The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 June 2018, 10:56 AM   #1
dmash
"TRF" Member

Lenovo Thinkpad Owners

Anybody own/are users of Thinkpads? I know sometimes they have a bit of a cult following, figured I would see if anybody on TRF is fond of them.

Long story short, I've owned 3 generations of MBP at all the 'big' events. 2008 for the first aluminum, 2012 for the first retina, and 2016 for the complete redesign. At this point, I'm honestly over them, as I think they've really dropped the ball with the latest iteration. I owned the newest model since release, and my wife still has hers, so I have a ton of experience with them before I drew this conclusion. I'm actually pondering converting from my iPhone over so a Samsung at their next release as well.

Anywho, I ordered a T480s w/ the following main components:

Processor
i7-8550u
Display Type
14.0" WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS anti-glare
Memory
16 GB DDR4 2400MHz
Hard Drive
512 GB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB

Pretty excited about the change. Any experience/current owners?
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 01:38 PM   #2
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
I’ve used them over the years for work. I had an (I think) x20 IBM smaller size one that was awesome. Last Lenovo was probably from 2003 or so. I had it pried from my hands in 2012 as we had switched to HP and they were not cool. Also not cool was the size- I asked for a similar small one and got a larger than normal one... I stopped traveling with it! There! How ya like them apples!

No longer working there and don’t miss the HP.

Working on an older Lenovo now- not sure of the model but it’s been fine.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
HP really stepped up in the past 2-years and their laptops, convertibles, 2-and-ones are very appealing. The old stuff was... well... not something to be proud of.

There are other options too. I have a Surface (gen after Pro 4), and it's been great. Has enough power for productivity and I can use it like a tablet when I'm relaxing.

My work computer is a MacBook Pro 15.4. I enjoy that as well. Stay away from MacBook Air.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:59 PM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Personally I think your best bet would be to google comparisons with like machines of different brands. Sometimes this can be difficult with newer machines but still I think it maybe your best bet. Also you might want to locate a computer forum with a sub forum for Lenovo.

When it comes to laptops a number of brands have had their share of good and bad years. Lenovo used to be owned by IBM awhile ago and were probably one of the better and more expensive line of laptops you could buy. Not long after that I wouldn’t want one if you gave it to me for free. This has been awhile however, and it’s very possible they are now making some very fine machines.

Also not unlike anything else even a good company can put out a bad model from time to time.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 09:59 PM   #5
ecdc
"TRF" Member

I have used Thinkpads since 1994. My first was a 486SX/25 with a black&white screen. I just replaced my most recent Thinkpad. For the first time ever, I went with a Dell. an XPS 15 9560. i7, 512gb SSD, 16gb RAM. Why? primarily the screen. The screen on this the XPS 15 is far, far superior to the Thinkpad. Especially calibrated. Also, the XPS 15 was less expensive and felt nicer -- it even has a real carbon fiber all around the keyboard. It's worth looking into Thinkpad competitors. The landscape has changed and I think you can do as well or better for similar or less money.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:40 PM   #6
mfer
"TRF" Member

I use a Lenovo for work and absolutely can’t stand it. The keyboard layout is different. Why would they do this? Other than that it is just another windows machine. Really surprised you want to move away from Mac. I do both and much prefer the Mac. Mac is also easier to maintain in my humble opinion.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:42 PM   #7
mfer
"TRF" Member

Also, work isn’t renewing contract with Lenovo next year due to some complication with Windows 10. So even my work isn’t liking them!
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:50 PM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Pardon my ignorance but what are the +/- over iPads which are all I’ve ever used and love.

Partly due to the compatibility with my iPhone.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:55 PM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what are the +/- over iPads which are all I’ve ever used and love.

Partly due to the compatibility with my iPhone.
- IPads aren't really workstations. True you can now get pens and keyboards but IPads aren't really workstations for things like word processing and spreadsheets.

+ The4y're still the best pads going. For me they're still extremely great mobile devices for browsing the internet and checking email.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 11:03 PM   #10
dmash
"TRF" Member

Just for the record here, we're only talking about the business line of Lenovo's notebooks..... Thinkpads. I do not care to compare or talk about regular Lenovo products, they are not the same, whatsoever.
Old 21 June 2018, 11:05 PM   #11
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdc View Post
I have used Thinkpads since 1994. My first was a 486SX/25 with a black&white screen. I just replaced my most recent Thinkpad. For the first time ever, I went with a Dell. an XPS 15 9560. i7, 512gb SSD, 16gb RAM. Why? primarily the screen. The screen on this the XPS 15 is far, far superior to the Thinkpad. Especially calibrated. Also, the XPS 15 was less expensive and felt nicer -- it even has a real carbon fiber all around the keyboard. It's worth looking into Thinkpad competitors. The landscape has changed and I think you can do as well or better for similar or less money.
I agree, Thinkpad screens have never been a strong point. However the HDR 500nit display on the new X1 is considered one of the best in the biz. I wanted a matte screen though, therefore I settled on the 1440p WQHD.

Also, I find Dell keyboards to be an abomination, so that was a hard pass for me.
Old 22 June 2018, 06:07 AM   #12
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
I use a few different models at work, they're fine.

However, if you still have the 2012 MacBook Pro, I would go back to that. They are the last good model and can run anything you throw at it. I'm currently looking to buy one used.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 06:32 AM   #13
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I use a few different models at work, they're fine.

However, if you still have the 2012 MacBook Pro, I would go back to that. They are the last good model and can run anything you throw at it. I'm currently looking to buy one used.
I was pondering one of the 15" MBP 2015 models, the last one.

How Apple doesn't realize they made a MASSIVE screw up, with the new MBP models, is beyond me. Are they seriously that dumb to not understand, they are needing to keep the 2015 15", a three year old computer, which is ages in the computer world, still for sale on their normal webpage because so many people don't want the new models.
Old 22 June 2018, 07:55 AM   #14
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I have a P50 for work...it’s garbage and weighs more than a ton of bricks
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 11:03 AM   #15
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Forgot to update this while at my computer...

I think I have a T420 at work. Power switch broke do I had to rip the plastic off to get to the switch. Otherwise it seems fine. Does run a bit hot however.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 10:48 PM   #16
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Congratulations. I am sure you will enjoy it. I have a Carbon X1 I bought this past fall and love it

ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th edition
i7 - 7600 2.9GHz
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro
1 TB SSD

I've been using ThinkPad for years and they keep getting better for me.

I bought a couple for my friend last year and he loves them. He's an electrician and runs his business with them. (Labor for laptops)
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 10:56 PM   #17
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Lenovo Thinkpad Owners

Also, I have bought some used/ refurbished ones as well. Here is a link for discounts if your interested. I get nothing from this, just sharing the discount. This from an email I just triggered them to send me...

Hi! I thought you might be interested in these special offers from IBM. Simply click on the link below to see the latest special offers from the IBM US Contractor Purchase Program. You can enjoy the same 20% discount that IBM contractors receive. Just use access code 906030 to access the IBM Contractor Purchase program. If you have questions, please call 1(888) SHOPIBM, option 1, x8733.

(Sorry, I had to edit this and remove the link. It wasn't working. If I get a new link next week I'll post it)
Romeojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2018, 11:54 PM   #18
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Will you be able to handle Windows? Have you tried it recently?

I couldn't stand to leave Mac.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 05:36 AM   #19
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
I use a thinkpad at work, hooked to three monitors. Been very solid, much better than hp, runs win10. At home is a MBP, running boot camp. I have always said, macs make the best windows computers.

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 06:05 AM   #20
Boothroyd

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Standard issue at work, along with Apple. The current Lenovo has been so stable, I choose to continue with it to keep up with Microsoft's OS. I am Apple all the way for personal use.
Old 24 June 2018, 07:56 AM   #21
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I use one for work. Have an identical docking station in both locations work great.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 08:09 AM   #22
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
I gave a thinkpad x210 12” to my girlfriend as a present and she’s totally happy with it for 3+years now . I liked it myself very much but decided to go with Dell xps 13 as they have Ubuntu preinstalled. Both are very nice hardware-wise and have matt screens that are easy on the eyes. I like XPS13 much better than the Mac Air 13.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2018, 10:26 AM   #23
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
I had a T430 for a few years and now am on a T460 for the last 2 years and have been happy with both. It's my business laptop and it sees lots of use. I probably clip it in and out of a docking station 10 times a day while in the office and it's seen a lot of travel and I've never had any performance or reliability issues.

Some of my co-workers have the same T460 and beat the hell of theirs more than I do and we collectively have had no problems except maybe a battery issue on 1 of them which was solved with a replacement battery.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 05:13 AM   #24
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I actually like my new MBP 15; however, I know some don't. For work I (if I'm unable to get another MBP). I will be steering towards a Dell XPS 15 w/ 512 SSD and 4k display.

I have never liked the feel of Lenovo's keyboard, I used them in the past, they're just weird.
Raypep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2018, 06:05 AM   #25
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

When I worked for a big firm, we used them, T60, etc. I never seemed to have much luck with them and neither does my wife who works for a huge software company. She has an X1 Carbon and it has lasted about 4 years which isn't bad, but it's had problems along the way. My company now we use a hodge podge of machines and i have a Dell now, which has been great in comparison to the Thinkpads I had in the past. Makes me think I was likely always given refurbished machines back then or something....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2018, 09:22 AM   #26
dmash
"TRF" Member

Well long story short, my order got cancelled due to stock issues, so I’m back to square one, lol.

Pondering an X1 Carbon/i7-8550u/16GB RAM/512GB SSD now
Old 27 June 2018, 09:23 AM   #27
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Will you be able to handle Windows? Have you tried it recently?

I couldn't stand to leave Mac.
Yeah I’m good, Apple’s entire ecosystem kind of bothers me now if I’m being honest.