The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 July 2020, 08:25 AM   #1
s22s2
"TRF" Member

Is it realistic to obtain Hulk / BLNR / BLRO in New Zealand with diamond purchase?

Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend and trying to see if I can use this opportunity to establish a relationship with a jeweler in Auckland, New Zealand who is also a Rolex AD to obtain a Hulk, BLNR or BLRO.

We have been through both AD's in Auckland and seen comparable diamond rings around the NZD $30k mark (approx USD $20k). I have tried to initiate the conversation inregards to a bundle with both AD's and have been given a similar response 'We can't promise or bundle anything, but if you buy the ring from us then you will be in a very favorable position to obtain a steel professional model as we always look after our existing customers first'.

For those who have experience in purchasing from AD's in New Zealand, is it realistic to be offered a Hulk, BLNR or BLRO with a $30k NZD diamond purchase? I have not made purchases from both AD's before. It would also be good if some fellow TRF members can share some of their experiences on the hurdles they had to go through to obtain these pieces in New Zealand.

I know most will tell me to go grey but if I have to purchase the ring anyways then why not try to make the most out of this situation.

Thanks in advance.
s22s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
My god man.

Get your self esteem back.

Find a trusted seller and forego the rock purchase for the opportunity to be special.

(No. I’ve never bought a Rolex in NZ)

Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 08:34 AM   #3
greengold
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s22s2 View Post
Hi guys,

I am in the process of buying an engagement ring for my girlfriend and trying to see if I can use this opportunity to establish a relationship with a jeweler in Auckland, New Zealand who is also a Rolex AD to obtain a Hulk, BLNR or BLRO.

We have been through both AD's in Auckland and seen comparable diamond rings around the NZD $30k mark (approx USD $20k). I have tried to initiate the conversation inregards to a bundle with both AD's and have been given a similar response 'We can't promise or bundle anything, but if you buy the ring from us then you will be in a very favorable position to obtain a steel professional model as we always look after our existing customers first'.

For those who have experience in purchasing from AD's in New Zealand, is it realistic to be offered a Hulk, BLNR or BLRO with a $30k NZD diamond purchase? I have not made purchases from both AD's before. It would also be good if some fellow TRF members can share some of their experiences on the hurdles they had to go through to obtain these pieces in New Zealand.

I know most will tell me to go grey but if I have to purchase the ring anyways then why not try to make the most out of this situation.

Thanks in advance.
I'd play hard ball and say you want the ring..but you need the hulk..then say "help me help you"
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 08:35 AM   #4
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

I’m in the US, but Id guess you would have a chance at a hulk or blnr. You’re likely going to have to wait unless they happen to have one in the back. $20k jewelry should get you something.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 08:51 AM   #5
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
I did this here is the US. I was already going to buy some jewelry and I told them I will not buy the jewelry unless they sell me a BLRO. Of course they didn’t have one. After about an hour of pressing one magically appeared and I got the jewelry and BLRO.
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 08:57 AM   #6
LyingFlat
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41
As someone who knows both ADs quite well, a diamond purchase will only put you into consideration. Both have a significant number of very high spending customers who are always first to be considered.

I wouldn’t try to bundle with them. They are very professional and wouldn’t appreciate that. I would purchase the ring and mention that you are very interested in the Hulk/BLNR/BLRO. They will add you to the interest list. Then I would pop in every 3-4 weeks and have a chat with them.

Subtlety is key with both of these ADs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LyingFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 09:02 AM   #7
s22s2
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your reply! Of the 2 ADs, is there one you would recommend over the other to increase my chances?
Old 15 July 2020, 09:11 AM   #8
LyingFlat
"TRF" Member

Both are pretty good in their own right. It really depends on what kind of relationship you want going forward.

The Hour Glass (formally Mansors) has combined watches and jewellery. However, from my understanding there is a mid-long term plan to move to watches only.

Partridge has their standalone Rolex Boutique. Any purchase through any of their stores around the country will count in your favour. The only problem is that if you buy a ring from their main store, you won’t have a relationship with the individual SA at the Rolex Boutique. If you do decide to go with Partridge, I would go to the Rolex Boutique and ask to speak with Tristan. He is the manager. Say that you are looking for a SS Professional. You’ll get the usual ‘very difficult to get’ etc. say ok and then ask if there is anyone at their main store he could recommend talking to about buying an engagement ring. If you buy it, make sure to pop in and let him know you’ve bought it and then keep going back every few weeks for a chat. He’s a lovely guy and knows his watches. The other bonus with Partridge is that if you are an Air NZ Airpoints member, you earn 1 Airpoint for every $75 of spend. A $30k ring will get you quite a few points...

Old 15 July 2020, 09:15 AM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Not sure the local situation but in general my advice would be to the right ring for your fiancée regardless of its a Rolex AD or elsewhere and part of a bundle or not.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 09:23 AM   #10
s22s2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
As someone who knows both ADs quite well, a diamond purchase will only put you into consideration. Both have a significant number of very high spending customers who are always first to be considered.

I wouldn’t try to bundle with them. They are very professional and wouldn’t appreciate that. I would purchase the ring and mention that you are very interested in the Hulk/BLNR/BLRO. They will add you to the interest list. Then I would pop in every 3-4 weeks and have a chat with them.

Quote:
Both are pretty good in their own right. It really depends on what kind of relationship you want going forward.

The Hour Glass (formally Mansors) has combined watches and jewellery. However, from my understanding there is a mid-long term plan to move to watches only.

Partridge has their standalone Rolex Boutique. Any purchase through any of their stores around the country will count in your favour. The only problem is that if you buy a ring from their main store, you won’t have a relationship with the individual SA at the Rolex Boutique. If you do decide to go with Partridge, I would go to the Rolex Boutique and ask to speak with Tristan. He is the manager. Say that you are looking for a SS Professional. You’ll get the usual ‘very difficult to get’ etc. say ok and then ask if there is anyone at their main store he could recommend talking to about buying an engagement ring. If you buy it, make sure to pop in and let him know you’ve bought it and then keep going back every few weeks for a chat. He’s a lovely guy and knows his watches. The other bonus with Partridge is that if you are an Air NZ Airpoints member, you earn 1 Airpoint for every $75 of spend. A $30k ring will get you quite a few points...

Thanks for your input again LyingFlat. You are correct, Mansors did offer us a slightly better deal with the ring as they are trying to clear our there existing jewellery stock to move onto watches only. I will take your recommendation and pop into see Tristan to get a feel for things this week.
Old 15 July 2020, 09:31 AM   #11
s22s2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks again for your advice especially re: airpoints. You are correct, Mansors gave us a slightly better deal as they said they are trying to clear out existing jewellery to focus on watches. I will go have a chat with Tristan this week to get a general feel for things. Thanks again!
Old 15 July 2020, 09:47 AM   #12
djyolky
Banned

Don't people understand this principle... If you show your cards to the table, you're gonna get burned!

If someone went into a dealer and said, I've got 100k to blow on a diamond ring, can you also get me a Pepsi? Chances are, they'd say, well... It will certainly increase your chances but we can't guarantee anything.

Think about it! As soon as you ask, they have you by the balls.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:26 AM   #13
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Buying the ring without the watch is a $30k gamble... personally I would have portrayed both items as engagement gifts and taken the 'all or nothing' approach.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:45 AM   #14
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
Don't people understand this principle... If you show your cards to the table, you're gonna get burned!

If someone went into a dealer and said, I've got 100k to blow on a diamond ring, can you also get me a Pepsi? Chances are, they'd say, well... It will certainly increase your chances but we can't guarantee anything.

as opposed to buying a ring from them with uncertainty when you could've gone somewhere else/better? why would you do that
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:48 AM   #15
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post

Yup, I would just go with the fiancee to the jeweller store and let her play hard to get with the rings, women are masters at those sort of games. Just giving the dealer a taste of their own medicine in fact.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:55 AM   #16
JeromeAD
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is the way my friend. Also, make some positive social media reviews for their location and stay familiar with them. Best of luck and congrats on your engagement.
JeromeAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:05 AM   #17
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Buying the ring without the watch is a $30k gamble... personally I would have portrayed both items as engagement gifts and taken the 'all or nothing' approach.
This is what I would do, its as to the point as you can get without sounding demanding. But generally couldn't deal with the AD games myself.

I'd like a Hulk, not enough to pay the grey prices, so I just accept that I am not getting one because I couldn't deal with having to suck up to an AD.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:08 AM   #18
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeAD View Post
This is the way my friend. Also, make some positive social media reviews for their location and stay familiar with them. Best of luck and congrats on your engagement.
This is what I wouldn't do. I see no reason to tip toe around the AD, well actually given the current market, I do see a reason to do so. I would just rather buy a different watch/brand.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:11 AM   #19
NYBruin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Yup, I would just go with the fiancee to the jeweller store and let her play hard to get with the rings, women are masters at those sort of games. Just giving the dealer a taste of their own medicine in fact.
I just did exactly this and have a nice Hulk with my name on it.
NYBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 11:16 AM   #20
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Could not agree more, ladies are far more persuasive - and unlike the majority of us - are not 'clouded' by the knowledge of how AD's work.
dukie748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 12:03 PM   #21
jltait
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200
It’s unfortunate diamonds have no intrinsic value. Find the best deal you can on the ring. For the watch, grey is the way.
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 04:37 PM   #22
Ihatecheese
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Could not agree more, ladies are far more persuasive - and unlike the majority of us - are not 'clouded' by the knowledge of how AD's work.
Oh dear.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:07 PM   #23
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

5 years plus ago I’d say you had a chance. Now everyone wants a stainless Rolex and these guys have a tonne of high end customers. Buy the best ring for your fiancée and het on the wait list. Your name will come up eventually. I’ve just clocked 18 months and ticking for a BLRO... lol

gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:23 PM   #24
Hugo_Weaving
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610V
Anything is possible bud, I believe if you genuinely want this beauty it will happen. Maybe not immediately but eventually. Don't lose hope! Cheers
Hugo_Weaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 10:37 PM   #25
Chromosome
"TRF" Member

source the stone from a diamond merchant and have a jewellery maker set it for you. The $ you save use to buy the watch you want from a grey dealer
Chromosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 03:01 AM   #26
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownbelt View Post
I did this here is the US. I was already going to buy some jewelry and I told them I will not buy the jewelry unless they sell me a BLRO. Of course they didn’t have one. After about an hour of pressing one magically appeared and I got the jewelry and BLRO.
really, how much was the jewelry? I might have to try that!
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:11 AM   #27
John McM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Black Dial
I’m sure that you are aware that these watches are available pre-loved at About Time in Remuera on a regular basis. Equally you’ll know that their pricing reflects the World market i.e. between 33% and 50% premium on the AD new price.

I spoke to Tristan before I bought my watches. He was polite in saying that they are not taking deposits or making lists. He also said the wait for a Sub would be 18 months at least with no certainty of actually getting one. I assumed the market would hold where it is I just bought on the Grey market and am wearing the watches now. One of them, the Sub, was sold new by Partridges in 2019.

Even if a bundle was available I would be wary. I had a diamond ring made up at a manufacturing jeweller at a significant discount to the counter stock at Stewart Dawsons (then comparable to Partridges) and note that the 18k gold jewellery I bought my wife 20 years ago at Partridges is still only worth half its purchase price in actual gold value.

I can see why you would want to explore this possibility. I just think if it was as simple as this then About Time wouldn’t have such a good business. Good luck.
John McM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 07:08 AM   #28
LyingFlat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input again LyingFlat. You are correct, Mansors did offer us a slightly better deal with the ring as they are trying to clear our there existing jewellery stock to move onto watches only. I will take your recommendation and pop into see Tristan to get a feel for things this week.
Quote:
Thanks again for your advice especially re: airpoints. You are correct, Mansors gave us a slightly better deal as they said they are trying to clear out existing jewellery to focus on watches. I will go have a chat with Tristan this week to get a general feel for things. Thanks again!
No problem at all s22s2. Good luck in your search and congrats on your engagement!
Old 16 July 2020, 07:49 AM   #29
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
Don;t ask them if it is possible, just tell them you can buy the ring in a few places and you will buy it from them if they also sell you a steel sports. One will say yes. All the good watches are in the back. You will get your bundle if you propose the deal to a few dealers
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 08:17 AM   #30
LyingFlat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyM View Post
Don;t ask them if it is possible, just tell them you can buy the ring in a few places and you will buy it from them if they also sell you a steel sports. One will say yes. All the good watches are in the back. You will get your bundle if you propose the deal to a few dealers
Unfortunately it's not usually that simple here in NZ. Each AD (only 2 in Auckland) receives around 30 pieces a month. I've been told that the number of SS models in each shipment varies between 30-50% which are primarily DJs and OPs. I know last month the only professional models received by one of the ADs were a TT Sub (pre-sold) and a PM Sub (put in the window and sold within a few hours).

The only way to get SS professional models here is to have a good purchase history and a friendly relationship with the AD. Auckland has a a very high number of cashed-up people. The current business models of each of the ADs focuses on the lucrative local Chinese & Indian populations. When borders re-open, the focus will move back to high-spending Asian visitors.