The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2020, 11:19 AM   #31
Toony
"TRF" Member

Seth, you make some interesting points. I’ve recently let go of a few Rolex and got something else that sings to me. But I kept a few Rolex that mean something to me. I like watches. I like the ones I like. And if I can get them I get them. If I can’t then I move on to something else. My last 2 watch purchases have been Gshocks. That’s what I liked.
Toony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:19 AM   #32
kearez
"TRF" Member

I agree with your points Seth. ADs, the games they play with bundling, the interchangeable waitlists. I get it bottom line is money, its a business.

As a millennial, part of the issue is that Rolexs are seen are status symbols just as LV, and Gucci is, along with an Audi,BMW etc. It doesnt help also today in music every second song people are rapping about Rolexs, APs, Patek. Adds to they are just status symbol of how successful you are.

I purchased my DJ, when I had a huge accomplishment in my life. Loved the design, the size, how looked on my wrist. I tried Omega Aqua Terra, speedmaster, breitling. Nothing compared how the DJ looked and felt.

Rolex will always have it buyers who just buy the watches because they are expensive. For our small group on the forum we know they are more than a status symbol.

Kind of rambling here, but I’d like to see Rolex fix the AD process, have a formal ordered system which doesnt rely on the AD good gracious to bless you with a watch or not.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:20 AM   #33
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I love the Rolex history, brand and obviously their watches.

It's some of the people that own them that I can't stand. Nothing to do with the brand itself.

How they conduct business might not appeal to most, but it's their business model and scarcity (whether people think it's intentionally driven by Rolex or not) is something that generally encompasses Veblen goods.

I'll continue to buy as long as I find them interesting.
Old 13 July 2020, 11:27 AM   #34
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
I totally get the frustration. But does most of it stem from not being able to get what you want from an AD?

Perhaps the watches aren’t the issue, it’s really the AD games we don’t like. If we all knew that we could go on a list and wait 2 months or 6 months we would be ok with that. Being fobbed off or pushed into bundling etc creates an undesirable feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:30 AM   #35
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Hey Seth,

It's all good on my side and I get it. I like my Rolex's but I also dig my IWC, Omega, AP and my very cool Vacheron.

At the end of the day I've always said it, it's only a watch and there are much more things more important.

Hang strong,

Tim
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:32 AM   #36
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
"Recently an article came out praising Rolex for giving us an early Xmas present by showing the world their latest designs. The watches that won’t be out for months and will only go to the very very few anyway. Unless you are willing to pay market value, which I am. Just not for Rolex. At least not today I’m not."

What latest designs??
Old 13 July 2020, 11:33 AM   #37
Off Script
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
I agree with most of your points but I don't agree that Rolex has jumped the shark. I'm not quite at the point of hating Rolex's shenanigans and I'm pretty sure there's little they could do to dissuade me from wearing their references. I really enjoy the pieces in my collection.

AND...

Hit 'em with the Hein!
Off Script is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:37 AM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I understand the sentiment and feel the same way sometimes.

That said, I keep coming back to crown, even tough there are so many great brands out there to experiment with.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:39 AM   #39
kalo925
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD50, PAM-690
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

I just think, for me, I barely even want to wear one anymore. I don’t want to be seen with one on.

But would love to discuss thoughts with anyone that actually doesn’t feel hurt by this and wants to talk watches.
Why would we feel hurt that YOU don't want to wear a Rolex? Thoroughly enjoy wearing mine and my Panerai. Seems you don't want to be seen with a Rolex. Sell what you have and enjoy your others. Ciao
kalo925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:40 AM   #40
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
You bring up some good points. I agree with some of it. People wearing Rolex as strictly a status symbol is nothing new. I would argue that with the increase in popularity of AP and PP with celebrities that Rolex has lost a little bit of that in recent years.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:43 AM   #41
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Rolex has long attracted status seeking folks. But objectively speaking they make the best watches and have the most timeless designs.

I don’t really care what others think, and enjoy mine under my cuff or at home with the family most of time, as do many enthusiasts.

Enjoy the Rolex, don’t over think it.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:44 AM   #42
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
https://youtu.be/t4ZGKI8vpcg

Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:47 AM   #43
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

Completely understand OP. However, pls note that part of the recent (last 3-4 years) Rolex super hype is due to the fact that they are hard to get. It becomes a psychology of wanting something you cannot have. We make relationships, we play the games, we beg dealers for the hot items, and sit by the phone for that special call to give them our thousands of dollars.

If tomorrow Rolex somehow provides us all the watches we all want and produces 5 million a year, I am sure we would all move to another more exclusive brand.

Part of the allure owning a new Rolex Pepsi steel or Daytona C is because it is a super watch, keeps value (due to the demand and lack of inventory), hard to get, and “exclusive”. It has become super hard to get those watches. I am now on year two of waiting for a SkyDweller. But, I am not losing sleep over it. I have looked around for other great options and somewhat glad that has happened.

I am very excited about getting into independents, FP Journe, Akrivia, Atelier de Chronometre, and others. In fact, I also looking at VC and Omega.

Just love watches! I personally don’t let that Rolex game get to me. It is what it is and just roll with it. Explore other options. It is part of the fun.

rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:48 AM   #44
MagPI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Funny - the later years of Rolex is what brought me over to the dark side!
You’re definitely not alone. Especially on this forum....I suspect I am in the minority here.
MagPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:50 AM   #45
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
Great post!

Rolex watches are indeed special. At one point in time, I thought I would only collect Omega watches - I wasn't going to be that "Rolex" guy. Long story short I ended up with two Bond seamasters, a speedmaster and an explorer 2. I tried so hard to reject the Rolex in favor of the Omega's, but failed miserably.

Out of all the watches, the Rolex was the most satisfying to wear - and it hurt to admit it. Even at work, I would wear my Omega's regularly and no one would pay attention, as soon as I put on the Rolex some colleagues heads would move along with my hand gestures; clearly it had something that set it apart.

I have a love/hate relationship with Rolex, but what's the alternative to the current scarcity? What if all the watches were readily available at AD's and on the secondary market for less than retail? Would we be even even more turned off?

I've decided to wear my Timex Ironman to work from now on, I've realized the stigma of wearing a Rolex cannot always be overcome with common sense. I have colleagues that own 10's of 1000's of dollars worth of guns, cars, hunting gear etc. but would antagonize someone for wearing a Rolex watch, or a $100 pair of jeans. It sickens me to think I could wear a $900,000.00 RM53-01 to work without hearing a peep, but a $5000.00 datejust could cause all kinds of gossip.
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:51 AM   #46
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
“Jumping the shark“ comes from when the Fonz, er, jumped a shark, signalling Happy Days’ increasingly desperate measures to keep viewers hooked. Perhaps this is how some fans of older Rolex feel about the company’s current strategies. I don’t. But I think the usage here holds as a matter of opinion.

Regarding Chewbacca’s above post, wish I felt like a tripod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 73284CD8-7058-4DF3-A7C2-EFDAC9E4AE39.jpeg (38.9 KB, 485 views)
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:53 AM   #47
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
Same here, sometimes it's just easier to slip on my Timex.
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:56 AM   #48
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Meh, I like the Rolex watch but I also like other watches in my collection just as much. 30 years of Rolex ownership, I need other designs outside of Rolex to excite my collection. Most Rolex models have that universal “Rolex Look” to the outside world. To be perfectly honest, I would get bored with a collection full of Rolex models alone.
As for dealer arrogance on who gets what models and when is laughable to me. I look at the Rolex dealer network and current attitudes like a McDonalds manager choosing who gets to buy the next BigMac. I’ll pay up to buy steak when I want it.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 11:58 AM   #49
MagPI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I love the Rolex history, brand and obviously their watches.

It's some of the people that own them that I can't stand.
For example?

5DD70CFA-DCDF-45D2-AE8F-081E468AB785.jpeg
MagPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:00 PM   #50
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Rolex attitude towards clientele is a big turn off to me also. They are one of few brands of any kind that likes to play this game.

That said, I like the looks / size / proportions of Rolex SS watches best, compared to other brands in similar price points. I have a small wrist, so most of Omega's / GS watches won't fit. For $10-15k, Rolex really is the best deal, with combination of resell, looks, sizing, history, function, etc. And Hublot and Breitling being cool? I guess it's all subjective, but to me, Hublot watches are ugly as hell.

Where I disagree with the spirit of the OP's post is being frustrated with the brand due to people acting hot and arrogant just because they have a Rolex watch on. For this type of crowd, it's not the Rolex that's the problem. It's them.

Also, I don't buy into the notion that Rolex watch screams success. All it tells me is you have an expensive taste, and you enjoy wearing finer things to the extent that you dropped $10-20k on a timepiece.

Now, if I see a guy with a $3-4M portfolio in mid 30's making mid to high six figure salary, yea I will be impressed at the guy's accomplishments, smarts, and drive.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:03 PM   #51
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

I get it, but I still like the brand. Rolex does innovate, i.e, new movements, albeit slowly, and I like that they are slow to change their models. Longevity of design is important to me, and I think it is why many appreciate their watches - a Sub today is remarkably similar to a Sub from 30 years ago. I too find their availability tiresome as well some of the more recent converts who seem to like Rolex for all the wrong reasons. Fortunately, there are other great manufacturers out there, in addition to Rolex, and I’ve been able to explore and enjoy some great watches from IWC, Cartier and Omega given Rolex’s availability issues.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:11 PM   #52
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
Great post!

Even at work, I would wear my Omega's regularly and no one would pay attention, as soon as I put on the Rolex some colleagues heads would move along with my hand gestures; clearly it had something that set it apart.

I've decided to wear my Timex Ironman to work from now on, I've realized the stigma of wearing a Rolex cannot always be overcome with common sense. I have colleagues that own 10's of 1000's of dollars worth of guns, cars, hunting gear etc. but would antagonize someone for wearing a Rolex watch, or a $100 pair of jeans. It sickens me to think I could wear a $900,000.00 RM53-01 to work without hearing a peep, but a $5000.00 datejust could cause all kinds of gossip.
A lot of members here think this never happens, but it does. Seen it myself, colleague owns an fully loaded truck which their car payments a year are a DJ. Or own a house which they have a huge mortgage on but wearing a Rolex to work creates gossip.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:18 PM   #53
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I can't disagree with you here. From my own perspective I'm glad I hustled up (bought, sold and traded) for a few years and put together what I have in my Rolex collection, my last two were both 5 dgt. pieces and for the first time in a long while I have no Rolex on my radar and have finally been enjoying other brands, some more and some less expensive, new and used ive come to appreciate many more, not just Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:18 PM   #54
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

We have always talked about the “Rolex baggage” for years before anyone ever waited in-line for a Rolex purchase. Some love it and others deal with it. Most enthusiast that hate it moved over to Omega. Funny thing is some new Rolex owners smugly think these Omega owners buy them because they couldn’t afford a Rolex.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:18 PM   #55
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagPI View Post
For example?

Attachment 1148731

Damn son.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:55 PM   #56
Speed
"TRF" Member

Great post!

Yes. Lots of DBs turned on to Rolex due to Instagram etc. every other you tuber with a watch channel talks about Hulks, Batman and Pepsi. Ugh.

Has a little luster come off the Rolex shine? A little bit in my eyes. I still love what I have, but I do tire of the retina burn of the same topics and seeing cases of modern Rolex hoarded by online sellers.

So Taking breaks from TRF and other places is well worth doing...as well as exploring other brands.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 12:56 PM   #57
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
As a non-collector and someone who has never bought from an AD, all this scarcity and bad AD behavior hoopla doesn't effect me. My tastes run from a scant few Rolex models to a Casio G-Shock.

But I understand the connoisseur's frustration with Rolex and their apparent lack of interest in how their customers are treated. On a purely "make the sale" basis they're hitting it out of the park. Rolex sells everything they produce and have folks lining up for whatever comes next. I don't know if their lack of engagement with their customer base will alter buying habits of collectors. I'm thinking probably not.

So many people were saying just a year ago that the age of the smart watch was the end of Rolex. But it looks like folks are buying smart watches AND mechanical watches, not replacing one with the other.

I see douchebags wearing gold President DDs all the time, the kind of person that has no clue what he's wearing or is wearing it only because it is expensive. Hell, I worked with a lot of them. While it tarnished the brand for me for a long time, when I got my 16710 it was for me. And I really don't care what other people wear or what they think of what I wear.

I say the hell with the douchebags. And the hell with Rolex ADs. If I decide to get my second Rolex watch my first (and second) call will be to somebody like @SohAIS, a trusted seller with whom I've done business already. It will probably be an SD4K or an Explorer II. He's honest and open, he has what I want, and there are no games. Refreshing.
Old 13 July 2020, 01:13 PM   #58
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
My problem with other brands is the depreciation. I buy watches, get bored and like to trade in. I got hammered with my Omega, JLC and breitling. The only other 2 that catches my eye are the breitling navitimer and Patek Philippe. I just know I will always go back to Rolex and I know that there is great value behind them as they are in strong demand.
Agreed. Really is the only thing holding me back from other watch brands. The Seamaster 300 is objectively a better watch than a Sub. But unless you are buying used, and even then, you are likely to take a bath when/if you move it on. For me, part of the hobby is the buying and selling, trying out new watches, and for me I can do that easily within the Rolex brand.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:19 PM   #59
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/116500LN/APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemiller69 View Post
I feel this way about most things. The "rich kids" growing up had the newest toys and just beat them up, with no regard for the design and details that were put into them.

I doubt most people really care to learn about references and details on how it came to be, it is mostly just flashy, so they can put it on their instagram to put on a show. But, we all know they still have six figures in student loans.
The term “OK, Boomer” was literally created for responses like this. Please don’t generalize, as no single group appreciates it.
Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 02:04 PM   #60
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I don't necessarily disagree with most of the OPs points. But at the end of the day, when you look around at the $6k-$15K range of watches, which lets be honest is still quite a high amount for most "normal" folks, Rolex just does so many things really really well.

- Quality: They make so many watches but the reliability, durability, and consistency of production is just very very high. Not something to scoff at. Whether its machine made or whatever, its impressive.

- Customer service: I think there needs to be a distinction between how "ROLEX" is treating its customers and what "ADs" are doing. I can honestly say that my best "customer experience" with any watch brand is Rolex. You got an issue? You take it to a Rolex Service Centre, Ive used both the one in London and one in Tokyo. Both absolutely beautiful buildings, very attentive staff, very organised and any Rolex I service, came back perfect and great. Its just great I can walk in and actually talk to a watchmaker that services the watches too. Really good afterservice.

Consistency of Design: Now people can argue that this is either LACKING in innovation or being very confident and consistent but I feel that its important to protect your design language and Rolex does this so well. Look at other brands like Vacheron, Omega, they keep changing what a seamaster or Overseas looks like every season. That can be considered innovative sure, but I prefer that designs remain classic with small tweaks. Its amazing that a watch that was released 20 years ago can be just as sought after and valuable as one that is produced today.

Innovation: Sure, they are no Geurbel Forsey, or FP Journe etc They are not in the market of making cutting edge high complication watches. But doesnt mean they dont innovate. Look at how interesting the Skydweller is! An annual calendar that is so simple to use with no pushers and using the bezel. Imagine how many patents went into that!
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote