The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 June 2018, 02:15 AM   #91
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I heartily agree you. I actually don’t really like T20 and I have watched England Test matches every Summer for 25 years and go to matches when I can. But most rational people think Test match cricket is insane. 5 days long and a result isn’t guaranteed?! A whole match can be rained off?! The players stop for tea?! Try selling that to an American.

T20 is the gateway ganja to the psychosis-inducing crack that is Test cricket. Actually that is a terrible metaphor, but you get the idea.
Sorry, I think I gave the wrong impression, I agree with you on the T20 or one day game for those wanting to get into the game. I also think that you are right about a draw and a game getting rained off. But a good test can go one way then the other and build up into a fabulous climax. I don't know how many times I have come back from work to see that England have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sorry if I didnt make myself clear before, you were right, I would have said the same thing if you hadn't said it first.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 02:18 AM   #92
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Sorry, I think I gave the wrong impression, I agree with you on the T20 or one day game for those wanting to get into the game. I also think that you are right about a draw and a game getting rained off. But a good test can go one way then the other and build up into a fabulous climax. I don't know how many times I have come back from work to see that England have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Sorry if I didnt make myself clear before, you were right, I would have said the same thing if you hadn't said it first.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 02:45 AM   #93
mrs_LA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
any dark horse teams to look out for? Trying to find someone to root for in the absence of the U.S.
Everyone's been having a laugh at England for a while now, but I feel like the team has matured throughout the years. Far from the days with Becks, Terry, Lamps, etc. but up and coming youngsters for sure.
mrs_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 02:53 AM   #94
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
You do know the cruelest of things to say to a Leeds fan.

Having said that, he was a fabulous player when he was at Leeds, but, I have to say, he went up so many levels when he went to you. I loved watching him, no matter where he was.
Before we get carried away we must remember, Dave, we are actually talking about a Frenchman.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 03:00 AM   #95
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_LA View Post
Everyone's been having a laugh at England for a while now, but I feel like the team has matured throughout the years. Far from the days with Becks, Terry, Lamps, etc. but up and coming youngsters for sure.
I quite like Gareth Southgate too, and the preparation has been pretty good with the younger players coming along well and hopefully they will play with some freedom and abandon, in the past the players either seemed too rich and not bothered, or too scared and timid.
Old 14 June 2018, 03:03 AM   #96
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The problem with rating Pele is that none of us have really seen anything of his play beyond a few seconds of old video footage. The problem with judging him on his record is he scored a large number of his goals in low quality league football.

To use an Americanism I’m going to throw a curveball. Scratch that, I’ll use an English equivalent - I’m going to bowl you a Googly.

The best player I’ve seen with my own eyes is Ronaldo. Not the Portuguese poser Cristiano (and don’t get me wrong, he’s an all time great) but Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima - Brazilian Ronaldo. He was at his peak in the years prior to the ‘98 World Cup and he had absolutely everything in his armoury - he was quick, powerful, could dribble through teams, was great on the ball and had laser accuracy in front of goal. His overall record is great despite his many injuries but they robbed him of the best years of his career. Had he gone injury free throughout his time I think he’d be regarded as the undisputed best of all time. That is of course, speculation, but he was a sensational player at his best. C. Ronaldo and Messi have consistency and longevity over him, but not talent IMO.

Oh and Maradona >>>>>>> Pele ;)
I'd agree with that Ronaldo, when he was younger he looked like a world beater, but then that notorious 98 final, when he was France's best player, lol, and then injuries meant he didn't live up to his potential which was considerable. Dribbling at speed is still probably the greatest skill.
Old 14 June 2018, 03:08 AM   #97
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Before we get carried away we must remember, Dave, we are actually talking about a Frenchman.
Now that is funny, I nearly choked.

Still laughing.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 03:24 AM   #98
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
I'd agree with that Ronaldo, when he was younger he looked like a world beater, but then that notorious 98 final, when he was France's best player, lol, and then injuries meant he didn't live up to his potential which was considerable. Dribbling at speed is still probably the greatest skill.
Also - how can anyone not like his haircut?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ronaldo.jpg (30.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 14 June 2018, 04:43 AM   #99
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Hope no one flops on the field!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 1.39.58 PM copy.jpg (131.8 KB, 83 views)
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 06:26 AM   #100
Castlesinthesky
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
any dark horse teams to look out for? Trying to find someone to root for in the absence of the U.S.

Belgium might be a good side to follow for a neutral.
Castlesinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 06:35 AM   #101
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
Hope no one flops on the field!
Flopping seems to be an issue in a number of sports, not just soccer. I've also seen some gruesome injuries in soccer - so I dare say it's likely not as your picture describes.
Old 14 June 2018, 08:03 AM   #102
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I never much liked watching soccar on tv and the whole flopping thing is just rediculous. However I have attended 3 or 4 World Cup matches and enjoyed the whole experience and excitement.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 10:31 AM   #103
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Also - how can anyone not like his haircut?
If you play as well as he did, he gets a pass!

How are you guys watching the World Cup at work?
I signed up for youtube tv in the USA and work allows access to youtube

If that fails, got the youtube tv app on the phone.

Love the World Cup- you can enjoy the top teams but also cheer on the teams from other countries that aren't historically powerhouses. It's always inspiring to see an entire nation unify and bond over the sport.

How about any World Cup ads?
This is my favorite one I've seen so far... but I think its gonna be nothing but heartache for Argentina... since anything less than completely winning it is gonna be seen as a failure.

https://youtu.be/D4fT9vpzKq8
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 10:53 AM   #104
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post

Love the World Cup- you can enjoy the top teams but also cheer on the teams from other countries that aren't historically powerhouses. It's always inspiring to see an entire nation unify and bond over the sport.

This is my favorite one I've seen so far... but I think its gonna be nothing but heartache for Argentina... since anything less than completely winning it is gonna be seen as a failure.

If Argentina doesn't win the world cup, it will be seen as a failure by Messi fans worldwide. Just like if Portugal doesn't win, it will be seen as a failure by Ronaldo fans worldwide. For all the years to come in the future, this will always be held over them.......'he wasnt the greatest because he didn't win a WC'. You see the same thing in every sport. If you don't win the greatest prize, even in a team sport, people will always say you were lacking something to be the 'greatest'.

What kind of sucks, is there can only be one winner, neither country is considered a fore runner to win, and this is the last real hoorah for both of them.

This is modern history in the making to be honest. An entire era of football was defined by those two. This will be the last world cup you see them play (to their fullest anyways, Messi may be back at 35, but he definitely wouldn't be in top form by then).

Enjoy it boys, it's been quite a show to see those two play during the same years, having such different styles. Considered yourselves honored to see such talent, a lot of people won't admit just how good they are until they're retired.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2018, 10:57 AM   #105
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
If Argentina doesn't win the world cup, it will be seen as a failure by Messi fans worldwide. Just like if Portugal doesn't win, it will be seen as a failure by Ronaldo fans worldwide. For all the years to come in the future, this will always be held over them.......'he wasnt the greatest because he didn't win a WC'. You see the same thing in every sport. If you don't win the greatest prize, even in a team sport, people will always say you were lacking something to be the 'greatest'.

What kind of sucks, is there can only be one winner, neither country is considered a fore runner to win, and this is the last real hoorah for both of them.

This is modern history in the making to be honest. An entire era of football was defined by those two. This will be the last world cup you see them play (to their fullest anyways, Messi may be back at 35, but he definitely wouldn't be in top form by then).
Well put! Let the games begin. And let the beer flow
Old 14 June 2018, 01:43 PM   #106
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
Ok , how do you think this will affect the team overall in the
tournament now Mark ? Positive or negative, I read the players
pulled for him to stay through the World Cup!
Hi Mario
I don't know. Does anyone know ? We had our coach fired mid-season which is unheard of unless deliberate issues arise. The team did not respond well at all. UNLV screwed the pooch with that mess and hasn't recovered
Old 14 June 2018, 08:56 PM   #107
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post

I started this about Messi but maybe I was being a bit harsh as he did play well in the last WC and scored 5 I think it was and a couple of crackers, so he wasn't absent, but winning a WC or the Euros just makes so much difference to your legacy.

Germany's demolition of Brazil in Brazil was incredible, hope this WC will be as dramatic.

The '16 Euros was full of giant killing, esp from Wales and Iceland. I'll be backing Iceland as my outsiders as I'm a Minnesota Viking and we now share the awesome Thunderclap, almost worth half a goal.
Old 15 June 2018, 12:06 AM   #108
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Less than an hour left til kickoff
Old 15 June 2018, 01:16 AM   #109
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Great Thursday!!!!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 01:16 AM   #110
GerardoG
Banned

Club. Watching open ceremony and first match with my kids

Old 15 June 2018, 01:17 AM   #111
GerardoG
Banned

Snack...

Old 15 June 2018, 01:19 AM   #112
GerardoG
Banned

And some breakfast

Old 15 June 2018, 01:59 AM   #113
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Great! Good match so far - tough break for Dzagoev
Old 15 June 2018, 02:01 AM   #114
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Great counter-attack and superb finish for the second goal.

Anything that keeps the Russian fans happy is a good thing
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2018, 02:13 AM   #115
dmash
"TRF" Member

less food more football, thanks

Quote:
Great counter-attack and superb finish for the second goal.

Anything that keeps the Russian fans happy is a good thing
oh god, a riot already in the group stages? lol
Old 15 June 2018, 02:24 AM   #116
dmash
"TRF" Member

I had this game Russia 2 Saudi 0 on my mock bracket, can I finish the day at 100% ?!?!

EDIT: I UNDERESTIMATED THE TENACITY OF THE RUSSIANS
Old 15 June 2018, 02:52 AM   #117
dmash
"TRF" Member

Russland going to be on a HIGH tonight, what a goal! What a great opening show for the host country.

EDIT: MY GOD WILL THEY STOP ALREADY? 5-0>!?
Old 15 June 2018, 03:16 AM   #118
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Russland going to be on a HIGH tonight, what a goal! What a great opening show for the host country.

EDIT: MY GOD WILL THEY STOP ALREADY? 5-0>!?
They think they are Germany in Brazil!
Old 15 June 2018, 03:17 AM   #119
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They think they are Germany in Brazil!

Old 15 June 2018, 03:25 AM   #120
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had this game Russia 2 Saudi 0 on my mock bracket, can I finish the day at 100% ?!?!

EDIT: I UNDERESTIMATED THE TENACITY OF THE RUSSIANS
I had them 2-0 as well in the Predictor. Just a bit off