The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 November 2015, 10:14 PM   #1
thomlad54
"TRF" Member

Does Rolex have a Lemon Policy?

Hello All
I posted about my now 4 month old GMT II running very slow. Well it turned it it was stopping, even though it was fully wound. I took it to RSC in NY and they took the watch for 2 weeks and were able to see that the watch did in fact stop at times. They didn't find a specific problem so they did a full service on the watch. That was about 3 weeks ago. It had been running great but yesterday it stopped again.
My question is would Rolex give me a new watch, as this one is obviously a lemon? I asked last time and they said no, that's why I have a 5 year warranty.
Thanks for your input.

Thom
thomlad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2015, 10:22 PM   #2
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Never had issues with any of my Rolex watches and haven't heard of replacements.
I did have an AP 15300 replaced for a new one just two weeks after purchase due to a stuck date wheel.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2015, 10:23 PM   #3
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I recently bought a steel YM2 from an AD and after taking it home I found that the red arrow seconds hand for the countdown timer didn't reset in a perfectly vertical position - it was off by a hair's breadth. With no questions asked, the AD swapped the watch for another one.

As I understood it, when a watch is now bought at an AD the warranty card has to be swiped in some gizmo which immediately transmits the sale to Rolex HQ in Switzerland. So I asked my AD about whether they would have to reverse the original sale with Rolex. She said no because it was a genuine defect and Rolex would take the watch back.

Not sure if ADs in your part of the world practice the same, but I would approach the store you bought the watch from for a new one.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2015, 10:47 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlad54 View Post
Hello All
I posted about my now 4 month old GMT II running very slow. Well it turned it it was stopping, even though it was fully wound. I took it to RSC in NY and they took the watch for 2 weeks and were able to see that the watch did in fact stop at times. They didn't find a specific problem so they did a full service on the watch. That was about 3 weeks ago. It had been running great but yesterday it stopped again.
My question is would Rolex give me a new watch, as this one is obviously a lemon? I asked last time and they said no, that's why I have a 5 year warranty.
Thanks for your input.

Thom
Is this the same GMT you bought back in July and reported it was running +1 second after 24 hours.Then you report it was loosing around 20 seconds a day but when tested by the RSC they could not find anything wrong.What are your wearing habits have you ever given your watch a full manual wind.When wearing are you reasonably active and not sat at a desk with little wrist movement???.Even if wearing its best to give a full manual wind once a week or so you keep main-spring at full power reserve.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2015, 11:34 PM   #5
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Sounds like to me you're running at the lower end of the power reserve. I manually wind my watch 40 turns every few days or at least once a week or so. The watch doesn't "wind" on your wrist, it just maintains the power reserve. So if you put the watch down for say 12hrs, you'll loose most of that time and eventually you'll be at the bottom running on whatever you generate yourself.
Old 23 November 2015, 12:00 AM   #6
thomlad54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Is this the same GMT you bought back in July and reported it was running +1 second after 24 hours.Then you report it was loosing around 20 seconds a day but when tested by the RSC they could not find anything wrong.What are your wearing habits have you ever given your watch a full manual wind.When wearing are you reasonably active and not sat at a desk with little wrist movement???.Even if wearing its best to give a full manual wind once a week or so you keep main-spring at full power reserve.
Yes the same GMT. I'm very active and the watch only comes off my wrist for showering and work ( I'm a fireman). I always give it a full wind every couple of days as well as before and after work (it's usually off my wrist for 24 hrs )
Old 23 November 2015, 12:14 AM   #7
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
Thom,

I'm no expert on the subject but I don't think companies have "Lemon Laws", it whether the state you live in has a "Lemon Law" and whether your problem fits that states particular criteria.

Some states are easier than others as to what qualifies for "Lemon Law" status.

If NY has a "Lemon Law" it should cover all items sold in the State of New York.
You should search NY's Lemon Laws.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 12:50 AM   #8
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
I believe the ny lemon laws only apply to vehicles and wheelchairs. I would try the ad and see what they say. If that doesn't work, try a watch winder for when you are at work to see if that makes a difference. Be safe out there and thank you for "running in when everyone else is running out".
ltmgeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 01:06 AM   #9
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

Rolex will make it right but you may be without a watch for a bit. Call them up and complain
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 02:04 AM   #10
arguetaoscar
"TRF" Member

Have you talked to the AD you bought it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arguetaoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 02:24 AM   #11
DPE
"TRF" Member

In Europe there is a law on warranty. Basically the item has to be 'Fit for purpose' first. If not then it would normally be exchanged or refunded. Then on the warranty side. If you accept a repair under warranty then you would be expected to resolve further matters the same way, a repair. If you feel the watch is 'Not fit for purpose' as it is not giving the time as per the factory spec. even after a warranty repair, then if you can prove this you may have a case to ask for an exchange or money back. Again this is what happens in Europe. Good luck on resolving the issue. Dave
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 05:10 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You have a warranty and Rolex is obligated to "make it right", although it is a nuisance to have to send a watch back and forth.

A manufacturer has rights too, and that is to repair or replace, at their discretion.

You say that "it stopped again" but that may not be related in any way to the previous problem. A Rolex will stop while you are wearing it if you are not active enough..

I have never known Rolex to not do what is necessary to satisfy the customer.

Last edited by Tools; 23 November 2015 at 07:27 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 06:36 AM   #13
IntegratedCheese
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I thought the movement winds the watch. Isn't that what watch winders do
IntegratedCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 08:09 AM   #14
Viv Savage
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, JLC
I'm no lawyer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (90.3 KB, 333 views)
Old 23 November 2015, 08:18 AM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlad54 View Post
My question is would Rolex give me a new watch
Call Rolex and ask!
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 08:22 AM   #16
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I would give he RSC another crack at it

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 08:38 AM   #17
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

The OP stated that Rolex confirmed that the watch did have a problem whilst in their possession at the service centre and stopped functioning, they keep them on winders. They have attempted to fix the watch and it seems to have stopped again. You will need to give them another opportunity to make it good. If after they have attempted repair the watch again fails to function properly, they should replace the movement, if they won't then you may need to pursue your rights more vigorously.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 10:02 AM   #18
thomlad54
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your replies. I will contact RSC.
Thom
Old 23 November 2015, 10:51 AM   #19
SpaceWanderer
Banned

I'll wager there's a problem with the hacking mechanism that occurs with all the manual winding. I never wind my watches unless they've stopped. Something seems to tweaking the stopping function, so take it back and go into detail about exactly how often you wind the watch. Just a guess, but I can't think of any other reason it would stop if everything else looks OK. Best of luck!
SpaceWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 11:24 AM   #20
thomlad54
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWanderer View Post
I'll wager there's a problem with the hacking mechanism that occurs with all the manual winding. I never wind my watches unless they've stopped. Something seems to tweaking the stopping function, so take it back and go into detail about exactly how often you wind the watch. Just a guess, but I can't think of any other reason it would stop if everything else looks OK. Best of luck!
I will mention this to them. Thank you
Thom
Old 23 November 2015, 11:35 AM   #21
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I understand this is disappointing but i am sure rolex will make this right. they are ocd about qa. i would just be positive, and let them take their time since i dont think they need to be motivated to take care of it.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2015, 11:58 AM   #22
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
If you don't get any luck with RSC or your AD, write a letter (it's a nut-ache, I know) to Geneva as I did with my Cyclops issue. They will respond and I would be absolutely amazed if they didn't put it right.

Good luck and keep us posted

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote