ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 June 2020, 12:33 PM   #31
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
Thanks all, I'm very pleased with it.

1 odd thing I noticed... the rotor is a good bit louder than any previous watches I have owned when it spins. Possibly due to the carbotech material? I saw a review online that mentioned it and can confirm it is slightly louder. Not an issue, just an observation.
My 616 is very loud. Sounds like a baby rattle. Does it also rattle when when you tap on the case? The wobble swoosh is different sound.

That lume is awesome.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 03:49 PM   #32
Lol-x
Facilitator

Congrats, how do you find the thickness of the watch and balance of the watch overall on your wrist?

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 01:39 AM   #33
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
My 616 is very loud. Sounds like a baby rattle. Does it also rattle when when you tap on the case? The wobble swoosh is different sound.

That lume is awesome.
The ceramic rotor bearings is more audible because of the lightweight material used on the case but there shouldn't be any rotor wobble you can feel.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 01:47 AM   #34
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Congrats, how do you find the thickness of the watch and balance of the watch overall on your wrist?
Very easy to wear, I'm a big fan. I would guess thickness at around 11-12mm and crystal is almost flat not domed like some panerai
J.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 01:47 AM   #35
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That lume is awesome.
No rattle
Old 27 June 2020, 01:48 AM   #36
J.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The ceramic rotor bearings is more audible because of the lightweight material used on the case but there shouldn't be any rotor wobble you can feel.
Can't feel anything odd, just noticeably more audible when self winding
Old 27 June 2020, 11:09 AM   #37
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ah, yes that makes sense. I have yet to hear a wobble on this one. That swoosh. But the ceramic bearings are noisy and assumed the sound is escaping more so due on the carbo vs steel. It doesn’t bother me though. I love this watch too much to care. What is odd though is if I tap on the side of the case, as if tapping on a tabletop, I can hear the bearing rattle a bit. Im not sure if that’s completely normal or not and have considered sending it in for service. She runs about +5 minutes over the course of two to three weeks. On the wrist 90% of the time.

Old 27 June 2020, 11:09 AM   #38
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. View Post
No rattle
Thanks for confirming that. I wonder if my PAM is sick.

Old 27 June 2020, 05:27 PM   #39
ASW1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for confirming that. I wonder if my PAM is sick.
I have two in-house autos. 389 - titanium/iron core, and 654 - steel. They both have some noise, esp the 654, which did concern me at first. Not the silence of a Rolex or Omega. However a JLC makes similar noise and having handled similar models in shops this is normal.

Also, you've got an 8 year warranty, so don't stress and return the watch. Wear it, live with it, love it and at your own convenience if/when in a dealer compare to similar models.

Enjoy.
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 05:41 PM   #40
ASW1
"TRF" Member

PS here are my blue highlight straps for my 670 and 690. Mine are from Alfio of Bakeka straps in Italy, but I'm sure any bespoke strap maker can sort out the right look.
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2020, 10:04 PM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah, ceramic bearing make noise... yet have a better lifespan.

You'll learn to love it.... kinda like Rolex bracelet squeak.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 02:00 AM   #42
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Yeah, ceramic bearing make noise... yet have a better lifespan.

You'll learn to love it.... kinda like Rolex bracelet squeak.
I love that squeak.

Is +5 minutes normal for 2-3 weeks?? I would really hope not for that kind of money. That kind of time keeping would dissuade me completely. Do Submersible perform with that same "accuracy"?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 02:04 AM   #43
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Ah, yes that makes sense. I have yet to hear a wobble on this one. That swoosh. But the ceramic bearings are noisy and assumed the sound is escaping more so due on the carbo vs steel. It doesn’t bother me though. I love this watch too much to care. What is odd though is if I tap on the side of the case, as if tapping on a tabletop, I can hear the bearing rattle a bit. Im not sure if that’s completely normal or not and have considered sending it in for service. She runs about +5 minutes over the course of two to three weeks. On the wrist 90% of the time.
Your watch gains +5 minutes over 2 to 3 weeks? Is that acceptable?

Old 28 June 2020, 02:30 AM   #44
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

The PAM01033 is +4 sec/day. So 5 min in two weeks... maybe it needs demag'ing.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 28 June 2020, 02:32 AM   #45
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
Your watch gains +5 minutes over 2 to 3 weeks? Is that acceptable?

+14 seconds a day is not even close to what that movement can do. Can’t be right.
+1 to+3 a day is where most P9010 movements are doing. I recommend you wind full (60 turns),reset, and check with a atomic clock after 24 hours.

I would put the in-house p9010 Panerai movement against any in-house movement.
The amplitude always stays high thanks to it’s dual barrel mainsprings and yields a 80+ hour power reserve from my testing.

Old 28 June 2020, 02:34 AM   #46
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
+14 seconds a day is not even close to what that movement can do. Can’t be right.

+1 to+3 a day is where most P9010 movements are doing. I recommend you wind full (60 turns),reset, and check with a atomic clock after 24 hours.
I'm glad I said something haha.

Old 28 June 2020, 02:56 AM   #47
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
I have two in-house autos. 389 - titanium/iron core, and 654 - steel. They both have some noise, esp the 654, which did concern me at first. Not the silence of a Rolex or Omega. However a JLC makes similar noise and having handled similar models in shops this is normal.

Also, you've got an 8 year warranty, so don't stress and return the watch. Wear it, live with it, love it and at your own convenience if/when in a dealer compare to similar models.

Enjoy.
Thanks that does make me feel better. Really appreciate it.

Old 28 June 2020, 03:10 AM   #48
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I would put the in-house p9010 Panerai movement against any in-house movement.
The amplitude always stays high thanks to it’s dual barrel mainsprings and yields a 80+ hour power reserve from my testing.

I’ll admit I didn’t fully wind the watch when I got it and have been wearing it around the house. I’ve been working from home since March because of this situation we’re in so I’m not moving around a lot as one would commuting to work and walking around throughout the day. Anyway just wound her up and reset and will keep an eye on it. I don’t usually get too obsessive about the accuracy as I do know variables play a role in that and I absolutely love this watch. It’s without a doubt the best watch I’ve owned to date. The case is just incredible and a work of art. It’s almost indestructible and I feel safe wearing it around the clock. It also feels absolutely amazing on the wrist. It’s not light or feels cheap. It’s solid and robust and a huge win on Panerai’s part. I just want to make sure she’s okay. Anyway I’ll report in for sure.

Old 28 June 2020, 03:29 AM   #49
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’ll admit I didn’t fully wind the watch when I got it and have been wearing it around the house. I’ve been working from home since March because of this situation we’re in so I’m not moving around a lot as one would commuting to work and walking around throughout the day. Anyway just wound her up and reset and will keep an eye on it. I don’t usually get too obsessive about the accuracy as I do know variables play a role in that and I absolutely love this watch. It’s without a doubt the best watch I’ve owned to date. The case is just incredible and a work of art. It’s almost indestructible and I feel safe wearing it around the clock. It also feels absolutely amazing on the wrist. It’s not light or feels cheap. It’s solid and robust and a huge win on Panerai’s part. I just want to make sure she’s okay. Anyway I’ll report in for sure.
Give it a shot. The Carbotech wears so different than any other watch material including ceramic and titanium. I find it superior in comfort and build material in every way. It is it’s own wrist presence.
Old 28 June 2020, 04:11 AM   #50
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

1661 finally arrived!

Quote:
Give it a shot. The Carbotech wears so different than any other watch material including ceramic and titanium. I find it superior in comfort and build material in every way. It is it’s own wrist presence.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ll never part from this watch. Not only because of all the attributes I mentioned earlier, but how much fun it is and just having all the strap options, and how the look and feel can be shape-shifted every single day. That alone is worth the ownership experience. Another observation is those incredible carbon layers in the case. It also reminds me of my dad’s old Chris Craft boats and that mahogany wood workmanship throughout the decking. I literally can’t stop looking at it!

Old 28 June 2020, 04:24 AM   #51
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great pic!

Old 28 June 2020, 04:35 AM   #52
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Couldn’t agree more. I’ll never part from this watch. Not only because of all the attributes I mentioned earlier, but how much fun it is and just having all the strap options, and how the look and feel can be shape-shifted every single day. That alone is worth the ownership experience. Another observation is those incredible carbon layers in the case. It also reminds me of my dad’s old Chris Craft boats and that mahogany wood workmanship throughout the decking. I literally can’t stop looking at it!

beautiful!
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2020, 05:03 AM   #53
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That is a good observation with the layers of CF. It gives a dimensional effect you dot get with any other material. The optics are almost 3d like. There just isn't many of these in the wild and I dont think there will ever be. That is very appealing in its own way with a "X" factor. Feels more bespoke and worth the cost of admission.
Old 28 June 2020, 12:18 PM   #54
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great pic!

Old 28 June 2020, 12:19 PM   #55
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Great pic!
Quote:
That is a good observation with the layers of CF. It gives a dimensional effect you dot get with any other material. The optics are almost 3d like. There just isn't many of these in the wild and I dont think there will ever be. That is very appealing in its own way with a "X" factor. Feels more bespoke and worth the cost of admission.
Absolutely 100%. There are few and I get so many compliments on the watch. It’s so bespoke and unique. I just love it.

Old 28 June 2020, 01:39 PM   #56
Adri4n.
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, BB58 Blue
Very cool piece, enjoy!
Adri4n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 12:59 PM   #57
J.T.
"TRF" Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCUWjlNB...=1cj738glc0cmi
Old 8 July 2020, 12:16 AM   #58
arnage
"TRF" Member

curious on the carbotechs - these look to use springbars rather than screws. when you change out the straps, do you tape the case at all to avoid scratches? or the finish is robust enough that this is a complete non-issue?
arnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:06 AM   #59
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
curious on the carbotechs - these look to use springbars rather than screws. when you change out the straps, do you tape the case at all to avoid scratches? or the finish is robust enough that this is a complete non-issue?
i bought the Bergeon 7767-f to change strap which i think make putting back the springbar into the lugs easier. i've changed straps on my 1616 several times and i have not scratched anything. though i have practiced several times changing the spring bars on a buckle beforehand.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 12:17 PM   #60
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

1661 finally arrived!

Yesterday I was up early and a little clumsy. I slammed my Carbotech 616 against the door rail and when I saw the wood and paint stuck on the bezel and corner of the watch I was convinced there would be serious damage. The house is also 100-years old and mostly built of redwood. After I cleaned it off. Zero. Nothing. Unreal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk