The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2019, 03:57 PM   #31
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Instead of thinking about watches as investment pieces (generally) it’s probably better to answer this question:

What watch can I buy within budget, that’s going to light some sort of spark for you while limiting potential loss?
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:15 PM   #32
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scv View Post
The OP used the word investment. If that's the case, this is the only right answer.
I'd agree with this statement. Every watch I've ever purchased, Rolex or not, has been for enjoyment; Because I like it, it looks cool & I want to wear it. If it's an investment you're after, I have two words: mutual fund. Every one of my mutual funds has made dividends, some at a faster clip than others, but as for enjoyment, I definitely enjoy watching their balances increase. Buying a watch, say at $5k for the sake of conversation, flipping it, even to make 10%, seems like a $500 waste of time (pun...heh...) to me. And 10% is pretty generous if you're starting off in the $5k ballpark.

I'd invest & save. I think the sentiments of "patience, delayed enjoyment, the 'hunt,' & looking for what you REALLY want" will be echoed here.
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:22 PM   #33
ImSorryBut...
Banned

Investment? You sound like a genuine watch lover
ImSorryBut... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 06:39 PM   #34
georgekart
"TRF" Member

I think it's hard to find something for 4k that will appreciate. If you could stretch into a Sub territory, I'd say get that. Not that a Sub would particularly work well as an investment (ROI is not great), but it will most likely increase in price or at the very least stay the same, which is not bad for a thing you get to wear and enjoy.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 07:46 PM   #35
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwatchguy View Post
it’s clear the op is young and doesn’t mean “investment” to make money on the watch but rather what’s likely to hold the most value over time! Save some more and try buy a new or used ss submariner
+1
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 07:56 PM   #36
Speedfreek28
"TRF" Member

If you’re getting a Rolex as an investment you’re going to end up too scared to want to wear it out and have it damaged. But..if you’re looking for a watch for sure; Tudor is pretty hot right now. The bb gmt is just under 4K. Hopefully you can land one tho.
Speedfreek28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:33 PM   #37
zengineer
"TRF" Member

People need to stop twitching and losing their minds completely just because someone uses the word investment. If you read his entire post for context you'd know he isn't talking about buying and selling for profit. He simply is trying to stick to a principal that his family has instilled in him. All he meant is that he wants to spend his money wisely. We all know many Rolexes hold or even gain value historically. We all know some tend to be better than others. We also all know many models of some brands are a horrible deal at full retail and some others are an incredible deal if you can find one even over dealer retail price.

So let's stop ignoring that some watches are dramatically more likely to hold or even gain value over time.

Unfortunately, because of this fact, you can't buy a whe lot of Rolex any more for under $4000.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:52 PM   #38
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSorryBut... View Post
Investment? You sound like a genuine watch lover
Are you here for anything more than pithy sarcastic one liner drive by post jabs?

zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:57 PM   #39
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Well done. What kind of Rolex appeals to you?

For the money i think your in used Datejust arena, just from my own research on the net.

Maybe a new Tudor might appeal to you in that price range.

Well good luck finding your watch and wishing you many happy years of ownership. Keep us updated on how your quest goes.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:06 PM   #40
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would look at the Explorer in either 36 mm or 39 mm depending on your wrist size. You will need a little more money than what you have allocated but in the end it will be worth it. The Explorer is a classic Rolex and has been everywhere. It also looks great on a NATO or leather strap so you can have some options.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:27 PM   #41
Molnboman
"TRF" Member

First Rolex at 18.....You are a very luck man. Took me 30 odd years...Buy what you can afford and suits your style/hobby/ job personality. Try as many as you can before buying.
BR
MM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Molnboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:10 PM   #42
dmy99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
People need to stop twitching and losing their minds completely just because someone uses the word investment. If you read his entire post for context you'd know he isn't talking about buying and selling for profit. He simply is trying to stick to a principal that his family has instilled in him. All he meant is that he wants to spend his money wisely. We all know many Rolexes hold or even gain value historically. We all know some tend to be better than others. We also all know many models of some brands are a horrible deal at full retail and some others are an incredible deal if you can find one even over dealer retail price.

So let's stop ignoring that some watches are dramatically more likely to hold or even gain value over time.

Unfortunately, because of this fact, you can't buy a whe lot of Rolex any more for under $4000.

absolutely! the word investment seems to tick off many but I think in this case its about value-holding :)
dmy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:20 PM   #43
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

...interesting that the OP's post has garnered quite a few comments, but he's not chimed back in at all. Looks like I may have taken the bait, guess we'll see.
ferrissteve11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:32 PM   #44
timvbs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
I’d drop it into a sp500 mutual fund. Thank me later.
If you're looking for an investment, this is what you should do. If you want a Rolex, I'd keep saving.
timvbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:45 PM   #45
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

first thing ..

if you are going to think of watches as investments, then label their risk accordingly, they are speculative investments.

sounds like you take pride in spending your money right, then you should take a look at how much risk you want to take on in your portfolio ..

you are young so, high risk is appropriate, - but speculation is beyond high risk.

do you want to invest your money, or do you want a watch?
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:45 PM   #46
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Congrats on the hard work. Not sure u will find an investment piece at that price, but at least you are trying to buy a watch...

At ur age i bought a toyota supra and made it look fast and furious...
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:13 AM   #47
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Welcome.
As a huge fan of many different types of watches, no doubt you know there are many great brands besides Rolex in your price bracket, but then you'd have to change your forum name...
I'd say enjoy the Rolex you say you already have. If you really need another watch, jump on the Speedy pro bandwagon. Buy from a grey at $3200-ish now and it'll still be worth about the same in 10 years. Unlike a proper investment.
BTW, the 2010 Honda Pilot is far from the absolute cheapest car on the planet. Doubt it's even top 100....

At 18 I had my wealth tied up in a Mini Cooper 1300 with twin Webbers and Rallaye lights. If I were 18 again, I'd do the same, great times...
Old 22 April 2019, 12:24 AM   #48
saf1040
"TRF" Member

sometimes when I am looking at a watch, I like to estimate how much I am going to lose if I want to sell it in a year.
saf1040 is offline   Reply With Quote