The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2020, 06:00 AM   #31
KNFRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
Buy the DJ41 if it's something you are really after. It's widely available in all configurations. You will still have to wait for 6-24 months to get the call for your GMT so don't worry about paying for 2 luxury pieces in quick succession. It's a big enough mental barrier to commit to the first one. If your not in a position to move on it when the call does come, take a hit on your DJ41 to finance it.

That way you can enjoy a Rolex you like/want now, create a purchase history etc. That would be my advice, assuming you don't want to go grey, which, understandably most first time buyers don't.

Forget about the hot pieces, they are simply unobtainable to regular folk like you and me. There are plenty of nice Rolex's readily available to get you started if you are serious about getting into the brand.

A lot of members on here will shoot you down as new posters are frowned upon for expressing frustrations at acquiring hard to get pieces. I get it, anyone who is just getting into the brand over these past few years has went through the exact same thing as what you are going through now.

Sometimes the wait can be a blessing in disguise as the time you spend waiting, looking and researching etc you get to understand what YOU really like and not what the hype train is offering up on IG etc.

You won't find one, quicker you accept that and move on the better. Good Luck in your quest, I hope you can prove me wrong.
Thanks for your support, much appreciated.

I'm indeed getting into the brand and been doing a lot of reading and research, tried on a friend's Batgirl, another one's DJ 41 and they looked just stunning, hence my frustration when I couldn't get these
KNFRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 06:00 AM   #32
KNFRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation View Post
I was once new to Rolex myself, and I had a similar embarrassing situation when I tried posting my frustration on obtaining a 116610LV on the forums.

Have you measured your wrist? I ask this because I recently bought my first Rolex (a Datejust 36) after receiving advice in this thread I started: Datejust 36 or Datejust 41 for Smaller Wrists. If you have a smaller wrist, you will be better off with a Datejust 36. They're also less expensive and should be easier to obtain.
I've actually tried on the TT DJ 41 and the TT DJ 36 (as you can guess, there are tons of them here ..). The 41 sits better on my wrist and the AD also agreed it's the case.
Old 15 July 2020, 06:13 AM   #33
Podmornica
Banned

I am still bugged why people even think they can expect to find something in Spain or Italy, when they couldn't find in their domestic country like France. Obtaining the SS professional model by a foreigner as a walk in customer sounds even more crazy to me than getting it in your own town.
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 06:20 AM   #34
KNFRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podmornica View Post
I am still bugged why people even think they can expect to find something in Spain or Italy, when they couldn't find in their domestic country like France. Obtaining the SS professional model by a foreigner as a walk in customer sounds even more crazy to me than getting it in your own town.
I don't naively think I can walk in, beat all the waitlists and get out with the three models. I simply do because after doing some research in the forum, many claim that some airports can have on display some SS models albeit rare. Plus, I have a close friend who gave me the contact details of his AD in the south of Spain and from whom he bought his Batgirl and a TT Daytona but was wondering if anyone who actually lives in Spain has seen on display any of these models and can recommend it that's all.

No harm in asking I guess, it's the purpose of the forum (among other things) after all isn't it ?

Thanks
Old 15 July 2020, 06:23 AM   #35
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
It took me almost pulling my hair out and rolling on the floor crying to get a Sub date from my AD but only waited 3 months on the list.. just have to be lucky
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 06:26 AM   #36
kdphan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Fitbit
I remember the good old times when I was browsing a Rolex AD on Champs Elysees a few years back.
I was wearing a white dial daytona at the time and the sales associate mentioned they had a BLNR and Hulk available if I was interested, but I can only take one.

Took the BLNR home.

One in a thousand chance of being in the right place at the right time. This will never happen again :)
kdphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 06:29 AM   #37
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
I don't think there is anything wrong with taking care of their good clients. Every business does, its smart business.

You will need to buy pre owned, which isn't a bad thing. The DJ can be had at a discount. So enjoy that one, as its on your list, and be content until you can afford the other two at secondary prices.
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 06:59 AM   #38
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
Buy the DJ41 if it's something you are really after. It's widely available in all configurations. You will still have to wait for 6-24 months to get the call for your GMT so don't worry about paying for 2 luxury pieces in quick succession. It's a big enough mental barrier to commit to the first one. If your not in a position to move on it when the call does come, take a hit on your DJ41 to finance it.

That way you can enjoy a Rolex you like/want now, create a purchase history etc. That would be my advice, assuming you don't want to go grey, which, understandably most first time buyers don't.

Forget about the hot pieces, they are simply unobtainable to regular folk like you and me. There are plenty of nice Rolex's readily available to get you started if you are serious about getting into the brand.

A lot of members on here will shoot you down as new posters are frowned upon for expressing frustrations at acquiring hard to get pieces. I get it, anyone who is just getting into the brand over these past few years has went through the exact same thing as what you are going through now.

Sometimes the wait can be a blessing in disguise as the time you spend waiting, looking and researching etc you get to understand what YOU really like and not what the hype train is offering up on IG etc.

You won't find one, quicker you accept that and move on the better. Good Luck in your quest, I hope you can prove me wrong.
NICE RESPONSE

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 07:01 AM   #39
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I miss the 90’s

2010,2011,2012,2013 was also good for buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 07:08 AM   #40
rachelsung
"TRF" Member

Go to Dubai? I heard that they always have all the collections !!
rachelsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 07:12 AM   #41
KNFRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsung View Post
Go to Dubai? I heard that they always have all the collections !!
A friend who lives in Dubai got his DJ 41 (black dial) from a Bahrain airport, he confirmed to me that no SS model is on display in Dubai at the moment, shortage is real everywhere ..
Old 15 July 2020, 07:16 AM   #42
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I was in Paris in November, visited 3 ADs, one was in the Vendome area. I was wearing my JC DSSD and i guess that was my ticket inside. However, they did say they hadn't seen any sports models in awhile and in fact loved my watch...Similar experience in another area of town but I don't remember where that was exactly. The third was at the Opera shops and they had a YG Sky Dweller some various OPs, PMs, DDs etc., but little else. I love Paris and the French have always been so great and gracious to my wife and I...Cant wait to get back Good luck on your quest...
Old 15 July 2020, 07:16 AM   #43
zjd168
"TRF" Member

for one watch just go grey, you will save more
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 07:21 AM   #44
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
The mantra is "help me and I'll help you."

You wouldn't buy a sports model from the store at MSRP if the market was below retail, right? It's purely a selfish game and AD sales reps are no different from you and me. This is how they make their dough.

Right off the bat, I can think of two things you could do to improve your chances.

1. Forget the name Daytona. It's not going to happen, so the sooner you come to peace with that, the less likely you are to arouse suspicion among the ADs. When you go into the AD, pick one allocation piece (let's say Batman GMT) and ask them how they can help you get one. And when their first line of defenses begin ("sorry, we don't get those often") ask about the type of clientele that actually does get them. At least the conversation will continue from there.

2. Consider asking for a pseudo-allocated piece, like a no-date Submariner. They're rarely (if ever) in the display case, and the AD is more likely than not to dismiss the request as well. Smile politely and ask them to put your name down for one, or at least if you can leave your phone number. They get no-date Subs far more than they care to admit. In a few weeks, you'll get the call- and your account with said AD will commence.

When you do receive your no-date Sub, ask them about that Batman GMT.

What most people don't understand about "investing in watches" is that watches are not the investment. Customers are. The customer who will continue to drop $$$ at an authorized dealer is how the AD makes its bread and butter, and the AD that makes bread and butter is the one Rolex allocates more inventory. When you walk into an AD, the sales folk are immediately gauging the likelihood of you spending money with them on high ticket items. If they believe you are, they'll want to see you spend a little. If they see you spending some, they'll "reward" you with an allocation piece. Yes, I use the term "reward" because that's jut what they're doing: they're giving you a watch with its MSRP substantially below market value, which you could presumably walk out the door and fetch, even if you don't intend to.

Each of their allocation pieces- a GMT, Daytona, Hulk, Sky-Dweller, whatever- is their "capital" to lure in decent spenders. Occasionally someone will get lucky- perhaps the AD sold two Day-Dates that day and is feeling bullish on sales, so they can give a walk-in that Batman; perhaps someone came in from a referral who just bought a Cellini, so that Hulk will go to someone else. Whatever. But don't count on luck if you want to make the most of your trips.
Old 15 July 2020, 07:24 AM   #45
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

You’re not getting a Daytona as your first watch from any Rolex AD in the world. Temper your expectations a bit.
Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 07:43 AM   #46
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Life is brutal. And the world of Rolex watches is this life ...

You don't have any friends here, you have to get every bite yourself, like a hyena fighting a whole herd for its piece of carrion.

Good luck in searching for your piece of happiness!
mario1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 07:55 AM   #47
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Go gray and pay a significant amount over list. However, it's cheaper than buying a couple of watches that you don't want in order to build a "relationship" with an AD. YEAH
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 08:07 AM   #48
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Same situation in Spain unfortunately. I've stopped going inside watch shops if I don't see something I like in the window. This means I probably won't set a foot inside an AD in the foreseeable future unless things change drastically, which I doubt.

I have accepted this new reality with Rolex. I choose to enjoy my current collection and I look at other brands. I could be tempted by a grey trusted seller if I'm desperate to get a particular Rolex model and pay over MSRP, but right now there's nothing I'd want that much. For example I like the Pepsi, but not enough to pay grey market price.

That's cool. It's not that big of a deal. It's business, there's a huge demand for certain models, top tier clients to cater for first and foremost. You've got to pay to play. I get it.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 08:20 AM   #49
Vinnee
"TRF" Member

You expected too much, you got frustrated when they perform to expectation.
Vinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 08:22 AM   #50
kuuttingg
"TRF" Member

Watch: CK2998.SD43.D5000.
kuuttingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 09:33 AM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You should buy grey or keep it moving. ADs aren’t generally worth your time and are typically more expensive than grey unless you buy jewelry too and even then you’re getting fleeced.
Old 15 July 2020, 09:38 AM   #52
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNFRT View Post
A friend who lives in Dubai got his DJ 41 (black dial) from a Bahrain airport, he confirmed to me that no SS model is on display in Dubai at the moment, shortage is real everywhere ..
There is no shortage.

Old 15 July 2020, 09:40 AM   #53
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
I was in Paris in November, visited 3 ADs, one was in the Vendome area. I was wearing my JC DSSD and i guess that was my ticket inside. However, they did say they hadn't seen any sports models in awhile and in fact loved my watch...Similar experience in another area of town but I don't remember where that was exactly. The third was at the Opera shops and they had a YG Sky Dweller some various OPs, PMs, DDs etc., but little else. I love Paris and the French have always been so great and gracious to my wife and I...Cant wait to get back Good luck on your quest...
So your Rolex granted you entry into a Paris AD? Curious as to what in the hell made you believe that?

Old 15 July 2020, 09:52 AM   #54
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronette View Post
Take a trip to the UK you will find something there.
which part of the UK do you suggest? cos you are not getting a sub gmt or any watch you want any time soon

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:08 AM   #55
jakemiller69
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNFRT View Post
Hi all,

Apologies in advances if this is a redundant thread, but I need to get this out of my chest ^^.

So I’m planning on getting my first Rolex for like 2 years now. I’ve been mainly interested in a Daytona, Batgirl and a Datejust II (fluted+jubilee) so was on a hunt for these for quite some time now without any luck.
I’ve paid every AD here in Paris a visit, showed my interest many times by stopping, calling and asking to be in a waitlist. The only lists that are still open obviously are the DJII ones. I’ve heard things from : « The last guy we sold the batgirl two is a a customer with whom we’ve been dealing for 25 years now » to: « we recommend to you to start purchasing other models to build a confidence, watches like a day-date, a TT DJ .. etc » which is very frustrating. I totally understand the fact that old clients should be treated favorably, but I’m not going to buy a day-date while all I can think of is a batgirl on my wrist ...
Not to mention how arrogant some can be when they see a young person coming in and asking for these models. Sometimes they don’t even let me in and just tell me from the door that these models are unavailable...

Anybody with an idea where to find these in Europe ? I’m going to Spain in 2 weeks and will check first in the airports then some ADs there ..

Thanks for taking some time to read and write your opinion.
KNFRT
Just throw some stacks down $$, then your wish will come true. Trust me
jakemiller69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:24 AM   #56
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
I'm curious if that "visit AD often" tactic actually works.
What everybody meant by having a "relationship" with an AD is not as friends, but building a purchase history of other watches, jewelry, etc.

If you just go to a AD like every week and chat it up with them, and not buying anything, does that really work?
Or is the objective here, to annoy them with your presence so that they'll sell you the watch?
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:15 AM   #57
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

unless you $$$$$$$ you're really out of luck to buy the watches everyone wants (ie hulk, BLNR, BLRO, Daytona)

if you owned the business you're want to make your best customers happy who have spent $$$$$$$ over years rather than give it to some unknown person who has spend $O or very little $.

Sucks, I know but its business. It you don't like the tactic(s) either you go grey or you go for another brand.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:21 AM   #58
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
I'm curious if that "visit AD often" tactic actually works.
What everybody meant by having a "relationship" with an AD is not as friends, but building a purchase history of other watches, jewelry, etc.

If you just go to a AD like every week and chat it up with them, and not buying anything, does that really work?
Or is the objective here, to annoy them with your presence so that they'll sell you the watch?
Dont think it works. I just dont understand why some who are newer to this, thinks they can just walk in and get "free" money from an AD....Just buy something, help the AD out a little too! Make a relationship!
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:41 AM   #59
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I think there have never been lists. They just manage the requests and the difficult to get times pieces Rolex or PP go to: clients they really like, old good-spending clients; clients that are new that they like from the minute you start a chat. One thing that helps is to have style, I have noticed that a lot AD’s , here it or in Europe prefer customers they identify with, customers that have a “brand” style and will carry the watch brand well, they sense it after a few minutes of chat.

Be humble, simple, non chalant. Presen a narrative of your interest that shows why you are “special” about watch xxxx.

Good luck.

But a DD40 would be an amazing start of any collection if you can afford.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:47 AM   #60
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

I was in Portugal last summer. For laughs I stopped in at every AD who had Rolex in the window. They have no sport models for sale.
One AD was at a beach resort town, what a joke that was. Can you imagine how many tourists each day walk in and ask for the hard to get pieces?
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote