The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2019, 08:35 PM   #1
forzagto
"TRF" Member

Negotiating with AD

I met with my local AD about special ordering a green face Daytona 116508. It would require a 50% deposit and probably at least 6 month wait, both of which I am fine about. For a limited production watch like this is it bad taste to try and negotiate price at all, at least even to try and get it for $34k net of taxes or something? My goal is also to build a relationship with the AD to get an Aquanaut next so don’t want to rub them the wrong way.
forzagto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 08:42 PM   #2
nick800
"TRF" Member

I doubt this one piece will get you an Aquanaut
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 08:44 PM   #3
tomallen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SubC,GMTIIC
I think the days of price consideration or a discount are over. You may get a small discount on an in stock slow mover.
Old 21 April 2019, 08:45 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I agree the 5167 will still be hard to get, ask the AD sincerely if this will get you one and if you believe his and his manager's answer then I would pay full retail.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 08:54 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagto View Post
I met with my local AD about special ordering a green face Daytona 116508. It would require a 50% deposit and probably at least 6 month wait, both of which I am fine about. For a limited production watch like this is it bad taste to try and negotiate price at all, at least even to try and get it for $34k net of taxes or something? My goal is also to build a relationship with the AD to get an Aquanaut next so don’t want to rub them the wrong way.
Speaking for myself would never pay 50% upfront on any watch, and cannot see why a green dial 116508 would take 6 months to get.And why do you think its a limited production watch, made in smaller numbers perhaps.As for asking for a discount they will either say yes or no, this relationship with any AD is way over internet hyped. Unfortunately like many of the so called hard to get Rolex watches and the 5167 on the grey market there are hundreds of them for-sale to those willing to pay.And while there are those willing to pay these crazy prices afraid the trend will continue as many today just bought and flipped hopefully for profit.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just special ordered the same watch with my AD. They took a 50% deposit and quoted a shorter waiting period. His rep stated there are NONE available in the US. Once they hit the US, they will start distributing amongst AD's. The watch is a harder to get watch as MOST AD's are only getting 1-2 a year if that. True or not that's all I have heard. The watch did gain some recent attention which made it even more in demand. I believe it as there aren't that many grey dealers with this watch (obviously some for sale in US but nothing under 40k). Theres a few online NIB however in different countries.

As far as discount goes, imo it never hurts to ask "what's the best price you can offer this watch to me". It's not insulting or aggressive, purely a question. PM's use to get discounted 10-20% deepening on models. Now, Rolex has changed their strategy. Any discount apparently seems like a "good deal".
Goldnlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:28 PM   #7
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Negotiating with AD

Quote:
My goal is also to build a relationship with the AD to get an Aquanaut next so don’t want to rub them the wrong way.

Relationship —noun

1. a connection, association, or involvement.
2. connection between persons by blood or marriage.
3. an emotional or other connection between people.

Relationships built on shared goals work.

But if it’s all one-sided, like today’s seller market seems to be, then it’s really just a transaction - not a relationship.

Or, on the other hand, if you’d drive 100 miles away from your local AD to buy the Aquanaut you also want, then it’s not a relationship either.

I’d ask the pricing question since you are being asked to put up a 50% deposit. After all, you are accepting the risk they won’t go out of business in the coming 6 month wait.

If a reasonable request rubs them the wrong way, then it was never going to be a relationship anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:41 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not pay a 50% deposit on a watch with no delivery date. I would offer 5-10% down and when they have an arrival time frame I would go back and put down the remaining money or pay the watch off if it was just weeks away. I think the green dial is nice but I think that this watch is hyped just like a lot of other ones. I would go look at a watch they have in stock or is readily available and get a nice discount and start wearing it. I like the YG Daytona with the white dial and gold sub dials. I liked it so much I wore one for a decade.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:34 AM   #9
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Bear in mind that when you have to negotiate with an AD there are only 2 outcomes:

1. You lose
2. You walk away

Most are very savvy and know the market well. You will not gain an edge through clever negotiating ploys. This is their livelihood.

Have fun!
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:22 AM   #10
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I’m not a huge negotiator. I ask “How much” and I either like the deal or I walk away. I’ve never paid a deposit and would only if I was asking for a non popular piece the AD could get stuck with for a while.
Old 22 April 2019, 01:59 AM   #11
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSuri View Post
As far as discount goes, imo it never hurts to ask "what's the best price you can offer this watch to me". It's not insulting or aggressive, purely a question. PM's use to get discounted 10-20% deepening on models. Now, Rolex has changed their strategy. Any discount apparently seems like a "good deal".
A perfect way to appraoch the subject of a potential discount.

My AD will work with a buyer for a discount on a full PM model, but not for anything else.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:10 AM   #12
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Speaking for myself would never pay 50% upfront on any watch, and cannot see why a green dial 116508 would take 6 months to get.And why do you think its a limited production watch, made in smaller numbers perhaps.As for asking for a discount they will either say yes or no, this relationship with any AD is way over internet hyped. Unfortunately like many of the so called hard to get Rolex watches and the 5167 on the grey market there are hundreds of them for-sale to those willing to pay.And while there are those willing to pay these crazy prices afraid the trend will continue as many today just bought and flipped hopefully for profit.

100% agree. It’s crazy all this talk about having to build some sort of best friend relationship with the AD.

Go ahead and ask for a discount, like padi said the worst thing they can say is no. Even if they do say no they will still sell you the watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:13 AM   #13
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I have seen the green one in the metal ,it is a stunning reference !!
Beautiful watch !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote