The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 April 2019, 03:34 PM   #1
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
A case on how hoarding pays off when it comes to Rolex

The debate around papers, boxes etc continues to be somewhat a matter of opinion.

On an advertisement for a BBC show called ‘Antiques Roadshow’ a veteran brought in a GMT Master model 6542 from 1960 he’d bought 55 years ago when he was stationed in Germany. So I searched it on YouTube.

He picked it up at the PX for $120 - his monthly salary was $100.00 back then. It is a full set - watch, papers, box, brochure, COSC. It has been mostly sitting in the family safe. He seems to wear a digital watch these days with the Rolex for dressing up.

The TV appraiser said it was special because it was the first GMT version - and because of that it would now be worth US$35,000 and $45,000.

He then went on to say - BUT there’s more......because he kept all this paperwork it could easily fetch $US65,000 to $75,000.

I think I’ll keep the papers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=li0mRLcGbU8

InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 03:43 PM   #2
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
What a fantastic video. Thanks for sharing. The gentleman is just ..... I'll leave it for others to see when they watch (no pun intended) the video.
Old 14 April 2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Terrific....thanks for posting, I’m a believer in box and papers too.
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 03:56 PM   #4
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Nice video. Thanks for sharing.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 10:08 PM   #5
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
The debate around papers, boxes etc continues to be somewhat a matter of opinion.

On an advertisement for a BBC show called ‘Antiques Roadshow’ a veteran brought in a GMT Master model 6542 from 1960 he’d bought 55 years ago when he was stationed in Germany. So I searched it on YouTube.

He picked it up at the PX for $120 - his monthly salary was $100.00 back then. It is a full set - watch, papers, box, brochure, COSC. It has been mostly sitting in the family safe. He seems to wear a digital watch these days with the Rolex for dressing up.

The TV appraiser said it was special because it was the first GMT version - and because of that it would now be worth US$35,000 and $45,000.

He then went on to say - BUT there’s more......because he kept all this paperwork it could easily fetch $US65,000 to $75,000.

I think I’ll keep the papers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=li0mRLcGbU8

Honestly, saying he will fetch this or that doesn't mean it will happen. Really fine examples will sell high and box and papers up the price. Its the quality of the piece that really sets the bar. I did not watch the video. There are much more knowledgeable folks on here.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 10:52 PM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I thought everyone on the forum would have seen this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 12:04 AM   #7
cajuntiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post

This is only the 5th time this has been posted here....this is from 3 years ago.

and FYI, this is not "hoarding". Hoarding is a disorder, saving a box from a once in a lifetime valuable purchase is not.

@heuerautavia
cajuntiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 12:41 AM   #8
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post

It has been posted about a dozen times since it first aired a few years ago
Old 15 April 2019, 12:56 AM   #9
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I remember watching the first time it aired because my father called me and said "quick, turn on PBS they're doing an old Rolex!"

My father's military watch was an old, no name 32mm on a speidel twist-o-flex that is shockproof, waterproof, anti magnetic, all stainless, etc... I think it is an "Elrex" if I'm not mistaken.

My great uncle owned a jewelry store and my dad picked out an unclaimed watch from the pile of orphaned watches that he could use for basic training and subsequent service.

I had that watch serviced about 15 years ago and haven't worn it in eons.

As far as box and papers, very few Rolex will command that type of premium in years to come. Everyone saves their boxes nowadays. Even watches from the 80's and 70's don't add much. Maybe back in the 60's you can get a nice premium but it would have to be a special watch like the gentleman in the video.
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 03:04 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It is these sorts of stories that drive the fervor over "box and papers".

A GMT 6542 is a rare animal, and having accessories that are 60 years old may be even rarer, hence, a collector who "must" have that example may pay a high price.

To equate this example with a millions-made 16710 is absurd. Anybody can spend 10 minutes on the Internet and find hundreds of these. To say box and papers should add much when they are plentiful is equally absurd.
Old 15 April 2019, 06:55 AM   #11
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
As far as box and papers, very few Rolex will command that type of premium in years to come. Everyone saves their boxes nowadays. Even watches from the 80's and 70's don't add much. Maybe back in the 60's you can get a nice premium but it would have to be a special watch like the gentleman in the video.
Indeed. People buy the latest models for super inflated prices and keep the box and papers because they think they’re an investment, trouble is everyone else keeps the full set these days and the current models will never match the oldies because they’ll be common as muck in mint condition. Let’s also not forget the charm of the oldies is they age, pulling out a mint ceramic bezel Rolex in 30 years still looking new in box isn’t going to have any wow factor.

The reason an oldie with b&p is now a good investment to have made when new is because it was a relatively affordable tool and most people didn’t care enough to keep the b&p and wore the heck out of their watch for decades making the scenario above rare. You can’t force this stuff.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 07:09 AM   #12
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Way back then, there was nothing like the hype and fuss there is now about collecting and full sets etc. The increased focus today on full sets and condition, coupled with the sheer numbers of models and avid owners means that the likelihood of a modern piece (with a few exceptions) commanding huge money is fairly unlikely. Better just to enjoy these great watches!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote