The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2020, 01:09 AM   #61
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Even 18K gold links that retail for several hundred dollars a piece?
Good luck with that Larry
Dealers don't pay retail for parts. If they net 5 to 10 thousand bucks on a pm piece, they can very likely afford to include an extra link.
Old 11 July 2020, 01:42 AM   #62
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronette View Post
I have NEVER paid for a Rolex extra link. I simply tell the AD that I have large wrists and I expect and will not pay extra for making the watch fit. Guess what? I was never turned down not even for an 18K link. Paying for an extra like on a $15-20K watch is just simply stupid when they are making an $8K profit.
Lucky you especially on the gold link I would have thought your AD was being stupid as lost quite a bit of profit.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:22 AM   #63
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Lucky you especially on the gold link I would have thought your AD was being stupid as lost quite a bit of profit.
the AD made 40% on that $30K watch no loss to them at all. Lets not forget the AD pays wholesale for the link as well.
Coronette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 04:18 AM   #64
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
DD40 Plat /Ice Blue ,AD got one in and I went to have a look.
Have never seen it before .
Tried it on ,bracelet shorter than my DJ41 on Jubilee which at max length is perfect ...
..Then the cost of the extra link !! Expensive !
1.5 link for a PP 5131p is $900 (wholesale) + took nearly a year to get! Now that’s expensive!!
Old 11 July 2020, 05:34 AM   #65
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatekSF View Post
1.5 link for a PP 5131p is $900 (wholesale) + took nearly a year to get! Now that’s expensive!!
A standard 36mm DD platinum link for president bracelet is €1600.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:26 AM   #66
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

For all those saying that the AD should definitely include the links... How would you feel if ADs include all the links you need, no more no less. So once they size it they keep all the leftover links? Of course that wouldn't fly. But isn't that the same logic?
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:32 AM   #67
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate here.

For all those saying that the AD should definitely include the links... How would you feel if ADs include all the links you need, no more no less. So once they size it they keep all the leftover links? Of course that wouldn't fly. But isn't that the same logic?
NO you buy the watch to wear it. If the bracelet is to small its basically a paper weight. Rolex and the AD need to take responsibility to make sure it fits you just like a good suit a good taylor will ask the client what way his Penis usually hangs so they can adjust the slacks properly.
Old 11 July 2020, 06:39 AM   #68
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronette View Post
NO you buy the watch to wear it. If the bracelet is to small its basically a paper weight. Rolex and the AD need to take responsibility to make sure it fits you just like a good suit a good taylor will ask the client what way his Penis usually hangs so they can adjust the slacks properly.

You missed my point.

So if they include any extra links at no charge how would you feel if they kept any leftover links if the bracelet is too big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:00 AM   #69
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I think it would depend on the watch and how hard you pushed the AD. On a Day Date, they may be more likely to budge imo. For an Oyster link in PM maybe less so. But if I'm buying PM and needed an extra, I would certainly push since the price is so significant. More than likely they would rather make the sale. Now if you're asking for 2 extra links or something with a small wrist, saying it is a gift, they'll probably laugh you out the door for trying to get extra gold. But it is a relationship game at the end of the day, and a good AD will try their best to make the customer happy and if not free perhaps a discount or store credit elsewhere etc.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:15 AM   #70
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
I have never had an AD give me a link

I have bought Rolex watches at probably five different AD's around the country from 1980 to this year and I don't think I have ever gotten a free link. I always need at least one. I bought a couple for my SD50 and my blro about a year ago. I do not remember how much they cost but they were cheaper than I thought they would be, but not free. I do remember buying a link for a two tone GMT I used to own and it was around $260.

HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:19 AM   #71
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Rolex corporate has no obligation to the enduser of its product to provide a free link, even if the watch doesn’t fit the enduser at time of purchase. It would be up to the AD to absorb the cost of the additional link(s) if they did not want to pass on the cost to their client.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:43 AM   #72
quichedem
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I'd say this is more of an AD thing. Me, personally, I'd tell the AD that if the watch doesnt fit, I dont buy it. With the way Rolex and their ADs do business now, I dont see any trips to any Rolex ADs in my foreseeable future.
quichedem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:49 AM   #73
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
A standard 36mm DD platinum link for president bracelet is €1600.
For the win.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 08:15 AM   #74
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Just paid $64.00 for an extra link from RSC NY.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:17 AM   #75
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Rolex won't, an AD might.

Bingo

If people feel they are entitled to free stuff and want to negotiate with the AD, feel free to do so. Your transaction and your money.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 01:13 AM   #76
904VT
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=kieselguhr;10739520]Bingo

If people feel they are entitled to free stuff and want to negotiate with the AD, feel free to do so. Your transaction and your money.[/

Dropping $40k on a Rolex doesn’t exactly make the link free imo even if they “gave” it to you. On a harder to sell PM model, think about the size of that margin...
Old 12 July 2020, 01:30 AM   #77
watchmaker
TechXpert

Let's think of this another way...

You buy a Rolex which comes with 'X' amount of links. You do not buy a Rolex that is custom fitted to your wrist.

People rightly expect the links that were removed to be returned to them as they have been paid for as part of the sale. Buy this rationale you have no reason to expect additional links for free if you require more than the 'X' you have paid for.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:52 AM   #78
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Let's think of this another way...

You buy a Rolex which comes with 'X' amount of links. You do not buy a Rolex that is custom fitted to your wrist.

People rightly expect the links that were removed to be returned to them as they have been paid for as part of the sale. Buy this rationale you have no reason to expect additional links for free if you require more than the 'X' you have paid for.
My AD gives me a gift with every purchase I make, still to this day. Worth at least a link in value. Last Rolex, was gifted a watch winder not too long ago. Understanding, your customer base is key for long-term profit maximization. Any AD that wants to nickel and dime on a link on a watch they make thousands and thousands of profit on, is missing the point of growing your high-end customer base. I guess the "right" to spend $10k on a SS watch is reward enough nowadays lol. Not too long ago the norm was should I expect 20-30% discount on PM. Now it's how dare you ask for a link that is equivalent to 5% of our profit margin. How times have changed lol, and how quickly some ADs forget about the last recession. Oh well.
Old 12 July 2020, 04:02 AM   #79
Coronette
"TRF" Member

Bottom line the way I see it is, When you purchase a Rolex @ MSRP and you legitimately need an extra link when the watch is fitted at the AD either Rolex or the AD needs to supply it free of charge to assure a proper fit. Period.
Old 12 July 2020, 04:07 AM   #80
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
My AD gives me a gift with every purchase I make, still to this day. Worth at least a link in value. Last Rolex, was gifted a watch winder not too long ago. Understanding, your customer base is key for long-term profit maximization. Any AD that wants to nickel and dime on a link on a watch they make thousands and thousands of profit on, is missing the point of growing your high-end customer base. I guess the "right" to spend $10k on a SS watch is reward enough nowadays lol. Not too long ago the norm was should I expect 20-30% discount on PM. Now it's how dare you ask for a link that is equivalent to 5% of our profit margin. How times have changed lol, and how quickly some ADs forget about the last recession. Oh well.
I’m not saying an AD shouldn’t offer free links (especially if they are steel). I’m saying customers have no business expecting them for free (especially if they are pm).

As I said before, how would you feel if you didn’t get to keep your spare links that you have removed. You don’t need them, so why should you get them? Same logic as if you need extra ones why should you pay for them? (Genuine question).

Would you expect an AD to give you free gold or platinum links on a watch you buy with a 30% discount?
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 10:12 PM   #81
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I thought the Rolex policy was on SS watches they would supply up to 2 extra links if needed for free when buying new from and AD? I am certain that is the case (or used to be anyway).
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:29 AM   #82
Sheldor
"TRF" Member

I have never needed extra links but have needed 1.5 sized links to get that perfect fit on my pateks and ad has always provided free of charge. I agree that if you purchase new from an ad, you should leave with a watch that fits you perfectly!
Sheldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:41 AM   #83
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
I don't think Rolex is upscale enough to give free links.

However when I bought my Royal Oak, the AP boutique sized the bracelet for me with a 1 1/2 link for free. Also Van Cleef sized a bracelet for my daughter with an extension at no charge. Rolex isn't in those realms. Good thing a steel Rolex link isn't expensive.
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 07:09 PM   #84
Hugo_Weaving
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610V
Great Question! The relationship with the AD certainly plays a role however if it is $60 I would not mind. Luckily my wrist is tiny haha
Hugo_Weaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:08 AM   #85
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I’m not saying an AD shouldn’t offer free links (especially if they are steel). I’m saying customers have no business expecting them for free (especially if they are pm).

As I said before, how would you feel if you didn’t get to keep your spare links that you have removed. You don’t need them, so why should you get them? Same logic as if you need extra ones why should you pay for them? (Genuine question).

Would you expect an AD to give you free gold or platinum links on a watch you buy with a 30% discount?
I agree, I wouldn't expect free PM links or discounts as a first time purchaser or if given a discount on the watch that would help make up for it. I definitely see your inverse point, my position on taking extra links back would be that it would be a poor policy. BC if you wanted to pass along that watch or gift later on or even sell, it should come with full standard links. Now I wouldn't advocate throwing in extra links for the heck of it, but if I am dropping $40k or more in some cases on a PM watch, my AD better give me some sort of discount on the link if not giving outright if my wrist is too large. Probably less an issue on SS since they come with more links as standard though. In the past a 20% PM discount more than made up, if paying full MSRP. Lucky for me, Rolex PM Professionals fit perfectly with the full standard links. But I would push for a discount at time of purchase if it didn't or else I wouldn't purchase. I guess it would depend how much the AD wanted their $10k or $20k profit (Gold to Platinum, though I imagine bejeweled models are much greater)
Old 14 July 2020, 09:03 AM   #86
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I’d walk if the AD tried to have me pay for an extra link that was needed in order for it to fit properly.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 09:14 AM   #87
lkngshrp
"TRF" Member

Good thing I didn’t need an extra link for my Platona. They are a couple thousand each. When I bought it I got a hat and my wife got a vest. Both utterly useless gifts. I would have appreciated a winder...
lkngshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 09:21 AM   #88
Vinnee
"TRF" Member

I don't think so, I'm not that sure though.
Vinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:28 PM   #89
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Good Luck getting free links for any model, perhaps you can get some discount on the links you need. Don't expect the AD to accept your watch as a return if you already bought it and now want more links free of charge. If you aready know you typically need extra links, mention before you buy and see what the policy is at that AD.
Old 14 July 2020, 08:38 PM   #90
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Will Rolex Supply A Free Link To The AD If A Band Is To Small??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Good Luck getting free links for any model, perhaps you can get some discount on the links you need. Don't expect the AD to accept your watch as a return if you already bought it and now want more links free of charge. If you aready know you typically need extra links, mention before you buy and see what the policy is at that AD.

+1

Probably will only get free links as part of an original price negotiation. On PM watches extra links are really expensive so doubt something an AD would give away for free that easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote