The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 January 2010, 11:11 PM   #31
rolexsubdate
Banned

As long as Rolex does not get a negative "quality" review, that's good... but ROLEX does not need any magazine review or its position on any list to create its aura ... ROLEX is the aura ... the GOD of all watches .... the watch that started it all .... the brand that is worshipped the whole word over....

There will always be watches that people will rate higher than Rolex ... but rolex has done what no other watch has done: Made a place in people's fantasies .... it is the brand that sets the rules for all to follow... it is the brand that orders other brands to bendover and take it..... Basel is not Basel without Rolex ... it is what everyone waits for ....wants to be ... loves to hate ....

ROLEX is same as Bill Gates ...the biggest baddest and most powerful ...what Michael Jackson is to music, Rolex is to Watches ...there won't be another like it, atleast in our lifetime .... it is household name, desired by millions, seldomly seen my most ... As long as ROLEX keeps performing ... ROLEX has done all the hardwork .. now all they gotta do is cruise...they carved the way for other watches to follow....

Rolex does not have a reputation ... ROLEX = REPUTATION ...

P.S I don't know if you can tell but I like Rolex ...
rolexsubdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 12:29 AM   #32
BASSETHOUNDS
Banned

Watch: 116520/660/710/334
That Yachtmaster 2 is tempting me more each day , just wish they would make it in SS/plat or something like that to make it more affordable .
BASSETHOUNDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 12:46 AM   #33
PeteNYC13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have the booklet and was happy to see how well they scored - not just a beautiful time piece but built with quality... gotta love Rolex! :-)

How many brands are known for their style and quality, I am sure it is a very small group of well known brands.

-Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watchtime.jpg (47.6 KB, 87 views)
SS Black Dial Daytona M116520
SS Explorer II D16570
PeteNYC13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:51 AM   #34
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Good info !!!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:58 AM   #35
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

"ROLEX is the aura ... the GOD of all watches .... the watch that started it all .... the brand that is worshipped the whole word over...."
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:02 AM   #36
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I know that most of us here agree and love the Brand... That's why we are on a rolex Forum..

But, I frequent other areas to see what's going on in the world of Horology.. It seems that too many who wear a different brand have nothing good to say about any other brand...and they especially go out of their way to find fault with Rolex...

It is refreshing to see that independent watchmakers and professionals in the watch industry realise that Rolex is not just a pretty face..

Rolex engineers are considered some of the best in the world and share their talent... they have been completely involved in the development of tourbillon technology...They used the Co-axial first, before discarding the technnology; they worked hand in hand with Patek to develop their silicon hairspring, many watch schools in the world would not be in business without Rolex funding and instructors; Their support to sports and charities is more than all other watch companies combined...

Its good to know that we love a brand that encompasses more than just a body of ticking parts in a stainless case..........

Rolex bashing should roll off your back because you know it just ain't so..........
Old 31 January 2010, 03:10 AM   #37
Thai
Banned

Watch: Rolex Yacht-Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
But, I frequent other areas to see what's going on in the world of Horology.. It seems that too many who wear a different brand have nothing good to say about any other brand...and they especially go out of their way to find fault with Rolex...
Do you know what other watch scored a 94? I am not sure if you got the facts regarding Coaxial and silicon right, but you believe what you want to believe.
Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:13 AM   #38
Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Do you know what other watch scored a 94?
Patek Phillipe
Old 31 January 2010, 03:18 AM   #39
Thai
Banned

Quote:
Patek Phillipe
FYI, link: http://www.watchbizz.com/archive/wt_...007_05_142.pdf

And this is why Coaxial technology (when done right) is so damn good! PERFECT SCORE ON RATE!
Old 31 January 2010, 03:20 AM   #40
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Quote:
I know that most of us here agree and love the Brand... That's why we are on a rolex Forum..

It is refreshing to see that independent watchmakers and professionals in the watch industry realise that Rolex is not just a pretty face..

Rolex engineers are considered some of the best in the world and share their talent... they have been completely involved in the development of tourbillon technology...They used the Co-axial first, before discarding the technnology; they worked hand in hand with Patek to develop their silicon hairspring, many watch schools in the world would not be in business without Rolex funding and instructors; Their support to sports and charities is more than all other watch companies combined...

Its good to know that we love a brand that encompasses more than just a body of ticking parts in a stainless case..........

Rolex bashing should roll off your back because you know it just ain't so..........
Larry, it's just a damn fine watchPERIOD
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:21 AM   #41
scl6118
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIC
I believe that Rolex does deserve its reputation! I have been researching and reading reviews about Rolexes for about the past year and have learned that they are not only known as a fantastic watch, but that they earned that reputation based on technical merit, along with beautiful designs. A lot of people think that Rolex are only famous because they are seen in the movies, etc., but knowledgeable watch enthusiasts and watchmakers know they are also extremely high quality watches deserving of such a wonderful reputation.

Current: SS GMT IIC
Former: Panerai 114
Former: Breitling Hercules

:
scl6118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:22 AM   #42
Tools

Quote:
FYI, link: http://www.watchbizz.com/archive/wt_...007_05_142.pdf

And this is why Coaxial technology (when done right) is so damn good! PERFECT SCORE ON RATE!
I stand corrected.. The Omega new 8500 powered De Ville was able to do as well as the Rolex GMT II in the Watch Time tests and is tied for a respectable second place.......... The highest scoring Omega ever..
Old 31 January 2010, 03:29 AM   #43
Thai
Banned

Quote:
I stand corrected.. The Omega new 8500 powered De Ville was able to do as well as the Rolex GMT II in the Watch Time tests and is tied for a respectable second place.......... The highest scoring Omega ever..
Yup, and WT took some petty points off such as lack of luminious material, which is not really needed for this type of watch (IMO of course) and how the crown is hard to turn (due to its construction...being rated to 100M without a screw down crown...a cool feature). And of course, with time, the movement should easily get max points...WT took points off ONLY because it was a new movement at the time (2007). So, if WT had tested this movement a few years later, it may have been tops on WT list!
Old 31 January 2010, 03:51 AM   #44
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Great thread Larry! All very well said....thanks!
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 04:06 AM   #45
haakon59
"TRF" Member

That is a pretty impressive feat for Rolex to accomplish and just confirms what we already know, which is that Rolex makes good watches!
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 05:29 AM   #46
poppydog
Banned

Watch: Rolex Seadweller
There is also that personal factor that can't be ignored: I own and dive with Rolexes, Omegas and Breitlings. Apart from one of the Omegas that simply stopped dead during a dive in very cold water, each of them has performed brilliantly, but I simply like Rolex the most.

I think it's worth noting, though, that a magazine's reviews are based on the personal opinions of the reviewers, except where recordable facts can be observed, like timekeeping over a set period. A better and more reliable analysis would be to compare categories like componant failures, accuracy, necessary repairs etc over a period of time.

Just my tuppence-worth.
poppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 06:39 AM   #47
Thai
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think it's worth noting, though, that a magazine's reviews are based on the personal opinions of the reviewers, except where recordable facts can be observed, like timekeeping over a set period. A better and more reliable analysis would be to compare categories like componant failures, accuracy, necessary repairs etc over a period of time.

Just my tuppence-worth.
Yup...too bad WT does not do a "long term" test like car magazines do with cars.
Old 31 January 2010, 07:30 AM   #48
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:

Well said, Larry.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 11:50 AM   #49
Iceman1974

Watch: Submariner 16610LV
I have that same pamphlet that I got from my AD just before I bought mine, and I must say I read it almost every day while I am "taking care of the paperwork" and it just gives me that reasurrance and satisfaction that I know I made a wise decision when I purchased my LV. I absolutely love my Sub and would never trade or sell it for any other brand of timepiece, period.
Iceman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 11:53 AM   #50
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
Well said, Larry.
X2.

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 01:16 PM   #51
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Yup...too bad WT does not do a "long term" test like car magazines do with cars.
Maybe Chuck Yeager or Arnold Palmer will do an article.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 03:57 PM   #52
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I agree Rolex deserves its reputation. My Yachtmaster is almost 9 years old. I've worn it almost daily, and do not "baby" the watch. I've worn it in the ocean, swimming pool, etc. It still looks great (some scratches on the PCL aside) . I don't think any other ladies' "high end" watch would have "worn" this well. Plus, it's nice to know that it has still kept its value, relatively speaking.

Likewise, my mother in law has a ladies' gold Datejust that is more than 25 years old. She has knocked the heck out of that thing...tennis, traveling, swimming (ocean + pool), etc. She has taken even less care of her watch than mine (for example, she's never had it serviced at a RSC), but it still looks and works great. I'm sure that very few other premium watches could have taken such abuse for 25+ years and still functioned.

Rolex is not just advertising "hype." They make great, high quality watches that hold their value. Plus, they are still unmistakably Rolex watches, with a classic style that doesn't look dated.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2010, 04:10 PM   #53
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
Rolex has earned it's name and will continue to out perform for years to come!
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote