The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 March 2018, 03:48 AM   #1
torrente
"TRF" Member

My DJ36 after one month

After one month I cannot be happier with my SS DJ36, I purchase it after an important milestone that would allowed me to purchase any Rolex, but after taking everything in consideration I took the decision on this one.

I love :
- The size, nevertheless I have a 7.5inch wrist and I needed extra links I love it on my wrist.
- The sleek clear white dial with the sticks.
- The jubilee bracelet, I have not used other Rolex bracelet but this is nice and very comfortable.
- The nice fluted bezel, I have noticed that frequently while I am driving there is a nice reflection of the fluted bezel inside the car, I would describe it as a kind of a wheel of tiny shinny stars.
- The precision, currently is about 2 seconds/day fast
- The hidden clasp, looking at the new Basel DJ36 models that can imply that in the future the new SS will lose it, in my opinion would make the new jubilee models less attractive. Not having hidden clasp on DJ40 was a deal breaker for me to decide for DJ36.
- The interesting roulette date, just a small detail that change the watch every day. Not having roulette date on DJ40 was reinforcing factor to decide for DJ36.

The only improvement that I am missing is some extra power reserve, with an extra day of power reserve I would not have to set and wind it most of the times that I did. But considering a potential future DJ36 with new movement and without hidden clasp I would prefer the current one.

I had a very good discount and extra jubilee links for free plus a nice Rolex green tie, regarding this point for sure it has helped that at the same time we were purchasing a nice WG Pearlmaster for my wife ;-)…

In a few months I have another big life milestone and I am starting to think on the next one, currently I am between a blue dial Turn-o-graph and an Explorer I...
torrente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 08:01 AM   #2
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Nice review and a great looking DJ. I’ve decided the SS jubilee and fluted bezel with either a black or white stick dial is my next watch.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 02:05 PM   #3
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the post.

Did you think of the blue or silver dial before getting the white one?

I own a sub date and will be picking up a DJ36 on my 40th bday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ECLS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2018, 02:38 PM   #4
torrente
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLS18 View Post
Did you think of the blue or silver dial before getting the white one?

I spent a lot of time watching reviews and looking at the different options on internet, I had time to brew the decision as it took one month since I decided to purchase a Rolex to highlight a business milestone that was coming to the moment that the milestone was confirmed.

During that time I also visited the AD several times considering different alternatives like DayDate, smurf and Yatchmaster I.

Once I decided to go for the SS DJ those colors were on the final short list. The AD had a big stock of DJ, once I saw them live on my wrist my decision was evident and easy for me.
Old 24 March 2018, 03:45 PM   #5
ECLS18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrente View Post
I spent a lot of time watching reviews and looking at the different options on internet, I had time to brew the decision as it took one month since I decided to purchase a Rolex to highlight a business milestone that was coming to the moment that the milestone was confirmed.

During that time I also visited the AD several times considering different alternatives like DayDate, smurf and Yatchmaster I.

Once I decided to go for the SS DJ those colors were on the final short list. The AD had a big stock of DJ, once I saw them live on my wrist my decision was evident and easy for me.

Excellent. Thanks for your response. Enjoy the DJ. It’s a beauty.

ECLS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 10:30 AM   #6
riskwalla
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch. Good size and a classic. Can't think of a more rewarding purchase for a milestone. May you enjoy in good health!
riskwalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 08:10 AM   #7
Valhala
Banned

Excellent
Valhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2018, 09:51 AM   #8
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
I have the exact same watch, I don't wear it as much as I'd like to but it is a beautiful piece.

I also echo the thoughts on the Jubilee's hidden clasp. I personally quite like the new clasp on the new SS GMT but the hidden clasp is so elegant on this DJ.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2018, 12:13 AM   #9
H-Watches
"TRF" Member

Quote:

After one month I cannot be happier with my SS DJ36, I purchase it after an important milestone that would allowed me to purchase any Rolex, but after taking everything in consideration I took the decision on this one.

I love :
- The size, nevertheless I have a 7.5inch wrist and I needed extra links I love it on my wrist.
- The jubilee bracelet, I have not used other Rolex bracelet but this is nice and very comfortable.
- The nice fluted bezel, I have noticed that frequently while I am driving there is a nice reflection of the fluted bezel inside the car, I would describe it as a kind of a wheel of tiny shinny stars.
- The hidden clasp, looking at the new Basel DJ36 models that can imply that in the future the new SS will lose it, in my opinion would make the new jubilee models less attractive. Not having hidden clasp on DJ40 was a deal breaker for me to decide for DJ36.
- The interesting roulette date, just a small detail that change the watch every day. Not having roulette date on DJ40 was reinforcing factor to decide for DJ36.

The only improvement that I am missing is some extra power reserve, with an extra day of power reserve I would not have to set and wind it most of the times that I did. But considering a potential future DJ36 with new movement and without hidden clasp I would prefer the current one.

I had a very good discount and extra jubilee links for free plus a nice Rolex green tie, regarding this point for sure it has helped that at the same time we were purchasing a nice WG Pearlmaster for my wife ;-)…

In a few months I have another big life milestone and I am starting to think on the next one, currently I am between a blue dial Turn-o-graph and an Explorer I...

Glad your enjoying it! I am a huge fan of the Turnograph!

H-Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2018, 11:56 PM   #10
torrente
"TRF" Member

I have my new Exp1 for close to one week now, I purchased it to pair it with my SS DJ36 white sticks with jubilee. They are close designs but complement each other in every aspect color/bezel/bracelet/size/dial/hands/clasp.
After some days wearing both I am noticing that it is a big difference in confort between both, I feel the DJ36 much more comfortable than the Exp1, the first reason is the jubilee bracelet amplified by the difference in watch size.
Old 10 April 2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Great pair, my DJ is the same except for a rhodium dial. And my Explorer is more my everyday watch, although I haven’t taken off my DJ for almost two weeks now.

Good luck and enjoy them both !
Old 28 April 2018, 10:27 PM   #12
otherminds
2024 Pledge Member

Lovely. Congrats!
otherminds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 07:29 PM   #13
kiralymd
"TRF" Member

I see the beginning of a wonderful journey here
Enjoy all the more advanced/masculine Rolexesas well as you buy and sell continuously in the future in good health, all the women's and men's models you already have and about to buy, but be aware, your wife might borrow your Explorer one day and never looks back

Never mind, there are plenty of them out there.... watches, i mean of course

Welcome to the Rolex Forums. Have fun
kiralymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 07:34 PM   #14
kiralymd
"TRF" Member

P.S.: Start buying watches for yourself, what you like and fits you.
...and send photos
kiralymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 07:34 PM   #15
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
great pairing , jubilee is very comfy , i added a couple of half links to the bracelet on my explorer where the bracelet bends most round the curvy bit of the wrist , and that makes it a very close second to a jubilee , not the most expensive thing to do either.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2018, 08:23 PM   #16
De Carlo
Banned

Congrats and thanks for the post
De Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 05:12 PM   #17
mikkolopez
"TRF" Member

Congratulations to a very nice pair of Rolex

I have even DONE everything,
I just don't REMEMBER everything.
mikkolopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2018, 01:25 PM   #18
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Watches View Post
Glad your enjoying it! I am a huge fan of the Turnograph!

I, too, love the TOG. Sorry to report that it was discontinued several years ago. Maybe a 40 ml,update is in the works, but don't hold your breath.

The TOG was never all that popular which is probably the main reason it was deleted. Others claim it was "too small for a sports watch" and "has no clear cut 'identity' as either a sport or dress watch".

Reasons notwithstanding, it was cool and unique - and made by Rolex. What more does a guy need? Anyway, previously owned is the only way to grab one now.

Congratulations on your newest!

Best,
Mark

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 01:41 AM   #19
gaeleus
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I love :

Congratulations sir on a beautiful watch. I think that size looks perfect on your wrist. DJ don't get enough credit on watch enthusiasts fora - people often get fixed on the sport models. This was my first Rolex and after collecting for over 35 years and having had everything in their catalogues, I often go back to my original DJ as my daily wearer. It feels extremely comfortable. Keep enjoying in the best of health.
gaeleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2018, 03:01 AM   #20
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Beautiful watch and great write up. Enjoy it in good health!
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2018, 06:51 AM   #21
Vvillie
"TRF" Member

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Vvillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2018, 02:29 AM   #22
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
What a beautiful watch. I want to try a white dial watch one day...

Great review

schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 01:44 AM   #23
Cheld
"TRF" Member

Good to see someone buying well-proportioned watches rather than the modern "hockey pucks" :-)
Cheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 04:53 AM   #24
wickets
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 76200
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
What a beautiful watch. I want to try a white dial watch one day...

Great review

be careful. in the wrong light they can be to read
wickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2018, 09:14 PM   #25
torrente
"TRF" Member

My Rolex collection is going to grow in a few weeks, I have this on the safe waiting for my birthday, seems a good companion to the DJ and the Explorer:
Old 26 June 2018, 09:32 PM   #26
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Good stuff glad you’re enjoying your DJ
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 07:38 AM   #27
KevWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 and 126621
Great review, love the classic DJ36. Fluted bezel & jubilee make it unmistakably Rolex.

Would you say the fluted bezel makes the watch look more substantial? As opposed to a DJ36 with a smooth bezel which I found to look a little small on my wrist.
KevWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 05:12 AM   #28
idutchman
"TRF" Member

Perfect
idutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2018, 05:21 AM   #29
torrente
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWatch View Post
Great review, love the classic DJ36. Fluted bezel & jubilee make it unmistakably Rolex.

Would you say the fluted bezel makes the watch look more substantial? As opposed to a DJ36 with a smooth bezel which I found to look a little small on my wrist.
I really can not say, I tried smooth and fluted before purchasing and my decision was based in that I liked the fluted as classic and assuming that it is hiding scratches a bit more.
But thinking on it makes sense that the fluted could look bigger.
Old 30 June 2018, 02:05 AM   #30
Rocco Contini
"TRF" Member

What a beautiful watch and great review! You're really making me consider to expand my rolly collection... might have to wait for my next paycheck to do so tho
Rocco Contini is offline   Reply With Quote