The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2020, 12:12 AM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.A View Post
It is a franken watch because it didn’t came with what it was originally installed with, RSC is able to check in their system and will refuse to work on the watch.
Complete and utter nonsense it was only in the last few years until the 16710 was discontinued that there was any indication on paperwork what the original insert was.And that was mainly the USA which is a separate Rolex company from the rest of the world Rolex SA.The 16710 was first introduced in 1988 and there must be millions of them out there being serviced no matter the colour insert, or many having all three interchangeable coloured inserts.And if anyone was worried just remove the insert and send it for service which in most cases insert would be replaced with insert of your choice.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 12:17 AM   #32
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense it was only in the last few years until the 16710 was discontinued that there was any indication on paperwork what the original insert was.And that was mainly the USA which is a separate Rolex company from the rest of the world Rolex SA.The 16710 was first introduced in 1988 and there must be millions of them out there being serviced no matter the colour insert, or many having all three interchangeable coloured inserts.
That is a fact given by RSC when I brought in my piece. They refuse to work on it unless the insert is reverted back which they will do so.
Greg.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 12:33 AM   #33
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
it might be utter nonsense but it is Rolex policy - and if you are going to pay for a full service just to get a bezel change you might as well buy the $400 ones on this forum unless of course it is several years since the last service

just wondering but how do you explain to RSC that the watch has no bezel at all?

millions of them out there? a lot maybe but no way millions - i bet over the 20 year run Rolex averaged maybe 500,000 watches a year so 10 million watches and i really dont think 16710 reference comprised 10% of total sales

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 12:53 AM   #34
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
That is a fact given by RSC when I brought in my piece. They refuse to work on it unless the insert is reverted back which they will do so.
Well in that case did you buy a insert or someone else buy and put it on your watch.And what colour insert was it,now if they refused to service simple answer send it in without insert, keep the one you took off.Then Rolex will replace insert with whatever then you would have two different inserts for your watch for very little cost .

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 August 2020, 01:01 AM   #35
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well in that case did you buy a insert or someone else buy and put it on your watch.And what colour insert was it,now if they refused to service simple answer send it in without insert, keep the one you took off.Then Rolex will replace insert with whatever then you would have two different inserts for your watch for very little cost .
Got it used, so didn’t had any idea of the original insert. Kept the Pepsi, went for a third party service instead.
Old 7 August 2020, 01:25 AM   #36
spacedinvader
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlaw View Post
it might be utter nonsense but it is Rolex policy - and if you are going to pay for a full service just to get a bezel change you might as well buy the $400 ones on this forum unless of course it is several years since the last service

just wondering but how do you explain to RSC that the watch has no bezel at all?

millions of them out there? a lot maybe but no way millions - i bet over the 20 year run Rolex averaged maybe 500,000 watches a year so 10 million watches and i really dont think 16710 reference comprised 10% of total sales
You don’t need to have a service. Just visit RSC in St James (once it reopens) with your 16710 and they will sell you whichever colour insert you like for just under £60, or a bit less if you part exchange your old one. They’ll even install it for you if you like.
spacedinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 02:17 AM   #37
CaliSpecial
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah but where do you get them from? as i said my experience in the UK is that Rolex will NOT sell you one except as exchange for your existing bezel

i would love to get a new rolex pepsi insert but really dont want to pay $400 for the privilege

any help on where to buy one at less than ransome prices much appreciated
Not sure where this information is coming from? I walked into the RSC in West Malling with my 16710 which was ‘born’ with a black bezel and walked out 20 minutes later with a Coke bezel supplied and fitted for just under £50.00 and the original bezel in a bag.

If the AD’s are telling you this then they don’t know what they are talking about. The only time Rolex won’t do it is if it was never offered as an option from new. It’s only a ‘frankenwatch’ if you alter it from its original factory specification and on the 16710 original factory specification was a choice of 3 bezels and 2 bracelets.
CaliSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 02:23 AM   #38
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSpecial View Post
Not sure where this information is coming from? I walked into the RSC in West Malling with my 16710 which was ‘born’ with a black bezel and walked out 20 minutes later with a Coke bezel supplied and fitted for just under £50.00 and the original bezel in a bag.

If the AD’s are telling you this then they don’t know what they are talking about. The only time Rolex won’t do it is if it was never offered as an option from new. It’s only a ‘frankenwatch’ if you alter it from its original factory specification and on the 16710 original factory specification was a choice of 3 bezels and 2 bracelets.
Exactly that IMHO most of the stories posted lately are mostly hearsay and not facts.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 7 August 2020, 02:53 AM   #39
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Icon7

I'm not getting involved. I have my 3. The only full set that matters.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 03:14 AM   #40
timlaw
"TRF" Member

I have asked my ADs in Liverpool and Birmingham 3 times in the last 3 years and been told the same every time so not hearsay but my personal experience at 3 different ADs

Will try to contact the RSC in London but I don't exactly live on the doorstep

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
Old 7 August 2020, 03:25 AM   #41
dricig
"TRF" Member

If you are fortunate enough to have a 16710, get your 3 bezels ASAP before Rolex puts the Kay-bosh to selling the bezels. (just don't pay $400)
If you want a different color, Rolex wants you to buy a new watch, not a bezel.
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 04:36 AM   #42
zen123
"TRF" Member

I bought my ref 16710 with the Coke bezel on an Oyster bracelet back in 1998 while on holiday in Corfu. The green hang tag has the serial # of the watch, the bracelet ref # & the watch ref #. The hole punched papers has no indication of if it was BLRO or whatever and neither does the hang tag.

Since then I've had it serviced 3 times by RSC. First time in Hong Kong where I asked if they would install an LN bezel which they did and gave me back my Coke in a lovely little tin box. The second service was done in UK whereby I asked for a Pepsi bezel which again they installed it and gave me back the Coke bezel that was on it at the time wrapped in a small Rolex branded envelope.

The most recent service done last month just after the lock down, I had the Pepsi bezel installed at the time & I asked to purchase a Jubilee bracelet which they fitted on the watch & returned my Oyster bracelet wrapped & protected nicely in a Rolex parts envelope. The strange thing was though on the Rolex guarantee card they printed 16710 BLRO in the ref field.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
zen123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 05:51 AM   #43
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
My watch had the black insert from new. A few years ago I walked into St James Square ( UK Rolex HQ) and asked about changing the colour. I could buy another colour but it would have to be fitted to the watch then and there. I got the black and red inserted and got my original black insert back in a small square Rolex tin box. I’ve also had them changed back and fourth a couple of times with no problems.

I don’t know if this is still possible now, but it certainly was possible about 5 years ago.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 06:09 AM   #44
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I bought an F serial (2004) 16710 Coke last September. Sent it to Dallas RSC without the Coke insert. Asked for full service and a Pepsi insert. Got it back as good as new with the Pepsi insert. Love it.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 06:48 AM   #45
Bruno007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB "Bluesy"
Last week I walked into my local AD and asked to purchase a pepsi and a coke bezel, because my pre-owned 16710 came with an aftermarket pepsi bezel. They sold me both and installed the pepsi for me. Each was $100 plus $50 to install. I asked to purchase a jubilee bracelet which they were willing to order for me, but the Rolex parts system would not allow them to order. I went to a second AD and asked about ordering a jubilee bracelet and they were also blocked from ordering. They could both order a replacement oyster but not the jubilee.

Both AD's thought it was weird and agreed to contact Rolex for me. Yesterday I contacted Dallas RSC and inquired about a service, getting a bezel swap to get the black bezel, and the jubilee. They said I could buy the jubilee for $1150 and they would sell me a replacement bezel insert, but only on a one for one exchange.

Later in the day I heard from my AD that she spoke to a customer service rep at the Dallas RSC who told her the jubilee bracelets were not available. It was not clear if they just did not have any in stock or if they were no longer selling them. My AD service manager did not like the conflicting answers we received so she emailed the director of the Dallas RSC parts department to try to get a clear answer about why the AD could not order the bracelet for me. I am still waiting to hear back. Hopefully its a computer mistake or the reps are confused and the jubilee bracelets are still available from the Dallas RSC. I am also not sure why the AD would sell me whichever insert I wanted but the service rep said they would only sell on an exchange basis, which makes me think the service rep on the phone was not up to speed on the 16710 rules and was just quoting a general service policy of exchange only.

I also asked if I could purchase an additional bezel ring to have one for the pepsi and one for the coke and I was told flat out no.
Bruno007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:08 AM   #46
zen123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno007 View Post
I also asked if I could purchase an additional bezel ring to have one for the pepsi and one for the coke and I was told flat out no.
Same here, the bezel ring was a no no.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
zen123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:18 AM   #47
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed as that coincides with my experience where I was told rolex will not allow frankenwatches to be created

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Quote:
It is a franken watch because it didn’t came with what it was originally installed with, RSC is able to check in their system and will refuse to work on the watch.
Not true. Sent a 16710 without a bezel on to RSC with a copy of the paperwork saying it was a coke and oyster bracelet and asked for a Pepsi and jubilee and had no problem getting either. They even sent my oyster bracelet back to me. This was just in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
I bought an F serial (2004) 16710 Coke last September. Sent it to Dallas RSC without the Coke insert. Asked for full service and a Pepsi insert. Got it back as good as new with the Pepsi insert. Love it.
Same.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:24 AM   #48
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16710.html

this is a good article on the 16710

basically if the papers / hangtag said just 16710 it left the factory as a coke
if they said 16710BLRO like the hang tag pictured it was a pepsi
if they said 16710LN it was a solid black bezel model on manufacture

mine is a Z series 16710 so is a coke bezel model

as above i am not sure it really matters

it is not possible in the UK at least to pop in to your local AD and ask them for a coke bezel to go with the pepsi you have as they will only sell you a new replacement on exchange for the one you have in the original colour that was on the watch - at least on the 3 occasions i have asked UK AD's i have been told the same

new rolex bezels are on sale on the forum in all colours for the 16710 but at $400 a pop if memory serves me correctly
The info you provided is not correct at all... which you wrote as:

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 07:54 AM   #49
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I am dizzy
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 10:14 AM   #50
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
Not true. Sent a 16710 without a bezel on to RSC with a copy of the paperwork saying it was a coke and oyster bracelet and asked for a Pepsi and jubilee and had no problem getting either. They even sent my oyster bracelet back to me. This was just in March.

Same.
It is a fact for my RSC and as well as some of the others out here. I can’t explain for the rest of the RSC out there in other countries like yours. Seems like different RSC operates differently, but don’t be surprise if this policy gets enforced worldwide.
Old 7 August 2020, 06:35 PM   #51
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I’d say that the person who returned the info from the Rolex database was wrong if the serial on that hangtag coincides with the watch.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 12:27 AM   #52
dcvh007
"TRF" Member

Bezel colour / tone

Is there a way to get a bezel insert of these sorts of tones, or will that come down to tracking down an old patina'd one... Love the lighter blue on these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4030067.jpg (74.6 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg GMT.jpg (66.7 KB, 216 views)
dcvh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 12:37 AM   #53
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I am dizzy
Just catching up to this thread now. I needed gravol as well
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 07:38 AM   #54
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Quote:
This isnt true. Mine was born a LN, sourced a legit coke, sent it to RSC Dallas in 2018 with the coke and they serviced and replaced the scratched coke insert.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 03:33 PM   #55
timlaw
"TRF" Member

so i phoned RSC london yesterday - i was told if my watch is sent in by my local AD that the coke can be swapped for pepsi bezel and my oyster can be changed for a jubilee bracelet for under £1000 total AND as long as i request it my old insert and bracelet will be returned to me

sounds all good and might well do it

forgot to ask about attending in person and waiting - probably a preferred option but not before covid issues resolve somewhat

Old 18 August 2020, 04:27 PM   #56
PanosI
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
My F serial 16710 came from the factory with a black insert.

Since then I have changed twice the insert with Pepsi and Coke and every time I take the already installed on the watch back (hence the 3 inserts) and have “installed” (because technically you can’t buy from the RSC) the 62510 H jubilee bracelet with 502T end links with the official receipts from the RSC to prove the above.

The fact that Rolex or the RSC’s change their policies for time to time or in different regions DOESN’T make my beauty a Franken watch. Simple as that.
PanosI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 04:58 PM   #57
Ihatecheese
Banned

Quote:
Incorrect.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 05:22 PM   #58
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Just send it to RSC for a repair quote.
They can determine the original bezel insert. And if it doesn't match, if you're pushing through with the service they will dispose of the existing insert and put the 'correct' one. You will be billed for it, of course.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 05:30 PM   #59
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
[QUOTE=springer;10804922]The info you provided is not correct at all... which you wrote as:

[/

Did Rolex only use the letter identification in the States?

I was my understanding that Rolex would change dials, bezels, bracelets etc. if the model in question was produced in that configuration.

Is this still true?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2020, 10:36 AM   #60
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontre View Post
Stunning ! did you find this one on Ebay or elsewhere?
Thanks.. My AD sold it new and took it back in from the same original owner one year ago.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16710 , gmtmaster2 , rolex