The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 July 2020, 02:17 PM   #1
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Perpetual Calendar danger zones

Can experts chime in on this topic of danger zones on perpetual calendar. I have a vc overseas perpetual and the manual says Do Not adjust the pusher between 6pm and 10am, this is kind of confusing. Also what if we do it in the danger zone does it may it "may" cause damage or is like once you do it once you have caused permenate damage. Any insight will be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 02:30 PM   #2
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
Can experts chime in on this topic of danger zones on perpetual calendar. I have a vc overseas perpetual and the manual says Do Not adjust the pusher between 6pm and 10am, this is kind of confusing. Also what if we do it in the danger zone does it may it "may" cause damage or is like once you do it once you have caused permenate damage. Any insight will be helpful. Thanks.

on the first part of your question, it means you shouldn't adjust any of the date indicators when the watch is showing between 6pm and 10am because the date-change mechanism is engaged.

as to whether you "may" cause damage or "definitely will" cause damage, I don't have an answer for you but why would you want to test it?
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 02:36 PM   #3
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Definitely not an expert by any means. I'm curious on the topic though, so following.

I have the Montblanc Perpetual Calendar and the instructions say that the watch has to be at exactly 3AM to set the special functions. I don't want to risk trying to do it at any other time, that's for sure!
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 02:57 PM   #4
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
on the first part of your question, it means you shouldn't adjust any of the date indicators when the watch is showing between 6pm and 10am because the date-change mechanism is engaged.

as to whether you "may" cause damage or "definitely will" cause damage, I don't have an answer for you but why would you want to test it?
The reason is I did it while it was at 6pm (without knowing) and all the pushers seems to be smooth and the watch is operating fine after. It has been over a month now and things seem to be fine. So this whole incident got me thinking as to how "big" of a issue this danger zone is.

startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 03:58 PM   #5
mbalmz

I’d imagine there’s some cushion in the range in any case (I’ve often heard 9pm to 3am for other movements), so not surprised there was no issue.

not sure I’d make a habit of testing it though...
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:19 PM   #6
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
I've understood it to be about staying safely away from the times when the gears are engaged in a manual watch as they setup to change. Although a date or day changes over at midnight, the gears engage to setup the process earlier, so you want to make the changes to the settings at a time when the watch is optimally ready to receive the change from the depressed pusher.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 03:23 PM   #7
rolehex

What if you advance the date by adjusting the time past the danger zone when gears are engaged? And then adjust the date by itself?
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 01:37 PM   #8
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolehex View Post
What if you advance the date by adjusting the time past the danger zone when gears are engaged? And then adjust the date by itself?

or just follow the manual and adjust as directed
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote