The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2008, 11:11 AM   #1
nylawbiz

Watch: too many
Your Suggestion Please

My niece graduated law school this summer and is taking the bar exam. She did it all herself, and I want to give her a Rolex as a gift. I do not have a whole lot of money to spend, but I want to get her something special. Any suggestions? As a gift, I think it should be a new watch. I'm thinking of an Air King. What would be a good choice for a young female lawyer? Which face? BTW, I just bought my wife a SS Air King with a white arabic numeral face. She loves it. Think that would work for my niece?

BTW, her father left his family when she was in undergraduate school, leaving everyone in the lurch. He got abducted by Scientologists! She's been through a lot, now up to her neck in student loans, and I though this would be a nice gesture. Maybe a little extravagant, considering she could user the cash, but I think it would make her feel special.

Any and all thoughts would be greatlty appreciated.

Brian

P.S., I am a lawyer and a judge, so I kno what she went through to get to where she is.

My watches are: TTDJ, GMCIIc; my wife: TT Ladies DJ; SS Air King
nylawbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 11:16 AM   #2
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
A matching watch would be cool...or get her a nice white face EXPY II! There are some gals on this forum that have them...and they look great on girls!!!

Nice gift by the way!
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 11:28 AM   #3
MichDui
"TRF" Member

Way to go Brian! I got my SuperOcean when I graduated law school and it was and still is very special to me. That was my very first automatic and it peeked my interest and turned me into the hobbyist I am today!!!
Panerai PAM 51 Chrono LE ~ Omega 007 Sea Master
Breitling SuperOcean Black ~ Ball Aviator
MichDui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Brian, what a wonderful gesture.....I think an AK would be a great gift...understated and classic! And I LOVE white dials!
kcmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 12:54 PM   #5
MikeV
Banned

Watch: GMTIIc
The AK with white dial looks great. The cash would help her and she would definitely appreciate it, but sometimes after a long struggle, a splurge is nice. Besides, after working a few months she'll be on track to pay off those loans just fine.
MikeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Does she need one with date?
Outdoor kind of gal?
Then Expy II White Dial would be a great gift.
Or mid size SS/Plat Yachtmaster (if you're interested in a pre-loved one) would be great as well.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 01:34 PM   #7
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I think she may need a date function with all the paperwork she will be signing and filling out... Just something to consider.

That is a wonderful gift and surely something she will cherish!

As for Scientology, well you can't abduct the willing... They are really out there, I had a couple runs ins when I lived in LA

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Nigel Tufnel

That is a wonderful gift idea (you could always send the bill to Tom Cruise). I think any of the mentioned pieces would be appreciated.
Nigel Tufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 01:41 PM   #9
I_WANT_YOU
Banned

I know what she went through. I completed not only a JD but ALSO an MBA, simultaneously.
I_WANT_YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Mars

I'd go the cash equivalent. She'll be earning in no time & buy the Rolex herself. A bit of pressure off the repayments would help.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 03:06 PM   #11
wanasub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I'd go the cash equivalent. She'll be earning in no time & buy the Rolex herself. A bit of pressure off the repayments would help.
x2. very thoughtful of you btw.
wanasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 06:54 PM   #12
Skippy

I would considder the 36mm Explorer witch looks very good and maybe is a little more stealthier with the black face. That said the white face Explorer II is also very cool on a female wrist and ads the date function witch might come in handy as somebody else already stated and a 24 hour hand/second time zone function as well. Also there should be good deals to be had on Explorer II's as they are a little less popular in the sale's departement.

Or considder getting a used datejust from the year that she was born and some cash for the repayments.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 09:59 PM   #13
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
X3. It's a great gesture but if she's incurred a bunch of student loans then I would help out with that.
Old 15 July 2008, 10:08 PM   #14
jdc
"TRF" Member

What a great way to reward your niece for all her hard work and dedication. A watch is a very personal statement, and it is a lot of money to spend. What not take her out for a special meal and a surprise trip to an AD afterwards where she could choose a watch?
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2008, 11:39 PM   #15
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Sorry,
I have to disagree with the student loan payment in lieu of the watch. Sometimes we get too practical.

This girl has no expectation of a gift or loan repayment. She has grabbed a tiger by the tail and worked her way through law school. Now her uncle is going to give her what will become a family heirloom eventually, but for the next 40 years it will be a proud reminder of her accomplishment and what a considerate and kind man her uncle is / was (sorry). It also starts her off on the right footing in establishing a professional appearance.

Knocking $5K off her loans is a nice gesture, but is quickly forgotten. Kind of like giving your kids gift cards vs presents at Christmas.

So I vote that you give her the watch. Even though I'm not normally a fan of engraving, I might consider it in this case.

Edit: As to the Rolex to get -- a ladies DJ in SS with a white dial. Something classy and flexible. Exp II is nice on a women if it's her third or fourth watch, but it misses the mark in a business suit. We take this woman wearing men's watches a bit too far in my view. They are fine for casual wear only.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 12:01 AM   #16
RolexerATL
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=BigHat;670868]Sorry,
I have to disagree with the student loan payment in lieu of the watch. Sometimes we get too practical.

Totally agree. The watch is personal, it's sentimental, and when she's at a trial and looks down at her watch to see how much time she has left for her closing statement, guess who she's going to think of?

Forget the loan payment, get the gift!
I vote for the ladie's ss yachtmaster. Sleek, professional, and timeless.
RolexerATL is offline   Reply With Quote