
Nelson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 09:18 AM   #18
SpicyMikey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson6 View Post
One thing I'm curious about is the seals being exposed to concentrated UV, such as what you get with cell phone sterilizers. It seem to me this might be a great way to sterilize you watch without harming it. Anybody know?
I know my AD is using something like that right now as they begin accepting jewelry and watches in for service here in Florida. The new reality I guess.

Mike
Old 17 May 2020, 08:51 PM   #19
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson6 View Post
UV is detrimental to gasket integrity. It’s not something to worry too much about if you just wear your watch outside on a sunny day. But I wouldn’t make a habit of leaving a watch under a UV lamp for months on end.

The occasional exposure (a couple of minutes once a week say) will probably amount to the difference in gasket deterioration between the watch of somebody who lives in Florida compared to somebody who lives in Scotland.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 05:32 AM   #20
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Don't clean with an ammonia solution; Viton has very poor chemical resistance to ammonia.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2022, 11:29 AM   #21
jim.cannataro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Heuer 1163 V
Quote:

Mike
Having serviced dozens of vintage Seikos I can tell you exactly why Rolex uses viton. The crystal gasket of old seiko sports watches was made with viton. They also used regular rubber gaskets for the caseback and crown gaskets. When you disassemble the watch the caseback gaskets are completely hardened like plastic. They just crack and fall apart. The crystal gasket which is Viton is like new. It's soft and still doing its job.

This is why Rolex uses this material. The gaskets will do their job for decades (50+ years if maintained) rather than 5 years or so with rubber. This is very important as most people don't service their watches regularly.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
jim.cannataro is offline   Reply With Quote