The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 June 2018, 08:23 AM   #1
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Would you still tip when restaurants start to pay full minimum wage?

If so, would you still be inclined to tip at the “standard” 15-20% rate? Why or why not?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.43506fd32038
Old 22 June 2018, 08:46 AM   #2
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e88576a9bafc

Food for thought.
Old 22 June 2018, 08:50 AM   #3
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Would you still tip when restaurants start to pay full minimum wage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post

Why do people keep making this conversation on 77 about minimum wage alone? That's not what this is really about, it's specific to the restaurant industry and how these people earn a living. Most will earn way more than $15/hr as professional bartenders/servers.

And yes, I still would since I worked in that business all of my high school and college years. But I think there are many cheapskates out there who will not that do not understand these people would normally make more than $15/hr with the old model. So prices in restaurants go up, they lean out staff and people stop eating out as much. Everyone loses.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...614&j=82263181

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 08:51 AM   #4
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Depends how they price their food and the value that is present.

If they have good food at a reasonable price and the service is good I would still tip even if the server was being paid a full minimum wage.

To be honest the fact that servers are paid a lower wage now never crosses my mind. I am a 100% commissioned salesperson. If I suck at my job I don’t get paid. So if someone else sucks at their job I don’t have a problem with them not getting paid.

The experiment in dining that I find intriguing is the one in NYC where a restaurateur has decided to make the front and back of the house all on the same page by eliminating tipping so the server is not punished by kitchen mistakes.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
Yeah, sure. Hard to live on minimum wage...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Floorguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
I will “ALWAYS TIP”!! I married a waitress 33 years ago,and still together. I know first hand how hard they work, and all the BS they put up with! Bad service gets standard tip, others get well above average! But that’s just me!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 09:13 AM   #7
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post

The point against it is that they make more than minimum wage now....

Old 22 June 2018, 09:13 AM   #8
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post

Isn't that motivation to better oneself and look for a better paying job..?
Not saying that waiting tables is easy but... To simply say "you need to pay me more because I can't pay my rent" sounds pretty entitled.
Old 22 June 2018, 09:17 AM   #9
ChipClip2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603/16570/116264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorguy View Post
I will “ALWAYS TIP”!! I married a waitress 33 years ago,and still together. I know first hand how hard they work, and all the BS they put up with! Bad service gets standard tip, others get well above average! But that’s just me!
Exactly this. I can only recall once instance where I didn't leave a tip at all, and that was only because the service was truly abysmal to the point where we never even received our food. Otherwise, the vast majority of people in the service industry work hard and deserve to earn a living wage.
ChipClip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 09:26 AM   #10
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I will, always have been a generous tipper. However, if service lacks I will discount the tip in a heartbeat.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 09:28 AM   #11
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Absolutely not. That's like tipping 20% in Germany, not happening.

However, I'd still round up a couple bucks or 8-10% depending on a couple of factors. and I say this, having worked as a Bellman, Valet Parker and Bartender from 18-24. What's so funny though, is if you're good at your job, you don't WANT it to change. You pull down WAY more cash making tons of tips and hardly any 'real' salary.

Same as you and agree that's what people here I know in the DC area have a beef with. When I was in this business during my college years and you tell me I will make $15/hr but no tips, I would tell you to get lost. I was making more money than I knew what to do with back then, way more than $15/hr! Professional service people can make a decent living on their tip based earnings and in swoops the government trying to "save" them while literally screwing everyone including those they are trying to help. And those voting for this likely do not really understand since they never stepped foot in this business, like many here probably as well.....

Last edited by Lol-x; 22 June 2018 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Profanity is not allowed.
Old 22 June 2018, 09:49 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Tipping in most cases is basically subsidizing the business that is so sleazy it won’t pay their employees.

If they can’t afford to pay people a proper wage get out of that business. Some other business will pick up the slack.

Trash like Papa Johns makes millions in profits yet whines about paying a proper wage saying they will have layoffs or go out of business.

Paying a proper wage will not stop people from eating out and people will still tip for good service.

Minimum wage and tipping are not an either or proposition. Nobody is going to stop tipping because minimum wages go up.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 09:56 AM   #13
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
The point against it is that they make more than minimum wage now....

No that’s not the point. The point is minimum wage is their base salary and tips are extra for good service.

Much like some sales positions, base salary plus commissions for selling lots of product.

Right now the consumer is subsidizing the business by paying its employees. If companies don’t know how to run a profitable business and still pay their people, do something else.
Old 22 June 2018, 09:57 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
If so, would you still be inclined to tip at the “standard” 15-20% rate? Why or why not?
yes.

and if tips are pooled, i'll only give a pooled tip if everything was satisfactory, from walking in - to leaving.

if the food sucked, but service was good, i'll give the server cash and tell them nobody saw nothing and to pocket it.

if the food was great but the server sucked, i'll give it to the the kitchen staff personally.

pooled tips with the house and manager getting more than deserved is double dip BS in the food service biz.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 10:03 AM   #15
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
No that’s not the point. The point is minimum wage is their base salary and tips are extra for good service.

Much like some sales positions, base salary plus commissions for selling lots of product.

Right now the consumer is subsidizing the business by paying its employees. If companies don’t know how to run a profitable business and still pay their people, do something else.

Problem then is, is that people aren't going to tip as much (or at all) and they make less money as a result. Not to mention we will see higher prices as the customer, the restaurant will lean out its staff (likely cutting bus boys and roles they could do without possibly) and the service team makes less money. How is that a winning proposition again? Read the article I posted above.

Old 22 June 2018, 10:06 AM   #16
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Minimum wage and tipping are not an either or proposition. Nobody is going to stop tipping because minimum wages go up.

Yeah they are and yes they will. You ever work in the restaurant business?

Old 22 June 2018, 10:14 AM   #17
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
lol no.

with that logic, on a $100 bill, that I was sitting at the resturant for 1 hour, you're telling me their 'tip' was $20/hour, JUST for my table, when they probably have 3-4? you're telling me that you think a server should get an EXTRA $60-$80 an hour for simply 'doing a good job' every day they work? does said server haver their M.D. too? Who in the world should go to college and become say an engineer, when you can make MORE money JUST on tips, by becoming a server in 2 weeks.

a tip in a restaurant is not a 'tip for extra service' it's part of their salary. any service worker knows this.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 10:16 AM   #18
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
lol no.

with that logic, on a $100 bill, that I was sitting at the resturant for 1 hour, you're telling me their 'tip' was $20/hour, JUST for my table, when they probably have 3-4? add minimum wage to that, and you're talking about a server pulling in $80-$100/hour.

does said server haver their MD too?

a tip is not a 'tip for extra service' it's part of their salary. any service worker knows this.

He spoke like someone who literally never lifted a finger in the business. Nor does he comprehend that the restaurant is not going to just eat the additional $10+/hr wage they will have to pay these servers. So prices go up and people have to tip on top of higher menu prices? Yeah....that's gonna go over well.

Old 22 June 2018, 10:16 AM   #19
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah they are and yes they will. You ever work in the restaurant business?

People that actually work in said settings, practically ALWAYS agree with you and I. Only the lazy ones and/or people who never have worked in the setting would disagree.
Old 22 June 2018, 10:18 AM   #20
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He spoke like someone who literally never lifted a finger in the business. Nor does he comprehend that the restaurant is not going to just eat the additional $10+/hr wage they will have to pay these servers. So prices go up and people have to tip on top of higher menu prices? Yeah....that's gonna go over well.

Everybody wants to act like that won't happen. Haha yeah, that restaurant you've frequented with your wife, where your bill is consistently $80, and you give a $15 tip to make it $95. Now, with the new laws, that same meal just jumped up 20% to $95. I'm sure that you're going to pay the higher menu price and still add a 20% tip, so now your $95 meal is $115, for the exact same food, service and everything. Yeah, that will go over real smooth and people would just fork over another $20 as if nothing has changed
Old 22 June 2018, 10:18 AM   #21
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

But tipping is unheard of in many countries. I once left a tip at a restaurant in Japan because the service was absolutely outstanding -- which is the norm over there. I had left the restaurant less than a minute that I hear running behind me.. I turn around and it's the waiter with the money I had left on the table ("forgot" on the table he said)..
Old 22 June 2018, 10:23 AM   #22
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman8 View Post
But tipping is unheard of in many countries. I once left a tip at a restaurant in Japan because the service was absolutely outstanding -- which is the norm over there. I had left the restaurant less than a minute that I hear running behind me.. I turn around and it's the waiter with the money I had left on the table ("forgot" on the table he said)..
Rounding up is usually the norm in most places.
Old 22 June 2018, 10:53 AM   #23
Gentleman8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rounding up is usually the norm in most places.
Not in Asia. Or Australia. Or Africa.
Old 22 June 2018, 10:56 AM   #24
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman8 View Post
Not in Asia. Or Australia. Or Africa.
Honestly I disagree. I know plenty of frequent travelers and 'rounding up' is utilized by all of them. Asian countries, Australia.....when you're talking about 0.1-2% and you're carrying around the local currency in cash, it's absolutely common. It's not rude and if anything it's easier for you. I would never go to a restaurant, something costs $49.18, give $50 and want those cents back. or get a drink for $3.82 and want change back on my $4. I don't mean a round up of 10% or something large....
Old 22 June 2018, 11:03 AM   #25
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Problem then is, is that people aren't going to tip as much (or at all) and they make less money as a result. Not to mention we will see higher prices as the customer, the restaurant will lean out its staff (likely cutting bus boys and roles they could do without possibly) and the service team makes less money. How is that a winning proposition again? Read the article I posted above.

I think they didn’t find any of that in Seattle or Portland when they raised it. Businesses stayed in business, people still tip, and there weren’t layoffs.

It think what you say is just a scare tactic used by greedy business.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:12 AM   #26
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Tipping in most cases is basically subsidizing the business that is so sleazy it won’t pay their employees.

If they can’t afford to pay people a proper wage get out of that business. Some other business will pick up the slack.

Trash like Papa Johns makes millions in profits yet whines about paying a proper wage saying they will have layoffs or go out of business.

Paying a proper wage will not stop people from eating out and people will still tip for good service.

It's easy to spend other people's money.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 11:28 AM   #27
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I would bet the whole evolution of this tipping to support your service businesses in North America came about from businesses seeing that their employees were making money with the tips and they decided to keep wages down and encourage people to tip higher and higher as the years went on.

Now hotels expect you to tip housekeeping. Seriously, pay them a decent wage and maybe cut your CEOs bonus.
Old 22 June 2018, 11:47 AM   #28
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I have to pay my employees, why do restaurants rely on customers to pay theirs? And customers are shamed if they don’t. I’m in the wrong racket. That being said, I tip because I’m blessed with more than I need and don’t mind sharing a little.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:08 PM   #29
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
If a business pays their employees fairly, and maintains a sensible oversight to ensure that they do their job properly, where is the need for tipping.
In Australia, workers in Service Industries are paid fairly by law, based on "Award Wage" or Collective bargaining agreements which ensure a "living wage".
Customers can choose to tip if they feel so inclined but it is neither expected nor required. I always round up to the nearest/easiest amount but rarely tip.
It all works just fine.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:16 PM   #30
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
That being said, I tip because I’m blessed with more than I need and don’t mind sharing a little.

So you tip because you can, not because they provided you good service? So the restaurant should pay them a higher rate, you pay nothing for their service and the servers themselves make less money at the end of the night? Whaat?

On an average night as my days as a bartender, I would walk out with $300-$400. That was an 8 hour shift or so, pretty simple math which is way above $15/hr, which didn't even include my hourly rate. How this all does not make sense to people is beyond me.