The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 11 July 2020, 02:31 AM   #1
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

New Parmigiani Sports Chrono the real Lange Odysseus?

As you’ve probably seen, a brand we rarely talk about and that frankly hasn’t been very inspiring over the course of its last releases has now made one more entry into the ever busier field of integrated bracelet sport watches...

And surprisingly, aside from a fairly rough looking backside, it’s a pretty darn fantastic design.

Anyone else thinking that this new Parmigiani Tondagraphe GT is what the Odysseus should really have looked like, albeit with the Lange dial and movement and slightly more angular lugs?

Obviously it’s not even close in terms of finishing, but the design would really have been bang on with the dial Lange gave its effort in the category.

What do you think?

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 02:39 AM   #2
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I like it! Wish it weren’t 42mm
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 03:17 AM   #3
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Very cool piece. I'm not a big fan of the coin edge bezel, but other than that very well executed. I keep wondering if this brand will ever break out the way other smaller brands like FPJ have managed. For now, a pretty good value proposition for those who like them, especially pre-owned.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 03:38 AM   #4
agentmeister5
"TRF" Member

I love it! Too bad they're limited editions though from what I read.
agentmeister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 06:37 AM   #5
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
As you’ve probably seen, a brand we rarely talk about and that frankly hasn’t been very inspiring over the course of its last releases has now made one more entry into the ever busier field of integrated bracelet sport watches...

And surprisingly, aside from a fairly rough looking backside, it’s a pretty darn fantastic design.

Anyone else thinking that this new Parmigiani Tondagraphe GT is what the Odysseus should really have looked like, albeit with the Lange dial and movement and slightly more angular lugs?

Obviously it’s not even close in terms of finishing, but the design would really have been bang on with the dial Lange gave its effort in the category.

What do you think?
Handle and try an Odysseus on the wrist before you write it off. It’s killer.

mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 08:04 AM   #6
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

New Parmigiani Sports Chrono the real Lange Odysseus?

I’m not sure why you would even
Compare these two watches other than they are “sports” watches from companies that aren’t known for them. They are totally different in aesthetics as well as complication. Personally I don’t find either attractive at all. I want to like the Lange, which I’ve tried on, but think it’s a complete failure in terms of its lugs and bracelet integration. Just my opinion, no offense to Odysseus owners or admirers of Parmigiani.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 08:31 AM   #7
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 08:47 AM   #8
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

(Not my Odysseus unfortunately, but I hope to have one on my wrist pretty soon.)
Old 11 July 2020, 09:15 AM   #9
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
(Not my Odysseus unfortunately, but I hope to have one on my wrist pretty soon.)
I see Chris is on the case
Old 11 July 2020, 09:59 AM   #10
themast
"TRF" Member

You are welcome

1944009.jpg Tonda.jpg
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 05:35 PM   #11
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Thanks

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 11 July 2020, 06:09 PM   #12
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I see Chris is on the case
Indeed... Fingers crossed!
Old 11 July 2020, 08:53 PM   #13
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As much as I love Lange in general and my L1 in particular, this one doesn’t quite match my sense of esthetic. The round case is all too prevalent to be integrated in such way with the bracelet. If the lugs had more presence and wrapped around the case more (as they do on the PF), I feel the design would have been significantly more successful and coherent with the guiding principle of the watch, i.e. to be integrated with its bracelet. The way they actually executed it however makes it look like the lugs have shrunk around the bracelet. I get what they were trying to evoke there and I fully understand why no one in the board room took issue with it, as it’s an intellectually sound idea. But when I take a step back, it just doesn’t look as good as it could have to me.

Since that’s a matter of general proportions, I doubt it would change in person. But it’s a personal view I hold, and I do of course fully respect that your sense of what looks good will inevitably differ.

Old 11 July 2020, 09:00 PM   #14
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As much as I love Lange in general and my L1 in particular, this one doesn’t quite match my sense of esthetic. The round case is all too prevalent to be integrated in such way with the bracelet. If the lugs had more presence and wrapped around the case more (as they do on the PF), I feel the design would have been significantly more successful and coherent with the guiding principle of the watch, i.e. to be integrated with its bracelet. The way they actually executed it however makes it look like the lugs have shrunk around the bracelet. I get what they were trying to evoke there and I fully understand why no one in the board room took issue with it, as it’s an intellectually sound idea. But when I take a step back, it just doesn’t look as good as it could have to me.

Since that’s a matter of general proportions, I doubt it would change in person. But it’s a personal view I hold, and I do of course fully respect that your sense of what looks good will inevitably differ.
Each to their own, and fair enough, but try and see it in the flesh. It just all comes together.
Old 11 July 2020, 09:29 PM   #15
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Each to their own, and fair enough, but try and see it in the flesh. It just all comes together.
If I can find one to look at :) So far, the boutique hasn’t called.

Old 12 July 2020, 01:43 AM   #16
eddie_b
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
That Parmigiani does nothing for me, it looks too similar to many other designs. The Odysseus isn’t my favorite but looks way better and it’s a lot more unique in my opinion. I thought of selling my Lange 1 to get one but it just doesn’t capture me that much.
eddie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:04 AM   #17
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Is it meant to be integrated with the bracelet? Not sure, mine will be on a rubber strap soon so we will get another perspective of the design thought process.
Old 12 July 2020, 02:28 AM   #18
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it meant to be integrated with the bracelet? Not sure, mine will be on a rubber strap soon so we will get another perspective of the design thought process.
Ooh. Can't wait to see it. Custom, or off the peg?
Old 12 July 2020, 03:51 AM   #19
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ooh. Can't wait to see it. Custom, or off the peg?
Custom.
Although the lugs are standard 20mm so I have tried it with my Zeitwerk strap - black with green stitching was not quite the look I wanted.
Old 12 July 2020, 04:30 AM   #20
stateman
"TRF" Member

Really like the Parmigiani 3-hander on the rubber strap (sorry if slightly off topic). Curious to see what these are going for on the used market in a couple years.
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:43 AM   #21
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I guess that’s the intent they had and the way they positioned it in the market. Only reason the WG one has a strap is due to pricing.

Also think the bracelet endlinks are needed visually to balance out the pushers, even if there’s a strap beyond that. They did that nicely on the WG strap versions.

But still much looking forward to seeing the custom strap you had made.

Btw, just realized what your Instagram handle stands for. Love the Scuderia air intakes on the 430.

Old 12 July 2020, 04:49 AM   #22
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Custom.
Although the lugs are standard 20mm so I have tried it with my Zeitwerk strap - black with green stitching was not quite the look I wanted.

Can't wait to see the result. Is it curiosity, or are you not particularly enamoured of the bracelet?
Old 27 July 2020, 07:27 AM   #23
Verbow
"TRF" Member

I really like the blue rose gold three hander. I have a blue VC Overseas three hander - too redundant? I have no rose-gold watches and usually dress casually, so the idea of adding a little gold in the form of another sports watch is appealing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D6B52265-5055-4324-A9DE-26FB9D2DFD5F.jpeg (289.4 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpeg 8623DC28-582F-4FA2-A2F7-1897D635C1EE.jpeg (217.6 KB, 273 views)
Verbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 11:53 PM   #24
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Parmigiani is on top of my list. I love the Lange, but that price point hurts.
Old 28 July 2020, 12:58 AM   #25
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbow View Post
I really like the blue rose gold three hander. I have a blue VC Overseas three hander - too redundant? I have no rose-gold watches and usually dress casually, so the idea of adding a little gold in the form of another sports watch is appealing.
That is a heck of a beautiful watch. What's the retail if you know?
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 10:12 PM   #26
Verbow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
That is a heck of a beautiful watch. What's the retail if you know?
$24,900 for the rose gold on rubber
Verbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 10:43 PM   #27
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote