The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 August 2018, 04:11 PM   #1
mathiasviva
"TRF" Member

When was movement 3035 released?

Hello
I have a question that i cant seem to find an answer to.
From reading various threads I have understood that the 3035 movement was released in 1977, replacing the 1570. The biggest notable difference being the introduction of quickset.
However, I have just aquired a Datejust 16013 with a serial starting at 444, dating it back to 1976, with a 3035 movement. I have also found several old ads online with -76 16013's with quickset and 3035 movement.
My question is however the 3035 was released earlier than -77 or if these 16013 references has been replaced with newer movements.
mathiasviva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:14 PM   #2
2024 Pledge Member

Edit: It's possible that your set came like that from the factory. While your 44xxxxx serial could be a service case, there's also the possibility that your watch was built as you found it. Serial numbers are approximations on years. The case on yours could have been left over and assembled in 1977 despite the "1976" serial range.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:15 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Your serial number indicates the watch has a service case.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:51 AM   #4
mathiasviva
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input guys

So in case of a service case, a new serial number would be given - that is in this case "dated" older than the original watch? Lets say the watch initially had a serial of 8xxxxxx, the case is for some reason switched to a replacement case at a RSC, the replacement is stamped 16013 on one side and has a older serial number on the other side that would normally be used for an older model? It seems a bit strange to me. Have this been the case before? I mean the older serial number should already have been in "use"?

In case the watch instead came this way from the factory because of left over stock of cases, that would mean that Rolex in production produces cases stamped with serial numbers but not model numbers and that the model number is added later, before assembly. That could be the case but also seems a little strange. (makes more sense that model number and serial number would be stamped at the same time, either during production or just before assembly)
Old 15 August 2018, 02:42 AM   #5
2024 Pledge Member

44xxxxx and 47xxxxx serials are used for service cases. The original serial is noted on the service paperwork but isn't transferred to the watch itself. So, if you don't have any papers with the watch then it's safe to say that yours is sitting inside a service case and the actual year of manufacture is unknown.

What threw me originally was that your watch happened to fall into the 1976-1977 range and has a 3035 movement. It's more logical that it's a later build and the case was replaced at some point.

Do you have any paperwork for it?
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:08 AM   #6
mathiasviva
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
44xxxxx and 47xxxxx serials are used for service cases. The original serial is noted on the service paperwork but isn't transferred to the watch itself. So, if you don't have any papers with the watch then it's safe to say that yours is sitting inside a service case and the actual year of manufacture is unknown.

What threw me originally was that your watch happened to fall into the 1976-1977 range and has a 3035 movement. It's more logical that it's a later build and the case was replaced at some point.

Do you have any paperwork for it?
Aah, in that case it makes perfect sense. I had no idea the 44xxxxx serial numbers were reserved for service cases. I dont have the paperwork. Most likely the watch is then from around 84, to which year the bracelet is dated.
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge

A picture of the watch i picked up yesterday