The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 January 2020, 03:28 PM   #1
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Caliber 5100 from Vacheron Constantin

Hello TRF,

I am trying now for few days, without success unfortunately, to research and find more in-depth information about the new movement from Vacheron Constantin caliber 5100. It has been about three years now since the movement was released and I was certain that there must be more information about the movement and I was surprised that I couldn't find anything online.

It is very exciting when a big brand such as VC announces a new movement and there should be some discussion about the advancement, technical aspects, materials used etc.

When rolex announced the new 3235 movement there was more information about the differences from the previous 3135, and watch makers discussion on the advantages and disadvantages, but I could not find anything similar for the new VC movement.

Is there anyone on this forum who has managed to find more information on the new VC movement? Would really appreciate the input. Or any watch makers on the forum who might have serviced the movement?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 08:41 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

There’s nothing particularly remarkable about it, and Vacheron is of less interest to the masses than Rolex, hence the greater scrutiny.
It doesn’t use any exotic/unusual materials, is Geneva Seal certified, has twin barrels, and have opted to use a high number of jewels for friction reduction.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 10:57 AM   #3
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
There’s nothing particularly remarkable about it, and Vacheron is of less interest to the masses than Rolex, hence the greater scrutiny.
It doesn’t use any exotic/unusual materials, is Geneva Seal certified, has twin barrels, and have opted to use a high number of jewels for friction reduction.
Thanks for the input, it already helped my quest for info. Through your post I learned that it has a twin barrel.

My knowledge of watch movements is limited but as far as I can tell it has a free sprung balance wheel. I also heard that the movement is made of palladium, this I was told by the AD but have not been able to confirm independently. Any idea if this might be true?

Also, I am interested if the movement has some sort of shock absorbers and if it is robust. The watch overall appears way more robust than both the Royal Oak and the Nautilus.

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated

Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 07:39 PM   #4
PJ S
Banned

Forgot about the balance wheel, but then I don’t differentiate between free sprung and the more typical type, although the former is supposedly less susceptible to shocks.

Not sure what type of shock protection is designed in, but there will be some. Whether it’s the same as KiF, as fitted in higher grade ETAs, I don’t know.
I doubt Palladium is used, since there’s a soft iron ring around the circumference of the movement to keep magnetism at bay.
Palladium, gold, and bronze were used by Vacheron way back in 1885, for that purpose, but with the iron core, it effectively makes such usage redundant.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2020, 03:19 AM   #5
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I can't say too much, still learning all i can. I've have and had Rolex for years but just bought my first VCO 4500V one month ago. I love this piece and it keeps excellent time within Rolex COSC specs. Heres a few pics and a quote from another forum member on the mvmt. tweek from 5100 to 5100/1

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 10:40 AM   #6
athens7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
My knowledge of watch movements is limited but as far as I can tell it has a free sprung balance wheel.
I am also interested in learning more about this movement. Very little has been discussed on the watch sites. Based on the pictures that I have seen, the 5100 does NOT have a free sprung balance; rather, it appears to have a traditional regulated balance (based on the visible regulator arm with two pins at the 6 o'clock position of the balance wheel). It does appear that the balance is equipped with shock absorption. if this is so, I am surprised and disappointed that a watch of this caliber would not have a free sprung balance, let alone an overcool hairspring for improved isochronism. For all of the vitriol directed at Rolex, at half this price one can get a Datejust with a free sprung balance including an amagnetic hairspring with a Breguet overcoil.
athens7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:45 PM   #7
thrillhouse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
I am also interested in learning more about this movement. Very little has been discussed on the watch sites. Based on the pictures that I have seen, the 5100 does NOT have a free sprung balance; rather, it appears to have a traditional regulated balance (based on the visible regulator arm with two pins at the 6 o'clock position of the balance wheel). It does appear that the balance is equipped with shock absorption. if this is so, I am surprised and disappointed that a watch of this caliber would not have a free sprung balance, let alone an overcool hairspring for improved isochronism. For all of the vitriol directed at Rolex, at half this price one can get a Datejust with a free sprung balance including an amagnetic hairspring with a Breguet overcoil.
I don’t think you can draw a direct connection between balance technology and the RRP of a watch. For example, my BB GMT also is free sprung and antimagnetic, and it’s half the price of any Rolex. The vacheron is obviously going to be finished at a much higher level on it’s case, bracelet and movement.

Having said that, I can see how some people might consider these as prerequisites for a sport watch.
thrillhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:37 PM   #8
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens7 View Post
Regulated balance wheels are VC‘s house style. When you’ve done things a certain way in forever, you don’t just change. The benefits of free sprung balance wheels are pretty over-estimated anyway according to several people I spoke with (among which a senior watchmaker for VC and one trained by the other big Genevean house). And if you really knock it out of regulation, the regulated balance is much more efficient to readjust.

Another thing that can be said about the 5100 is that it obviously is a platform bearer that has a bit of space in some places to welcome complications without adding thickness and that’s pretty compact in other places to allow that. I would surmise that’s also the reason why they didn’t include a hacking mechanism, as that would typically live in a portion of the movement that’s pretty dense as it is. Compared to the layout of the 2450, this reason seems pretty obvious, but I still have not received a definitive word on it. Even at VC they don’t seem to all know why the design team opted for this omission.

Finishing is as everything VC, first tier. Though even VC stumbles here and there. None for one has a lint on one fixing screw. A nice reminder that it’s made pay humans and no human is perfect.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:45 PM   #9
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
Thanks for the input, it already helped my quest for info. Through your post I learned that it has a twin barrel.

My knowledge of watch movements is limited but as far as I can tell it has a free sprung balance wheel. I also heard that the movement is made of palladium, this I was told by the AD but have not been able to confirm independently. Any idea if this might be true?

Also, I am interested if the movement has some sort of shock absorbers and if it is robust. The watch overall appears way more robust than both the Royal Oak and the Nautilus.

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated

I‘m pretty sure it’s not made of palladium. It also doesn’t have a free sprung balance. But I can report from taking it mountaineering fairly regularly that it is indeed a robust little machine that doesn’t really care much about tremors or vibrations it seems. Definitely held up well in activities I wouldn’t dare submit a 324 or a 2121 to.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote